My Sherman Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

7 minutes ago, Alj said:

I'm not comfortable with "heavy use" therm here.

I used this term because when I think about it, protection against normal use is nonsense. If it destroys itself with normal use, it's shit.

I am sorry, but my English is bad and I often use translator. I hope you will forgive me and we will still understand each other.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Esbu said:

I used this term because when I think about it, protection against normal use is nonsense. If it destroys itself with normal use, it's shit.

I am sorry, but my English is bad and I often use translator. I hope you will forgive me and we will still understand each other.

Nope! I will never forgive you!!!!    j/k

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Rest assured, nobody associated with Veteran is reading anything said here. And historically they are very insular and have no interest in being told how to improve their design. 

Don't hold your breath :laughbounce2:

This is a sad read, but their mentality is different and I can probably understand it. The first is money, the second is money, the third is money .....and only somewhere in the back it turns out that someone can use it, so it's for people.

• Like 2

When @Marty Backe was getting close to having the wheel fail, the motor was making a strange noise. What is that? Electric motors use the Hall sensor to know when to switch to the next set of magnets right? (Let me reiterate, I know nothing about electric motors) Does that noise mean that this cycle is breaking down? Would the motor making that noise cause things to overheat faster?

Edited by erk1024

I talked to a friend who also rides on the EUC, and I asked him if he thought it was possible, for example, to build a testing laboratory for unicycles with community funding. The durability and capabilities of the new unicycle would be tested there. Then the unicycle would be certified, for example, by ELA - Euc Laboratory Aprroved. And we would know that paying attention to an unknown unicycle without an ELA certificate would not make sense. However, he told me that none of the Chinese manufacturers deal with this and they don't care. This is similar to what Marty said about my cooling treatment offer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alj said:

Pipes solve a problem where you have heat source in one place and heat sink in completely different place (due to form factor limitation) which is completely not an issue here.

Here we have heat source directly attached to the heat sink (via poor silicone insulation coupling) and any additional layers such as heat pipes will make things only worse.

I think any piece of copper is better than aluminum. When heatpipes are installed in the current heatsink, it will help. They do not necessarily transfer heat to a greater distance from the heat source.

28 minutes ago, Esbu said:

I think any piece of copper is better than aluminum. When heatpipes are installed in the current heatsink, it will help. They do not necessarily transfer heat to a greater distance from the heat source.

Copper is heavy. Aluminum is good enough here.

1 hour ago, Alj said:

Copper is heavy. Aluminum is good enough here.

It is heavier than aluminum, but has better thermal conductivity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Esbu said:

If anyone from Veteran reads this, contact me, I will help you design a much more efficient cooling. I have experience with cooling overclocked processors with air coolers with minimal modifications. My Intel Core i5 Sandy bridge can run at 5.3GHz and handle all benchmark stress tests.

The old 2500K, I remember holding onto one of those for far too long because the o/c was just too good. :-) Although to be fair, overclocking one of the best/easiest-overclocking consumer desktop processors in history isn't exactly the best proof of one's cooling prowess--my mom could probably overclock one of those by just pointing a cheap Wal-mart articulating fan at it. ;-)

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

I understand that the board issues are more than just heat but would the use of mosfet heatsinks like these be of any benefit?

ZXb2z.jpg

6 hours ago, erk1024 said:

When @Marty Backe was getting close to having the wheel fail, the motor was making a strange noise. What is that? Electric motors use the Hall sensor to know when to switch to the next set of magnets right? (Let me reiterate, I know nothing about electric motors) Does that noise mean that this cycle is breaking down? Would the motor making that noise cause things to overheat faster?

Strong currents through the wires create strong magnetic fields.  Those fields push/pull on the other windings and iron.  The frequency of that push/pull is the groan you hear.  It's not bad by itself, but it indicates you are flowing enough current to melt a Veteran v1.0 control board.  So if your motor is groaning like that, you are likely pulling major amps, and that can be bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shield said:

I understand that the board issues are more than just heat but would the use of mosfet heatsinks like these be of any benefit?

ZXb2z.jpg

These wouldn't help, the aluminum extrusion the mosfets are on are better than this.  The mosfets didn't fail, the current through the board traces did.  Probably melted the solder and shorted the battery leads.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, erk1024 said:

When @Marty Backe was getting close to having the wheel fail, the motor was making a strange noise. What is that?

When Marty started the overhead hill, the wheel was already grinding more than before, so something had already started to fail. When I toasted my MSX, the wheel sounded like it was grinding pebbles, and before I had time to realize what’s going on and react, in just two seconds the board and the motor failed.

I think the grinding comes either from a component on the board starting to fail, or the motor wires melting and getting very close to each other. Either way, it’s a certain tell that something has damaged and the wheel will very soon fail.

I’m of course not talking about the regular motor coil cogging that every wheel makes (GW being the loudest) when stressed at slow speeds. But the one that has a varying pitch like a combustion engine, and can also be heard at higher speeds and lower burdens. 

9 hours ago, Esbu said:

If anyone from Veteran reads this, contact me, I will help you design a much more efficient cooling.

Several people have also offered their help in translating the manuals and apps for free, and still none of them has taken up on the offer. Surely helping in the actual design is yet much taller order, no matter how much sense the both offers would make in our minds.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AtlasP said:

The old 2500K, I remember holding onto one of those for far too long because the o/c was just too good. :-) Although to be fair, overclocking one of the best/easiest-overclocking consumer desktop processors in history isn't exactly the best proof of one's cooling prowess--my mom could probably overclock one of those by just pointing a cheap Wal-mart articulating fan at it. ;-)

Yes, it is one of the best overclockable CPUs ever. However, when a processor with a base frequency of 3.3GHz is overclocked to 5.3Ghz, so that such a clock frequency can be achieved at all, such a processor is usually cooled by liquid nitrogen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chriull said:

This could be one effect, from my readings(1) so far i'd tend to account most of this "strange" sound to trorque ripples/cogging torque.

At low speeds the rim with the permanent magnets is pushed a position to the next. Only at higher speeds this is "smoothed" by inertia.

The higher the burden (current) the "harder" this steps.

With some bearing/axle play some resonances with the board gyro can amplify this behaviour. Also a small crack in the shell can amplify this behaviour (happened with an ks18xl - started such sounds at stronger braking maneuvers by this)

As another point firmware current limiting could create/amplify this, as the current is "prematurly" cut during a pwm cycle - thus increasing the torque ripple..

I don't agree with your position.

Any dynamic force, aka changing force, in a motor will excite all aspects of the motor, the plastic housing, the windings, the magnets, etc.  You can assume that the further from the excitation, there was increased dampening based on the materials and physical shape of the structure.  All mechanical systems have resonance points, where something exciting them at that frequency will cause large amplitudes.  That mechanical excitation can produce audible sound if it is in the range of human hearing  in both magnitude and frequency.  The motor is not smoothed out by inertia at a certain speed, it is just that the frequency has moved away from resonance with the mechanical structure of the motor.  The motor has the same inertia at any speed, up until the point parts start flying off of it.

In our BLDC motors used for EUCs, the cogging torque has actually been minimized.  You can test this yourself by spinning the wheel with the EUC off.  Do you feel it cogging?  Maybe a little, but likely not a lot.  Some cogging torque does exist, but noise from cogging torque is minimal in a motor designed to not have a lot of cogging torque.  By the fact that the Veteran does NOT sound like a chainsaw anytime it is moving, under light load, it is OBVIOUS that this is not cogging torque.  It is in fact, the phase current excitations with the permanent magnets in the rotor.  Once you flow current through the phase wires you are creating an electromagnet around the iron core the copper is wrapped around.  The strength of that electromagnet is proportional to the current flowing.  The windings themselves also push/pull against each other.  The housing is being vibrated by all the forces, etc.  Whatever the exact source, the cause is plain. The phase current in the motor is at a frequency that it is exciting some mechanical structure of the EUC.  It likely only happens at very high current (so therefore high forces) and at a certain speed.  At that speed, some combo of the PWM switching of the phase current, and the longer period of the phase current frequency itself, or a beat of those frequencies (f1-f2 or f1+f2), is exciting the structure.  Any change in the phase current is directly correlated with force excitations in the motor, and the higher the current, the stronger it is being excited.

Torque ripple is a change in current, and as I said above changes in current equals changes in forces which can equal noise from mechanical excitation of the structure.  That said, torque ripple is a tiny change in current compared to the FETs literally chopping 100A of current off and on repeatedly.  Hence, as I said before, the noise is due to the extreme current in the phase wires. It is implied that it is actually the high changing current creating changing force that is actually creating the noise.  The current is not continuous.  If you monitored the current of a Gotway motor on an oscilloscope, also famous for making grinding noise from a stop, you'd see the current was extremely high in those slow speed cases too, as any EUC is essentially giving max current when you first stand on it if you were the least bit off balance or if you are doing forward/back reverses.  If you don't want that noise you need a tighter stiffer motor, that moves the resonance to a range that is not excited by the stator currents in a range that is audible.

• Like 3

On 7/25/2020 at 8:05 PM, bryon01 said:

Do you feel it cogging?  Maybe a little, but likely not a lot.  Some cogging torque does exist, but noise from cogging torque is minimal in a motor designed to not have a lot of cogging torque.

Yes - that was one translation i used googling and dictionaries which meant something different than i meant. Your explanation of cogging torque is nicely explaining it's meaning and showing it's irrelevance here. As it is also described as "no current torque" in the second link of my post - i wanted to remove it than from my post but forgot this before submitting it...

On 7/25/2020 at 8:05 PM, bryon01 said:

Torque ripple is a change in current, and as I said above changes in current equals changes in forces which can equal noise from mechanical excitation of the structure.  That said, torque ripple is a tiny change in current compared to the FETs literally chopping 100A of current off and on repeatedly.  Hence, as I said before, the noise is due to the extreme current in the phase wires. It is implied that it is actually the high changing current creating changing force that is actually creating the noise.  The current is not continuous.  If you monitored the current of a Gotway motor on an oscilloscope, also famous for making grinding noise from a stop, you'd see the current was extremely high in those slow speed cases too, as any EUC is essentially giving max current when you first stand on it if you were the least bit off balance or if you are doing forward/back reverses.  If you don't want that noise you need a tighter stiffer motor, that moves the resonance to a range that is not excited by the stator currents in a range that is audible.

As described (or at least how i understood it) in the first paper i linked, the main portion of "torque ripple" comes from the current changes by the different commutation phases. By the difference in the commutation pattern and the back emv of the motor (winding characteristics). Of course this "maladaption" is proportional to the value of the phase current.

Just "measured" the main harmonics of @Marty Backe's last bit of hill climbing - seems to be at ~150Hz. Taking the formula (6) from the paper 

"f i th = i*k*p*n/ 60 (6) where th i f is the th i order harmonics of the motor commutation frequency, i is the number of the harmonics order, k is the number of steps of commutation in one electrical cycle, p is the number of stator pair of poles, and n is the rotational speed (r/min). In the CV-mode and VV-mode k = 6. Thus, the fundamental commutation frequency 1 th f is 0.1pn ."

gives for the veteran (54 coils -> 27 pole pairs, 20 inch tire ~ 1.6 m circumference) for 150 Hz as the first harmonic 55 rpm ~ 1,5 m/s ~ 0,4 km/h.

Which seem to fit quite well with the video.

The "150 Hz" are, for me surprisingly high - i would have estimated the frequency much lower. As the "stuttering noises" while hard acceleration and braking. Some years ago this stuttering noise while acceleration was explained from a gotway representative to arise from their ?120 A? firmware current limiting. Will have to measure such stuttering braking noise once too if this corresponds to the "main torque ripple" frequency - current limiting occurs "within the commutation pattern" and hence increase the maladoption or sets in independently...

Edit: .... And this numbers could be just about fitting but are maybe just some "initial starter". Just looked at the video linked in https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/18545-tesla-motor-noise-and-battery-charge-questions/ . Here by a loose motherboard caused oscillation of about 120 Hz. And @Marty Backe reported some strange vibrations of this wheel before. Something a bit loose caused vibrations (oscillations) via the gyro sensor... Beeing stimilated/induced by torque ripple?

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Chriull said:

Yes - that was one translation i used googling and dictionaries which meant something different than i meant. Your explanation of cogging torque is nicely explaining it's meaning and showing it's irrelevance here. As it is also described as "no current torque" in the second link of my post - i wanted to remove it than from my post but forgot this before submitting it...

As described (or at least how i understood it) in the first paper i linked, the main portion of "torque ripple" comes from the current changes by the different commutation phases. By the difference in the commutation pattern and the back emv of the motor (winding characteristics). Of course this "maladaption" is proportional to the value of the phase current.

Just "measured" the main harmonics of @Marty Backe's last bit of hill climbing - seems to be at ~150Hz. Taking the formula (6) from the paper 

"f i th = i*k*p*n/ 60 (6) where th i f is the th i order harmonics of the motor commutation frequency, i is the number of the harmonics order, k is the number of steps of commutation in one electrical cycle, p is the number of stator pair of poles, and n is the rotational speed (r/min). In the CV-mode and VV-mode k = 6. Thus, the fundamental commutation frequency 1 th f is 0.1pn ."

gives for the veteran (54 coils -> 27 pole pairs, 20 inch tire ~ 1.6 m circumference) for 150 Hz as the first harmonic 55 rpm ~ 1,5 m/s ~ 0,4 km/h.

Which seem to fit quite well with the video.

The "150 Hz" are, for me surprisingly high - i would have estimated the frequency much lower. As the "stuttering noises" while hard acceleration and braking. Some years ago this stuttering noise while acceleration was explained from a gotway representative to arise from their ?120 A? firmware current limiting. Will have to measure such stuttering braking noise once too if this corresponds to the "main torque ripple" frequency - current limiting occurs "within the commutation pattern" and hence increase the maladoption or sets in independently...

Edit: .... And this numbers could be just about fitting but are maybe just some "initial starter". Just looked at the video linked in https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/18545-tesla-motor-noise-and-battery-charge-questions/ . Here by a loose motherboard caused oscillation of about 120 Hz. And @Marty Backe reported some strange vibrations of this wheel before. Something a bit loose caused vibrations (oscillations) via the gyro sensor... Beeing stimilated/induced by torque ripple?

This is a very deep post :o

:thumbup: