Inmotion 2021, let the talk begin...

Unventor

I think they should come out with a new unit without suspension but with the same motor and possibly more battery.  Also a 100V V11 would be a great wheel also.

I would also like to see an ultra light model to compete with the Mten3

He did call the "v12" a sherman competitor on Black Cobras interview. I expect that means a 3000wh class battery which naturally should be 100v.  It needs to be in the 45 mph class though, idk if 40 will get it done with the way their tiltback settings work.  35 might be riding tiltback, 45 mph would move that tilt up to 40ish and let you cruise comfotable in the high 30s. 

I wonder what size tire it will have, something 18" like the sherman, or something 22"+ like a monster pro. I really hope they bring some control board redundancy into the fold somehow with this wheel. 

The v11 introduced the battery redundancy feature which is awesome, i expect this comes with every new inmotion wheel.  If they can figure out redundancy in the control board , we would have fairly "malfunction  proof " machine theoretically. Something like just an emergency dummy board that in the event of a failure can switch on and try to hold you. Wouldnt help.much with an overlean but it could prevent some falls for sure.

• Like 1

Gah. I just put in a V11 pre-order, then I hear this?! Maybe I should cancel and wait, I've waited this long already.... 

But I love what Inmotion is doing, stepping up its game and challenging all its competitors in segments they thought they were safe in. 

Edited by onizukagto
  • Like 3

Well they did talk about a new 16" wheel (likely the V12) and a later 20" wheel too. But they only hinted things not full blow release details yet.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Offer it for under $3K USD.

InMotion: if you want to take over the world - that's the secret recipe.... Start punching!

$3K USD !!! I think your idea of how much the rest of the world is willing to spend on an electric unicycle is perhaps a little skewed ;) 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tryptych said:

The V11 is ground breaking, don't try to re-invent the wheel - just improve on it: 100v 18" with suspension, more battery, more durability, built in adjustable powerpads, built in adjustable flypads, plus an A.I. lamp. Include a removable seat. Don't exceed 65lb. Offer it for under $3K USD.

Agreed! Can you imagine the V11 with double the battery (would only add one inch on each side) or a 18'' equivalent?:dribble:

• Like 3

Suspension is the future, why make another fast moving tank?  Problems with the V11 bearings and the sadle-piece are  a symptoms of a very serious problem: Lack of QC.  Delivering the new bearings to the customers takes for bloody ever.  Get a friggin grip Inmotion.  Needing 2 overpriced chargers  is not OK .

For how long will this construction live ?  As always I agree with mrelwood 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 3:38 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

$3K USD !!! I think your idea of how much the rest of the world is willing to spend on an electric unicycle is perhaps a little skewed ;) 

Tell that to Veteran (the seem to be doing fine with the Sherman) 

The V11 is 2K. If you want the upgrades I listed  - they aint coming for free.

Edited by Tryptych

On 11/4/2020 at 1:14 AM, mrelwood said:

The suspension is 100% where it’s at from now on. I now have very little interest in any EUC that doesn’t have suspension.

Nah, its not. Such bold claims. Suspension is nice I'm sure, but it is also part of a larger list of compromises. It stand to reason that a non-suspension euc will have less moving parts and less maintenance. Well, in a world where companies made things properly. I'm sure the first person to ride a bicycle with shocks on it, may have thought the same thing. Here we are, decades later, and bicycles without shocks are VERY common. Suspension adds weight. Couldnt you put more batteries into the same size of wheel, IF it didnt have suspensions? Suspension add more complexity. Suspensions add tighter requirements for build specs. Suspensions require more maintenance and more parts. Suspensions MAY be great, but its not the ONLY answer and I doubt it ever will be the ONLY answer. Its great you love your new v11, I can smell the adoration in all of your latest posts. Lets look back in another year or two see how it shakes out.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Nah, its not.

To better express what I’m thinking I should’ve added “for me“ after “where it’s at”. I fully agree with everything you said about suspension. It’s still a long way to go for manufacturers to get to a point where suspension would be free from teething issues.

I would argue though that suspension on an EUC is much more needed than on bicycles. Bicycle with suspension is more comfortable, EUC with suspension is quitea bit safer. Just the level of concentration in traffic and the rest of the world around me has increased much more I could’ve ever anticipated.

I would also argue that having two otherwise identical EUCs for sale with just a few hundred dollars of difference, the non-suspended EUC wouldn’t do very good with sales. It does seem pretty clear that the customer base of 2k$ and above wheels is already tipping heavily towards EUCs with suspension. The fact that it hasn’t been even 6 months since the first one came out, the direction does seem very clear.

Smaller EUCs would benefit from the safety aspect of the suspension even more. I’m expecting that the first 16” sub 20kg EUC with even a humble amount of suspension travel will easily be the new king on the markets. As long as the wheel doesn’t have any glaring issues of course.

• Like 3

I am interested in a 2500Wh 100v wheel.  Preferably a big 20-24" tire. Something that competes with the Monster as I think the Sherman is a bit biased on speed  I am not interested in top speed but interested in reasonable acceleration torque, and gyro like stability.  I already have a mild wheel for cruising an hour around the block. I want a weekend warrior to explore Islands and resort towns.  

22 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Nah, its not. 

Suspension is most definitely a game changer - I'll never buy another wheel without suspension and I suspect most V11 / S18 owners are going to be in the same boat.  Once you get used to it you realize it's only a good thing, not just for comfort, but for safety as well. There are no drawbacks - the increased complexity/maintenance argument is weak.

Not having suspension on a EUC makes about as much sense as not having it on a car or motorcycle.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

Suspension is most definitely a game changer - I'll never buy another wheel without suspension and I suspect most V11 / S18 owners are going to be in the same boat.  Once you get used to it you realize it's only a good thing, not just for comfort, but for safety as well. There are no drawbacks - the increased complexity/maintenance argument is weak.

Not having suspension on a EUC makes about as much sense as not having it on a car or motorcycle.

I agree its a game changer. But, just as in the more applicable comparison with bicycles, there is still a place for simplicity. I never entertained the suspension bicycles as there was no personal need. If i had a need, I would have shopped them. The complexity argument is NOT weak. How many pages of suspension tweaks and rework and issues have we seen so far? Even once it's fgured out, suspension will still be a source for increased maintenance. My suspension bikes require regular maintenance, why would any other suspension that's remotely effective, differ?  I can see where BOTH wheels have a place in the market. I dont think EVERYONE will want to muck with suspensions and when costs start to come down on simplistic non-suspension models, there also will be a market for it. Maybe suspensions will become the lions share of the market. You are also free to never bother with a non-suspension wheel. Personally, I will continue to entertain the fact that I may enjoy both. Im waiting for next season. If they still arent illegal around here and I'm not broken to bits, I'll be revisiting the suspension wheels of course! :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Bicycles are 200+ years old, not a very good comparison for EUCs that use cutting edge technology. A comparison to electric scooters is maybe a bit more suitable.  These days all the good scooters have suspension - the rest are cheap and crappy. I think it will be the same with EUCs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tryptych said:

No, it doesn't. You can use your knees as suspension - and other artful movements like 1cm hops on an EUC - just like in street skateboarding. You can't on a car or motorcycle.

That's why many of the most popular EUC YouTubers this year vouch for the Sherman. I can't imagine the car/motorcycle enthusiast community would vouch for a fast, long range car or motorcycle without suspension. The absence of suspension would be unthinkable to them, but it's not unthinkable for EUCs - nay, there are some benefits to the absence of suspension. For me, I actually prefer to use technique to stabilise and soften my riding rather than relying on built-in suspension. Non-suspension EUCs complement my riding style.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tryptych said:

[Suspension] There are no drawbacks - the increased complexity/maintenance argument is weak.

Cost is one a draw back - all these suspended wheels cost more than their non suspended counterparts. The extra weight of most of these wheels means you need to be superman to lift them up a flight of stairs (the EX and V11 particularly). The main issue for me though is how fragile these wheels seem to be -  they either fall to bits or need continual fettling to keep running. 

4 hours ago, Tryptych said:

A comparison to electric scooters is maybe a bit more suitable.  These days all the good scooters have suspension - the rest are cheap and crappy. I think it will be the same with EUCs.

Scooters have very small wheels so the tyres just aren't big enough to absorb, or travel over, bumps in the road . EUC tyres are much bigger so they don't have the same problem. Suspension obviously helps but you currently have to accept that a wheel with suspension is going to be more costly, heavier and more fragile than the same wheel without suspension. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 7:14 AM, mrelwood said:

One more thing. A tire change shouldn’t involve disassembling of the main board. On a car, you don’t need to disassemble the ECU or the motor to change tires. It wouldn’t matter that much of the tire was to be changed only once it wears out (@ 5000km), but many of us live in areas where the tire must be changed twice or even for times a year to be able to properly ride.

I agree but i would also fancy at least 50% more battery and the go home mode gone home

Would love these cool things in future EUC's:

• Tire pressure sensor and warnings when pressure hits a certain number.
  • Better, more stable kickstands.
  • Radar like on the Garmin Varia that alerts the user when an object gets closer. The Garmin also pulsates its rear light faster when an object approaches.
  • Tires that are easy to change.
  • Maybe a blocky seat that also doubles as a handy parking block/stand.
  • More integration with Apple Watch (maybe a horn that's easy to access?).
  • More weatherproofing.
  • Like 1