Leatt Dual Axis keep sliding down

Hello, recently I have bought a pair of dual axis knee guard and choose the size with regard to the size chart. While it is pretty comfortable (though a bit bulky), even with the strap are tightened (at least as tight as the velcro strip allowed) ,the knee guard keep sliding down after ,a bit of walking, especially the right knee guard. Is there any recommendations to prevent the knee guard from sliding to my ankle? Thanks!

• Like 1

I had the same exact problem.  I ended up returning them since I could never get them to say.  The only thing I can say that might help is to make sure the middle strap is tight above your calf and below your inside knee.  Since your leg should get wider the lower it goes, that's one of the main areas to help hold i up.

Since I could never get it to work for me, I ended up getting some 187 Killer Pro Derby Pads.  They don't cover my shins, but they do over huge amounts of knee protection.  They also use velcro to secure them on so no need to pull over your leg.

I just slide them back up before I get on the wheel, but I can see how this can get annoying if you have multiple walking segments to your destination. How baggy are your pants in the leg/ankle area? I found they slide less with slim fit jeans compared to regular fit khakis.

Edited by tihoa
  • Like 3

Make sure you pull your pant legs down before sitting down to pull them on (and keep them taught as you sit) - I find they stay better if I put them on standing up, but that's usually more work so I usually just try to make sure my pants are as low as they'll go when putting them on and then I put the leatts slightly high.  I also try to minimize walking/running.  I do have to pull them up occasionally (though never from just riding).  Mine are ever so slightly too big on me - or rather the straps could be configured slightly better for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EvoKnvl said:

I had the same exact problem.  I ended up returning them since I could never get them to say.  The only thing I can say that might help is to make sure the middle strap is tight above your calf and below your inside knee.  Since your leg should get wider the lower it goes, that's one of the main areas to help hold i up.

Since I could never get it to work for me, I ended up getting some 187 Killer Pro Derby Pads.  They don't cover my shins, but they do over huge amounts of knee protection.  They also use velcro to secure them on so no need to pull over your leg.

Thanks! It did help with the middle strap tightened just above the calf, what about the top strap? Should it be as tight as possible or slightly loose?

3 hours ago, tihoa said:

I just slide them back up before I get on the wheel, but I can see how this can get annoying if you have multiple walking segments to your destination. How baggy are your pants in the leg/ankle area? I found they slide less with slim fit jeans compared to regular fit khakis.

That is interesting, I didn't know that my pants also matter. I have a loose fit pant and I just leave them messy with the pad on, some even tuck in the shin guard.  I will try riding with a slim fit pant next time . Thanks!

41 minutes ago, BarrettJ said:

Make sure you pull your pant legs down before sitting down to pull them on (and keep them taught as you sit) - I find they stay better if I put them on standing up, but that's usually more work so I usually just try to make sure my pants are as low as they'll go when putting them on and then I put the leatts slightly high.  I also try to minimize walking/running.  I do have to pull them up occasionally (though never from just riding).  Mine are ever so slightly too big on me - or rather the straps could be configured slightly better for me.

Thanks for the tips! I did sew some extra velcro on the straps so it can be tightened more which help a bit, but it still slide down when I walk for a while.

I had the same problem with the Leatt dual axis and also the Alpinestars SX-1 knee guards. They slide down when worn over pants. The only knee armor solution that work for me are knee pads that go under pants like POC Air Knee pads or Leatt 3DF Knee Guards 6.0. I returned the Leatt Dual Axis but kept the Alpinestars SX-1 just so I can have an external pad option when needed. Turns out I haven't used it since summer. It's either the underpants knee pads or motorcycle pants. The underpants knee pads works great and will even fit under slim fit pants. As long as the pants has some stretch to it. It's winter in the NW which means daily rain. I wear Rev'It Commuter over pants with built in knee and hip armor.

It was expensive to go through all the trial and error with different products. But on skin knee pads and motorcycle pants were the best lower body solution for me.  

Had the same experience with Leatt dual axis guards, thought about exchanging for the smaller size but returned them. They're designed to be worn sitting, uncomfortable if tightened up to stay in place while standing and worse than useless if they don't.

Some of the knee pads are good but don't save you from skin abrasion. Motorcycle pants may be the solution, but the ones I bought are vented, too cold for winter riding. Still trying stuff out...

I appreciate your bringing this topic to the forum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Hui said:

Thanks! It did help with the middle strap tightened just above the calf, what about the top strap? Should it be as tight as possible or slightly loose?

For the people it works for, I think it's because they have bulging calf muscles that allow the calf-strap to hold it in place. That's what's doing most of the work holding it up. I have a huge calf muscle, and they don't slip. But the ARE a hassle to get on/off. I still like them because they are comfortable. But if I'm in a hurry, I wear my other Leatt knee guards.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I made the noob :facepalm: mistake of not realizing the straps unclip from the shell. Pulling them on over pants was a chore, and also resulted in poor fit for me.

After I found the clips, much better. Be smarter than me :)

Very funny. But that must have been a quite the revelation when you realized that had a quick disconnect/connect clip feature :)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very funny. But that must have been a quite the revelation when you realized that had a quick disconnect/connect clip feature :)

It it intended to be used that way? I didn't know if it was a feature or not. Seems like the plastic holding those pins in place is going to wear out if snapped in and out over and over. Maybe you don't care though. It's so convenient that maybe you just get a new pair if the holes wear out... ;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

It it intended to be used that way? I didn't know if it was a feature or not. Seems like the plastic holding those pins in place is going to wear out if snapped in and out over and over. Maybe you don't care though. It's so convenient that maybe you just get a new pair if the holes wear out... ;)

If I recall, the manual that comes with the Leatt's states that's the intended purpose of the clips.

I've been using mine for a year now, clipping in an out all the time. No problems. The Leatt's are built tough!

• Like 2

i try not to walk very far in mine because they do slip if your walking and bending ur knee.I do tend to walk stiff/straight legged a bit to overcome this problem . They rarely slip whilst riding for me though!

• 3 months later...
On 1/10/2020 at 10:29 AM, Kens said:

Some spot on tips above already. I just want to reiterate and add some based on my experience:

1. Wear them while standing and make sure no folds on your pants near knee area
  2. Bend your knee slightly and cup the slightly bend dual axis to find that perfect position.
  3. Clip the middle strap first as high above your calf muscle as possible.
  4. Clip the bottom strap as low below your calf muscle as possible.
  5. Straighten your legs and clip the highest strap last.

Do jumping test for 5 sec. If it still sliding down then un-clip it and move the Velcro tighter before you redo the step above. Don't pull up your pants after the jumping test. If your pants slide down then either buy smaller pants or explore more buffet in your area. You could try wearing skinny pants or shorts but never ride EUC without pants.

If it still sliding down after the tightest Velcro then exchange it to the smaller size. I exchange my L/XL for S/M. Their measurement for S/M is to small for me according to their website but its actually fits me perfectly.

I am looking into the dual axis. Do you suggest me getting a S/M if I am only about 1-2 inch above the recommended size? 

8 minutes ago, Waulnut said:

If it still sliding down after the tightest Velcro then exchange it to the smaller size. I exchange my L/XL for S/M. Their measurement for S/M is to small for me according to their website but its actually fits me perfectly.

Same for me. Ordered L/XL and according to the size chart it should be a perfect fit, but it was overall to big and the straps to long. S/M fits perfectly and the straps also. 

6 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Same for me. Ordered L/XL and according to the size chart it should be a perfect fit, but it was overall to big and the straps to long. S/M fits perfectly and the straps also. 

Thanks for the response. I think I will go with the S/M. There isn't enough feedback from people with in-between surprisingly on Google. Is the bands stretchy enough to go over like sweatpants? 

The lower strap is relatively short. The good thing is that the Velcro fastener holds on to the strap even in places where there is no Velcro counterpart at all. 

I don't like it when the straps are so tight and I still get along well with it, it should actually fit. In the end it is of course your leg circumference.