My MSP Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

Hi @Marty Backe. I've watched your MSP test video and review. The one thing I didn't think addressed was the low speed handling of the MSP. Can I comfortably ride the MSP on the sidewalk near pedestrians like the mten3 and to a lesser extent, Z10? Or does the 18" wheel make slow and tight maneuvering too difficult? Thanks. 

• Like 2

If you ride the MSX on slow rides manoeuvring thru pedestrians it's the same thing.

It's a bit large, you'll need to step off many times to stop and then ride again. It's a big wheel but you can manage..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greentung said:

Hi @Marty Backe. I've watched your MSP test video and review. The one thing I didn't think addressed was the low speed handling of the MSP. Can I comfortably ride the MSP on the sidewalk near pedestrians like the mten3 and to a lesser extent, Z10? Or does the 18" wheel make slow and tight maneuvering too difficult? Thanks. 

Any wheel can be ridden slowly with appropriate skill and I have no issues riding near pedestrians. But it's a lot more work next to smaller wheels, in particular the Mten3. The Mten3 is truly effortless to ride slower than walking speed.

You have the Nikola. The MSP/MSX would only require slightly more effort.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

Great video, we needed one for lights.

What no Nikola Plus ? :P

Just in case some people don't get the joke, all versions of the Nikola use the same headlight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lefteris said:

Wiring the same?

I believe so. I have the light and a new stock msx surround but havent got round to fitting it yet. Its only 2 wires so if the plug isnt the same I will just solder in the old one. Surround needs dremeling out but I have had a good look and its not a big deal. No idea if the Nik light is that much better than the msx but its worth a go. The nik light conversion has already been done before, I think it was on a polish msx.

• Like 1

@Marty Backe, truly excellent video! But holy motherload that MSP headlight coming against you at nighttime...! It's surely going to cause issues.

What was interesting to me was that the 18XL headlight is not worse than a few others, but the light beam was contained much better, so it didn't point up to the camera as much. I only wish Gotway could be made to realize this as a thing to aim for as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

@Marty Backe, truly excellent video! But holy motherload that MSP headlight coming against you at nighttime...! It's surely going to cause issues.

What was interesting to me was that the 18XL headlight is not worse than a few others, but the light beam was contained much better, so it didn't point up to the camera as much. I only wish Gotway could be made to realize this as a thing to aim for as well.

Give them a few more years :)

• Like 3

Hello Marty - on the "headlight vid" - do You have Z10 with old lamp as installed in the first Z10 units,  or the "second generation" which was properly shining on the road instead of tree tops?  For MSP  double headlight - is it shining "on the road" or "all around"?  

Edited by Lukasz

2 hours ago, Lukasz said:

Hello Marty - on the "headlight vid" - do You have Z10 with old lamp as installed in the first Z10 units,  or the "second generation" which was properly shining on the road instead of tree tops?  For MSP  double headlight - is it shining "on the road" or "all around"?  

I have the original Z10 with original light.

The MSP shines on the road and all around :facepalm:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Slargo83 said:

I just put a deposit down for the MSP at eWheels and signed up for this forum. Can't wait!

Fantastic. I'm sure you're excited. I gather this is your first wheel?

• Like 1

Thank you, Marty, for the entertaining and informative MSP videos. I am considering buying this wheel as I mainly like to ride offroad. Can't wait to try it out when my Gotway dealer gets them in stock.

• Like 1

Very interesting video though I did get a bit lost jumping between the list on the left and the wheels zipping past. You can easily see that the MSP puts out more light but it seems to do so at the expense of oncoming traffic. In the UK we tend to turn our own full beam on when oncoming drivers are dazzling us with their high beam. In France they tend to drive straight at you. I think I prefer the KS approach of keeping the light on the road.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Very interesting video though I did get a bit lost jumping between the list on the left and the wheels zipping past. You can easily see that the MSP puts out more light but it seems to do so at the expense of oncoming traffic. In the UK we tend to turn our own full beam on when oncoming drivers are dazzling us with their high beam. In France they tend to drive straight at you. I think I prefer the KS approach of keeping the light on the road.

When I receive my personal copy I'm going to experiment to see if a light "hood" would be effective at blocking the light from blinding motorists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slargo83 said:

Yes sir it sure is and I am definitely very excited. It took about a month to decide which wheel to get but after watching you conquer Overheat Hill, that sealed the deal right there. I weigh right around 200lbs so the extra torque is very welcomed. I plan to learn in the grass as to not damage it too bad initially. I'm sure the damage will still come haha

Lots of fun times ahead. An exciting upcoming summer for you :cheers:

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just like you, l really look forward for my MSP  for this Summer!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

You're definitely not lying. I've had so much fun exploring on my Boosted Board and Onewheel XR but range anxiety is always present. With the MSP, I'm sure my legs will give out before the battery does. Definitely a good thing! :thumbup:

In a month or 2, my current job is ending so I plan on buying a Prius to do some touring around the country. I definitely plan on exploring more of Southern California (only been through there twice). Hopefully I can get into one of your group rides while I'm there :cheers:

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 9:01 PM, Slargo83 said:

I just put a deposit down for the MSP at eWheels and signed up for this forum. Can't wait!

Why do I feel that as soon as the first release is out of the MSP, there will be a major improvement released SHORTLY after? It’s happened with Gotway on almost half the wheels I’ve purchased on preorder through dealers and Gotway themselves.  I can see them changing the light to a two stage brightness level, a larger battery, higher voltage, or something significant that I’m not aware of. (Like a better model, 20 inch,  126v hint hint)  I'm trying to hold off, as I’ve seen this movie before.

• Like 3