Good news from Germany

Dan the Man

7 minutes ago, buell47 said:

How about the Komoot App? I can only recommend it!

From what I have been able to see it is a paid service ...? I probably dont use that often enough for it to be worth the price. Screenshots from Google Maps work well enough for me, at least now that I have mostly figured out what is required for riding. Last weekend I rode with a map that was just big enogh for the route. I promptly took a wrong turn, rode beyond the edge of the map and got hopelessly lost. And of course that was the one day on which I had decided that I wasnt going to need a GPS, lol.

Oh and I dont think I have Internet on my phone when I am outside of the range of my wifi router at home, just the ordinary 4G phone connection. Not sure if komoot would even work wth that?

Edited by mhpr262

On 2/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, RoadRunner said:

Definitely do that.

I have a friend who had the same problem, he send them a few e-mails  told them about the battery and said that they will have to pay when the wheel is dead, a few days later they told him to pick it up.

Do NOT mention fire.  Just mention the battery will fail if improperly stored.

• 2 years later...

FFS guys. Just a few days ago police stopped me and charged me with a 250€ bill because I was driving my Segway monowheel S2 electric scooter in Bocholt.. -.-

I don't really know what to do I don't have a job at the moment to pay this + I wanna keep riding it but I don't know how to register it here. 

• Sad 3

I paid 600 € tvice and the newest fine from two weeks ago is 900 € + court costs. I have already written to several politicians from different parties but have never received an answer, not even from the Greens. I think they all depend on drips from the automotive industry.

On 2/6/2023 at 4:33 PM, Dimitris said:

FFS guys. Just a few days ago police stopped me and charged me with a 250€ bill because I was driving my Segway monowheel S2 electric scooter in Bocholt.. -.-

I don't really know what to do I don't have a job at the moment to pay this + I wanna keep riding it but I don't know how to register it here. 

Go to court. Tell them you are a safe rider and never intended to break the law. 

What about 'regular' ebikes?!? What does Germany think of them??? Euc is just an ebike...

You need to carry a bike wheel with bike handlebar with you...when you get stopped say you were just in an accident, bike broke apart, and you are just trying to get home on one wheel 😂

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2023 at 1:37 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

EUCs seem to be a grey zone in Germany (self-balancing plus one wheel only does not seem to be covered by any law). Don't just pay fines and accept them.

No they are not. They were in a gray zone before Andreas Scheuer became Minister of Transport. Since then they have actually been illegal. Approved vehicles must have handlebars and mechanical brakes. The level of penalties also shows that it is not an easy offense. Perhaps I should have mentioned the daily rates instead of the amount. I was sentenced twice to 60 daily rates each, i.e. two times two gross monthly wages, and the current process is about 90 daily rates, i.e. three gross monthly wages. If I can't lower that, I'm a convicted felon.

• Sad 1

On 2/9/2023 at 6:17 AM, MetricUSA said:

What about 'regular' ebikes?!? What does Germany think of them??? Euc is just an ebike...

You need to carry a bike wheel with bike handlebar with you...when you get stopped say you were just in an accident, bike broke apart, and you are just trying to get home on one wheel 😂

There are German manufacturers of ebikes. In the end I'm sure it's all about that. E-scooters have also been illegal in Germany for much longer than in neighboring countries. when there was no other choice because of the EU, they became legal here too. However, not without further limiting the speed (to 12 mph max) and giving the German manufacturers a three-month lead time during which only they were legally allowed to drive. This can hardly be explained with a traffic safety measure.

It's about not competing with the car or the German automotive industry. Ebikes are expensive and you can't protect them. In cities, even tightly locked, they have disappeared within a few hours. Even insured it makes no sense. It's exactly the same with scooters. I didn't only had my EUC in university and at work, I use it to go shopping, to restaurants, take it with me on the bus and train... most of it is not so easy to do with a scooter or e-bike. Only by car. And coincidentally, Germany has the world's largest auto industry and the most restrictive laws on light electric vehicles.

Edited by Mossi

18 minutes ago, Mossi said:

There are German manufacturers of ebikes. In the end I'm sure it's all about that.

E-bikes are EU-wide regulated and commonplace. They are treated like bicycles when the motor doesn't exceed 250W and 25km/h. Nothing of this is true for EUCs.

51 minutes ago, Mossi said:

No they are not. They were in a gray zone before Andreas Scheuer became Minister of Transport. Since then they have actually been illegal. Approved vehicles must have handlebars and mechanical brakes. The level of penalties also shows that it is not an easy offense. Perhaps I should have mentioned the daily rates instead of the amount. I was sentenced twice to 60 daily rates each, i.e. two times two gross monthly wages, and the current process is about 90 daily rates, i.e. three gross monthly wages. If I can't lower that, I'm a convicted felon.

Is this actually true, or does the loophole still work? Someone from Germany recently posted on reddit that the police told them that EUCs are neither legal nor illegal (aka not covered by law aka that would be legal).

The gray area no longer exists. In the course of the legalization of e-scooters, alternatives were also carried out as part of an "Untersuchung zu Elektrokleinstfahrzeugen" by the Federal Highway Research Institute and commissioned by the then CSU-led Ministry of Transport.

https://bast.opus.hbz-nrw.de/opus45-bast/frontdoor/deliver/index/docId/2083/file/F125_Internet_PDF.pdf

Since then, vehicles have to have a handle and two brake systems that work independently of one another. Both are impossible to implement with EUCs. EUCs were also not examined at all. Since two inexperienced people from the Federal Transport Agency were not able to master the EUC right away, it was classified as unsuitable for participation in road traffic. It's either blatant incompetence or corruption. Given that Segways work on the same technical principle and are still legal (because of the price, weight and range they hardly compete with cars), I lean more towards one than the other.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mossi said:

It's either blatant incompetence or corruption.

If kids are introduced to electric wheels, like bicycles, many people would be able to ride them, instead of fearing them.

In the US, according to the CEO of RadPower, most of the bikes they sell, are used to replaced car miles. However, IMO, electric wheels are even more appropriate for replacing car miles. Hence, if electric wheels catch on, companies such as Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMW, Bosche cannot be happy about that, especially in Germany. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 12:14 PM, Mossi said:

Perhaps I should have mentioned the daily rates instead of the amount. I was sentenced twice to 60 daily rates each, i.e. two times two gross monthly wages, and the current process is about 90 daily rates, i.e. three gross monthly wages.

:o

Yeah I think that would be enough to stop me riding. Holy smoke.

I think Germany has attacked this the same way that the UK will - eg no handles and no independent brake = no bueno.

19 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

Why wouldn't they be happy about that?
Do you think I would give up a high-quality car as soon as I could legally ride EUC in Germany?

As soon as you compare the operating costs, you would at least think twice. Most people don't really need a car, except maybe as a status symbol.

On 2/10/2023 at 2:20 PM, Mossi said:

Since then, vehicles have to have a handle[bar] and two brake systems that work independently of one another. Both are impossible to implement with EUCs. 

Well the police officer who stopped me last year in my hometown near Munich thought the trolley handle of my V10F (that I had extended while talking to him) was a handlebar, and he therefore told me my wheel was perfectly legal to ride... havent had any trouble with the police since. To be fair that was the first time I was stopped after 10.000 miles in about two years.

if you ever get stopped show the police the trolley handle of your wheel and claim that is a handlebar which makes it legal to ride, like ALL newer EUCs.. it was only teh bad first batch of EUCs that didnt have a handlebar to make them legal, yes, officer....

Edited by mhpr262

21 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

if you ever get stopped show the police the trolley handle of your wheel and claim that is a handlebar which makes it legal to ride, like ALL newer EUCs.. it was only teh bad first batch of EUCs that didnt have a handlebar to make them legal, yes, officer....

They saw it and took photos, but neither the police nor the courts (three different ones) were impressed. I'm glad they didn't confiscate and destroy the wheel as it was used to commit a crime and they have the right to do so. After the second time, they tried it later, but I said I'd already sold it.

I am getting quite tired of bureaucratic hypocrisy. All these talk about saving the earth, going green...da da da... Then these countries like Germany, Singapore and the like doing things to block PEV popularity and usage. None of these bureaucrats probably has never been on one and they are making the rules/regulations???

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2023 at 9:19 PM, Paul A said:

German authorities should maybe see the Netherland's attitude to non car transport devices.

Funny enough, EUC's and even e-scooters are still not legal in the Netherlands. Shame, with those bike paths. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sidderke said:

Funny enough, EUC's and even e-scooters are still not legal in the Netherlands. Shame, with those bike paths. 

Yes that is maximum insania. To be honest it seems rude NOT to ride paths so nice..

• Like 1