When does the pain stop?

Mike Sellmeyer

Newbie question here.  I am about 100km and a week into this great adventure.  I do defiantly get pain in the bottom of my feet, inside of my calfs and lower legs.  When does this pain go away?  Is it something everyone has just build up a tolerance to or does it go away eventually?

• Like 1

I believe the pain you feel is a good thing and should not be ignored. That is, building a pain tolerance is bad for your body.

I think the pain we feel is closely related to pressure ulcers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_ulcer

Pressure ulcers occur due to pressure applied to soft tissue resulting in completely or partially obstructed blood flow to the soft tissue. Shear is also a cause, as it can pull on blood vessels that feed the skin. Pressure ulcers most commonly develop in individuals who are not moving about, such as those who are on chronic bedrest or consistently use a wheelchair

Based on this information, one obvious solution is simply learn how to ride one legged while shaking out the other leg to restore blood circulation. You don't literally have to ride one legged, as you can ride mostly one legged just enough to safely move the other leg.

Wearing different shoes won't work, as it doesn't address the underlying cause of relieving pressure.

• Upvote 2

"Conditioning" I think is what people call it. Your body should adapt to the new stresses you're placing on it when you ride and as your conditioning improves (along with competency) you'll be able to ride in a more relaxed flowing manner, able shift your feet and relieve the numb sensation that builds up on long rides. At the moment you're probably a little stiff and super-concentrated on not stacking it each time you ride out.

From memory it was a good 2 to 3 months of near daily riding before my aches subsided.

• Like 2

youre lucky that you actually have one of the most comfortable EUCs there is, try a tesla or MSX :P seriously though, it will totally depend on the person and the wheel... some say a couple hundred km some say a thousand.. for me it was probably around 200ish if i had to guess but its mostly just building up muscles and conditioning your legs.. i have ridden every single day besides maybe two days since the first time i stepped on an EUC.. now after 20k km i can easily do a 100+ km ride in a few hours and feel nothing.. another beginner thing is the tendency to tense up which will fatigue muscles much quicker than if they were relaxed.. thats just something that will come with practice.. try to practice at least 4-5 times a week and just go until it gets a little uncomfortable, then walk for a few mins, rinse and repeat.. do try to relax your legs and not tense up, although theres only so much you can do consciously you just have to gain experience and it will go away naturally in its own time.. ps. for the 18 XL idk if you got it from ewheels and have the large pedals or not? but if you dont, for someone with relatively large feet they do help quite a bit with the tendency to clamp down your toes and get foot cramps, since theyre so big you cant even do that haha.. you probably already have them but if not they are definitely worth it i have them on all 3 of my kingsongs

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Pain in my feet is still hitting me the most. It gets really painful, but step off the EUC and it passes really quickly. I still find changing my foot position really difficult. I feel like gravity has increased tenfold when I'm stood on my Z10 and it takes a monumental effort to shuffle my feet around!!

9 minutes ago, Retrovertigo said:

Pain in my feet is still hitting me the most. It gets really painful, but step off the EUC and it passes really quickly. I still find changing my foot position really difficult. I feel like gravity has increased tenfold when I'm stood on my Z10 and it takes a monumental effort to shuffle my feet around!!

yup usually just pressure points.. sometimes if i plan to go on a long ride ill wear two pairs of socks but recently i got thicker insoles for my runners and is has helped quite a bit actually, the ones that came in them were paper thin so theres much less of a pressure point on the ball of my foot now.. haha yea mentally your brain says to stay glued this machine or you will die xD i dont know how much experience you have but once it becomes as casual as walking then you wont have so much of a problem lifting your feet, i was the exact same way a couple years ago felt like my feet were literally strapped on to the pedals but 16 or so eucs and many many thousands of km later you dont even think about it you just do it

• Like 2

@RywokastI'm still very much a novice. I haven't had anywhere near as much time on my wheel as I would have hoped for. In the month I have owned my Z10 I've done maybe 10 miles. But in that time I have learnt all the basics. I can mount/dismount no problem now. I can actually do tight turns now after they suddenly clicked yesterday :) 

I do have permanent injuries to my feet, ankles and legs, so was expecting a long learning curve when it comes to adapting muscles etc that haven't been used before!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Retrovertigo said:

@RywokastI'm still very much a novice. I haven't had anywhere near as much time on my wheel as I would have hoped for. In the month I have owned my Z10 I've done maybe 10 miles. But in that time I have learnt all the basics. I can mount/dismount no problem now. I can actually do tight turns now after they suddenly clicked yesterday :) 

I do have permanent injuries to my feet, ankles and legs, so was expecting a long learning curve when it comes to adapting muscles etc that haven't been used before!

oh wow youre just a baby then xD thats actually very impressive that you have done all that in 10 miles especially with previous injuries o: bravo

• Like 1

Try to consciously relax your legs. Make sure your toes don't try to grab the pedals through your hard shoe soles. Wiggle your toes to relax the feet. Hold on to a wall/pole while on the EUC and adjust into a comfortable stance (don't look down, do it blind). Do not grab the wheel with your legs. Change the foot position a bit if it starts to hurt. Etc.

It gets better with practice. The more relaxed you stand on the wheel, the better you will able to ride and the longer you can ride without any pain or discomfort.

Also maybe try different shoes and see which ones are the most comfortable.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Retrovertigo said:

Cheers @Rywokast :)@meepmeepmayer Thanks matey :) I've just bought a brand new pair of skechers which should arrive today. They are by far my favoured shoe because of the memory foam insoles, so hopefully they will help.

thats what im wearing :) they are super comfortable.. when i said i replaced the insoles because they were paper thin, i meant that was because they were completely worn out.. wearing them every day for over a year means that i was literally walking on the rubber soles of the shoes lol.. when they are newish the memory foam insoles are great and thats what i had recently replaced them with

• Like 1

Pain on feet doesn't go, but depends on your foot wear, riding style and pedal size. Normally you shouldn't get it unless you're doing long distance, like, riding for 1h or more. 

The leg pain, I always had to add extra DIY padding on my wheels, until I got the 18L, which didn't need it as it has a comfortable shape. 

Add padding wherever you need it, otherwise you may get small or bigger injuries, there's pictures for sure in the forum of examples. 

Try moving your feet to the toe over the edge of your pedal so your heel lifts up.  Alternate this between feet.  Also slaloming tends to help with the blood flow.  I wear calf velcro neoprene pads which also help cushion against the top side edge of my Tesla.  Kinda think about standing in one spot for a long time.  Your feet and leg muscles get tired so moving them a bit helps by shifting your weight now and then.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

wow... I'm 4 days in, and I have the exact problem.
It's around 15, 20 min before my bottom of my feet hurt as hell.

From all of you guys comments, look like build up tolerant  is the only way?

My shoes size is 11 and I'm driving an inmotion v8, not sure if getting a bigger pedals will help or not...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phong Vu said:

wow... I'm 4 days in, and I have the exact problem.
It's around 15, 20 min before my bottom of my feet hurt as hell.

From all of you guys comments, look like build up tolerant  is the only way?

My shoes size is 11 and I'm driving an inmotion v8, not sure if getting a bigger pedals will help or not...

i found that big pedals only help if you get toe cramps lol.. i dont get them on the large pedals as my toes dont curl around the front of the pedal.. they are a lot more comfortable for sure but will not mitigate foot pain.. you just need to keep at it.. i only start to want to take a break after ~ 3 1/2 hours riding.. when i first started it was maybe 45 mins where i would start to get foot pain but its just conditioning... if you plan to keep the V8 then certainly i would recommend larger pedals as they are definitely worth the price in comfort, but you are using 100% of the same muscles and standing on the same feet so it wont make the pain magically go away, it just gives you a bigger platform in order to feel more confident and more room to shift your feet around

• Like 2

This topic is always answered with contradictions, just like this time.

”It’s 100% conditioning.”

”Got new insoles, can now ride 3 times as long!”

Wearing different shoes won't work, as it doesn't address the underlying cause of relieving pressure.

There are multiple reasons for EUC enduced foot pain, so it’s no wonder there are multiple solutions as well. Inevitable pressure from standing is just one of them. Shoes and insoles have a tremendous effect on how localized the pressure points are.

Small pedals cause pain because instability causes tense legs & feet, and the pressure area is smaller. Bad shoes cause pain by several measures. Bad posture as well. Even high tire pressure may cause enough discomfort to turn into pain.

Shoes with a stiff outer sole (like basketball shoes or some hiking boots) are almost immune to small pedal foot pain. Suitably cushioned insoles/shoes/tire pressure relieve the local pressure points by spreading one’s weight over a larger area. Etc. All these happens in addition to conditioning.

So ride more, try to relax, have breaks, and try different shoes or insoles. Shop for shoes or insoles if you feel it might help, as they propably would.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

Although I'm still getting foot pain, I'm now at a point where I can shuffle my feet around on the plates, instead of feeling like somebody had clamped them down :D Obviously comes from me being more relaxed on the wheel. I can feel the pain start, and can actually move my feet around a little and it does ease it off. Not there yet where I feel like I could ride for miles, but definitely improving with each ride now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

Although I'm still getting foot pain, I'm now at a point where I can shuffle my feet around on the plates, instead of feeling like somebody had clamped them down :D Obviously comes from me being more relaxed on the wheel. I can feel the pain start, and can actually move my feet around a little and it does ease it off. Not there yet where I feel like I could ride for miles, but definitely improving with each ride now.

awesome, trust me in no time at all youll be draining the battery and wishing you had a lot more haha... 1600 wh isnt enough for me now even though thats like 115 km.. its too cold here now but next summer im thinking ill get the 2400 wh monster because when its warm out i literally want to ride all day lol

• Like 1

I finally felt comfortable going properly out on to the open road just before. Admittedly it was around 3:30am, but because of the rough roads here and the quite steep camber, I wanted to get a proper feel for what I'd be riding on.

I have to say, that once I was just riding, and not constantly stop-starting on my little street, the foot pain decreases dramatically. I did my longest ride yet (about 2 miles...I know I know, that is like a baby crawling for the first time :P ) and just trundling along I could shuffle my feet and not feel any ache at all. It only kicked in once I got back on my street and mounted the pavement which is really rough. Then I could feel a little twinge, but nothing like I have been doing :) 

I only went up to around 12 mph, but I was happy with that as my first outing :D 

Edited by Retrovertigo