16X versus all the rest

Im eyeballing for a 3rd wheel. (and final one for a longggg time)

My first wheel was 16S.

I like the 16S but then i bought the 16X , and so far it is main wheel...

However,  i'm still not comfortable with the 16X  going past 20mph,  and it is kind of uncomfortable to ride  for long distance. Dont get me wrong, it is a fun wheel . i have had some wobble issues (not much now since i figured out my stance and PSI for the time being) 28psi and duck footed with heels on top of the edge of the back pedal, toes hanging off.

Now i'm eyeballing for a 3rd wheel. (and the last wheel for a longggggggg time)

I'm thinking about a GOTWAY R19 S or T,      OR v11...   

EDIT for clarification: Im looking for a VERY comfortable , VERY stable ride that can reach higher top speed limit than 16X, with better torque. 

Im looking for range like the 16X has, the maneuverability like the 16S, and something comfortable and stable near top speed.  I was thinking the 18XL or the V11 may be the best bet, but also im curious about the sherman as well. I don't know anything about Gotway.

Let's discuss....what wheel you think is a good upgrade over the 16X.

Edited by WILSON-YT
Clarification on topic

16 hours ago, WILSON-YT said:

Im eyeballing for a 3rd wheel. 

I enjoy the 16X, but im not comfortable with it going past 20mph

Just my point of view based on my own experience.

Long story short sell weakest model keep 16x like king of universal EUC on planet. And buy MSP2500W / RS only reasonable purchase.

All Suspension EUC need time, Veteran need time too, to grow and fix all early batches  issues what come with new products.

If you like how v11 s18 veteran is in actual state you choice for me is not timeproofed for heavy riders compare to MSP2500w.

MSP is timeproofed stable POWER EUC. MSP need powerpads and i use this pedal is amazing product : https://hulaj.market/en/electric-unicycles/125-nylonove-nylon-feet-for-the-euc-gotway-msx-msp-mss-monster.html  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, WILSON-YT said:

why i should upgrade or why it would be silly to do so right now. 

It's been less than 80 days since you started riding EUC's and now you're looking for your 3rd wheel? :rolleyes:

I suppose, depending on whether you're married or not, you can take this as an argument for either why you must now upgrade or why it would be silly to upgrade.

• Like 2

The bigger the less playful, but it's also that heavier manoeuvrability that will make it stable at hight speed.
The 18XL is a great allrounder, it will go faster than the 16X, but not by a lot.

The Sherman is a great wheel for going fast, but it sound like your wobbles are simply because you dont have enough experience yet.
Id suggest you wait a few months to see if it goes better, then the Gotway RS/EX/MP reviews will be out in case you'd still like to invest more.

Edited by null
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Best all-rounder for sure. What's keeping you below 20mph? Lack of power or wobbles? If you can't handle max speed on a 16x yet then a different wheel probably isn't going to be any faster for you. 

Wobbles could be fixed easily by centering your tyre or lowering pressure incrementally until the wobbles stop. For even more stability, you could even put a knobby tyre on. 

I'd master top speed before considering a third wheel if I were you. Many eventually find no sensible reason to consistently go above 45kph after the initial thrill wears off. 

Good point Tinkerboi. 

4 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

It's been less than 80 days since you started riding EUC's and now you're looking for your 3rd wheel? :rolleyes:

I suppose, depending on whether you're married or not, you can take this as an argument for either why you must now upgrade or why it would be silly to upgrade.

True assessment LOL Not married. 

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Get a wheel that is something your wheels are not.
The 18XL is too similar to the 16X.
In the meantime take a closer look at why you are not hitting the soft tiltback on your 16X.
I am guessing the tyre is the H-5167? It can be a bit sketchy, skippy and bouncy if too highly inflated but it is very predictable.
For my riding weight of 66kg I use 22 PSI. I don't use pads and FW 2.02 was the fastest and most stable/solid for me.
The 16X is the smallest feeling wheel out of all the big wheels. Anything else will feel bigger and clumsier.
The 16X is also one of the most comfortable wheels I have been on.

The wheel I ride now is the Fat Nikola Plus with 2664Wh battery. This gives me speed and range to last through my day of multiple cruises / group rides.
Having several wheels you don't have to think much about range unless you actually want to ride longer in a single direction.

The Sherman is a nice wheel and will initially feel clumsy.
The MSP HT feels much zippier than the MSP HS.
I would never choose any of those over my Fat Nik though.

I would see the V11 as a sidegrade more than anything unless I was unwilling to bend my knees while riding.
Also I don't see it as a mature product yet.

Interesting. The wobbles have slightly gone away, but a month a go i had them really bad.  since i had lowered PSI to 28 and have been careful with foot positioning i can ride 20-22mph without wobble. I have not pushed myself to go any faster than that yet. I did recently remove power pads off my ride and i have to say, It feels more better to ride without them.

I  was looking into the nikola plus as well.  I do not have anyone around me that i know of that ride EUC's, but i would be the guy that would want to try their wheel before making a purchase. Going at in blind, that is why you are here Mike S to explain this bro ROFL...... I agree, find something that is not similar to what i currently have.  I do however agree that i  should learn to reach close to the limit with the 16X more and more till i outgrow the limit of the speed before upgrading.Right now after some research, i have narrowed down to going for a gotway wheel like the nikola plus or the r19 high speed if i was going to proceed with the next wheel experience. 

Still want to hear what people think though.

Edited by WILSON-YT
  • Like 1

I’ve had my 16x a few months. At first it was wobble city and I struggled to get to 20 mph comfortable. Now I can easily max it out and I wonder why I used to have so much trouble. It feels like a big gyro over 20 and gets really steady. It just took me a few hundred miles of practice. So I say keep at it with the 16x.

I weight 180 and ride with 25-32 psi. It is smoother at less psi.  I do not use any pads and ride so that my legs don’t really touch when going straight. Remember the movie Contact?  It was after her chair broke loose and she was no longer anchored to the capsule that everything became smooth. :)

Edited by bracky72
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I weight 180 and ride with 25-32 psi. It is smoother at less psi. 

4 hours ago, WILSON-YT said:

i had lowered PSI to 28 and have been careful with foot positioning i can ride 20-22mph without wobble.

Wow....just curious, are you guys riding at that PSI for the tire that recommends 45-55 PSI on the sidewall or do you have a different tire on yours than mine? If it's the same, I knew people had their tires lower than the minimum but didn't realize that much lower. Should mention I'm probably closer to 215-220 lbs with gear.

• Like 1

I vote V11. Since you're not close to pushing the top speed on the 16X you already have, ride quality would be the main reason to upgrade, and the V11's ride quality is unmatched. Also tall & narrow EUCs (like the V11 & 18XL) are less prone to wobbles compared to the super wide-body ones (16X, Nikola, etc).

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, WILSON-YT said:

I  was looking into the nikola plus as well.  I do not have anyone around me that i know of that ride EUC's, but i would be the guy that would want to try their wheel before making a purchase. Going at in blind, that is why you are here Mike S to explain this bro ROFL...... I agree, find something that is not similar to what i currently have.  I do however agree that i  should learn to reach close to the limit with the 16X more and more till i outgrow the limit of the speed before upgrading.Right now after some research, i have narrowed down to going for a gotway wheel like the nikola plus or the r19 high speed if i was going to proceed with the next wheel experience. 

Still want to hear what people think though.

I would get the RS High Speed and set the world on fire.
You will kill the battery at high speed though. And crashing over 35 mph will hurt... no matter how much gear you wear.
But... I would prefer at least a 2700Wh battery. Leaving the Sherman, EX and Monster Pro. Or a modded Nik.

11 hours ago, manieuc said:

Wow....just curious, are you guys riding at that PSI for the tire that recommends 45-55 PSI on the sidewall or do you have a different tire on yours than mine? If it's the same, I knew people had their tires lower than the minimum but didn't realize that much lower. Should mention I'm probably closer to 215-220 lbs with gear.

Bodyweight in KG divided by 3 will give you a nice PSI number and would be on the high side for your weight.
The numbers on the sidewall are insanely high.
The 16X rim is easily dented though so if you are going to smack curbs and do high drops then you could go 10% higher.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Bodyweight in KG divided by 3 will give you a nice PSI number and would be on the high side for your weight.
The numbers on the sidewall are insanely high.
The 16X rim is easily dented though so if you are going to smack curbs and do high drops then you could go 10% higher.

4 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

These tires aren't manufactured specifically for our wheels, so the sidewall recommendation is pretty meaningless for EUC use. :) 
Most of us just test different settings to see what suits our riding style best. And a lot will depend on the surface you ride on.

Thanks a lot. I've read so many tire posts about the 16X but was still confused seeing as mine said 45-55 PSI on the H666, I thought it made a difference vs the other two tires commonly mentioned. Think I've been running 45-50...I'm going to try 37 PSI to start just to be safe on the rim even though I don't see any high (intentional) drops in my near future .

...and sorry to sidetrack, Wilson-YT! 

Edited by manieuc
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, manieuc said:

Thanks a lot. I've read so many tire posts about the 16X but was still confused seeing as mine said 45-55 PSI on the H666, I thought it made a difference vs the other two tires commonly mentioned. Think I've been running 45-50...I'm going to try 37 PSI to start just to be safe on the rim even though I don't see any high (intentional) drops in my near future .

...and sorry to sidetrack, Wilson-YT! 

SIDE TRACK AWAY . lets talk about whatever  :) lol

Edited by WILSON-YT
  • Like 3

Am I nuts or is the 16X totally incapable with agile moves at speed - I can carve like mad with my V8 like I am bombing down a slalom course. The 16X does not want to respond to turns when moving even at relative speed?? WTF??? Am I missing something in the proper setup of this machine? Cuz from my view this machine is much less agile than V8 and on pave much less fun to ride...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, amelanso said:

Am I nuts or is the 16X totally incapable with agile moves at speed - I can carve like mad with my V8 like I am bombing down a slalom course. The 16X does not want to respond to turns when moving even at relative speed?? WTF??? Am I missing something in the proper setup of this machine? Cuz from my view this machine is much less agile than V8 and on pave much less fun to ride...

It's already the most agile of the large wheels, can't be helped. More stable wheels need more force to turn, period. These are two ends of a spectrum and you can't have one without sacrificing the other.

Took me awhile too to get over losing agility compared to my gt16, but once you get used to it the loss is inconsequential.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

It's already the most agile of the large wheels, can't be helped. More stable wheels need more force to turn, period. These are two ends of a spectrum and you can't have one without sacrificing the other.

Took me awhile too to get over losing agility compared to my gt16, but once you get used to it the loss is inconsequential.

So can you carve  on pave with a KS16X? Can you take wide turns at speed? I am totally confused by the angular momentum of this wheel which is highly resistant to changes of direction. Maybe I am misunderstanding how to ride a wider/heavier machine? Or is the sacrifice of agility a given in exchange for more range and ability to take rougher terrain?

Edited by amelanso