Nikola 100V Plus review/wheelog/journal 🦓

chrisjunlee

And all that will do you no good if you trip. Something which you have zero control over as you don't decide the surface you will put your foot on when crashing. You might just land on the edge of a curb, or a tree root, or ... and no amount of training will save you then.

Also, can we also state the fact that you don't really have an average or even an above average level of fitness, but you are way ahead of all of us here, especially when it comes to running? :lol: 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

And all that will do you no good if you trip. Something which you have zero control over as you don't decide the surface you will put your foot on when crashing. You might just land on the edge of a curb, or a tree root, or ... and no amount of training will save you then.

Also, can we also state the fact that you don't really have an average or even an above average level of fitness, but you are way ahead of all of us here, especially when it comes to running? :lol: 

Well that would be quite rare to land on those types of things. Usually it’s just you vs flat ground whether dirt, asphalt or grass.

The mechanism of tripping would be rare after dismounting from an EUC. The first step you take off an EUC has high clearance. A high first step is optimal to generate the greatest force production when striking down into the earth. 

In order to trip you usually drag a foot, which you don’t see after a dismount. 

Regardless, balance gets too much praise. Recovering from a trip is about reaction time not balance. 

There are numerous phD research studies where I am at and I have volunteered in one before where they specifically call it a test of reaction time by tripping you. 

You walk along a test strip and without warning they raise a step that trips you and they see how quickly you can recover. Then they ask you to do it walking, jogging at different speeds. I think they were frustrated that they couldn’t cause me to fall. 

• Like 2

@Darrell Wesh. I was thinking the same thing the other day. For reaction and falling practice, I want a modified wheel that will intermittently cut off randomly between 20 seconds to 2 minutes. I won't know when it will cut off. I'd practice on dirt, grass, or rubber flooring. Obviously there is an expectation that it will cut off eventually. But, I'd imagine doing this a hundred times till help ingrain the proper fall technique.

I've fallen once where I scrapped up my elbows and knees. I only had helmet and gloves at that time. The other times when I came off my wheel I was able to run it out. Riding with slightly bent knees help.  

• Like 2

• Top battery from all sides in detail (if there's anything to see) including if any cell can be moved or the battery is in some other way structurally compromised.
  • Board in detail, so we can see everything that went up when it fried.
  • Also any other damage spots.

Just film everything inside the shell in detail so people can hunt for the original failure spot. Thanks for doing this.

• Like 2

I'll need to drop by storage and grab my tools and camera on the 16X 🐌.

Anyone know the minimum toolset for disassembly? Are the hex screws metric or imperial?

This is my tool list so far:

• allen keys
  • electric screwdriver with bit set
  • multimeter (no clue which points to test)
  • baggies to store parts
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

what would everyone like to see?

The centre of the "explosion" of the motherboard. And if the "strange remains" are one if the big capacitors blown. Or if your MB just had one? Or the second one was just not really to be seen on the video?

2 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

decent light for video

I'd prefer fotos! :D much easier to see something and zoomable, if the quality is good enough.

Wow! Looks like a zombie movie.

Surprisingly, the batteries all look ok. It was just the board. Maybe that big capacitor blowing was the "explosion".

@mrelwood's theory is good. The crash created a short and the wheel was slowly heating up until the board blew. I wonder where the original short was that caused the batteries to fry the board.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

So it looks like I lost the keys to my storage unit. So for now, here's a phone video: 

Do please let us know what went up in smoke. I think when you take it apart further you'll discover that one or more MOSFETs exploded. There are 12.

Other than that, the repair is a simple control board replacement. Your wheel should be just fine. And again, I wouldn't worry about "stressed batteries".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

”Mosfets look intact...” 🤣

Oh, is the missing chunk where the other row of MOSFETs are? Derp 😆.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe that big capacitor blowing was the "explosion"

Both capacitors are intact! Their tops are still flat and not ruptured out. No idea clue what else could blow and generate flammable gas.

Edited by chrisjunlee

6 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Both capacitors are intact! Their tops are still flat and not ruptured out.

Yes, the tops are the predetermined breaking points - but with outer influence (glowing legs, mosfets, pcb traces,...) they could get ruptured everywhere else, too.

6 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

No idea clue what else could blow and generate flammable gas.

Me neither. So my best guess would still be an "overheated" capacitor, but with a still intact top.

• Like 2

I just want to ask, are you absolute sure there wasn't problem with the wheel prior your fail? I mean you're sure, fail was resulting the wheel malfunction, rather than mulfunction caused your fail? As someone suggested, people would rather failed behind, if they dont know, what their are doing on stairs. I had similar situation on very beginning of my riding. Despite complete beginner, was managing to ride down a kerb a few times, always successfuly. Than anothe ride fail down forward. Blamed my self for being useless. Strongly believed, it was my fault. Only till I tried to switch near brand new Ninebot E+ wheel on again. Become obvious, not me, but the wheel mulfunction caused it. 

I know nothing about your skills apart what i seen on the video. You were scared to ride it down, i would say. I learned starting on a kerb, one stair, 2 stairs, 3 stairs, etc. Never attempt to try significantly more, than done before and practice it many times before move on a little. This approach building confidence together with skills, i would say. 

I wish you very best luck, always sad to see someone in such situation. 

9 hours ago, Filip said:

I just want to ask, are you absolute sure there wasn't problem with the wheel prior your fail?

It seems quite likely that there was a problem with the wheel before, even if it was not apparent before the fall. The fall just made the problem appear.

• Like 3