MSuper X vs. KS18L: Has Gotway become 'safe enough'?

6 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Complacency is indeed the worst enemy in most areas of life, but especially when one is piloting a machine that can deadly in the wrong hands. However drunk is probably more dangerous than complacency if one is driving. Home on your sofa with a beer in your hand drunk is much better ??

Not sure if you follow the Z thread, but a guy from N Florida got hit by a car riding at night in the streets in Tampa... Point is not only do we need to be careful of ourselves but ride defensively with the assumption others are not responsible or attentive... :wacko:

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Not sure if you follow the Z thread, but a guy from N Florida got hit by a car riding at night in the streets in Tampa... Point is not only do we need to be careful of ourselves but but ride defensively with the assumption others are not responsible or attentive... :wacko:

Especially with EUCs because people are generally unaccustomed to looking out for them. My son rides his wheel 9 miles in each direction across DC daily commuting to and from campus. I still feel nervous if he is riding at night.

Even though DC is great for riding because of all the dedicated bike lanes EUCs can borrow, if my son leaves campus after dark we have agreed that he will use Subway or Bus to commute home with his wheel as a last mile tool. 

It is terrible what happened to the rider in Florida,  but I'm afraid that we may unfortunately see more of this as electric mobility commuter devices begin to take their place in the market. 

47 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Not sure if you follow the Z thread, but a guy from N Florida got hit by a car riding at night in the streets in Tampa... Point is not only do we need to be careful of ourselves but ride defensively with the assumption others are not responsible or attentive... :wacko:

I may have missed that post, about someone being hit by a car. Which of the many Z threads, and was it a recent post?

17 hours ago, mrelwood said:

This is good to know! I have once reached 52km/h, and I don’t plan on taking this 91kg torso any faster. But it is good to know that there really is a stupid amount of reserve left for a rider with my weight. Also for acceleration around 40km/h, or slower in a slight uphill.

Yes absolutely to know is great cause have a limit to aim for and know the limits of the reserves, we are about same weight, same geography, same model so??

Glad if it help you somehow, free spinning/lifting speed I hit about 71 before cutting out, if this is normal or not I have not checked out just as a reference though, so almost 60 to me sounds like really pushing my luck when thinking of it like that afterwards. Just that app Wheel log cannot set tilt back where I want it, I would like a bit faster and not experience tilt back right after 40 somewhere, if able to set it to 50 exact and not tilting at all before but wait til 50 exact I would be happy.

9 hours ago, who_the said:

Entirely apt comparison.

More than 100 Boeing 737's have crashed. Thousands have died. Yet I'd gladly step aboard one tomorrow if the price (and destination) was right.

I "risk" my life every day on my Gotway. I have done so for close to 10,000 miles of challenging, hazard-filled urban riding, and will gleefully do so tomorrow. And the day after, and the one after that, God willing.

Gotway makes the best EUC on the planet, period. Speed, range, torque, braking; other wheels come close, but all fall short. Argue all you want, but the most serious riders — the ones who put their lives on the line on their wheels every day — ride Gotway.

Getting back to the comparison, I'd love an aluminum shell Gotway with aircraft manufacturing tolerances. Although to be honest, I do prefer Airbus...

Yes on Boeing. Thousands have died... Millions? Tens of millions? Hundreds of millions have all come away unscathed. If you're looking at the numbers, Boeing is who you want getting into the EUC business:) Airbus has the better automated landing system (can barely tell that you're wheels down). But I've still yet to ride the Dreamliner. And the 777 will always be my favorite heavy long-hauler.

The Gotway situation is going to change. The fundamentals may have improved. But I'll agree with @eddiemoy's take on the quality control. My opinion is that Gotway is a value brand, though I do recognize that they're not currently seen that way in this market's infancy. Looking at the Russian website that's linked to in this thread, even the X is way off the mark. It may out-muscle and out-range everyone else. But for everyone else to match that capability, there's nothing unique or proprietary going on there. Just slap in a bigger battery and/or bigger motor.

Where Gotway (and to a much lesser degree Kingsong) come off the rails is in build quality and aesthetics. Coming from fresh eyes, EUC's largely aren't attractive (as objects go). The Z10 is the only thing that changes that equation. Its angles and proportions ooze sex. The housing for the headlight: :efee6b18f3:... Ninebot simply nailed it and it's because of designs like that that this market will grow much faster. The 18L (capabilities notwithstanding), not so much. The V3s+ that I ride is very utilitarian and the X is iterative of that (with faux carbon fiber and lights). That all said, I haven't seen a tear down of the Z10. But if my suspicions are correct, Ninebot (with their much deeper pockets) will own this market in the next two generations. They clearly have the design process down. If their QC is what I would assume, bigger batteries/motors/etc are a no-brainer. 

Truly, it will come down to the software. The low-hanging fruit will be Traction Control and Oscillation Control (the latter being a h/w, s/w combo). I would expect to see those two things around the corner, sooner than later. Beyond that, it's hard to see.

1 hour ago, MikeV said:

The Z10 is the only thing that changes that equation. Its angles and proportions ooze sex. The housing for the headlight: :efee6b18f3:... Ninebot simply nailed it and it's because of designs like that that this market will grow much faster.

I respect this opinion,  but in some ways it represents the inverse of mine; especially with respect to aesthetics - I wouldn't even look at the current Ninebot unless I owned a Virginia Vineyard and wanted to experiment with the efficacy of using EUCs to mash grapes ? - the low speed stability of a wide tire would make it better than foot smushing the grapes. Of course, when I wasn't busy smushing grapes, I would be happily using it to smush Shenandoah mountain trails.

I think the 18L looks sleek and classy while the Ninebot looks like something I would attach to the end of a stick to make a bludgeoning weapon if I was blacksmith for the Orcs in Lord of the Rings.

The Ninebot is definitely a unique looking wheel, but it ain't sexy or pretty to me. 

While the aesthetics of an individual wheel is too subjective to credit it with growing a market. As in other industries a wide range of design approaches will definitely spark more interest and fuel market growth. Some will like the Aesthetic of wheels that are sort of reminiscent of the helmet worn by the Juggernaut from the X-men, while others will go for the sleek flying saucer look of the KS wheels - one order of the flying saucer look for me please. 

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

I respect this opinion,  but in some ways it represents the inverse of mine; especially with respect to aesthetics - I wouldn't even look at the current Ninebot unless I owned a Virginia Vineyard and wanted to experiment with the efficacy of using EUCs to mash grapes ? - the low speed stability of a wide tire would make it better than foot smushing the grapes. Of course, when I wasn't busy smushing grapes, I would be happily using it to smush Shenandoah mountain trails.

I think the 18L looks sleek and classy while the Ninebot looks like something I would attach to the end of a stick to make a bludgeoning weapon if I was blacksmith for the Orcs in Lord of the Rings.

The Ninebot is definitely a unique looking wheel, but it ain't sexy or pretty to me. 

While the aesthetics of an individual wheel is too subjective to credit it with growing a market. As in other industries a wide range of design approaches will definitely spark more interest and fuel market growth. Some will like the Aesthetic of wheels that are sort of reminiscent of the helmet worn by the Juggernaut from the X-men, while others will go for the sleek flying saucer look of the KS wheels - one order of the flying saucer look for me please. 

I agree, in that ultimately this is all very subjective. I'm glad that there's competition.

That being said, I really like whatever wheel I'm riding at the moment :)

11 minutes ago, novazeus said:

chicks like the looks of the z10 the best.

that cuts both ways.

when i try to get my little gfs on a wheel, now they will really sneer at the other ones and want a z10 to ride.

?? OK,  man. If you say so. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree, in that ultimately this is all very subjective. I'm glad that there's competition.

That being said, I really like whatever wheel I'm riding at the moment :)

As Martin Lawrence would say - True Dat. ?

15 minutes ago, novazeus said:

chicks like the looks of the z10 the best.

that cuts both ways.

when i try to get my little gfs on a wheel, now they will really sneer at the other ones and want a z10 to ride.

This. And why I want one...

My Z10 brings all the girls to the yard, cuz' my Z10 is betta' than yours:)

1 hour ago, MikeV said:

This. And why I want one...

My Z10 brings all the girls to the yard, cuz' my Z10 is betta' than yours:)

Must be all that Pop-Locking and Krumping you have to do to get that Ninebot to turn corners that is getting those ladies all saucy ?

Maybe KS or Gotway will one day design the wheels that brings the ladies all the way to the bed; call them the "KS Baby Boomer," and the "Gotway MSeX." ?

22 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Must be all that Pop-Locking and Krumping you have to do to get that Ninebot to turn corners that is getting those ladies all saucy ?

Maybe KS or Gotway will one day design the wheels that brings the ladies all the way to the bed; call them the "KS Baby Boomer," and the "Gotway MSeX." ?

I think we're going to see a Z10 killer from Gotway within the next 6-months. Gotway's version will have manly batteries and won't be a wimp when it comes to the mountains of Zeus.

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

?? OK,  man. If you say so. 

no, they say so.

lesson number 1.

i bought 2 little 9bot1s1’s for $300 and they are all these little 100 pounders need but they’ll want me to get an extra z10 or two for them because of the looks and @$2k that’s overkill. they couldn’t pick it up probably.

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think we're going to see a Z10 killer from Gotway within the next 6-months. Gotway's version will have manly batteries and won't be a wimp when it comes to the mountains of Zeus.

Nice! Not surprising though. I am looking forward to seeing what they do and your test video. ??

11 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

For what you're paying them, I might say it too ??

no it’s not like dc politician girlfriends.

these two goofballs. 

i made the mistake of showing them the z10. before they were like ho-hum on the other wheels i showed them but both were “i like that one” so it’s only two but other gfs of mine like the z10 looks. so anedotal evidence is it’s attractive to both sexes. 

74281BCD-5E4C-4795-9FDB-3290D7699529.thumb.jpeg.d190f242fa1d13c55a1654505b1f2eff.jpeg

9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

You mean that you ain't Rollin with the, Condoleeza Rice, Monica Lewinsky, and Trump's 27 year old Secretary type of DC politician girlfriends. Cheaper to keep her close at all times, but not close enough to leave stains. ?? 

41 minutes ago, novazeus said:

these two goofballs. 

i made the mistake of showing them the z10. before they were like ho-hum on the other wheels i showed them but both were “i like that one” so it’s only two but other gfs of mine like the z10 looks. so anedotal evidence is it’s attractive to both sexes. 

74281BCD-5E4C-4795-9FDB-3290D7699529.thumb.jpeg.d190f242fa1d13c55a1654505b1f2eff.jpeg

OK, I'm following you now,  you meant that they were better looking than DC Politician girlfriends. 

But @novazeus why don't you let me come over for a visit and show them my 18L. Purely in the interest of confirming your initial findings of course ???

You guys rang?  I see my name mentioned many times since I’ve been away for a while.  I think I had expectations for the V3s+ that couldn’t be met.  Watched too many videos talk it up and when I got it it was a huge disappointment.  Mainly because I felt it had huge design flaws compared to the other wheels I was riding.  I didn’t understand why it was riding so weird, not at all natural like the other wheels.  

Only reason I’m getting the next MSX is after seeing many of the improvements they have put into the wheel.  I also got a chance to ride it and it didn’t feel weird, except the pedal dip.  But I’m not sure if it is because I’m much more experienced now and even the weird pedal dip doesn’t phase me.  The new MSX wheel doesn’t feel awkward as compared to the old V3s+.  I think if I haven’t ridden anything else and that was the only wheel I’ve experienced, I probably would have like it.  But just like going from airwheel x3 to Ninebot c+ was a good upgrade, the biggest difference came when I went from Ninebot c+ to KS16.  The KS16 just felt natural.  That is the only way I can describe it.  Going from that to the V3s+, I just hated it. 

Inside of the Gw is still amaturish. The side pads are a joke.  Already mentioned pedal dip in turns.  Lack of water proofing.  

Here are the good...  don’t know how they silenced the motor, incredible.  3” tire without the weird gyro feeling of the Z10. Stance is wide, but doesn’t feel weird.  Upgraded wires and mosfets.  Much more safe now than before. 

I like our group meets, gives us a chance to try a wheel before buying.  I really thought the ride would be the same because from the outside the only diff is the thinner side pads.  Don’t know what they changed to make it feel better.  But I liked it enough to buy and try it again.  I was thinking of getting the mcm5, but couldn’t figure out a use for it.  

I think GW has come a long way, thanks to @Marty Backe for breaking them so they can improve them. It would have been bad if they didn’t address the issues, but they seem to have come around a bit.  

Just now, Lutalo said:

OK, I'm following you now,  you meant that they were better looking than DC Politician girlfriends. 

But @novazeus why don't you let me come over for a visit and show them my 18L. Purely in the interest of confirming your initial findings of course ???

i was gonna get a matte black one so i’m sure i sent them pictures of that one too. i cancelled the order when people were having to disassemble them to power them down. 

like i said the only one getting raves from my friends is the z10.

i don’t think driving a euc will ever illicit the same response as say driving an audi r8.

they cost money in dinners, drinks, vacations etc but certainly aren’t hookers. nice girls.

7 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i was gonna get a matte black one so i’m sure i sent them pictures of that one too. i cancelled the order when people were having to disassemble them to power them down. 

like i said the only one getting raves from my friends is the z10.

i don’t think driving a euc will ever illicit the same response as say driving an audi r8.

they cost money in dinners, drinks, vacations etc but certainly aren’t hookers. nice girls.

I am sure that they are nice ladies,  I am just kidding around. However,  to be fair they should see an 18L up close and in person.??

Archived