mosfets and other single points of failure, including wifes

Rehab1

1 hour ago, prasket said:

Nice.. I ordered an 16x the other day myself. Will be second batch which is a-ok with me. 

You may not have to wait for the second batch if my wife finds out. 

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You may not have to wait for the second batch if my wife finds out. 

@Rehab1 you just got to get her hooked on EUCs too it is that simple or hard. Depending what way you look at it. 🤔

Maybe @Mike Sacristan have a few tricks on how to do this. 😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

She did attempt to learn but the whole idea was squashed when I smashed my shoulder. 

My wife tried but wasn't a fan of EUC riding. We ended up getting her an escooter from Jason (Speedway III) and she loves that’s thing and going out on adventures with me on our PEVs. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, prasket said:

My wife tried but wasn't a fan of EUC riding. We ended up getting her an escooter from Jason (Speedway III) and she loves that’s thing and going out on adventures with me on our PEVs. 

That might me a good option. Does your wife lead or follow? 🤫

On 7/21/2019 at 6:19 PM, Rehab1 said:

That might me a good option. Does your wife lead or follow? 🤫

Let me rephrase that... 

Do you wife lead from the front row or pull the strings from the back row? 

Either way wife's always lead 😉

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Unventor said:

@Rehab1 you just got to get her hooked on EUCs too it is that simple or hard. Depending what way you look at it. 🤔

Maybe @Mike Sacristan have a few tricks on how to do this. 😁

I don't know how it is done in Sweden, but in Texas they don't invite wives to golf games... LOL

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Maybe because of some burned Mosfet face plants and no burned capacitor face plants? 🤣

Not really. Lots of other failures not related to MOSFETs. The obsession over mosfets is short sighted.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

When you've been around EUCs for years you learn that the MOSFETs are what fail in the vast majority of cases. Thus the obsession over MOSFET talk :)

That’s purely anecdotal, subject to selection bias. It would be nice to have actual data tracking failures and their root causes.

My perspective as a new member with fresh eyes: there’s a lot of “just replace the control board” fixes, that aren’t mosfet related, which ultimately don’t get resolved to their own category.

Edited by chrisjunlee

54 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

When you've been around EUCs for years you learn that the MOSFETs are what fail in the vast majority of cases. Thus the obsession over MOSFET talk :)

It's a good contemporary point though, as people now seem to be conflating the Nikola first gen issues with MOSFET issues in general. Not to detract from your general point of course, but the sizing of the MOSFETs in the Nikola case hasn't proved to be the root cause.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisjunlee said:

That’s purely anecdotal, subject to selection bias. It would be nice to have actual data tracking failures and their root causes.

My perspective as a new member with fresh eyes: there’s a lot of “just replace the control board” fixes, that aren’t mosfet related, which ultimately don’t get resolved to their own category.

I don't think I'll have any more constructive commentary in this sub-thread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisjunlee said:

that's because when you blow anything on a board it's really the safest route to replace it.. replacing parts isn't easy and isn't necessarily as safe even if you know exactly what you're doing

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

that's because when you blow anything on a board it's really the safest route to replace it.. replacing parts isn't easy and isn't necessarily as safe even if you know exactly what you're doing

The subtler point I'm trying to make: MOSFET failures are spectacularly first-sight obvious and they stick out enough to have their own category, with the possibility of over representation. It's a case of selection bias.

There could be a deeper problem that's 10x more likely than a MOSFET failure, yet it doesn't get the same spotlight due to it not being first sight obvious with too much effort to diagnose.

I'm concerned that by focusing too much on MOSFETs, we're not addressing bigger bang for buck system reliability improvements.

34 minutes ago, an5vf said:

so who wants to replace some MOSFETS!? :P

I would love to, assuming the control board and parts are provided. If you provide alcohol wipes, I can even follow NASA's technical standards for soldering, which is quite the step above milspec.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

I would love to, assuming the control board and parts are provided. If you provide alcohol wipes, I can even follow NASA's technical standards for soldering, which is quite the step above milspec.

Sounds good. I'll follow up on your work as your Quality Assurance Inspector following NASA's spec's guide lines. Don't forget the 18" rule that QA's follow!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’d just love to know what the heck a MOSFET is and what it does.  I have only been on this forum a few weeks and the obsession over this particular word has been massive. I would say it dominates well over 50% of discussions that I have observed. All that and I don’t even know what it is. Lol

2 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

The subtler point I'm trying to make: MOSFET failures are spectacularly first-sight obvious and they stick out enough to have their own category, with the possibility of over representation. It's a case of selection bias.

There could be a deeper problem that's 10x more likely than a MOSFET failure, yet it doesn't get the same spotlight due to it not being first sight obvious with too much effort to diagnose.

I'm concerned that by focusing too much on MOSFETs, we're not addressing bigger bang for buck system reliability improvements.

We've never had access to the circuit or firmware designs and we never will. The only area that we can offer any push-back against the manufacturers is the one component that has a demonstrable affect on the reliability and performance of our wheels: the MOSFET. Talking about any other components or hypothetical circuit designs will go nowhere IMHO.

Say what you will, but with more and bigger MOSFETs we have seen cooler running and higher performance wheels. I've seen this from my personal experience with the many wheels that I've owned.

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

I’d just love to know what the heck a MOSFET is and what it does.  I have only been on this forum a few weeks and the obsession over this particular word has been massive. I would say it dominates well over 50% of discussions that I have observed. All that and I don’t even know what it is. Lol

Use the power of Google Luke.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

toddler-broom-and-mop-set-toy-broom-and-

I always thought this is what they were talking about...

Edited by RayRay
MOPSET! (I have mild dyslexia)
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1