Nikola 100V Plus review/wheelog/journal 🦓

chrisjunlee

You should wipe rain drops off the GoPro every once in awhile. You have at least one hand free to do so. ;) An impressive commute! Just wait til it is both rainy and cold. Maybe hook up an air hose from the EUC to run warm mosfet air up your leg and into your jacket.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, greentung said:

You should wipe rain drops off the GoPro every once in awhile. You have at least one hand free to do so. ;) An impressive commute! Just wait til it is both rainy and cold. Maybe hook up an air hose from the EUC to run warm mosfet air up your leg and into your jacket.  

I like the MOSFET warming idea - those glue fumes though

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Day 21 - Wed 9/11/2019 ==

Just a video clip of my ride back home.

lol I've almost nailed about 600 rabbits and dozens of deer riding at night.. only seen a few mice/rats though

50 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

lol I've almost nailed about 600 rabbits and dozens of deer riding at night.. only seen a few mice/rats though

On the 16X, pedals clipped a bunny in the head at 15 mph. A solid thunk. Spun back around and watched over the little guy until he recovered.

4 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

On the 16X, pedals clipped a bunny in the head at 15 mph. A solid thunk. Spun back around and watched over the little guy until he recovered.

ouchie.. how the hell did that not kill it?? luckily I've yet to actually hit anything

I slightly startled a doe and her two fawns the other day (I've seen this trio a few times). As I got close they ran out of the road and in to someone's yard. As they did so, one of the fawns jumped over the hood of a parked Mercedes and clipped it with its hoof. I wouldn't be surprised if it left a nasty scratch.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

I slightly startled a doe and her two fawns the other day (I've seen this trio a few times). As I got close they ran out of the road and in to someone's yard. As they did so, one of the fawns jumped over the hood of a parked Mercedes and clipped it with its hoof. I wouldn't be surprised if it left a nasty scratch.

Did you leave your insurance card ;)

• Like 1

Forgot to mention I hit a new top speed: 42.9 mph! Updated yesterday's post with the wheelog screen :)

The crazy part: that would translate to 51 mph on the MSX 100V (19/16 multiplier). If I just had more month of summer weather, I would overnight order the MSX 100V or the Monster 100V :(

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Forgot to mention I hit a new top speed: 42.9 mph! Updated yesterday's post with the wheelog screen :)

The crazy part: that would translate to 51 mph on the MSX 100V (19/16 multiplier). If I just had more month of summer weather, I would overnight order the MSX 100V or the Monster 100V :(

I highly doubt it translates that way.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Which was probably 38-mph GPS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I highly doubt it translates that way.

I initially thought so too, but the liftoff cutoff speeds seem to support it. 

If the motors have identical KV ratings, it would be a straight wheel diameter ratio multiplier (since they have the same RPM voltage limits).

That's still an oversimplification of course, not factoring in the non-linear aspect: wind resistance and tire deflection.

IIRC, Chooch hit 50mph on the MSX, and he's 7 lbs lighter than me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

So you are becoming a wheel collector essentially haha

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Which was probably 38-mph GPS.

If you look at my wet 💦commute video, you can see the pebble watch and GoPro GPS don't differ more than 1 mph at 35mph speeds - and they match for steady state. 

In this screen you can see GPS reports 36 mph, while wheelog reports 35 mph. 

image.png.2f05ec3914b9abf454e7d0f0632a0042.png

7 minutes ago, photorph said:

So you are becoming a wheel collector essentially haha

None of my wheels are selling @_@

MCM5 800Wh, price drop: $800

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisjunlee said:

I initially thought so too, but the liftoff cutoff speeds seem to support it. 

If the motors have identical KV ratings, it would be a straight wheel diameter ratio multiplier (since they have the same RPM voltage limits).

That's still an oversimplification of course, not factoring in the non-linear aspect: wind resistance and tire deflection.

IIRC, Chooch hit 50mph on the MSX, and he's 7 lbs lighter than me.

Chooch was going down a steep hill when he hit 49mph. There’s no way you’d even come close to 51mph. But that’s a bet I wouldn’t make with you for your safety 😄

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 3

More like 21(?)/18 for the real world outer tire diameters.

Also, isn't the Nikola beeping at your speeds? There's hard motor RPM constraints so the beeps are there for a reason. Just saying;) Before you die because you don't want to believe that you can't test a EUC's top speed without crashing:)

• Like 2

If you look at my wet 💦commute video, you can see the pebble watch and GoPro GPS don't differ more than 1 mph at 35mph speeds - and they match for steady state. 

In this screen you can see GPS reports 36 mph, while wheelog reports 35 mph. 

image.png.2f05ec3914b9abf454e7d0f0632a0042.png

None of my wheels are selling @_@

MCM5 800Wh, price drop: $800

Good know. WheelLog has never been accurate for all of my wheels. Just hard to believe it really hit 43-mph.

Used wheels don't hold their value very much. Had to sell my 840wh KS14S for $500. My 1600wh MSuper V3s+ for $800.

• Like 2