THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

18 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I've ridden them both ways. The 1600Wh with the pad removed and protective padding installed is just as comfortable as my 820Wh, if not more comfortable. 

With the original pads installed, the 1600Wh is not nearly as comfortable to me. 

I think I will try that I have an 820 also and it feels very comfortable

5 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Looks good!  I would love to try the KingSong 18.  I hear it's very comfortable.  If they come out with a new version that addresses all the issues, I'd be a potential customer.  I hear there's one in the works.

What are "all the issues" that you're talking about?

Allen

4 hours ago, Clovis said:

@SuperSport and @KingSong69  all 3 wheels are beautiful.  @KingSong69 I think a black and white ACM 84 V would make a nice addition to your family of wheels.  May I ask what type of adhesive do you use to keep the bumper strips on without leaving a residue.  The tape which originally came with the bumper strips for my wheel always left a hard to remove sticky residue.

Have you tired using WD-40 to remove the sticky residue that's left behind from the adhesive strips?

Allen

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

What are "all the issues" that you're talking about?

I'll have to track down what I was reading, but it was a list of planned fixes in the next version of the 18" wheel.  Most notably was overheating.

37 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Have you tired using WD-40 to remove the sticky residue that's left behind from the adhesive strips?

WD-40 and a Magic Eraser does wonders.  But be careful as the Magic Eraser can leave micro scratches in the plastic finish if used too roughly.  Makes it look a bit hazy.

• Upvote 1

Isn't the KS18 design from late 2015? That would be stone age in EUC terms and while the wheel isn't suddenly bad and still looks great, people are justified in wanting a redesign/proper update. Higher and better pedals, maybe a bigger shell (funny how such a huge wheel has such a small battery compartment, you should be able to pack 3000Wh in there if you wanted so a more general purpose shell would be nice), and other niceties (stronger motor?).

One thing I've learned quickly offroad is that bigger tire = much easier to ride, so I'm interested in good, big tired models (not much competition there atm).

Edited by meepmeepmayer

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

I'll have to track down what I was reading, but it was a list of planned fixes in the next version of the 18" wheel.  Most notably was overheating.

No more overheating.  They've solved that problem in my KS18B.  I was on a group ride recently and my KS18B was one of the coolest riding.
(I believe that they have put a fan inside.  Also, the top plate is now slotted to help with the cooling and it easily replaced with a plate that isn't slotted in case you think that you may run into wet conditions.)

Allen

43 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Isn't the KS18 design from late 2015? That would be stone age in EUC terms and while the wheel isn't suddenly bad and still looks great, people are justified in wanting a redesign/proper update. Higher and better pedals, maybe a bigger shell (funny how such a huge wheel has such a small battery compartment, you should be able to pack 3000Wh in there if you wanted so a more general purpose shell would be nice), and other niceties (stronger motor?).

One thing I've learned quickly offroad is that bigger tire = much easier to ride, so I'm interested in good, big tired models (not much competition there atm).

The newest has a 1200w motor with 1680wh battery.
It has about 6" of pedal clearance.  How much more clearance do you want ?

Allen

Edited by abinder3
added content

10 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Yeah, when I get a chance, I'll find what I was reading. I thought heat was still an issue on the current latest version, but maybe that's dependent on where and how it's ridden. 

Nope.  The heat problem has been fixed with the most current version (which I have and I purchased it from @Jason McNeil @ewheels.com.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/king-song-18-840wh-1680wh-1200w-motor/

If you're ever down in the Los Angeles area, I'll let you ride it.

Allen

Edited by abinder3
added content
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Nope.  The heat problem has been fixed with the most current version (which I have and I purchased it from @Jason McNeil @ewheels.com.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/king-song-18-840wh-1680wh-1200w-motor/

If you're ever down in the Los Angeles area, I'll let you ride it.

I'm rarely down there, but if I am, I'll take you up on that. Very nice of you to offer. 

I'm beginning to think that the article I was reading was prior to the B version.  It appears the things I was concerned about have been addressed in the B according to your link at ewheels.

Is the vent and non vent something you change out before a ride, or do you simply slide something if you get caught in rain or water?  Occasionally, we get caught in it unexpectedly.

i especially appreciate how they limit the top speed below the possible speed. Something I've been saying GotWay should do.  I set my own wheel to tilt back at 18 mph just for this reason.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think this thread might explain what they did:

That is fantastic reading! Did @Jason McNeil perform any further 'Fire hose' tests? I like the downward oblique slots idea! 

Rain...puddles...downpours..ugh! .Has anyone heard of shelters?  Once I am done with the cooling mods I am buying a HUGE umbrella and attaching it my ACM!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, abinder3 said:

No more overheating.  They've solved that problem in my KS18B.  I was on a group ride recently and my KS18B was one of the coolest riding.
(I believe that they have put a fan inside.  Also, the top plate is now slotted to help with the cooling and it easily replaced with a plate that isn't slotted in case you think that you may run into wet conditions.)

Allen

The true test however is to ride to the top of the Griffith Park mountains when the temperature is in the 90's. That's when all the KingSong's have overheated but the Gotway's (ACM & MSuper) have not.

Hopefully your KS18B won't overheat, but I'm dubious of any wheel that requires a fan, when it comes to overheating. I have doubts with my Monster since it has two fans. The first weekend with 90 degree temperatures I will be testing the Monster at Griffith Park. I'll invite you along if you want to test your KS18B too.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The true test however is to ride to the top of the Griffith Park mountains when the temperature is in the 90's. That's when all the KingSong's have overheated but the Gotway's (ACM & MSuper) have not.

Hopefully your KS18B won't overheat, but I'm dubious of any wheel that requires a fan, when it comes to overheating. I have doubts with my Monster since it has two fans. The first weekend with 90 degree temperatures I will be testing the Monster at Griffith Park. I'll invite you along if you want to test your KS18B too.

Sounds like a plan.  I'll definitely have to bring sun block with me because I will look like a well cooked lobster without it.

(That first steep offroad hill we went up definitely had my fear on edge with all of those people going up it at the same time we were.  Maybe we could skip that hill ?)

Maybe we could go up a different way to the spot above the Hollywood sign.  That paved hill should definitely test them.
(If those stupid horses weren't anywhere around it would be very easy.)

Allen

Edited by abinder3
added content
  • Upvote 1

@abinder3 Sorry didn't want to talk down the wheel, never seen one in RL. If I bought a 18 inch wheel, I'd choose this over the msuper, so it's not like I think it is bad. The pedal thing is just what I have heard.

Also, is there an 18B? Does it not have a name like 18AY or something similar? I expected the rumored upcoming high capacity (2000Wh?) KS18 would be the 18B. Still hoping they use the huge size for lots of batteries with a more flexible shell (and a handle). I'd buy a KS20 or KS22 too.

@Marty Backe Does the KS actually overheat and the GW does not, or is it just the KS warns you and the GW does not even know there is a problem? What temperature is measured anyways?

Edited by meepmeepmayer

On 3/26/2017 at 9:26 AM, Marty Backe said:

@abinder3, I rode the Aliso Creek Trail yesterday. Very nice. I started about where you did, rode into the foothills and then towards the beach. Where the trail ends there is a park with a very nice road (closed to traffic) that goes for a few miles almost to the beach. My ride was 38 miles. Thanks again for pointing it out to me.

I'm attaching my Google Earth track of the ride: 20170325 - Aliso Creek.kmz

Did it end up being about a 3.5 to 4 hour ride for you ?
(Going south, it took me about 55 minutes because at one point I didn't know for sure where the path went to and I went left instead of right.  Ended up riding about 1.5 miles out of the way.  Needless to say, that 'detour' added about 3 miles to my ride south as I backtracked to get back to the path again.  Going back, it took about 47 minutes.)

Allen

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@abinder3 Sorry didn't want to talk down the wheel, never seen one in RL. If I bought a 18 inch wheel, I'd choose this over the msuper, so it's not like I think it is bad. The pedal thing is just what I have heard.

Also, is there an 18B? Does it not have a name like 18AY or something similar? I expected the rumored upcoming high capacity (2000Wh?) KS18 would be the 18B. Still hoping they use the huge size for lots of batteries with a more flexible shell (and a handle). I'd buy a KS20 or KS22 too.

No problems; didn't take it personal.

It's usually refered to as "KS18B" but if you look in the app it states (at least mine does) "KS18AY" like you stated.

I can only guess what 'number' KingSong will give the next version of the KS18.

I don't really see any reason to have a version of my 1200w with a 2000wh battery.  I should be able to easily go 50 miles on my 1650 wh battery (and I weigh 192 lbs). It weighs about 50 lbs now as it is.  Now if they decide to go with a 22" wheel, then yes, I can see having a larger battery.  But to ride continuously for about 4 hours is probably more than enough for almost everyone.

If I remember the video from Speedyfeet, at his weight of about 200lbs, on the Monster (I believe that he was using the largest battery) he figured that he will get about 60 miles before it tilts back so far that he can't ride it anymore.  (I think that it was also pretty cool out when he was riding so that may of decreased his range as well.)

Allen

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

<snip>

I don't really see any reason to have a version of my 1200w with a 2000wh battery.

<snip>

Really Allen? Don't you know that you can never have too much battery capacity ;)

My Monster has a realistic 25mph cruising range of 70 miles. I wish it had more.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Really Allen? Don't you know that you can never have too much battery capacity ;)

My Monster has a realistic 25mph cruising range of 70 miles. I wish it had more.

:roflmao:

But you don't weigh 200lbs either.

Edited by abinder3
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Did it end up being about a 3.5 to 4 hour ride for you ?
(Going south, it took me about 55 minutes because at one point I didn't know for sure where the path went to and I went left instead of right.  Ended up riding about 1.5 miles out of the way.  Needless to say, that 'detour' added about 3 miles to my ride south as I backtracked to get back to the path again.  Going back, it took about 47 minutes.)

Allen

It was a ~2-1/2 hour ride. I like to ride fast when possible :shock2:

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

<snip>

@Marty Backe Does the KS actually overheat and the GW does not, or is it just the KS warns you and the GW does not even know there is a problem? What temperature is measured anyways?

The KS14C and KS18 (older model) overheat and shutdown at 69c (I think that's the temperature). The ACM and MSuper (not sure about the Monster) shutdown at 79c. @jrkline confirmed this a few weeks ago when he was pushing his ACM in the mountains. I've never had any of my Gotway wheels get that hot even when pushing up hills in the 90's.

The general consensus is that with the addition of 6 more mosfets the Gotway wheels run much cooler (which I can attest to) than the KingSong's (which still use 6 mosfets).

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Sounds like a plan.  I'll definitely have to bring sun block with me because I will look like a well cooked lobster without it.

(That first steep offroad hill we went up definitely had my fear on edge with all of those people going up it at the same time we were.  Maybe we could skip that hill ?)

Maybe we could go up a different way to the spot above the Hollywood sign.  That paved hill should definitely test them.
(If those stupid horses weren't anywhere around it would be very easy.)

Allen

Yeah, we can always go up the main road (what you and @jrkline took initially). Riding all the way to the peak and then going up to the water tank will overheat the wheel if it's going to overheat.

Unfortunately there is no other way to the Hollywood sign. I'll still go there but at any sign of horses I'll just turn off the wheel and 'hide' it until they pass. Nobody will be the wiser <_<

And on the way to the Hollywood Sign we can also take a nice detour down to the Bronson Caves, where the 60's Batman TV show cave exit was shot (where the batmobile is filmed exiting the cave). It's a cool ride and fun item to see.

• Upvote 1