How to tell you are addicted to EUCs

Tom

Just for fun, what signs can tell you are addicted to riding EUCs? Lets make a list!

• Can't walk anywhere without thinking over and over in your head "This would be so much easier with my EUC"
  • Strange red marks on the inside of your shins
  • Every path you walk down you assess how you would navigate it on your EUC
  • Suddenly feel much shorter when walking

This is from 1 month owning an EUC, the addiction has definitely set in :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-You suddenly become an expert in battery technology - "Whs" and EUC motor power and wattage.

-You regularly go to google to convert KPH to MPH when looking for your next wheel.

-You are still learning how to ride your first wheel and already eyeing what your "upgrade" will be.

-*Level UP* You no longer need to go to google to convert KPH to MPH because you have memorized the conversions by heart

-You seriously dread the thought of growing old and being "too old to ride my wheel anymore" or you translate your age to "I should be able to ride my wheel for another XX amount of years"

-You are so immersed and enjoying your ride that it never occurred to you until you get home that when the cute girl across the street almost chased you down yelling "that is so cool!" "What is it?" "Wait...what's your name?" that maybe, you should have stopped and talked... lol

-

I'm not addicted, I can quit anytime I want, I just don't want to... ;)  No, of course I'm not in denial. I wonder if there'll be a need for Wheelers Anonymous in the future? :P

On top of riding a lot over the summer (even though this was a very cold & rainy summer), I've read a lot about battery technology and brushless DC-motor driving techniques (not that I still completely understand everything involved), tore down & rebuilt my wheels a couple times over, know technical specs of at least some wheels by heart, designed custom frames/shells & currently building my own, written over a 1000 posts in this forum, had custom battery-packs made (well, that didn't go so well, but I finally got the needed parts coming to get them to work properly, but it's likely still going to take a few weeks), reverse-engineered protocols & built custom app for wheels I don't even own (up to the point where I can distinguish Gotway/King Song protocols just by glancing at a binary hex dump), etc.

Ok, I might be a teeny weeny bit addicted, I admit :D. Now I'll either have to stop riding over the winter, or make a studded tire (and of course I've already eyed out extra tires & inner tubes ;)).

I could be alone on this one but also......

a growing irritation and derision aimed at those bloody Phunkee Ducks

you are not alone. I tell everyone phunkee ducks are BS:)

I started subdividing the New York territory into areas by who has a unicycle and where they are located. I think of the areas around where i live, work and the general of the path from work to home as the areas under my full control and management. And started devising plans to capture the adjacent areas so as to grow my influence and coverage:)

Phunkeeducks/hoverboards are fun too, though I believe they are best reserved for indoor use.  However, a hoverboard is not an electric unicycle, so when I go to eBay or alibaba or Amazon, stop showing me a million hoverboards when I search for electric unicycles!!

I agree about the search filter... Ebay sellers: STOP putting electric unicycle in the description for your hoverboards! :angry:

And no, I don't really have any negative feelings towards hoverboard riders....

But I DO feel a sense of superiority to them :lol: ("Oh there's no room for both of us on the sidewalk? No worries, I'll just ride here on the bumpy grass as I quietly overtake and pass you B)")

One thing I've noticed about the hover board riders...(and no, they don't deserve that name! ?) is that even though they can reach 'ok' speeds (especially the phunkee duck), EVERYONE goes super slow on them.

The wide perpendicular stance combined with the tiny wheels and the extremely abrupt turning procedure means they've almost universally experienced a faceplant/dismount as they hit even the smallest stone....and have since been too scared to go at any speed ???

Definitely an inferior product.

Hilarious replies :D I thought I was addicted but I feel like I need to try harder now! Got another

• Taking a 'detour' to avoid a kerb that makes your journey twice as long, just so you don't have step off your EUC for a second

Definitely an inferior product.

I wouldn't say hoverboards are an inferior product, at least not categorically.  They may be inferior for certain use cases such as commuting or off-roading, but I feel they are superior in smaller, tighter, more confined spaces.  It all depends on what you are looking for.

Archived