Drove my EUC into a lake

LukeRian

56 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Kind of reminds me of the time when my new truck ended up at the bottom of a lake with my wife’s new KS14C inside. :crying:

You do have the worst luck... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

My neighbor was helping me launch my jetski. He was not familiar with the electronic rotary shifter on the Dodge Ram and somehow it slipped into reverse. Why he didn’t hit the brakes is anyone’s guess. He swan out through the driver’s side window. 

The large dent in the side of the truck’s rear quarter resulted from my body being trapped between the dock and the truck after I jumped out of the way. I was pinned. My life preserver prevented me from having a crushed chest.

The truck and wheel were totalled.

Jeep-Dodge often designs non-standard shifters that kill a few dozen people each year. That Star Trek actor who played Chekov was killed by his Jeep when he thought he had left it in drive but didn't.

Stupidly, since the same motion of pushing down on a pedal for both brake and throttle, it follows your man probably mixed up pedals. Hear about those drivers who ram into buildings or drive up onto sidewalks? Mixed pedals every time.

I hate hate hate the throttle/brake design because it's a Normal Door. Controls that do opposite things should behave opposite. This is why the Air Force doesn't put their ejection lever next to their flap lever (they did, once, and trained their pilots not to mix them up, with predictable results).

The majority of drivers eventually mix up pedals regardless of age, and since auto designers keep using the same idiotic design, and since we keep idiotically buying the same design, then I can only conclude the majority of the human population is stupid for not fixing such a simple and easy design flaw. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Jeep-Dodge often designs non-standard shifters that kill a few dozen people each year. That Star Trek actor who played Chekov was killed by his Jeep when he thought he had left it in drive but didn't.

I did hear that story. Tragic!

Dodge had reports in 2017 that their Ram trucks were moving while the 4-position rotary shifter knob remained in park. It’s possible that’s what happened but my neighbor should still have been cognizant enough to hit the brakes. I thought that involuntary reaction was a hard wired since birth. :facepalm:

My replacement truck has additional safety measures where you cannot engage the shifter if the brake is not depressed or a door is open. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

Good thing you had that wheel securely mounted and plugged into the dodge at the time. Some insurance companies wont cover the items in the vehicle IF it wasnt mounted via permanent connection or IF it wasnt currently plugged into the outlet. Just some food for thought, BEFORE you start to declare the losses and circumstances of the items contained within. How'd the jet skis do? Surely you went riding anyhow?!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3