My MSP Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

10 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Why do I feel that as soon as the first release is out of the MSP, there will be a major improvement released SHORTLY after? It’s happened with Gotway on almost half the wheels I’ve purchased on preorder through dealers and Gotway themselves.  I can see them changing the light to a two stage brightness level, a larger battery, higher voltage, or something significant that I’m not aware of. (Like a better model, 20 inch,  126v hint hint)  I'm trying to hold off, as I’ve seen this movie before.

It will happen, as its marketing procedure and humans are predictable. Im pretty sure that the best marketing departments are simply run by a psychologist. Beat the system, and form a bond with a product you already have. Resist the urge and hype as you were content BEFORE you caught wind of it. Me, ima sucker for blinking lights and i try to fight it off when i can. Make a video of yourself when you were giddy with the new product. When you start to drool over the next round of hopes and dreams promised to you, play the video back and think of what you had to do to make the $$ it costs to replace. I wasted so much on the newest thing in music and was disappointed 99% of the time. I am now jaded about new products and am blissfully happy that i have ZERO inclination to fall for ANY claims they can improve on what I have. Technology items differ in this, but attempting to see it the same, will help a little. A little negativity goes a long way! B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Slargo83 said:

You're definitely not lying. I've had so much fun exploring on my Boosted Board and Onewheel XR but range anxiety is always present. With the MSP, I'm sure my legs will give out before the battery does. Definitely a good thing! :thumbup:

In a month or 2, my current job is ending so I plan on buying a Prius to do some touring around the country. I definitely plan on exploring more of Southern California (only been through there twice). Hopefully I can get into one of your group rides while I'm there :cheers:

Join my Telegram group to keep abreast of all the Southern California activities

• Like 1

Will the first batch of MSP wheels address the one firmware issue wrt the wheel front-to-back rock solid feeling that was called out? Or are pre-orders gambling.  Or have I mis-remembered past comments.

9 hours ago, xorbe said:

Will the first batch of MSP wheels address the one firmware issue wrt the wheel front-to-back rock solid feeling that was called out? Or are pre-orders gambling.  Or have I mis-remembered past comments.

You really never know what you're going to receive when you buy a Gotway. Unfortunately it's impossible to answer your question satisfactorily :( 

• Like 3

On 3/14/2020 at 11:16 AM, xorbe said:

On soft and medium mode the front to back rock solid feeling is very noticeable especially on sharp turns but when on hard mode its almost gone. it doesn't bother me anymore. I received my MSP 5th of March.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Marty do you have a list of the results for all of the wheels you've range-tested, that you could share?

TIA

I do not. Only the individual videos that I've made over the last couple of years.

Marty, specific question for you.  Does the MSP responsively deliver more zip than the KS16X from 0-15 mph?  I just didn't feel zippy on the 16X from a dig, felt reluctant and wanted me to work and beg for it.  ie, Do you have to teeter on your toes like the 16X trying to extract response, or is it acceleration in your face like the MCM5.

Also, KujiRolls specifically mentions a hesitation in his review @6:14 ("it doesn't want to go right away as easily"), do you concur with that?

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, xorbe said:

Marty, specific question for you.  Does the MSP responsively deliver more zip than the KS16X from 0-15 mph?  I just didn't feel zippy on the 16X from a dig, felt reluctant and wanted me to work and beg for it.  ie, Do you have to teeter on your toes like the 16X trying to extract response, or is it acceleration in your face like the MCM5.

Goodness, it's like I wrote your post, same exact question here!  That being said, with Marty's great info as well as a handful of others with their insight, I've gone ahead and pre-ordered the MSP, I still love the 16x but man, I struggle to get it to climb steep stuff, rider error possibly but I feel like it takes a lot of effort to get it to climb.  I was teetering on snagging the MCM5 but had reservations about the 2.5" tire.

10 hours ago, xorbe said:

Do you have to teeter on your toes like the 16X trying to extract response

You, everyone, all of us, need lean pads! :D  Don't judge till you try.

(Critical for getting the power out of any of these fullsize wheels)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, xorbe said:

Also, KujiRolls specifically mentions a hesitation in his review @6:14 ("it doesn't want to go right away as easily"), do you concur with that?

5 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

Goodness, it's like I wrote your post, same exact question here!  That being said, with Marty's great info as well as a handful of others with their insight, I've gone ahead and pre-ordered the MSP, I still love the 16x but man, I struggle to get it to climb steep stuff, rider error possibly but I feel like it takes a lot of effort to get it to climb.  I was teetering on snagging the MCM5 but had reservations about the 2.5" tire.

The 16X feels zippier to me, which really isn't a surprise considering that it's a smaller wheel than the MSP.  This is from memory. I'm still waiting for my personal copy so I can't go out right now and do a quick comparison between the two wheels.

Nothing can really compare to the MCM5, but again, it has a very powerful motor in a 14-inch wheel.

I generally only compare wheels within the same class.

7 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

The MCM5 stock tire is 2.125". You can install a 2.5" wide tire if you're willing to put in a day of work to mod the shell. The MCM5 is an excellent wheel. It's a great compliment to the bigger wheels.   

• Like 3

Okay, I'll keep my expectations in check.  The picture I'm building is that the MSP doesn't fall far from KS16X wrt urban zippiness, and it's not a magical robot leg like the MCM5.  But it grunts very well on an incline.  Which to me, seems to indicate a dV/dT firmware cap ... but I will digress in a separate thread, as to not thread jack here, hah.  Thanks Marty!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, greentung said:

The MCM5 stock tire is 2.125". You can install a 2.5" wide tire if you're willing to put in a day of work to mod the shell. The MCM5 is an excellent wheel. It's a great compliment to the bigger wheels.   

Gotcha, I appreciate that, this has me re-thinking the MSP a little, I guess I'll get the MCM5 also and re-evaluate, I could always sell one off.  

Great sheet, but the Wh/mi doesn't take in consideration the rides that stop with 20% battery remaining, or that KS uses the cells down to 3.0V (GW 3.3V). In reality the differences in Wh/mi between different wheels are very small, if any. 

To be clear, GWs definitely do get a shorter range per announced Wh, but it doesn't mean that they actually consume more Wh per mile. Then again, the latter is not of much importance when comparing ranges.

• Like 2

And I was hoping MSP might stand out a bit more (lower Wh/mi), given its low-Kv motor... but in Marty's same-speed same-route test, it fell right in line with the other GW's.

QuZng.gif

In any case, based on the MSP's pack, I'm convinced I'd see +20% range vs my 84V MSX. (I burn thru my 1600wh pack in ~20mi with twisty hilly offroad riding.) Good stuff.

Edited by RagingGrandpa