V11 suspension lubrication?

Tryptych

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tryptych said:

I'm bumping this post... has anyone ever lubed their V11's sliders? What works?

I’ve experimented with grease and bicycle oil and they work but also gather dust. @mrelwood came up with the idea of using candle to put some stearin on them and that should work as lubricant without gathering dust there. I’ll try that next time I do maintenance on mine. 

• Like 1

Different EUC, but I use WD40 PTFE dry lube for my S18's suspension sliders. Very easy to apply and its dust/dirt resistant. Made a big difference in reducing suspension friction for my wheel. That said, I do find myself having to reapply the lubricant after a few trail days (between 25-50 trail miles depending on conditions and terrain). It lasts a long while if I'm only riding in the city or in places that don't tax the suspension like crazy, but for some of the technical trails I visit, the combination of excessive dirt/dust and really bumpy, rocky terrain seems to consume the lubricant quite a lot faster. For reference, I'm riding trails like this or this

Edited by Whalesmash

On 1/4/2021 at 10:25 PM, UniVehje said:

I’ve experimented with grease and bicycle oil and they work but also gather dust. @mrelwood came up with the idea of using candle to put some stearin on them and that should work as lubricant without gathering dust there. I’ll try that next time I do maintenance on mine. 

I lube my bike chain with a wax based product.  White Lightning Chain Lube.  This keeps my MTB chain clean while reducing wear, I will give it  shot and let you guys know.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 6:10 PM, Rich Sam said:

I would like to get an official answer as well!  I'm a new owner this wheel and I don't see any mention in the user's guide.

The question has been asked both here and on WhatsApp and telegram but so far it has not been answered by Inmotion. 

I directly they said the suspension system as such is maintenance free. Meaning you don't have to clean it after each use, but will have to refill air pressure once month in lower chamber and less frequently in upper chamber.

If you big temperature changes you need to check it too. 

But nothing about lubricants. But I would avoid any oil/liquid form as that tends to trap dust/sand. I am not sure how other chemicals reacts with materials. I recall years back to have some spray of dry Teflon bases chain lubricant for my bicycles.

But I don't have this right now and have due to this not tested it. And I don't recall if there are other chemicals in that type of products. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What about Lithium grease? it is considered the best and even the pro competition bycicles, motorcycles, etc use it. 

I actually saw a post about placing lithium grease on the tire air chamber valve of the V11 so that it would be easier to srew in the air pressure adapter when needing to inflate the tire.

Would lithium grease work well on the suspension rail?

3 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

What about Lithium grease? it is considered the best and even the pro competition bycicles, motorcycles, etc use it. 

I actually saw a post about placing lithium grease on the tire air chamber valve of the V11 so that it would be easier to srew in the air pressure adapter when needing to inflate the tire.

Would lithium grease work well on the suspension rail?

I wouldn’t use white lithium grease as it would attract a lot of dust and dirt.

I use Blaster Advanced Dry Lube with Teflon. You only need a little and use the provided red tube.

EDIT: Image of the lubricant. About $4.49 from Home Depot.

810WFJPwE-L._AC_SY879_.jpg

Edited by EUC_user

On 1/6/2021 at 11:33 AM, Rich Sam said:

I lube my bike chain with a wax based product.  White Lightning Chain Lube.  This keeps my MTB chain clean while reducing wear, I will give it  shot and let you guys know.

I use this lubricant. One light coating eliminated the excessive squeaking. Months later no clinging debris or damage to the suspension and still pretty quiet. Will probably do another coating for spring/summer in May.

I'm curious what they use on hydraulic pistons, on backhoes and other large equipment. They operate in dirt and have to contain high pressures (not air, but still). Whatever they do use probably isn't compatible, but it seems to always be shiny! It's probably lubed with the hydraulic fluid that leaks past the seals come to think of it.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I don’t know really, but am always reluctant to use oil based lubes on anything that is exposed to dust and dirt. For our bikes, we’ve being using something called Boeshield T9 for chains, cables and derailleurs. It is paraffin based and has worked nicely, haven’t worn any chains out and the better half rides a fair bit. But that’s a bike, not a suspension so again, I really don’t know what’s best.

This stuff was developed for airplanes, I have no idea what it was used for but the bike nuts around here won’t use anything else. On their bikes.

Edited by Tawpie
delete attachment
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Looks like your WD-40 is just the regular oil based lubrication. What was mentioned was a special “dry lube” that includes PTFE (teflon) in a compound that evaporates after applying. Anything that remains wet will get dust and sand to stick in the rails, making them wear faster.

Inmotion’s response was that the rails do not require lubrication. Perhaps so, but lubing definitely does make the suspension smoother and it also lasts longer.

I experimented with two dozen different lube compounds in the autumn. The sliding mechanism is pretty effective in pushing the grease away from where it’s needed, and the thin leftover layer wasn’t usually effective in actually lubricating the plastic to aluminum contact.

Unless you manufacture something like UHMWPE, actual PTFE, or even nylon sliding bits by yourself, I definitely recommend repeatedly using an ample amount of wax or at least dry lube on the rails.

I'm going to investigate the wax and dry lube more. There are not that many of those on regular stores. Maybe I'll go to a bike store. Thanks for the help @mrelwood

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I don’t know really, but am always reluctant to use oil based lubes on anything that is exposed to dust and dirt. For our bikes, we’ve being using something called Boeshield T9 for chains, cables and derailleurs. It is paraffin based and has worked nicely, haven’t worn any chains out and the better half rides a fair bit. But that’s a bike, not a suspension so again, I really don’t know what’s best.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0ca3399c4f81f01ac2c6fb6dbbcb44a.jpeg

This stuff was developed for airplanes, I have no idea what it was used for but the bike nuts around here won’t use anything else. On their bikes.

Like @mrelwoodmentioned my WD-40 isn't the right one and I doubt that I'll find the PTFE variety here.

BIKE STORE IT Is. They'll know where to buy the right products. 

Thanks @Tawpie

4 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Like @mrelwoodmentioned my WD-40 isn't the right one and I doubt that I'll find the PTFE variety here.

BIKE STORE IT Is. They'll know where to buy the right products. 

Thanks @Tawpie

Teflon = PTFE.

So, if you find any dry lubricant with Teflon (a brand name) you should be good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

@Tawpie I  think there is that one for sale here in Portugal, since I saw a Portuguese webpage announcing it. I'll go and look for a store. 

here:

Lubrificante Seco PTFE - WD-40

One more tip: Make sure the product you buy is indeed announced as “dry lubrication” and not just that it includes PTFE. Some wet lubricating products include PTFE as well, but since they stay wet, they again collect dust and sand.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

One more tip: Make sure the product you buy is indeed announced as “dry lubrication” and not just that it includes PTFE. Some wet lubricating products include PTFE as well, but since they stay wet, they again collect dust and sand.

I'm only getting the WD 40 one, thanks. 👍

https://www.wd40.com/products/dry-lube/

there are other brands as well. You should be able to find something useable at any reputable auto parts dealer. Motorcycle shops may also have a form of dry lubricant that can be used on motorcycles chains. You want some high priced stuff, theres your answer. Here at ShanesPlanet, I sometimes like to use simple beeswax for things. Just merely for the fact that Im too lazy to dig thru my cans. That, and I like bees, job security is something they deserve! Motorcycle forks use liquid oil as lubricant. The reason they dont collect too much dirt on the tubes is that the seals clean as they move. Even when you THINK the forks on a bike are bone dry, the tiniest bit of oil is typically left on the surface. Even an oil lubricant can be fine, you just have to NOT leave excess at all, and repeat cleaning and oiling regularly. No build up should be tolerated.

Update your signature, we gotta keep track of whos the big gamblers here. With just the 16x showing, we may mistake you for being sensible.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

https://www.wd40.com/products/dry-lube/

there are other brands as well. You should be able to find something useable at any reputable auto parts dealer. Motorcycle shops may also have a form of dry lubricant that can be used on motorcycles chains. You want some high priced stuff, theres your answer. Here at ShanesPlanet, I sometimes like to use simple beeswax for things. Just merely for the fact that Im too lazy to dig thru my cans. That, and I like bees, job security is something they deserve! Motorcycle forks use liquid oil as lubricant. The reason they dont collect too much dirt on the tubes is that the seals clean as they move. Even when you THINK the forks on a bike are bone dry, the tiniest bit of oil is typically left on the surface. Even an oil lubricant can be fine, you just have to NOT leave excess at all, and repeat cleaning and oiling regularly. No build up should be tolerated.

Update your signature, we gotta keep track of whos the big gamblers here. With just the 16x showing, we may mistake you for being sensible.

ahhhh @ShanesPlanet...thank God you showed up, I was thinking you were MIA. I got the one on your link just an hour ago, the WD-40 PTFE. And I'm totally supportive of bees to0. We'd all die quite fast if they die. Bees are sacred creatures that keep the ecosystem balanced.

I will change my sig and add the other "wheel from Hell" that I bought from my friend. It has been a great experience in riding two entirely different wheels and you were 100% right when I went for the 2nd 16X and you said it should be a different type. But hey, we all learn with our mistakes a lot more than with our virtues. 

Maybe you'll still get a chance of saying: "I told you so, Paulo..." with the V11. But for now it's a new experience, with a lot of leg comfort and new sensations and it's been worth it...up to now. The future will decide, my dear friend. :D

• Like 1