Drove my EUC into a lake

LukeRian

23 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

My neighbor was helping me launch my jetski. He was not familiar with the electronic rotary shifter on the Dodge Ram and somehow it slipped into reverse. Why he didn’t hit the brakes is anyone’s guess. He swan out through the driver’s side window. 

The large dent in the side of the truck’s rear quarter resulted from my body being trapped between the dock and the truck after I jumped out of the way. I was pinned. My life preserver prevented me from having a crushed chest.

The truck and wheel were totalled.

Wow...so that could have turned out much, MUCH, worse! Glad you came out unscathed! 

Hope your insurance covered the truck in full (and the wheel?)

Hmmm....I would have thought braking would be second nature too...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LukeRian said:

Hey Guys apologies for the late reply, as requested the full story of the Tesla falling into the lake goes like so: I was waiting for my wife to get off work (she works at a restaurant off of the lake) so I had been riding my Tesla around the lake for about an hour before the incident. I was going down a slight hill and immediately hit an unseen pothole which sent me flying off of the EUC. There were numerous spectators, watching as my Tesla rolled down the hill into the water. I quickly realized I needed to get it out and dove in after it. Here's the best part though- it still works. (Minus the LEDs) I took it home and took the entire machine apart to dry off the internals and take out all of the moss/rocks that had made their way inside of my Tesla. I used the air compressor to dry off all of the connectors and electronics and she works perfectly. Rode her about 15 Miles earlier today, just need to get some new lights now!

Wow, that was lucky! Glad the wheel still works! You should definitely buy a lottery ticket! ;)

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Hmmm....I would have thought braking would be second nature too...

His friend might have mixed up brake to throttle pedals.

According to this Vox article, these mix ups occur quite often with drivers hitting the wrong pedal (but recovering) on average once per hour to half hour.

36 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

His friend might have mixed up brake to throttle pedals.

According to this Vox article, these mix ups occur quite often with drivers hitting the wrong pedal (but recovering) on average once per hour to half hour.

I honestly don't know who these folks are surveying, but as far as I'm concerned, if people can't figure out how to use two pedals, I'm not sure they should be allowed to drive multi-ton metal boxes... :facepalm:

"You don't learn to ride a horse without knowing how the reins work and you don't sail a boat without understanding the rigging. Yet we see a driving license as a birthright, and it's an automatic assumption we can drive a car.

My concern here is that the way we currently teach our youth how to move a two-ton piece of hardware around our neighborhoods should be based on the fact that driving is a skill of degrees, where you learn the process of what's going on underneath the hood first. It's about an appreciation of how the thing works, not just the result of what it does. A good dose of healthy respect for the mechanicals and developing a one-on-one relationship with them makes for a better, safer and more considerate driver. If your first driving skill is easily being able to go straight to D and have the old girl do all the work, then it makes for very lazy and selfish drivers. A little ability in automotive foreplay, where you learn how to feather the clutch, slickly slip your stick in and out of the gate and then push a little harder on the precious pedal to get her turning over surely makes for a more organic driving experience."

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/21/learning-drive-stick-shift-makes-people-better-drivers/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LukeRian said:

... the full story of the Tesla falling into the lake goes like so: ....

"Pictures or it didn't happen." (old forum rule --LOL)

On 5/3/2020 at 6:33 AM, travsformation said:

How the hell did you manage that? :facepalm:

I have to say, I'm impressed with your nerves of steel! I would have been swearing like a sailor! And you were even level-headed enough to switch the windshield wipers on! :efee612b4b:

But seriously, what a bummer! Did the truck survive? And more importantly, did the wheel survive? 

There's a whole series of misadventure threads by @Rehab1. He's the reason I am acquiring safety gear. (Credit to @Unventor also.)

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
added brevity
  • Like 3

On 5/3/2020 at 5:45 AM, Rehab1 said:

And I have proof:huh: I lost a lot of electronics that day. 

At least my truck didn't end up in the lake with he Tesla!! Haha I hope it all worked out man thanks for sharing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travsformation said:

honestly don't know who these folks are surveying, but as far as I'm concerned, if people can't figure out how to use two pedals, I'm not sure they should be allowed to drive multi-ton metal boxes... :facepalm:

It wasn't a survey. It was a driving simulation.

I'd rate the twin pedals we find in most cars to be a very poor control interface because approximately the same action results in opposite behavior. In the US there's about 80 to 100 "drive into building" crashes per day, and the majority are wrong pedal confusion.

Notably, the greatest number of deaths from a single crash are from wrong pedal confusion whereby the driver, convinced he is braking, continues to accelerate through a crowd.

7 hours ago, LukeRian said:

it still works. (Minus the LEDs)

I wonder what went wrong here, this is a fairly low tech part.  It's possible disassembly damaged an led strip though I guess (and not the water itself).

How long did it take your KingSong to really drown? You are one step ahead into the next generation of KingSong...amphibious wheel...or underwater! Take your wheel for a scuba dive!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 3:02 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Good thing you had that wheel securely mounted and plugged into the dodge at the time. Some insurance companies wont cover the items in the vehicle IF it wasnt mounted via permanent connection or IF it wasnt currently plugged into the outlet. Just some food for thought, BEFORE you start to declare the losses and circumstances of the items contained within. How'd the jet skis do? Surely you went riding anyhow?!

Luckly everything depicted in the photo was covered including the wheel, Mavic, VR goggles, Iphone and a Gopro.

The  Jetski continued floating to the middle of the lake until some boater grabbed it. 

11 hours ago, LukeRian said:

Here's the best part though- it still works.

You are SOOO lucky!:thumbup:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

"Pictures or it didn't happen." (old forum rule --LOL)

There's a whole series of misadventure threads by @Rehab1. He's the reason I am acquiring safety gear. (Credit to @Unventor also.)

I’m so accident prone my dogs won't even ride with me. :facepalm:

3 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

How long did it take your KingSong to really drown? You are one step ahead into the next generation of KingSong...amphibious wheel...or underwater! Take your wheel for a scuba dive!

It was submerged for an hour. Some guy came by with a huge loader and chain to pull the truck out. I dove underwater to attach the chain but my adrenaline was so high that I couldn’t hold my breath long enough. The loader guy jumped in to take over. He was the hero of the day. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Luckly everything depicted in the photo was covered including the wheel, Mavic, VR goggles, Iphone and a Gopro.

The  Jetski continued floating to the middle of the lake until some boater grabbed it. 

You are SOOO lucky!:thumbup:

Whilst extremely pleased for you, I am surprised everything was covered! Its not your average road collision is it?!

I have had a few jetski moments myself, the worst whilst trying to load the ski in a Force 8 with big swells. The weather took a turn for the worse whilst I was out and even with years of sailing experience it had caught me out. Took 4 passing guys (plus me) in the end to get it on the trailer, all of whom got soaked in the process so there was massive thanks to them. During the process the ski got damaged all over the front end from constantly hitting the back of the metal trailer. Total nighmare but hey every sea journey without an injury is a bonus.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Whilst extremely pleased for you, I am surprised everything was covered! Its not your average road collision is it?!

Thanks. I don’t believe there is anything enhanced or special on my policy. The police were on the scene to ask questions and file a report. I have no idea who called but that may have helped with the insurance claim. 

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I have had a few jetski moments myself, the worst whilst trying to load the ski in a Force 8 with big swells. The weather took a turn for the worse whilst I was out and even with years of sailing experience it had caught me out. Took 4 passing guys (plus me) in the end to get it on the trailer, all of whom got soaked in the process so there was massive thanks to them. During the process the ski got damaged all over the front end from constantly hitting the back of the metal trailer. Total nighmare but hey every sea journey without an injury is a bonus.

Big swells? How large was this lake?  

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks. I don’t believe there is anything enhanced or special on my policy. The police were on the scene to ask questions and file a report. I have no idea who called but that may have helped with the insurance claim. 

Big swells? How large was this lake?  

Haha, I have only ever jetskied or sailed on the coast or River. Don't get me started on saltwater issues, it destroys everything :(

11 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Haha, I have only ever jetskied or sailed on the coast or River. Don't get me started on saltwater issues, it destroys everything :(

Our lake is only 550 acres so I return to the dock fairly quick. Ya salt destroys everything mechanical unless you continuously spray it down with fresh water. 

11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Our lake is only 550 acres so I return to the dock fairly quick. Ya salt destroys everything mechanical unless you continuously spray it down with fresh water. 

Yeah but fresh water and ACF-50 (which is brilliant) can only go so far. Salt just works it's way in everywhere. I had to pull the jet drive out to replace the shaft bearings after only a couple of years and the mechanic said it was the worst he had seen, he nearly snapped his puller in half, adding that it nearly needed a whole new drive. Still cost me £550 in repairs. Not to mention the staggering amount of corrosion I found on the underside of my 4x4 after 1 year. Never again, I will stick to dinghy sailing which is far easier to clean down and 1000x less mechanical nooks and crannies to get seized up! I really envy you guys in the States who have some awesome freshwater areas.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 6:50 PM, LanghamP said:

I'd rate the twin pedals we find in most cars to be a very poor control interface because approximately the same action results in opposite behavior. In the US there's about 80 to 100 "drive into building" crashes per day, and the majority are wrong pedal confusion.

Notably, the greatest number of deaths from a single crash are from wrong pedal confusion whereby the driver, convinced he is braking, continues to accelerate through a crowd.

I stand by my original point...TWO pedals, for Christ's sake!!! What on earth would they do with a motorcycle with throttle-twist, clutch, gear lever, front brakes (hand lever) and rear brakes (foot pedal)? 

giphy.gif

That's why I'm against automatic cars, or at the very minimum, learning to drive with an automatic...there's no learning curve. I think people should have to learn with a stick shift and qualify for an automatic after X years of driving a stick shift. Think of it as a safety screening process that would filter out a lot of bad drivers / idiots... :efee612b4b:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, travsformation said:

That's why I'm against automatic cars, or at the very minimum, learning to drive with an automatic...there's no learning curve. I think people should have to learn with a stick shift and qualify for an automatic after X years of driving a stick shift. Think of it as a safety screening process that would filter out a lot of bad drivers / idiots... :efee612b4b:

Parallel  parking use to filter out bad drivers during the driving test. Now the requirement has been reduced to just pulling out of a parking spot. Sad!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, travsformation said:

stand by my original point...TWO pedals, for Christ's sake!!! What on earth would they do with a motorcycle with throttle-twist, clutch, gear lever, front brakes (hand lever) and rear brakes (foot pedal)? 

Motorcycle controls are even worse for their contradictory inputs, and that is partially reflected in the order of magnitude crash and fatality rate. What's worse than having two brake and throttle pedals? How about a brake than can be simultaneously used with the throttle by the same hand.

However, fundamentally I agree with you. A car should be as difficult and as dangerous to drive as possible. Stick shift with non synchronized gears, no power steering, no airbags, no windshield, no ABS or driver aids of any kind. Make gas $20 per gallon. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Motorcycle controls are even worse for their contradictory inputs, and that is partially reflected in the order of magnitude crash and fatality rate. What's worse than having two brake and throttle pedals? How about a brake than can be simultaneously used with the throttle by the same hand.

Electric bikes should solve many of those issues :)

10 hours ago, LanghamP said:

However, fundamentally I agree with you. A car should be as difficult and as dangerous to drive as possible. Stick shift with non synchronized gears, no power steering, no airbags, no windshield, no ABS or driver aids of any kind. Make gas $20 per gallon. 

:roflmao:

Constant double-clutching, matching the rpms, heel-toe braking-acceleration...Count me in! 

But on a serious note...I can only hope things will evolve in the right direction, although there are too many vested interests/livelihoods tied to polluting industries for that to be feasible any time soon...

On 5/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, LanghamP said:

It has little to nothing to do with throttle & brake being on the same hand, or brakes being both a pedal and leaver. Most motorcycle accidents happen because the driver has been drinking or they're hit by a car, or both. The third largest contributor is rate of speed (fast leads to a life past, slow is the way to go).

There were far fewer crashes when the clutch was operated by the left foot, the gear change was a shifter lever operated by the left hand, and the spark advance was on the left grip, front brake and throttle on the right, rear brake on the right foot pedal. Crashes have nothing to do with how complex all of that was to operate simultaneously, people simply took care in doing so. Horseless buggy drivers had respect for others. All this safety equipment and shielding has isolated us from our environment and made us less safe.

There is a lot to be said for good design, in that we do agree.

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
  • Like 3