When does the pain stop?

Mike Sellmeyer

29 minutes ago, Retrovertigo said:

I've started to step up my game a little now. Much more comfortable riding on the road - especially when I go out at 4am :) No traffic around means I don't need to keep stopping and starting, and can concentrate on riding, steering, and getting my feet comfortable. 

I can do about 3-4 miles now, and whenever my feet start to ache a little, I am much better at shuffling them around and finding another sweet spot for them. The only trouble with not stopping and starting much, is that I'm losing the feel for mounting from a standing start, which I thought I had nailed and so couldn't go wrong. Looks like I need to practice more :) 

Sounds like you’re doing awesome, congrats!  Please know that the next 2000km will be what you need to get comfortable and skilled enough to ride through most challenges. Your confidence will grow greater than your skill initially so please take precautions to keep yourself safe. 

Cheers!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Sounds like you’re doing awesome, congrats!  Please know that the next 2000km will be what you need to get comfortable and skilled enough to ride through most challenges. Your confidence will grow greater than your skill initially so please take precautions to keep yourself safe. 

Cheers!

Thanks man.....really do appreciate that :) 

10 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

I'm finding that I have far less pain if I place my feet with my heels level with the back of the pedals. Even though my head is saying "too much of your foot is hanging off the front" - I think I really do need to try and mod the pedals to be longer. This is a Z10 by the way.

Ha! I was noticing this too but I feel more vulnerable for some reason. I also wear a size 14 so that’s a lot of hanging foot. 

I’m on a KS18XL with the bigger pedal but more length seems like a no brained remedy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

I'm finding that I have far less pain if I place my feet with my heels level with the back of the pedals. Even though my head is saying "too much of your foot is hanging off the front"

Don’t mind your head! As long as you can still do a solid and fast emergency braking, you’re golden.

Our legs don’t start from the center of our feet, so why should the shoe be hanging evenly front to back? It requires quite a bit of constant muscle tension and an unnatural weight distribution to keep the wheel from braking/reversing, which is why the pain emerges.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Don’t mind your head! As long as you can still do a solid and fast emergency braking, you’re golden.

Our legs don’t start from the center of our feet, so why should the shoe be hanging evenly front to back? It requires quite a bit of constant muscle tension and an unnatural weight distribution to keep the wheel from braking/reversing, which is why the pain emerges.

Yeah I can brake just fine (still feel a bit tentative leaning right back, as I'm a newbie. But I can do it :) ) I think being a heavier guy helps as shifting my weight back easily tilts back the wheel. It's great as you get over that initial pain, and then just enjoy gliding along on the roads. Especially when I ride in the middle of the night. Part of the magic of these things is how quiet they are....feels so good when the pain is gone and you just enjoy the experience, because it's like nothing else out there :D 

• Like 1

Foot pain never went away for me. After about five minutes of riding, my feet start to ache.

Sure, I can keep going for ten or even twenty minutes before getting off to let the pain subside.  But, it's not fun.

Moving my feet around while riding doesn't seem to help.  Moving them far forward helps the most.  Not much difference between tennis shoes, boots, or sandals.

I bought  a 16s  hoping it would be better than 14C, but there's really no significant difference.

Admittedly, I'm overweight so that doesn't help.  And small feet (size 9 American).  But, I lost nearly 50 pounds.  Felt great, but it really made little difference in the foot pain.

I still do 5.5 mile hikes nearly every day with my dogs and weeks on hiking vacations.  I never get even a tiny bit of foot pain when hiking.

I don't do "rides" anymore.  But, I DO use the 16s several times every day for trips to/from my workshop which is several hundred yards away down/up a pretty steep hill.  That was my rationale for purchasing a EUC in the first place, so I'm happy.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 4:42 AM, Retrovertigo said:

I'm finding that I have far less pain if I place my feet with my heels level with the back of the pedals. Even though my head is saying "too much of your foot is hanging off the front" - I think I really do need to try and mod the pedals to be longer. This is a Z10 by the way.

I find the Z10 plates too short as well. I am size 10 uk so not exactly big for the average guy. I have been thinking about laser cutting some replacement stainless top plates but I dont want a bodge job nor do I want to lose the factory setup with the rubber inserts as they prevent the grip tape from scratching up the side panels. Making entire new top plates and base plates from scratch would be prohibitively expensive. I am going to mock up some cardboard templates and have a look. Its likely that the front ‘lip’ of the stock plate will have to be ground off to allow the new top plate to extend forward. Doubt I will extend them back at all, so just an additional length to the front is what I am looking for as my toes are hanging right off if my heel is level with the back of the plate (which feels like the right position to have).

• Like 1

Now I can ride without stop the whole 6km on daily commute, still feel the pain close to the end of trip, but it's not as terrible as before.
And as most of the guys here mentioned, changing shoes doesn't help much, just make sure my heel sit comfortably on the pedals and I'm good to go (and yes, front of my feet do hanging out).

Still consider if it worth spending over $100 for the bigger pedals (V10) tho...

So i was in the "haha, good luck, baby!!!" camp and just dealt with the pain, but i recently switched out my beloved leatt knee/shin braces for my old triple 8 rugged vert knee pads, as i found the leatts were pushing my knees outward, as my legs touch the top of the wheel. I adopted a wider stance and that would hurt my feet after a while, so i stepped in and the pads were putting pressure on the outside of my foot, i think. Once i switched, i was able to step in close with my left foot and have a wider stance on the right, and unless i totally mess up, i dont get foot pain anymore. My knees go before my feet do. Hard tire pressure vs big ass bumps over long distances start to tire me, haha. But yeah, finding that goo foot position for my left foot seemed to have balanced things out for the right and now im able to focus on other things while i ride! Like fun and happiness!

Recently I decided to buy and use a pair of sneakers designed for skating instead of general purpose sports shoes I've been using. However, instead of reducing the pain and discomfort in my feet, new shoes significantly increased it. In order to ease the pain when wearing new shoes I had to change the angle of my pedals from 2.6 degrees to about 6 in order to feel more or less comfortable. The sole of my new shoes is completely flat, comparing to old ones that raise my heel bout 2 - 3 cm above my toes. It also depends on how much you bend your knees when riding. If you "squat" too much, then you should increase the angle to reduce strain on your feet muscles. The bottom line, try to experiment with your pedals angle and maybe your shoes as well, some people feel more comfortable with soft sole, others claim that hard one does the trick for them. I suppose its all personal, but can make a huge difference when your personal right combination is found.

• Like 1