My Sherman Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll know when I start riding with the new board, but I suspect that the power delivery will not be improved. From the one cryptic message I received, I believe the primary update is better heat monitoring.

That's what I was thinking as well. Maybe they can squeeze a little more out of the motor? But a new controller and firmware fix is not going to add windings to the electromagnets, or make the magnets wider, or change the motor's heat dissipation, etc. Seems like there is a tradeoff between torque and top speed in motor design? (I know zero about electric motors.) It's fine to have different wheels for different use cases.

• Like 3

When a wheel is pushed outside its design limits and fails it is not a problem with the wheel.  Its a problem with the test.  Yes, its great when a wheel performs well outside its design limit.  I am sure if you use this wheel within its capabilities it will be the best wheel you have ever owned.  The failure here was the wheel not sensing a higher current draw and heat buildup than it was designed for.   The heat buildup was unavoidable. It should have cut off before things started failing. 

Edited by Paradoxedgewater
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Esbu said:

About cooling and heat removal, I am asking myself, why EUC engineers are not inspired by heatpipe cooling mechanism.

Pipes solve a problem where you have heat source in one place and heat sink in completely different place (due to form factor limitation) which is completely not an issue here.

Here we have heat source directly attached to the heat sink (via poor silicone insulation coupling) and any additional layers such as heat pipes will make things only worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alj said:

Look up "SOT-223" on google images - its a standard chip enclosure used mostly for voltage regulators.

Thanks for the explanation. I have never seen such a part before.

1 minute ago, Esbu said:

If you drive up your car a steep hill very slowly at full throttle and your car radiator fan does not work, the temperature will rise and you will seize the pistons. This is proof that the most fundamental problem is cooling.

Back to Veteran Sherman.

The exposed mosfets are mounted too close to the edge of the heatsink. There should still be a piece of heatsink next to them, for better heat dissipation. The fans blow on the circuit board, but all the heat accumulates inside and there is no way to leave. Shifting the circuit board on the heatsink could be a partial solution for better cooling of exposed heatsinks. Next, I would put one fan in the front of the heatsink to blow through the heatsink. This should solve the problem: "the slower I ride, the less it will cool".

The main problem is how to remove heat as quickly as possible.

I'm not convinced that the problem was with the MOSFET's. Based on the extensive heat damage in the area where the power is flowing into the board, I believe the root cause of the failure was too much current (heat) flowing into the control board from the batteries. I do agree with your last sentence.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm not convinced that the problem was with the MOSFET's. Based on the extensive heat damage in the area where the power is flowing into the board, I believe the root cause of the failure was too much current (heat) flowing into the control board from the batteries. I do agree with your last sentence.

This is well known from your video. But the cables and the circuit board must have become very hot before melting. And most of all, the cables were burned closest to the circuit board. I think passive cooling is a very undersized and active cooling stupidly designed. If the heat does not build up and is removed from the circuit board quickly enough, the tin on the connections may not melt.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

It’s crucial that the wheel is capable of monitoring itself and at least warn the rider when the wheel is being used outside its design limits.

Pure truth.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Esbu said:

If you drive up your car a steep hill very slowly at full throttle and your car radiator fan does not work, the temperature will rise and you will seize the pistons. This is proof that the most fundamental problem is cooling.

First you get a warning on the temperature gauge. Then it will take awhile (probably an hour) for coolant to boil away before you seize the pistong. It is totally not an issue because i do not know a single person who would have experienced that.

35 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If controller did not shut down then the current was not excessive. Too much would cause voltage drop and controller shutdown.

The controller is intended to deliver as much current as battery can provide to the motor and that is what it was doing otherwise there is no reason to go bonkers with 100V battery voltage and beefy battery pack if you not going to use a half of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seba said:

Veteran cooling is better than in Gotways, because Veteran is using two centrifugal fans blowing directly at MOSFETs.

The difference in cooling quality is not in the fans, but mainly in the fact that the Gotway exposes the heatsink through the body to the wheel. That's another thing I want my Sherman to have.

4 minutes ago, Esbu said:

I think we're both talking about the same thing. In comparison to the car, I intentionally omitted the temperature warning against seizing the pistons - just as Sherman does not have such a mechanism.

Whether it's a car or a unicycle, every product should be protected from self-destruction by heavy use.

I'm not comfortable with "heavy use" therm here. It assumes those "warnings on the dashboard". The user should be able to do anything. Its a human factor, you cannot control it. Well. of course if used decides to throw wheel from the cliff that is obviously user fault. But wheel should limit what user can do in order to save itself. Yes alarm as last resort.   But first we can start tilting pedals to avoid further acceleration. If user decides to climb overheat hill that is not "heavy use" if you do it with sane speed to allow wheel to cool off. It, however, becomes "heavy use" if you do not have such mechanisms in place.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seba said:

Well, Veteran is using the same approach as Gotway - there is no dedicated temperature sensor. Instead, they just read temperature of MPU6050 IMU chip (the "gyro chip") that is located just below Bluetooth module (see picture below). Gotway and Veteran doesn't really measure MOSFET or heatsink temperature, but mainboard temperature. This is why both wheels may seem a "cool running wheels", but this is misleading. Veteran cooling is better than in Gotways, because Veteran is using two centrifugal fans blowing directly at MOSFETs. In case of Gotways, there is just an ordinary axial fan that is mostly blowing onto the top of mainboard, cooling IMU sensor in first place (actually this is why fan in some Gotways repeatedly turns on and off in a rapid succession). This leads to make mainboard cool quickly while the MOSFETs may be near to overheating. Using IMU temperature sensor isn't a sufficient to maintaing proper thermal management. 

For example King Song are using separate probe that is located close to the most hottest MOSFET (the one far away from cooling fan). Another example is a Ninebot One S2 that have a separate temperature probe that is attached to the heatsink.

vn_mb.thumb.jpg.ca7079847c97354ae016dfc6ec24a780.jpg

Great info. Thanks. So to be semi-effective they would probably have to add a bias to whatever temperature they read from the IMU. Hopefully they are doing something along those lines.

P.s. You have very good vision to be able to see through that Bluetooth board :lol:

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Esbu said:

If anyone from Veteran reads this, contact me, I will help you design a much more efficient cooling. I have experience with cooling overclocked processors with air coolers with minimal modifications. My Intel Core i5 Sandy bridge can run at 5.3GHz and handle all benchmark stress tests.

Rest assured, nobody associated with Veteran is reading anything said here. And historically they are very insular and have no interest in being told how to improve their design. 

Don't hold your breath :laughbounce2:

• Like 3