How to ride an electric unicycle - understanding the dynamics

John Eucist

24 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

You can actually have that again when you learn riding backwards! :w00t2:

8 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Is it really like starting over again?

yes, it's really surprising that knowing how to ride forward helps so little in learning to ride backwards!

Edited by Mono

No, it's because you have to balance in the opposite direction. If you fall to the right, you have to turn the back (which is while going backwards the front) into the fall, so you have to turn the wheel the other way round than you're used to. Your brain needs some time to learn this. Especially if you never balanced anything backwards before. I had a headstart learning going forward as I am a windsurfer, where balancing works quite similar... but I never windsurfed backwards before, so there I was starting from zero.

• Upvote 2

Learning to ride is essentially developing certain reflexes without thinking about it. (Thinking about what to do just takes too long to be effective.) While there is a strong symmetry between forward and backward riding that we can see and understand rationally, the reflexes apparently cannot profit from this symmetry. The situation might possibly be a bit better for a left-right symmetries, but the forward-backward symmetry seems to be of no help. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

I had a headstart learning going forward as I am a windsurfer, where balancing works quite similar... but I never windsurfed backwards before, so there I was starting from zero.

While I had been in the belief I was always windsurfing sidewards...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mono said:

True that :)

I did a lot of skateboarding and I can skate both ways without any issues. But I doubt it will help me riding backwards. I did help me in getting started on the euc, for starting since I could get going just like with my skateboard. And of course no way I can get going whilst putting my right foot first on the pedal :) 

4 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I think starting in reverse would also be quite the challenge, instead of riding forwards, and then slowing down and going backwards.

Same thing, you have to train it and mounting is one of the more (most) difficult parts of riding an EUC. I am fully comfortable in riding backwards and idling in circles, but I rarely start riding backwards right away. Hence I am indeed not at all comfortable in mounting backwards.

3 minutes ago, Mono said:

Yeah, most of the time you do, but in the nice and fast carve gybes, when you step with your rear foot on the leeward rail and really lean into the turn, that's the feeling that helped me riding the EUC!

8 hours ago, Slaughthammer said:

As you advance in riding skill (especially after you have learnt riding one footed), you may want to go back to the skateboard style start, it's a lot easier on the batteries and the MOSFETs... By the way, I will often only put the right pedal (which happens to be my dominant foot) down when I want to start, then while mounting the wheel and already riding one footed I flip down the second pedal with a quick flick of my left foot. Of course this will only work if the pedals can be easily flipped down in such a way. It certainly looks cooler doing it this way than hopping on at standstill and then lean in and hope for the best.

This sounds like fun. For the Gotway wheels you can add a couple of bumpers between the shell and the pedal. This provides just enough space to allow your foot to kick the pedal down from the side. I think I'll try your technique :)

On 05/08/2017 at 11:48 PM, steve454 said:

Looks like a decent learning wheel, the side pads look thick, and they even included a pump.  It looks a lot more modern than the TGT3 I started with.

This just popped up when visiting ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elektrisches-Einrad-X3-Unicycle-Monowheel-Scooter-Solowheel-VEVOR-DE-Stock/271840133630?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45561%26meid%3D0160bdfe7cc14823b2aca26bb50165bc%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D372032793052&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

10 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

That looks like my TGT3, 132wh battery and all!  It would charge very fast, but run out of power very fast also.  It was too weak to be safe learning on with my weight. (200 pounds)

On 6/8/2017 at 1:22 PM, Slaughthammer said:

No, it's because you have to balance in the opposite direction. If you fall to the right, you have to turn the back (which is while going backwards the front) into the fall, so you have to turn the wheel the other way round than you're used to. Your brain needs some time to learn this. Especially if you never balanced anything backwards before. I had a headstart learning going forward as I am a windsurfer, where balancing works quite similar... but I never windsurfed backwards before, so there I was starting from zero.

Can you even windsurf backwards? :lol:

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Can you guys freely move your arms around? I have to do it in slow motion or I get out of balance ?

Yeah, but use caution if trying to throw a football while riding.  :whistling: @dbfrese.  Usually I'll wave at people and make gestures as to what direction I'm planning on going if crossing a street.  It comes with time.  Before I had to flail my arms around to maintain my balance, but then you slowly realize that you can do that with your centre of balance and legs primarily so you don't have to use your arms as much.

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Second question: if you are riding up a hill will the device warn if you are over stressing it before it cuts out?

It might or might not depending on how hard you are accelerating and what you are riding.  My generic wheel simply cut out as I tried to increase my speed going uphill.  There was no beep or any tiltback.  On my Ninebot it tends to give a warning beep if you give it small, quick forward leans.  It senses you are at the limit of what it can do (likely current spikes) so it warns you.  If I recall correctly, others have tried to accelerate aggressively uphill resulting in a faceplant and wondered why there was no warning.  Sometimes the BMS cutout occurs too quickly for the board to give a beep or have enough power to tiltback.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Yeah, but use caution if trying to throw a football while riding.  :whistling: @dbfrese.

Thanks, Hunka, I believe I will always and forever be known for that minor but brilliant flash of foolishness, and I thank you for bringing it up yet again! :facepalm:

By the way, I've had a cast on now for close to six weeks, with at least two more weeks to go. :crying:So to all of you fellow EUCers out there, I hold myself up as an example to avoid emulating. Stay safe, peeps!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It might or might not depending on how hard you are accelerating and what you are riding.

Just going up a hill that keeps on going, at a constant speed. Not trying to go as fast as possible. Doesn't stuff get hot because of this?

Any tips for riding on one foot? Currently practicing riding backwards (managed to do 10 feet today! Same style as my first day on the euc, the device decides where to go and I try not to fall off ... but anyway, better than immediately falling off :P ) and trying to ride on one foot (not backwards!). This seems a useful skill for foot placement, but the more I try to lift one foot, the more pressure I get against my leg and my knee also starts hurting from pressing against the euc. Seems impossible without falling over.

Anyone care to help out? :) 

5 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

but the more I try to lift one foot, the more pressure I get against my leg and my knee also starts hurting from pressing against the euc.

No pain, no gain. Sorry to disappoint, but that's just physics working. Your lower leg will eventually get used to it over time. Or buy a KS18. The higher the body of the wheel, the lower the sideways pressure on your leg while riding one footed. 

I learned one footed riding by learning a rolling start and then got slower and slower at putting the second foot on the pedals, until I was riding one footed for some significant distance

30 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Any tips for riding on one foot? Currently practicing riding backwards (managed to do 10 feet today! Same style as my first day on the euc, the device decides where to go and I try not to fall off ... but anyway, better than immediately falling off :P ) and trying to ride on one foot (not backwards!). This seems a useful skill for foot placement, but the more I try to lift one foot, the more pressure I get against my leg and my knee also starts hurting from pressing against the euc. Seems impossible without falling over.

Anyone care to help out? :) 

Didn't you just say in another thread that you best not look at a watch for fear of crashing? In my opinion I wouldn't tackle riding backwards until you can ride forwards without having to think or worry about anything.

I published a 10 part video series on riding backwards - they are in the video thread. The first video is here:

• Upvote 2