Tire worn bald?

FrankFilmer

How many people here I've actually worn tires bald on an euc? I'm just curious but guessing not many. 

On my ks16s I wore it bald enough to get a flat tonight. Luckily I have a replacement tire ready to go and my new tube should arrive tomorrow.

Do to my riding style, I see many, many tire changes are in my future.

1 hour ago, FrankFilmer said:

How many people here I've actually worn tires bald on an euc? I'm just curious but guessing not many. 

On my ks16s I wore it bald enough to get a flat tonight. Luckily I have a replacement tire ready to go and my new tube should arrive tomorrow.

Do to my riding style, I see many, many tire changes are in my future.

@FrankFilmer How many miles did you do to get the tire to that point?

I feel the lost of grip in wet or mud but otherwise I don't have many problems with my bold tire. The v5f 550W engine isn't capable of develop enough torque to overpass the grip in clean surfaces.

Is a 3000 km old tire with I take only one puncture, solved with slime

IMG_20180604_200625_326.jpg

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Stop doing those peel outs, and the tire will last longer!  :rolleyes:

Reveal hidden contents

I would but would a life without peelouts really be a life worth living? ?

10 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

@FrankFilmer How many miles did you do to get the tire to that point?

It currently has 751 miles on it but only half are mine due to buying it preowned.

3 hours ago, Demargon said:

I feel the lost of grip in wet or mud but otherwise I don't have many problems with my bold tire. The v5f 550W engine isn't capable of develop enough torque to overpass the grip in clean surfaces.

Is a 3000 km old tire with I take only one puncture, solved with slime

IMG_20180604_200625_326.jpg

I have a new can of slime I may use today just as a test. I'll be spending 3 weeks out in the woods in july and am planning on using the new tire for max grip in the dirt.

• 2 months later...

I am a little worried about my ks16s tire, it looks more worn than I think it should at 680 miles.  I was just shopping around for a spare.  I am debating on trying a ninebot one tire on it.  

V8, 16" Kendas, left tire after 2000km, middle tire after 4000km and very close its end of lifetime, arguably even beyond, and changed after having a flat. The new tire to the right is a different 16" 2.125 Kenda which has reduced the wobbles over longitudinal grooves substantially.

20180830_234804.thumb.jpg.205a3e0945d4f70fa7219b1b48c5ddd8.jpg

Contrary to my expectations, EUCs seem gentle on tires. I would have thought the combination of motorization and "willfully dumb" traction control would accelerate tire wear but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I recently replaced my Continentals in my bike after a mere 1600 miles. Since this is the exact same route I take on my EUC, we can directly compare those two technologies.

2600 miles on an KS16s: $20 stock replacement tire.

1600 miles on a 700c wheel: $25*2 + 1 blown innertube.

At the very least I estimate an EUC tire running cost to be twice as much as a bicycle, and possibly much more. However, a standard bicycle (which I do not own) can change tires in under five minutes.

A wheel is a pain; just clean the wheel, then carry it into the living room, place it on a table in front of your couch plus two beers, and then spend the next two hours changing that tire. Electric screwdriver is your friend.

You need to be in your living room because you can easily watch utube videos on how to change your wheel. Your smart phone's screen isn't big enough to clearly see details (you know, the gotchas).

I've begun dreading the inevitable tire change process recently because I realized how many kilometers I have on my wheels after not checking since I started riding.  Both the V8 and 18S are going to require a tire change before next spring and I'm mechanically inept and will find new ways to botch the procedure.  I haven't inspected the tires closely yet, but I suspect the 18S wheel will be the first to need changing.  

I know the gotchas well. For example, those microscopic arrows on the ks16s that show you exactly where to pry the cover loose.:wacko:

Big screen visual examples help immensely. I tore mine down for tire replacement while sitting on couch with wheel on footrest too.

LanghamP.  Where do you find ks16s replacement tire for 20 bucks.  Also your continental 700c tire is much thinner and lighter.  I get between 1200 and 2700 miles on a rear road bike tire depending on if it’s more geared towards light racing or longevity.

On 8/30/2018 at 6:11 PM, LanghamP said:

Contrary to my expectations, EUCs seem gentle on tires. I would have thought the combination of motorization and "willfully dumb" traction control would accelerate tire wear but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I recently replaced my Continentals in my bike after a mere 1600 miles. Since this is the exact same route I take on my EUC, we can directly compare those two technologies.

At the very least I estimate an EUC tire running cost to be twice as much as a bicycle, and possibly much more. However, a standard bicycle (which I do not own) can change tires in under five minutes.

A wheel is a pain; just clean the wheel, then carry it into the living room, place it on a table in front of your couch plus two beers, and then spend the next two hours changing that tire. Electric screwdriver is your friend.

You need to be in your living room because you can easily watch utube videos on how to change your wheel. Your smart phone's screen isn't big enough to clearly see details (you know, the gotchas).

Langham, where did you get the 20 dollar tire?  Inquiring minds want to know.  I need to buy a tire.  

10 minutes ago, Joker10 said:

Langham, where did you get the 20 dollar tire?  Inquiring minds want to know.  I need to buy a tire.  

I bought the stock Kenda off Amazon but I don't see them in stock anymore.

I'd suggest buying the Kenda 16 inch by 1.5 high pressure city tire instead but there seems to be many 16 by 1.75 tires.

The tire isn't the problem; the inner tube with the bent stem is. I ended up patching my old innertube (8 holes!). Incredibly, no leaks.

52 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Not 20 dollars.  Also should be able to get from Speedyfeetuk.  https://www.ewheels.com/product/king-song-16-kenda-tire/

Ah-ha !  You got me! You said Speedy feet then sent me to eWhhels. Did Jason put you up to that? Are you getting a cut? I see how you are. TRICKY bugger. ;)

Speedyfeet tires https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/pages/search-results?q=tire

On 8/30/2018 at 6:11 PM, LanghamP said:

Langham, patched eight holes wow.  I would replace that tube.  Thanks for the responses guys.  I will look at Ewheels website.

3 hours ago, Joker10 said:

Langham, patched eight holes wow.  I would replace that tube.  Thanks for the responses guys.  I will look at Ewheels website.

I patched it mostly for bragging rights yet it hasn't lost air. I'm surprised.

First of all, I think the 2.125 width is too wide because there's lots of unused tread on the edges despite occasionally touching down the footpads.

Second, at the full 60 psi the stock tire rubs against something.

I think the stock tire is too wide.

This was the only bent valve I could find on Amazon. I recommend not using the valve cap and making sure the valve point forward in the 6 o'clock position due to the ease of the wheel catching on an opposite pointing valve (very dangerous).

Tire & Inner Tube 16" X 2.125" / 54-305 fits Many Gas Electric Scooters e-Bike https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0768V8X3P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_deYKBbEH47YN2

Both my KS16 and MSuper have unbalanced wheel tire combo. Usually, I would just put taped weights but the friction of the wheel axle is too great to let the wheel settle via gravity.

I've wondered about using video while doing a lift test.

My MSuper is now so bad that speeds above 22 mph result in bad thumping.

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Both my KS16 and MSuper have unbalanced wheel tire combo. Usually, I would just put taped weights but the friction of the wheel axle is too great to let the wheel settle via gravity.

I've wondered about using video while doing a lift test.

My MSuper is now so bad that speeds above 22 mph result in bad thumping.

Have you tried this...

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Have you tried this...

Ugh ugh ugh, my tire has a bulge so this isn't a balance problem like I thought it was, and deflating and reinflsting doesn't get rid of its sidewall bulge.

I think this tire is toast. I don't know how it got this sidewall bulge.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Ugh ugh ugh, my tire has a bulge so this isn't a balance problem like I thought it was, and deflating and reinflsting doesn't get rid of its sidewall bulge.

I think this tire is toast. I don't know how it got this sidewall bulge.

Bugger!

Archived