Nikola 100V Plus review/wheelog/journal 🦓

chrisjunlee

32 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good know. WheelLog has never been accurate for all of my wheels. Just hard to believe it really hit 43-mph.

Used wheels don't hold their value very much. Had to sell my 840wh KS14S for $500. My 1600wh MSuper V3s+ for $800.

43 mph instantaneous speed. I definitely did not sustain that speed for even a couple feet. 

== Day 25 - Mon 9/14/2019 ==

There is much I want to share, but been busy to set aside the hour or so it takes me to write up each update (it takes time to structure my thoughts, write and revise).

I've surpassed 800 miles on the Nikola - and the tides have finally turned. Despite the many flaws, the Nikola has surpassed the 16X as my favorite wheel. The reasons are ironic, and I'll cover the nuances of it in a separate update or video. The one line preview: if you value your safety, the Nikola 100V is the way to go.

Been logging my rides on euc.world, and umm:

image.thumb.png.692245d5c986f2593a359d6be6b72024.png

It's been raining hard lately, and I've been riding through that heavy rain. We're talking about socks completely drenched within a minute of riding heavy rain. The Nikola is holding up fine, but I do worry. At some point, @greentung will be opening up my Nikola for a speaker upgrade, so we'll see then.

On another note, my Leatte Dual Axis Guards are leaking rust at every pin.

image.thumb.png.71836194dcfae77db36169fc3ea0bd63.png

Rust = complete compromise of structural integrity. I suspect it started rusting the first downpour. 

[reminder: why the CST tire sucks during hard cornering]

I want to get to my most important update before I run out of time: advancing on high speed cornering technique.

In an earlier post, I mentioned having a blissful moment in cornering via motorcycle body positioning. 

As I take turns faster and faster, I'm naturally edging towards the hanging off technique.

Today I progressed one more step: I'm now resting my outer thigh on the crest of the wheel, outer arm completely outstretched grabbing/pushing off the handle. And at speed, with enough G-force, this feels utterly natural.

For those with motorcycle track experience, this is all too familiar. I'm maybe 60% to dragging knee - just need to figure out the foot placement. The slippery stock griptape has not been helping in that regard :)

I want to spend time refining this, but the days are dark and wet here, and I don't have access to a controlled environment (track). So expect slow progress on this :(

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisjunlee said:

been raining hard lately, and I've been riding through that heavy rain. We're talking about socks completely drenched within a minute of riding heavy rain. The Nikola is holding up fine, but I do worry. At some point, @greentung will be opening up my Nikola for a speaker upgrade, so we'll see then.

Don’t you have waterproof gear? Gore Tex socks and jacket? 

43 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Don’t you have waterproof gear? Gore Tex socks and jacket? 

This is my last month riding. Wasn't expecting the rain to hit so soon. Riding season was only 2 months this year. 

I don't the mind the weather as much as how bad the drivers get. We're talking about H1-Visa tech workers, 1st time driving, clueless af.

Also, not much goretex socks can do when water is flooding down your legs :)

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

This is my last month riding. Wasn't expecting the rain to hit so soon. Riding season was only 2 months this year. 

I don't the mind the weather as much as how bad the drivers get. We're talking about H1-Visa tech workers, 1st time driving, clueless af.

Also, not much goretex socks can do when water is flooding down your legs :)

lol you’d be surprised. Goretex jacket, pants, socks. You’ll be good to go and stay dry in the downpour. 

With the right gear it doesn’t matter what the weather is outside, as long as the wheel can take it, it’s a riding day. 

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1

@chrisjunlee My unsolicited advice is not to post videos with speedometer overlays that show going far over the speed limits of the "trails" that you're riding on. If one can get a red-light ticket from a camera, what do you think can happen if the wrong person happens to see your video. We all go faster than the 15 mph limit on the trails you're riding (bicycles and euc's) ... just not a good idea to put it out there imho. :(

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Way too much paranoia . Please. Let's not start self-censoring us for the hypothetical big-brother eye-in-the-sky. 

Not really paranoid of the "hypothetical big-brother-in-the-sky" ... just the pissed off trail walker/jogger that ends up working hard to get us banned on this great trail system. All I'm saying is to save the speedometer overlay for street riding videos ... not for showing "we're" going twice the speed limit on mixed-use trails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryR said:

Not really paranoid of the "hypothetical big-brother-in-the-sky" ... just the pissed off trail walker/jogger that ends up working hard to get us banned on this great trail system. All I'm saying is to save the speedometer overlay for street riding videos ... not for showing "we're" going twice the speed limit on mixed-use trails.

I kind of understand what you are saying, but EUC's are so incredible niche and the videos are niche on top of niche. I figure the odds are near astronomical that the pissed of trail walker is going to see said video and use it to get a law passed.

We all have our different perspectives and we go from there.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, JerryR said:

@chrisjunlee My unsolicited advice is not to post videos with speedometer overlays that show going far over the speed limits of the "trails" that you're riding on. If one can get a red-light ticket from a camera, what do you think can happen if the wrong person happens to see your video. We all go faster than the 15 mph limit on the trails you're riding (bicycles and euc's) ... just not a good idea to put it out there imho. :(

Have you ever looked into the Agressive Street Skating Forum? Chances are high you haven’t. You would find enough material for new laws to get inline skates banned from public streets. 😝 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lxR-lfssw

My point here is: Most people only look into things they are interested in. There are probably few pedestrians or EUC ambivalent people sneaking across this forum and watching our speed limits. 

And for EUC riders speedometer overlays offer invaluable information on the wheels we ride and their limits. And isn’t that a purpose of our forum to share all kinds of information on our hobby with others. Basically every video you post riding an EUC in the public domain at ANY speed incriminates you because EUCs are not allowed in traffic or on sidewalks in most countries. They are treated as toys and supposed to be ridden in our backyards or driveways..

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Have you ever looked into the Agressive Street Skating Forum? Chances are high you haven’t. You would find enough material for new laws to get inline skates banned from public streets. 😝 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lxR-lfssw

Wow. Just wow. I am speechless at that talent 😮. My knees can barely handle a curb drop, and here’s this guy jumping off buildings and nailing it with with no protective gear 😮.

51 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

And for EUC riders speedometer overlays offer invaluable information on the wheels we ride and their limits. And isn’t that a purpose of our forum to share all kinds of information on our hobby with others.

You understand 😍!

I love data, especially big data, where the data takes a life of its own, providing answers to questions we never knew we needed! It’s very empowering.

I want that power to be in our hands, and not stashed away by Kingsong/Gotway who already collect that telemetry with their apps. That is the main reason I love wheelog - it gives us our data and let’s us choose what to do with it in an opt-in model. It’s beautiful. @Seba

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:
9 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Wow. Just wow. I am speechless at that talent 😮. My knees can barely handle a curb drop, and here’s this guy jumping off buildings and nailing it with with no protective gear 😮.

Yeah. This guy must have a whole squadron of angels flying around and watching over him. Some people are just awesome 😎 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Quick Update: Saturday 9/21/2019 ==

Went out for a group ride and my Nikola exploded 💥

Those 👀 jolting give you an idea of how much OOMPH that had.

Will post details later.

wow, can't wait for the details! 

Most likely due to them stuffing the top battery where the control board used to be.  To achieve that, they just cut away at the shell front and back to accommodate the battery. They also use a stack of larger and then smaller pads like a pyramid to hold the battery down.  From the look of the spark, it seem like the top battery was the issue.  The cut they made on mine was really jagged.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Quick Update: Saturday 9/21/2019 ==

Went out for a group ride and my Nikola exploded 💥

Those 👀 jolting give you an idea of how much OOMPH that had.

Will post details later.

Gotways are supposed to do that!