More bad news for U.S. wheel prices? You'll have to pay sales tax now.

meepmeepmayer

Looks like the "no sales tax on online purchases from another state" decision is a thing of the past:

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article213581469.html

High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax

The Supreme Court says states can force online shoppers to pay sales tax.

The 5-4 ruling Thursday is a win for states, who said they were losing out on billions of dollars annually under two decades-old Supreme Court decisions that impacted online sales tax collection.

The high court ruled Thursday to overturn those decisions. They had resulted in some companies not collecting sales tax on every online purchase. The cases the court overturned said that if a business was shipping a product to a state where it didn't have a physical presence such as a warehouse or office, the business didn't have to collect the state's sales tax. Customers were generally supposed to pay the tax to the state themselves if they don't get charged it, but the vast majority didn't.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote that the previous decisions were flawed.

(more at link)

First the uncertainty about the Trump tariffs, now this. Double whammy:efef27703d: Those were some fine wheel prices you enjoyed. Feeling for @Jason McNeil, must be taxing times right now.

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Looks like the "no sales tax on online purchases from another state" decision is a thing of the past:

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article213581469.html

First the uncertainty about the Trump tariffs, now this. Double whammy:efef27703d: Those were some fine wheel prices you enjoyed. Feeling for @Jason McNeil, must be taxing times right now.

ya, i wonder how long it will take for the states to implement the new tax? can’t find anything on that. hopefully my next two wheels will come in under the wire.

so people shift from amazon to vendors on aliexpress? that doesn’t seem too ‘merica to me.

vehicle sales tax has been the biggest rip off for years. in my county, u buy a $50k vehicle, pay $3050 in sales tax, not to mention registration fees, the next year u sell it for $40k, the new purchaser pays $2450, if this pattern continues, the next guy that buys it pays $1850, etc etc.

talk about double taxation. if our government didn’t squander 90 cents of every dollar they stole, that would be nice.

While I appreciate the SD rules required 200 sales or $100k of transactions to the state before being enacted this ruling risks putting a serious burden on smaller online businesses.

My wife is trying to get her business up and running and it took her days to discover and input the details for the taxes just in Florida because each county and even city can add a bit extra to skim off for themselves on top of the state mandated amount. You end up with loads of different tax rates depending on where you ship the item to in the state.

If this becomes required for all states it would be an unimaginable burden to setup and then maintain annually as states, counties, and cities adjust their rates. The whole thing was made worse by the state of Florida (and probably many other states) having abysmal resources available to assist her in doing this despite the fact it is a requirement on a business. She had to merge documents that set out the rates per city/county with a document detaling zip codes contained within the city and county lines before she could input them all into etsy.

You would think Etsy would offer to do this for you but even they don't want the responsibility.

I noticed the other day that taxes were being enacted on online transactions that weren't there a few months ago. A online movie rental from the Microsoft Store was $5.99 but I found out (after the fact) that I ended up paying nearly $6.80. The rate (over 13%) was higher than the typical state and county sales tax of 7% because it included online communications taxes.

The wheel business is pretty small. I wonder if EWheels (based in Florida) currently charges its Florida customers sales tax? My first two wheels were bought from California, where I live. I wasn't charged tax.

I think this will only affect large online retailers.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The wheel business is pretty small. I wonder if EWheels (based in Florida) currently charges its Florida customers sales tax? My first two wheels were bought from California, where I live. I wasn't charged tax.

I think this will only affect large online retailers.

shhh!

i would cancel my orders if that happened. when it comes to what i consider unfair tax collections, i’m very anti-government. i’m anti-government on most shit actually. the politicians do not represent the voters like they are suppose to.

this is how our us government works. pay to play. and this is a bigger deal because people are dying needlessly. 

keep in mind, the voters overwhelmingly voted for legalization of medical marijuana and the polls show the majority want recreational legalized.

28973864748_b8bb64f55e_b.jpg

42220595884_ebfca1b71e_b.jpg

I would say this is good news (for anyone owning an EUC now). Price is a major prohibitive factor in purchasing these,  and the fewer there are out on the road,  the longer we can fly under the radar (as far as enforcement or new laws are concerned).  Prices may end up dropping down the road,  but this is a good buffer for riders that enjoy their uniqueness.

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

13 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

I would say this is good news (for anyone owning an EUC now). Price is a major prohibitive factor in purchasing these,  and the fewer there are out on the road,  the longer we can fly under the radar (as far as enforcement or new laws are concerned).  Prices may end up dropping down the road,  but this is a good buffer for riders that enjoy their uniqueness.

More wheels sold is better for the manufacturers and for us in the long run.

33 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

The perceived and real difficulties of learning to ride an EUC is enough to keep this a niche activity far into the future. We don't need higher prices. As the owner of more than a few wheels, I don't relish the thought of paying higher prices :efee8c29ce:

I understand your sentiment, but I can't agree with it.

Lets hope the prices stabilize or even go down, our community continues to grow, and the manufacturers and resellers maintain a healthy business. We can remain small and niche yet still support a profitable business center to keep us supplied with more and better wheels. Increased taxes is not going to help give us better wheels.

I wonder whether people felt that way about bicycles when they were first invented.  Learning how to ride a bike was equally challenging for some.  If only pricing would drop a bit more on these it would make them accessible to a wider range of people. How many 15 year olds ( @Shad0z excepted) can afford a $1600 EUC?   How many can afford a $99 bicycle?

Hopefully batteries will drop in price sometime in the future because the other wheel elements aren't really that costly.  When people ask me what my wheel cost, you can tell that they think it's way overpriced for what it is.  They aren't able to comprehend the fun factor that makes it all worthwhile.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

they think it's way overpriced for what it is.

I have ridden about 9000km in a year on my EUC. I have used my car way way less than that, both in time and distance. How much did I pay (and keep paying for upkeep) for the car?

Boy these EUCs are cheap!

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder whether people felt that way about bicycles when they were first invented.  Learning how to ride a bike was equally challenging for some.  If only pricing would drop a bit more on these it would make them accessible to a wider range of people. How many 15 year olds ( @Shad0z excepted) can afford a $1600 EUC?   How many can afford a $99 bicycle?

dont expect 15 year olds to get 99 dollar bikes. :P 

they all need expensive bikes now. You know. they need to look cool and manly on their super racing bikes. When i go to school on my euc. Practically all the boys in my class are standing there parking their expensive bikes. To give you an example i asked some classmates and i looked their bikes up on the internet. And the usual price is somewhere between 1000usd to about 2500usd.

there are a few who have normal cheaper bikes. But

dont underestimate the need to look cool as a teenager. :P  but when they grow up they will notice how much money they wasted on brand clothes, and bikes. And soon enough mopeds. 

but here is an example of what kind of bikes they have. To give you an idea. they spend wayyy to much money for a simple ride to the school. then you can say. then why did you buy an euc?... well i actually use it, i it now replaces some bus and train rides i would otherwise waste a lot of money on

Billedresultat for fat mountain bike

42 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

"but here is an example of what kind of bikes they have. To give you an idea. they spend wayyy to much money for a simple ride to the school. then you can say. then why did you buy an euc?... well i actually use it, i it now replaces some bus and train rides i would otherwise waste a lot of money on"

I don't for one second believe ANYONE on this forum got into this hobby for 100% practical reasons. 

It would've been the cool factor, followed by the novelty, with pragmatic commuting-type reasons pulling up a distant third.

If looking (Or feeling) cool on a mountain bike/in a car/euc makes you feel good, then it's not a waste of money. Life is short. I'm much more puzzled by the amount of money people spend on fashion and make-up. At least gadgets do something and perk up this mundane life.

17 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

I'm much more puzzled by the amount of money people spend on fashion and make-up. At least gadgets do something and perk up this mundane life.

Hehe. They just don't know any better, so they look to perk up this mundane life that way instead of having a proper hobby like we do!

1 hour ago, Paddylaz said:

I don't for one second believe ANYONE on this forum got into this hobby for 100% practical reasons. 

It would've been the cool factor, followed by the novelty, with pragmatic commuting-type reasons pulling up a distant third.

If looking (Or feeling) cool on a mountain bike/in a car/euc makes you feel good, then it's not a waste of money. Life is short. I'm much more puzzled by the amount of money people spend on fashion and make-up. At least gadgets do something and perk up this mundane life.

i will have to admit . Yes i bought euc also because i thought it looked cool.

But mostly because its so stupidly fun! And not compromising on practicality either.

Anyways my classmates dont think it looks cool and manly. So you will not see me on the forums for a few months. I will be going through a mental breakdown until i get a moped to be cool like the others... Please understand. :roflmao:

Hey @novazeus and @WARPed1701D, wanted to make a comment with a little different view regarding the sales tax issue because we all live in FL.... I am originally from NY and used to work in NJ... I was not only paying my Federal IRS bill every year, but had to pay NY and NJ state income tax annually as well, that is before sales tax on purchases .... As we know, the state of FL along with only a few states in this country have no Annual State Income Tax. This was always a big deal for me as NY and NJ are "OUTRAGEOUS"... A trip into NYC over the GW bridge I am being told is over $20 now... 

Before you start hating on me...  NO, I do not work for the government, or the State, I am definitely not "pro gov", and I certainly do not want to pay more taxes than I am right now.. The vast majority of the US population spend their time commenting on social media about other peoples personal affairs, and the media daily (Yahoo) thinks it is important for me to have information on Hollywood's Actors marital status, fidelity, plastic surgery schedules, weight fluctuations, spending habits, etc... I prefer to hop on a wheel, crank some AC/DC, and enjoy life for a few hours.... 

If my 5th wheel is going to be an additional $100, that will SUCK but the enjoyment and distraction is worth it... :)

36 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Hey @novazeus and @WARPed1701D, wanted to make a comment with a little different view regarding the sales tax issue because we all live in FL.... I am originally from NY and used to work in NJ... I was not only paying my Federal IRS bill every year, but had to pay NY and NJ state income tax annually as well, that is before sales tax on purchases .... As we know, the state of FL along with only a few states in this country have no Annual State Income Tax. This was always a big deal for me as NY and NJ are "OUTRAGEOUS"... A trip into NYC over the GW bridge I am being told is over $20 now... 

Before you start hating on me...  NO, I do not work for the government, or the State, I am definitely not "pro gov", and I certainly do not want to pay more taxes than I am right now.. The vast majority of the US population spend their time commenting on social media about other peoples personal affairs, and the media daily (Yahoo) thinks it is important for me to have information on Hollywood's Actors marital status, fidelity, plastic surgery schedules, weight fluctuations, spending habits, etc... I prefer to hop on a wheel, crank some AC/DC, and enjoy life for a few hours.... 

If my 5th wheel is going to be an additional $100, that will SUCK but the enjoyment and distraction is worth it... :)

I have no problem with Government when it acts professionally and in the interests of all the people it supposedly represents without bias to those who can pay more or have a particular religious driven mandate. I have no problem paying taxes (I'm originally from England you know) when the money is used efficiently and for the good of all. I also have no problem with leveling the playing field when it comes to the taxes collected by brick and mortar stores and their online competitors. You misread my concerns and I'm certainly not going to hate on you.

What I have a problem with is the burden this will place on small businesses because of the overly complex sales tax system in the US and the utter lack of useful support provided to businesses by the very governments that demand you be their unpaid tax collectors. I already detailed the painfull process my wife went through to try setup her etsy store so it correctly applied taxes for the state of Florida. If she had to do that 40 times over (I believe something like 10 states do not collect sales tax) I think the administrative burden on her would be too much to make operating online worthwhile. Etsy won't do it for you because they don't want the burden either and if they did do it they would charge more in fees resulting in less profit for her. I could accept a tax system whereby online businesses are only required to collect the state mandated tax percentage (6% in FL) of the buyers state meanign just a few tax rates to track, but not when you have to factor in hundreds of county and city variances over the whole country (like the additional "Penny for Pinellas" tacked on to all sales in Pinellas county).

@Marcglider the new sales tax thing helps me monetarily more than the chump change i’d have to pay on purchases. by leaning on internet sales, that puts brick and mortar back in play so i know u know where my ranch is, on i75 and i275 junction just north of tampa, next to tampa bays only outlet mall which is on the part of the ranch we sold years ago. so i’m not opposed to the sales tax. still think the government wastes that tax money because of my close relationship with the government my whole life.

i just started working a huuuge deal on my 325 acres day before yesterday so i might be an ex pat soon anyway.

10 minutes ago, novazeus said:

@Marcglider the new sales tax thing helps me monetarily more than the chump change i’d have to pay on purchases. by leaning on internet sales, that puts brick and mortar back in play so i know u know where my ranch is, on i75 and i275 junction just north of tampa, next to tampa bays only outlet mall which is on the part of the ranch we sold years ago. so i’m not opposed to the sales tax. still think the government wastes that tax money because of my close relationship with the government my whole life.

i just started working a huuuge deal on my 325 acres day before yesterday so i might be an ex pat soon anyway.

I TOTALLY agree with the government pissing money away... I own rental properties a few receive "section8" (FREE Money) and I can tell U stuff that would just upset you as it does me... It is amazing that they will not pass a law requiring random drug tests for Welfare recipients but If I actually want to "WORK" for the government and not get a handout, they Require me to be drug free.... OK, this is why I just crank up the tunes and "tune out" all the CRAP and hop on my wheel...

On a different note, I went on-line to find out where the "best" place to move outside the US... in the past 8 years, CUENCA EQUADOR was voted #1 6 years in a row... I visited there and loved it... spent 3 months there 2 years ago and was going to get my resident visa... Last year April, I was in Quito for 3 weeks, long story short, I had 3 guys pull up in a car behind me, middle of the day, beat the shit out of me in the middle of the road, stick a gun in my face and try to kidnap me... sayings like "the grass is greener, and be careful what you wish for" come to mind... Good luck on your deal... Maybe we should hit the VAN FLEET TRAIL about half way between us for a ride before you depart:D

@Marcglider yeah security, tax treatment, government etc etc is an issue when thinking about being an ex pat. i’m thinking maybe the carribean. 

at 64 years old and being born and raised on this ranch and spending two thirds of my life here, my homing pigeon traits are strong, so i might buy land elsewhere to visit but keep my home base here on 18 acres(really closer to 25 acres but i’ll only own 18, i’m buffered by unusable wetlands). i like my privacy and it’s hard to find good places to live that isn’t already crowded with humans.

i can’t do long distance wheeling because Bob is not a long distance dog. he can’t even make it to my gate at a full sprint. Bob and i are inseparable. we would both be miserable if we were apart. i’m gonna marry Bob so he can avoid “death tax” if i pass before him. i’ll be looking down from Heaven watching Bob and his attorneys argue their case in front of the supremes. i’m sure they’ll have a problem with me marrying my dog, my best friend.

tampa is rocking, so is melbourne.

Archived