EUCs and Winter!!!!!

CharlesRomer

On 1/25/2022 at 4:53 AM, Foo Barstein said:

Any recommendations for gloves for temperatures around freezing that include wrist guards?  i'm currently pulling gloves over my guards - it works, but it's uncomfortable and I prefer less bulky gloves.

I use my snowboarding gloves that have inbuilt wrist guards. They work great when it’s cold.... I bought mine in a Ski shop in Italy, but I’m sure you’d find them online. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kobashigawa said:

Riding during subpar conditions raises your skill level, aside from the risk of salt ruining bearings (hasn't happened to me yet, I've had some squeaking noise, but seems to have self healed..) it's positive all things considered.

Thick grease layer around axle, bearings will protect them. I changed mine after 100km (They where fine, i was inside motor so changed them same time..)

There where sand/dirt around them. Around the housing where the bearing where seated in. (From inside of motor) Because they where simply seated inside with no grease or anything. Water/dirt could simply go true..

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 6:59 PM, Darrell Wesh said:

Add a wristband phone holder with the stylus and you can text with thick bulky gloves and wrist guards like you’re not wearing anything. 

Nice idea.  My iPhone SE dies in the cold (which combined with lower-than-usual battery charge in winter makes me nervous when I can't check battery status).

On 1/28/2022 at 8:57 AM, Nostris said:

I use my snowboarding gloves that have inbuilt wrist guards.

That sounds promising, thanks!  I didn't know about these.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:19 AM, Planemo said:

I've never understood why anyone would want to dick about on a phone whilst riding, period.

Yes, seems ill-advised.  I usually stop or go very slowly, but still don't want to take my gloves off.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:33 PM, kobashigawa said:

Riding during subpar conditions raises your skill level

Definitely, and makes you more cautious.  I just spilled on the smooth floor inside NYC's Grand Central Terminal (yes, I know... but I had to rush to a departing train) after riding on the slushy streets no problem with the stock S18 tire. Will be switching to a knobby tire soon to get to those trains.

7 hours ago, Foo Barstein said:

Will be switching to a knobby tire soon to get to those trains.

A hard knobby is even more slippery on a smooth floor though. So you’ll have to catch up during riding outside.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 8:42 PM, Funky said:

Thick grease layer around axle, bearings will protect them. I changed mine after 100km (They where fine, i was inside motor so changed them same time..)

There where sand/dirt around them. Around the housing where the bearing where seated in. (From inside of motor) Because they where simply seated inside with no grease or anything. Water/dirt could simply go true..

Next time opening it I'll be sure to do that! I recently had to repair some cracks in the inside shell which was a pain so I was so grateful to put it all together and being able to ride it without washboard issues again, this thing is more addictive than crack cocaine ngl.. Thanks, yeah, the wheel has seen almost 11000km by now (bought used at slightly less than half) so I'm sure there's plenty of particles collected inside of it. Any particular grease recommendations?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kobashigawa said:

Next time opening it I'll be sure to do that! I recently had to repair some cracks in the inside shell which was a pain so I was so grateful to put it all together and being able to ride it without washboard issues again, this thing is more addictive than crack cocaine ngl.. Thanks, yeah, the wheel has seen almost 11000km by now (bought used at slightly less than half) so I'm sure there's plenty of particles collected inside of it. Any particular grease recommendations?

I did a tread that includes that, and how i removed bearings. If you can find a "thicker" grease, that would work better.(Around axle/bearing) Can always walk in those "bearing" or "motor" shops and ask for thick grease. xD

Edited by Funky

On 2/3/2022 at 3:31 AM, mrelwood said:

A hard knobby is even more slippery on a smooth floor though. So you’ll have to catch up during riding outside.

Oh no!  I don't intend to ride indoors except in exceptional moments, so that should be fine.  I was surprised to slip and the way I did... I was turning relatively slowly, but the tire was wet from outside.  It has made me a bit nervous about possibly slipping on the street now... I've considered trying to slip on a wet street on purpose to gauge how likely that is.

22 minutes ago, Foo Barstein said:

I've considered trying to slip on a wet street on purpose to gauge how likely that is.

Low speed controlled and uncontrolled crashing is the best way to develop your recovery/bail skills. Wet grass is probably a good place to start.

I might be an exceptionally terrible rider, but in my experience in the beginning I was crashing all the time, nowadays it still happens occasionally just not as much. A couple of months  back I was going through wet leaves, which I usually handle no bother so I though lets try a very slight carve... very slight... over I went. OK wet leaves good, carving in not so much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Low speed controlled and uncontrolled crashing is the best way to develop your recovery/bail skills.

Yes, that's why I crash once every 20km :). Just yesterday I was doing a smooth "turn&stop" maneuver on the sidewalk approaching a crossing in order to wait for the pedestrian green light and the stock tire slipped on some random ice patch. I fell neatly on my side like a statue. I wear armored shorts in winter due to frequent falls (in addition to the knee, elbow, wrist guards and helmet) so no harm done! I manage to recover in roughly 25% of the serious cases [when the wheel slips far from under me]. There are also fun surfaces where traction is constantly lost and regained but the wheel stays roughly where it should - usually uneven ice with dug-up, chaotic snow on top.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, yoos said:

Yes, that's why I crash once every 20km :). Just yesterday I was doing a smooth "turn&stop" maneuver on the sidewalk approaching a crossing in order to wait for the pedestrian green light and the stock tire slipped on some random ice patch. I fell neatly on my side like a statue. I wear armored shorts in winter due to frequent falls (in addition to the knee, elbow, wrist guards and helmet) so no harm done! I manage to recover in roughly 25% of the serious cases [when the wheel slips far from under me]. There are also fun surfaces where traction is constantly lost and regained but the wheel stays roughly where it should - usually uneven ice with dug-up, chaotic snow on top.

Studding your tire fixed all "slipping" issues, for my dad.. I'll be studding my tire also for next winter.

Any tire can be studded with little DIY. (That i already mentioned in this tread.. :D)

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Funky said:

Studding your tire fixed all "slipping" issues,

At the moment I enjoy the challenge. I also don't want to change tires twice a year :). Part of my commute is rather slick tiles where traction might actually get worse from studs. Perhaps some time later down the road, I will have a dedicated winter EUC with studded tire.

Many Moscow riders use unstudded winter tires and it's good enough. Exposed ice is quite rare due to all the salt -- we mostly deal with snow or slush. It's the special just-below-freezing weather that leads to quick formation of ice in certain places around buildings. I'll eagerly wait for your report on how the K66 feels on the 18XL. By the way, what's the point of the K66 if you are sitting out the snowy weather? :PI have the same hex pedals+hangers on my 18L so it's prepared for higher-profile tires.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, yoos said:

At the moment I enjoy the challenge. I also don't want to change tires twice a year :). Part of my commute is rather slick tiles where traction might actually get worse from studs. Perhaps some time later down the road, I will have a dedicated winter EUC with studded tire.

Many Moscow riders use unstudded winter tires and it's good enough. Exposed ice is quite rare due to all the salt -- we mostly deal with snow or slush. It's the special just-below-freezing weather that leads to quick formation of ice in certain places around buildings. I'll eagerly wait for your report on how the K66 feels on the 18XL. By the way, what's the point of the K66 if you are sitting out the snowy weather? :PI have the same hex pedals+hangers on my 18L so it's prepared for higher-profile tires.

Then have a look at K42 80/80-14 tire it's height is ~64mm (K66 being 58mm, and there's plenty room left height wise, can put whole finger in, so 64mm height should fit.) Width with cutting will be same 66-68mm..

I'm thinking about getting that for next winter. And stud it, if i will like K66 at the end. xD

As for ridding, i'm simply not "riding" at the moment.. I think on icy, snowy roads unstudded K66 will slip like crazy, that's why mainly.. I bought K66 for summer.. I wasn't planning ridding this winter yet.. As i "just" recently bought the 18xl.

Yeah i can see on tiles it will slide like crazy with studs.

We don't have any tiles on our paths. Changing tire takes ~2hrs. So it's worth in my mind.

Edited by Funky

24 minutes ago, GregGenge said:

I am looking for a studded tire for winter riding for my KS16X which is a 16x3.0 tire. Is there a studded tire or knobby tire thatI could stud myself that fits. I am in Calgary Canada, and those patches of ice are killer.

Check tire section, there have been mentioned some 16x3 tires. <3

Simply buy any and stud it. (Already studded there won't be, sadly.)

Edited by Funky

2 hours ago, Eucner said:

A good winter tire needs to have studs, soft hydrophilic rubber compound and tread pattern with thin slips and deep open gaps.

Like "we" have giant list, to chose from winter tires for euc. Especially in 16x2.125, 16x3 or 18x2.5,tire size. Simply buying any "summer" tire and studding it does the trick.

Much better than having regular tire with no studs at all.

Then again, if you can find any "great" winter tire in that size? I have seen maybe 1-3?

Edited by Funky

On 1/19/2022 at 2:06 PM, lazybones99 said:

Just to be clear - is it ok to store a wheel in the (cold) garage as long as I’m not riding it?

Storing a wheel in the will be OK (much better than in heat) - I would occasionally top up the charge.  If you mean is it safe - see the fire thread for mitigation/safety info etc...

I have discovered that riding on low inflation tire greatly increases traction and stability in winter (duh!). Bigger contact patch... You can see this simply by the width of the track imprint of high psi vs low psi - the contact patch is easily 3 times as wide...

Anyone still looking for winter gloves I've been wearing these, they hold up well on their own until 10f @40mph. Colder than that and I wear some wool/fleece thin gloves underneath them. I slipped on ice a few weeks back and my wrists aren't broken so there's that.

https://www.amazon.com/d/B07WCYRJLG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...