THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

4 hours ago, abinder3 said:

No more overheating.  They've solved that problem in my KS18B.  I was on a group ride recently and my KS18B was one of the coolest riding.
(I believe that they have put a fan inside.  Also, the top plate is now slotted to help with the cooling and it easily replaced with a plate that isn't slotted in case you think that you may run into wet conditions.)

Allen

When I was at the King Song facilty last October,they were still testing the new 18b prototype.So when I arrived they decided to utilize my IN-N-OUT laden 200lbs to test it on some hills behind there facilty to see if it would overheat.The hills where similiar to Griffith Park but also steeper in some areas and I could not overheat it.The ride to the watertank at G.P. shouldn't be a problem for your 18b.The real test should be @Marty Backe's monster.It wouldn't have 2 fans unless they figure a possible overheat condition.

2 hours ago, abinder3 said:

(That first steep offroad hill we went up definitely had my fear on edge with all of those people going up it at the same time we were.  Maybe we could skip that hill ?)

How could you possibly have fear knowing I was covering your six?:D

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Shabba said:

Do you like it better without the factory leg pads on the side and just the protective padding?

Absolutely!

with original padding I found it a bit to wide...but you can get used to that also...

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Also, is there an 18B? Does it not have a name like 18AY or something similar? I expected the rumored upcoming high capacity (2000Wh?) KS18 would be the 18B. Still hoping they use the huge size for lots of batteries with a more flexible shell (and a handle). I'd buy a KS20 or KS22 too.

18AY is the correct name...some call it 18B...its on the market for about 4 months has upgraded/newer board/motor/thicker mosfets/wires etc....

the totally brand new(not 18AY) mid year 2017:

It is rumoured to have a 2000Watt motor instead of a 1200Watt motor...

max watthour wh will with 1680wh probably stay the same if they do not change to 84 Volt...

there is no much more room inside for more batteries, perhaps just 200-400wh more but only when packing abstruse packs....

Only thing which is confirmed until now:

Same shell with some improvements, but no complete redesign...

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, abinder3 said:

No more overheating.  They've solved that problem in my KS18B.  I was on a group ride recently and my KS18B was one of the coolest riding.
(I believe that they have put a fan inside.  Also, the top plate is now slotted to help with the cooling and it easily replaced with a plate that isn't slotted in case you think that you may run into wet conditions.)

Allen

Here is the video of me testing the new KS-18B during my Oct'16 visit to Shenzhen.Could not get ti to overheat.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jrkline said:

This is a short video I shot during my Oct'16 visit to the King Song facilty in Shenzhen.So if anybody ever wondered if our beloved @tinawongrides the product she peddles,Here ya go!:D          

Glad you finally posted all your videos - cool :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, we can always go up the main road (what you and @jrkline took initially). Riding all the way to the peak and then going up to the water tank will overheat the wheel if it's going to overheat.

Unfortunately there is no other way to the Hollywood sign. I'll still go there but at any sign of horses I'll just turn off the wheel and 'hide' it until they pass. Nobody will be the wiser <_<

And on the way to the Hollywood Sign we can also take a nice detour down to the Bronson Caves, where the 60's Batman TV show cave exit was shot (where the batmobile is filmed exiting the cave). It's a cool ride and fun item to see.

Sounds good !

Allen

9 hours ago, jrkline said:

When I was at the King Song facilty last October,they were still testing the new 18b prototype.So when I arrived they decided to utilize my IN-N-OUT laden 200lbs to test it on some hills behind there facilty to see if it would overheat.The hills where similiar to Griffith Park but also steeper in some areas and I could not overheat it.The ride to the watertank at G.P. shouldn't be a problem for your 18b.The real test should be @Marty Backe's monster.It wouldn't have 2 fans unless they figure a possible overheat condition.

How could you possibly have fear knowing I was covering your six?:D

:roflmao:

And I appreciate that also !!

Allen

Edited by abinder3
  • Upvote 1

So @jrkline, looking back, do you think it would have climbed that dirt hill if you had another go at it?  I know that first time up something like that on someone else's wheel is harder than if you've had some time under your belt on your own wheel.

As someone that does steep hills regularly, and sometimes while filming them, I can confidently say that those hills were indeed very steep.  Video never shows how steep a hill actually is.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jrkline said:

Here is the video of me testing the new KS-18B during my Oct'16 visit to Shenzhen.Could not get ti to overheat.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Yea. That looks like you gave the design of my KS18 a good test. 

Nice to see Tina riding also. 

Allen

Edited by abinder3
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jrkline said:

This is a short video I shot during my Oct'16 visit to the King Song facilty in Shenzhen.So if anybody ever wondered if our beloved @tinawongrides the product she peddles,Here ya go!:D          

Nice to see Tina riding. 

At first I thought that she was holding his hand because they are boyfriend/girlfriend. Then I realized that she was using him as something to hold onto because she wasn't too sure of her riding.  She seems like a really nice person. 

Allen

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, abinder3 said:

I don't really see any reason to have a version of my 1200w with a 2000wh battery.  I should be able to easily go 50 miles on my 1650 wh battery (and I weigh 192 lbs). It weighs about 50 lbs now as it is.  Now if they decide to go with a 22" wheel, then yes, I can see having a larger battery.  But to ride continuously for about 4 hours is probably more than enough for almost everyone.

Last weekend I rode between 50-60 miles in 32F -57F degree weather.  The cold shortens the battery life greatly, so I had to charge half way through.  The weekend before, we rode 76.4 miles.  Personally, I'd love to have a 2400Wh battery if I could still lift the wheel.  I don't lift it often if I can help it as I bought it to carry me and not the other way around... ;)   Having the larger battery would allow me to leave the charger at home and not carry that extra weight on my back.

16 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

She seems like a really nice person. 

TRANSLATION:  Super Cute! :dribble:

Edited by SuperSport
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jrkline said:

Yes,without a doubt.Here is another video that better illustrates the 18B's hill climbing ability.

That's the video I was referring to.  Where you turned around on the dirt part, do you think the wheel would do that if you tried again?

56 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

The less than ideal solution was to provide two covers slots in boxes: a perforated one with the fan & a solid one for inclement weather. My concern with the original design is that although they a mesh which is supposed to keep the water out, the fan is sucking air directly down on the board, seems inevitable that if a puddle develops a top the cover, it will be sucked down onto the board. 

I totally agree.  They should use Heat Pipes to pull the heat off the Heat Syncs onto another set of Heat Syncs outside the housing.  Even if that was under a mesh like it is now, but separated from the motherboard and water sealed along the way.  Also, would not need fans that can fail or draw power from the main system.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

That's the video I was referring to.  Where you turned around on the dirt part, do you think the wheel would do that if you tried again?

Yes.At the point where I stopped,the wheel simply didn't have the any more power.The only way I could redo it and make it past that point would be to have more speed getting to that point.If the ground wasn't so muddy,I would've made it without a doubt.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jrkline said:

Yes.At the point where I stopped,the wheel simply didn't have the any more power.The only way I could redo it and make it past that point would be to have more speed getting to that point.If the ground wasn't so muddy,I would've made it without a doubt.

That's impressive!  I think my MSuper might make it too, but you have to lean so far forward you feel like you are falling off the pedals.  Especially when you only weigh 150 lbs like I do. :o

• Upvote 1