Nikola 100V Plus review/wheelog/journal 🦓

chrisjunlee

1 hour ago, photorph said:

Just did a lift test, seems like the MSX 100v is faster.  57.1 mph on the MSX vs 50 mph on the Nikola 100v.  

Wow, did not expect that huge of a difference. 

It does make sense though: if everything is equal, the limiting factor is the RPM, thus the top speed ratios correspond to the diameter ratios.

MSX/Nikola = 19"/16" = 1.18

57.1/50 = 1.14

@houseofjob This means my 42.3 mph on the Nikola would've been a 48.3 mph on the MSX 😨.

For some reason I thought the Nikola 100V had a freespin of 55 mph - I did not realize just how close I am getting to cut-off. That's a scary after thought.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

@houseofjob This means my 42.3 mph on the Nikola would've been a 48.3 mph on the MSX 😨.

For some reason I thought the Nikola 100V had a freespin of 55 mph - I did not realize just how close I am getting to cut-off. That's a scary after thought.

The real speed guys here in NYC pretty much confirm max speed on the 100V MSX real world is ~42-43mph give or take.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 2:22 AM, chrisjunlee said:

With that said, IIRC, these are the speeds I hear the 5 beeps:

• 100% battery: beeps @38 mph
  • 70% battery: beeps @36 mph
  • 40% battery: beeps @35 mph

You must mean the first beep of the 5beep 80% alarm happens at 38mph. My first beep starts at 37mph for 180lbs. 

You were very close to cutoff man. I estimate I can push it to 42 maybe 43 mph before cutoff. I haven’t gone faster than 40mph since I did my speed test to that on the second day I owned it. 

At 39 high on my 100v Nikola everything starts slightly vibrating and resisting acceleration so I know to back off. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Chooch Tech did 49mph down a hill at 130lbs in the MSX 100v. I used to push the MSX like that and hit 37.8 on my 84v MSX on a small hill.

Wow. Ok he wins the internet.

I hit my speeds on flat roads - never felt comfortable going downhill at speed, something about it feels off to me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Both wheels were 100% battery and leaned gradually in a controlled manner?

No, msx was at full and nikola+ was not 100% but close to full (maybe like 90%).  They were just tilted forward till it beeped and stopped, and consistently msx 100v had higher speed.  I can do it on video if you all are into that.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

What’s the cut off speed for a 200 pounds rider?

Probably high 30s?  I'd just stop when I hear the 5 beeps because that's 80% motor capacity, going past the beep you're at risk for cut out.  OP on this thread went past the beeps and was riding on the edge... it's not worth the risk.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

Just did a lift off speed test for the Nikola 100V: 52.2 mph

Makes sense because mine wasn’t exactly at full battery so that’s why i was getting 50-51.  MSX 100v gives 57-58.  I still maintain that when Gotway updates the MSX it will be the fastest and best wheel.  It already is the fastest.

58 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

This is one problem with increasingly fast wheels. Too much wind noise to hear the alarms.

Either the volume needs to change dynamically with speed (although it would need to be able to get very loud), or some other means of signalling to the rider is needed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

How was he going 38mph with near 0% battery ?

todays darwin award goes to...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

39 mph at 34% battery and he's 200 pounds. 

Couldn't hear the beeps 

Can you hear connected thru Bluetooth headphones? Or just music? 

Screenshot_20190908-142109_Chrome.jpg

just music.. the beeper has nothing to do with the speakers.. best thing to do is get wheellog to warn you through a pebble watch or just vibrate your phone.. an easier thing to do is not go relatively ridiculous speeds lol

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

He couldn't hear the beeps at all... 

I guess there was a lot of wind noise. 

no one can hear the beeps its not an excuse, when you weigh 200 lbs and your battery is low you dont go near max speed thats just asking for it lol

edit: anyone going high speeds.. well, relatively (over 40 kph) should be wearing some king of earplugs.. earbuds with low volume music work as well.. its just like when youre at a loud concert the earplugs filter out the shrieking and allow you to actually hear the music, or in the case of an euc, hear the beeps.. im usually always wearing earbuds and i can hear beeps, but when i take them out all i hear is deafening wind noise lol

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

just music.. the beeper has nothing to do with the speakers.. best thing to do is get wheellog to warn you through a pebble watch or just vibrate your phone.. an easier thing to do is not go relatively ridiculous speeds lol

Is there a special setting on wheel log for that?  Or will it vibrate when the wheel beeps?

4 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

Is there a special setting on wheel log for that?  Or will it vibrate when the wheel beeps?

here you can set it up, if its enabled your phone will vibrate when the wheel would normally beep, and you can put in your own custom settings as well

Screenshot_20190908-144330_WheelLog.jpg

• Like 2