When does the pain stop?

Mike Sellmeyer

I used to get fatigue in the bottom of my feet until I switched up my footwear and pedal options. 

- Got rid of the large V10 pedals and ride G3/V8 pedals primarily (feet stay stationary on the smaller pedals and they have also improved acceleration and handling)

- Ride hiking boots when offroad/trail riding

- Use several different versions of Nike Metcons when riding on the street

running & basketball shoes were a nightmare_xD

1 hour ago, General Principle said:

Foot pain still a thing for me. Average about 5 “rest stops” per four miles. 🤷🏾‍♂️

:shock2: do you have some sort of underlying condition? or do your feet normally get sore when standing for extended periods? cuz thats pretty extreme so either that or your doing something wrong i think

I understand now that move your feet a little bit ahead on the pedals do help, the pain still come, but on after a long while.
But since my pedals are too small (shoes size 11 on V8's pedals), I feel a little unsecured when standing like that... (almost 1/3 off my feet is hanging out in the front)

1 hour ago, Phong Vu said:

I understand now that move your feet a little bit ahead on the pedals do help, the pain still come, but on after a long while.
But since my pedals are too small (shoes size 11 on V8's pedals), I feel a little unsecured when standing like that... (almost 1/3 off my feet is hanging out in the front)

That's me, size 11, v8.  The V10 pedals have made a significant difference.  I can't say how much better they would have been in the beginning when I could only ride about 5 mins at a time, but now, i can probably ride 60-70 mins instead of 45 from the pedal change alone.  

On 8/25/2019 at 12:42 PM, Retrovertigo said:

Tried with my new Skechers, and night and day compared with my scabby worn ones :) Like riding on a cushion of air!

Edit: Turns out the calibration was way out on my wheel, with the footplates angled backwards about 5 degrees or so. Calibrated it and now I can ride up and down my street doing my usual daily practice, and nowhere near the sort of pain or discomfort I was getting before, and that was wearing my threadbare Skechers. With my new pair on, I reckon I could easily ride 2 or 3 times the distance I have been doing and not feel pain nearly as much :)

funny, the NYC guys troll me for liking skechers calling them girls shoes, but they don’t know how comfortable they really are. Jokes on them! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

funny, the NYC guys troll me for liking skechers calling them girls shoes, but they don’t know how comfortable they really are. Jokes on them! 

girls shoes?? weak

• Like 1

Yeah, Sketchers are a bit of a fashion faux paux. Sorry, but I’m trying to help those of us along in years.  I had bad foot pain and got VANS and put in plantar fasciitis inserts from CVS and now I literally can ride all day without issue.  I started feeling some discomfort recently, after 4K+ miles riding on these shoes, replaced the inserts and I’m golden again.  Conditioning and relaxing helps immensely but inserts may be the key?

• Like 3

On 9/12/2019 at 6:20 PM, Dzlchef said:

Yeah, Sketchers are a bit of a fashion faux paux. Sorry, but I’m trying to help those of us along in years.  I had bad foot pain and got VANS and put in plantar fasciitis inserts from CVS and now I literally can ride all day without issue.  I started feeling some discomfort recently, after 4K+ miles riding on these shoes, replaced the inserts and I’m golden again.  Conditioning and relaxing helps immensely but inserts may be the key?

Sketchers, jeans, and t-shirts was all you needed to pick up girls on college campus for us Generation Xer's, circa early 1990's.

Speaking of pain, why did Jesus die?

He forgot the safeword.

2 minutes ago, General Principle said:

As a size 14 and heavy rider I’ve been thinking of installing some kind of high density foam to the pedals of my KS18XL. Has anyone done something like that?

never heard of anything like that.. be much easier to use high density foam in your shoe :P i could see a number of problems arising from that, but i guess if you were to find a way to make totally sure that it cant shift on the pedal and stick some grip tape on it then it could work.. of course, closing the pedals would be another question

3 minutes ago, General Principle said:

As a size 14 and heavy rider I’ve been thinking of installing some kind of high density foam to the pedals of my KS18XL. Has anyone done something like that?

Haven’t try this, but I can confirmed that riding with my adidas ultraboost is way more comfortable than my converse (and mine was converse chuck II, the nike luna insole is not bad at all).

I would think that something close to the adidas ultraboost will help.

1 minute ago, General Principle said:

Good point on closing...hmm

since you have the KS18 depending on how tight your pedals are (mine are super loose for KS, more loose than any other KS wheel ive ever had by far) then they might be able to hold themselves up just by friction.. on magnetic pedals it would be completely impossible, and questionable if you dont have to wrench on your pedals to get them open... theres an easy way to test just hold a piece of foam in between the pedal and body and close the pedal.. shake it around a bit and see if it ever opens

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

Haven’t try this, but I can confirmed that riding with my adidas ultraboost is way more comfortable than my converse (and mine was converse chuck II, the nike luna insole is not bad at all).

I would think that something close to the adidas ultraboost will help.

try riding barefoot lmao,, i once stepped in a huge pile of dog crap while stopping for a piss on a long ride... aint gonna be scraping that off my pedals so i took my shoes off and rode home ~45 mins barefoot.. man that felt weird

2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

try riding barefoot lmao,, i once stepped in a huge pile of dog crap while stopping for a piss on a long ride... aint gonna be scraping that off my pedals so i took my shoes off and rode home ~45 mins barefoot.. man that felt weird

Just thinking about it scared me already, lol.

just imagine have to jump off the wheel on barefoot on to the concrete =))

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

Just thinking about it scared me already, lol.

just imagine have to jump off the wheel on barefoot on to the concrete =))

haha yea id rather not imagine that xD

5 hours ago, General Principle said:

I have a 5mm layer of neoprene on top of my large DIY pedal plates, topped with a layer of 40 grit sanding sheet. It somewhat works, but well cushioning shoes and insoles are maybe ten times better in increasing comfort and shock absorption.

Also, I don’t think I’d try the foam on a regular pedal if the front of your shoe reaches beyond the pedal front for more than an inch or so. Standing on the edge of a foam does not generally work very well. My pedal plates are the actual size and shape of my shoe, so I can never apply pressure to the edge of the foam.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 12:33 AM, gon2fast said:

running & basketball shoes were a nightmare_xD

just saw this, haha.
with basketball shoes, even walking will be a nightmare, as it not designed to rest and relax your feet.

have you try Adidas Ultraboost? Adidas NMD? I find it best for city riding :)

1 hour ago, Phong Vu said:

just saw this, haha.
with basketball shoes, even walking will be a nightmare, as it not designed to rest and relax your feet.

have you try Adidas Ultraboost? Adidas NMD? I find it best for city riding :)

Yeah, I have ultraboosts they are too cushy! Not robust enough

On 9/14/2019 at 7:06 PM, mrelwood said:

I have a 5mm layer of neoprene on top of my large DIY pedal plates, topped with a layer of 40 grit sanding sheet. It somewhat works, but well cushioning shoes and insoles are maybe ten times better in increasing comfort and shock absorption.

Also, I don’t think I’d try the foam on a regular pedal if the front of your shoe reaches beyond the pedal front for more than an inch or so. Standing on the edge of a foam does not generally work very well. My pedal plates are the actual size and shape of my shoe, so I can never apply pressure to the edge of the foam.

Was it you that mounted some upside down diamond plate to your pedals?

5 hours ago, Blueblade said:

Was it you that mounted some upside down diamond plate to your pedals?

Yeah, I have two diamond alu plates screwed together on my 16S pedals. My daily rider MSX has a single 5mm alu plate though. Both solutions still required an L-bar for support since they reach so far beyond the original pedal frames.

• Like 1

I've started to step up my game a little now. Much more comfortable riding on the road - especially when I go out at 4am :) No traffic around means I don't need to keep stopping and starting, and can concentrate on riding, steering, and getting my feet comfortable. 

I can do about 3-4 miles now, and whenever my feet start to ache a little, I am much better at shuffling them around and finding another sweet spot for them. The only trouble with not stopping and starting much, is that I'm losing the feel for mounting from a standing start, which I thought I had nailed and so couldn't go wrong. Looks like I need to practice more :)