My first ride to work!

kasenutty

I've been capable of riding all the way to work for a while, but have had some kind of mental block about it. Every time I'm about to ride the damn wheel to work, I'll have some anxiety over it and not do it. I've ridden there on days off a few times no problem, but I just can't bring myself to do it in the morning before an actual work day. I always worry that maybe I'll need my car later, or maybe I'm too tired, or whatever. But today I just threw some stuff in my backpack and took off. It was just fine, I cruised all the way in with no problems. It's about 7-8 miles each way so it took about a half hour with lights etc. 

I even got the same feeling I do in my car, I arrived at work and barely recalled my journey. My new 16s did great and I rolled over the 100 km mark on the odometer on the way. With some of the first decent weather of the season here in WA, the ride home should be fantastic with weather in the 70's. 

The worst part about my ride in was watery eyes. 

Nice! Yeah, a 7-8 mile ride makes the hesitation understandable. But it is a mental barrier. I felt the same way about my 2 mi ride. 

Doing test rides is a good way to gauge trips too. 

If you are in a cool / windy environment, a helmet with a visor works great at keeping your eyes dry. I got mine for ~$35 off Amazon, has a magnetic detachable visor. 

Hi kasenutty,

I too have a 7 mile commute to work. I ride along a canal trail and get to see wildlife, a stream, and get to skip the traffic. It's great! I recommend you wear sunglasses, or if it's too dark when you ride, at least wear clear safety glasses. You don't want bugs in your eyeballs at the speeds we can ride. I have a cheap ($10) pair of glasses I bought from Amazon that has 5 interchangeable lenses, so I can put in whichever makes sense for the ride. 

https://www.amazon.com/RIVBOS-Polarized-Sunglasses-Interchangeable-RB0839/dp/B01AUAN1V4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524586735&sr=8-4&keywords=glasses+interchangeable

IMG_3926.JPG

41 minutes ago, Wild Child said:

Hi kasenutty,

I too have a 7 mile commute to work. I ride along a canal trail and get to see wildlife, a stream, and get to skip the traffic. It's great! I recommend you wear sunglasses, or if it's too dark when you ride, at least wear clear safety glasses. You don't want bugs in your eyeballs at the speeds we can ride. I have a cheap ($10) pair of glasses I bought from Amazon that has 5 interchangeable lenses, so I can put in whichever makes sense for the ride. 

https://www.amazon.com/RIVBOS-Polarized-Sunglasses-Interchangeable-RB0839/dp/B01AUAN1V4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524586735&sr=8-4&keywords=glasses+interchangeable

IMG_3926.JPG

Wow, my ride is not nearly as beautiful as yours. There aren't any good bike paths to my work, so it's all streets and sidewalks, but it was fun to get creative here and there. I had a blast and am looking forward to the ride home. 

2 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Congrats man on popping your ride to work cherry!  :thumbup:  No shame in crying a tear or two or three or four over that wonderful sense of achievement.  I kinda tear up myself every time I'm able to make it home safely after riding my wheel!  We're just human.  Let's own that.  Yes we have feelings.  

As men there's that stigma that we're supposed to be rocks!  Yet we have these feelings deep inside that yearn to be let out, and sometimes a good cry is so cathartic, you know.  Sniiff..  :cry2:  I'm tearing up a little even now just hearing that you're able to share these sensitive feelings with us.  I love you, man.  :crying:

8 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I've been capable of riding all the way to work for a while, but have had some kind of mental block about it. Every time I'm about to ride the damn wheel to work, I'll have some anxiety over it and not do it. I've ridden there on days off a few times no problem, but I just can't bring myself to do it in the morning before an actual work day. I always worry that maybe I'll need my car later, or maybe I'm too tired, or whatever. But today I just threw some stuff in my backpack and took off. It was just fine, I cruised all the way in with no problems. It's about 7-8 miles each way so it took about a half hour with lights etc. 

I even got the same feeling I do in my car, I arrived at work and barely recalled my journey. My new 16s did great and I rolled over the 100 km mark on the odometer on the way. With some of the first decent weather of the season here in WA, the ride home should be fantastic with weather in the 70's. 

Congrats are in place. :cheers::clap3:

As my signature state I got my wheel not that long ago. I did my first ride to work on the 17th April 2018, 1.8km to work and back home again in the late afternoon.

I could barely walk afterwards for 2 days and having issues with going down the stairs. My goal was to do this no later than late May. So partly a success despite the pains from overloading my fragile feet, knees and lower back (arthritis/psoriasis and osteoarthritis).

This is why, I struggle to gain control over the wheel and balance. I have found it quiet fun to learn a new skill and the pains and gains I feel each time I climb up on the wheel with a new challenge/training goal.  

9 hours ago, kasenutty said:

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

As men there's that stigma that we're supposed to be rocks!  Yet we have these feelings deep inside that yearn to be let out, and sometimes a good cry is so cathartic, you know.  Sniiff..  :cry2:  I'm tearing up a little even now just hearing that you're able to share these sensitive feelings with us.  I love you,

Careful @kasenutty Hunka also spoke his inner feelings to @Marty Backe not to long ago. 

?

@kasenutty Nice!

Brings back memories of my first EUC commute via NB1E+ into work, being super self-conscious that everyone was staring at noob circus show!

Soon, people on your route too will probably start to recognize you, even though you have no clue who THey are, as I've encountered in my neighborhood commute EUC-ing (soooo creepy, esp when they Instagram you without your knowledge, *see below*)

4 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I had more fun with an actual destination to aim for. It felt productive.

Totally agree.

I'm way more inclined to ride if I have a purpose / destination.

Have no clue who this guy is who captured me on IG (nor did I realize at the time):

14 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I bought some Uvex Vario Sunglasses. They are fantastic. With the reactive lenses they can be worn any time.

You've reminded me of my first public rides and in particular commute to work. I was very conscious that people were looking at me on this strange unknown device but very quickly I got used to it, lapped up the attention (mostly good) and got used to the EUC as my primary mode of transport. :) 

42 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@kasenutty Nice!

Brings back memories of my first EUC commute via NB1E+ into work, being super self-conscious that everyone was staring at noob circus show!

Soon, people on your route too will probably start to recognize you, even though you have no clue who THey are, as I've encountered in my neighborhood commute EUC-ing (soooo creepy, esp when they Instagram you without your knowledge, *see below*)

Totally agree.

I'm way more inclined to ride if I have a purpose / destination.

Have no clue who this guy is who captured me on IG (nor did I realize at the time):

is this an actually photo?

then its time to update your signature....doesnt look like RIP?

And hey, you got rid of your Monster? Thought it was your prefered seating model?

20 minutes ago, US69 said:

then its time to update your signature....doesnt look like RIP?

No, no, this was taken back when my GT16 was still alive ?

It kicked the bucket last fall, very much still ☠️

20 minutes ago, US69 said:

And hey, you got rid of your Monster? Thought it was your prefered seating model?

Ha!, I always prefer the next upgrade wheel better!

Still love the Monster series!, but I try to sell ahead of the market shift, because wheels depreciate so quickly (faster than cars or electronics I think).

My target was the rumored "20-inch" Gotway (so I could sit on it), but it looks like that was just this 19" MSuperX, which doesn't really tickle my fancy enough to pull that trigger.

So, while I await the KS18L + Z10, I've been lusting from afar at that 100V Monster, but talking myself out of it, until someone can confirm it doesn't do the warped shim issue after 6+ months of use... also tried Tishawne's new 100V, and seems to still have the Gotway pedal dip too, which I really wish they'd finally solve *smh.

For now, my daily driver has been the KS18S, and I've fallen back in love with it!

Seated riding on it took a little getting used to, but now I'm as natural seated on the KS18S as I was on the Monster, just a shorter plank to slide my bum on! (and no Gotway pedal dip, so I can really push and accelerate out of turns!)

14 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

while I await the KS18L + Z10, I've been lusting from afar at that 100V Monster, but talking myself out of it, until someone can confirm it doesn't do the warped shim issue after 6+ months of use... also tried Tishawne's new 100V, and seems to still have the Gotway pedal dip too, which I really wish they'd finally solve *smh.

pedal dip you mean in curves? that seams to be really a thing depending from machine to machine....i have the 18S and a Monster, too.

and while i fearing any of these probs when buying it...i am very happy with it, as it doesnt dip at all

can you please give me your take how much more powerfull the 100v is compared to a 84v monster?

is it the same jump that the Tesla brought? (,which i found real stunning!)

what i really dont like on the monster is its sluggish behaviour on standstill acceleration....once it runs i am happy with it.

also braking is quite weak in my opinion. so hows the 100v on that?

54 minutes ago, US69 said:

pedal dip you mean in curves? that seams to be really a thing depending from machine to machine....i have the 18S and a Monster, too.

and while i fearing any of these probs when buying it...i am very happy with it, as it doesnt dip at all

Hmmm.. interesting.... you're not the first Gotway rider/owner to mention this to me, but I've basically experienced pedal dip (on sharp turns mind you) on every Gotway I've gotten my feet on (which is about the whole current line).

Also might be my riding style, as I like to get my wheels as close to parallel with the road when turning (read: pedal scrape), then push it and lean-accelerate out of the turn. The Gotways I've been on, the pedals dip and I basically have to slow down when turning, and try to jerk the pedals parallel again.

can you please give me your take how much more powerfull the 100v is compared to a 84v monster?

is it the same jump that the Tesla brought? (,which i found real stunning!)

also braking is quite weak in my opinion. so hows the 100v on that?

I can't talk too intelligibly on it, as I only got on for a minute or so, just riding slowly on the sidewalk. Next time I'm on a ride with Tishawn, gotta try a proper ride on it.

What I can say is, when we were on the eboard group ride post NYC V10F demo ride, I was ahead waiting for the group to catch up (from chit-chat, etc.) I've never seen anyone accelerate so fast on an EUC as I did Tishawn on his 100V Monster.

what i really dont like on the monster is its sluggish behaviour on standstill acceleration....once it runs i am happy with it.

If you're talking about just riding standing, then yes I agree.

But if you count seated acceleration, I can't disagree more. My Monster flew from a stand[sit]still acceleration; I always plopped right down into the seated position when accelerating from 0 because of this, especially on hills.

Now, I do the same exact thing on my KS18S; it's like a turbo boost. I could never accelerate as fast while standing.

So you even experienced pedal dip on a Tesla? That surprises me as I never experienced it on that model at all, only on the KS18a & M super V3s+ I previously had would I experience the pedal dip.

My 100v Monster should be arriving hopefully beginning of May, I really hope there is no dip in the pedal when I make a sharp turn. This will be my 1st Monster.

58 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

but I've basically experienced pedal dip (on sharp turns mind you) on every Gotway I've gotten my feet on (which is about the whole current line).

I definitly know what you mean...but i dont experience this on my Monster and also didnt on my Tesla.

On my V3 and ACM it was horrible and only calibrating the hell out of it, got it down to status to live with it.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

If you're talking about just riding standing, then yes I agree.

But if you count seated acceleration, I can't disagree more. My Monster flew from a stand[sit]still acceleration; I always plopped right down into the seated position when accelerating from 0 because of this, especially on hills.

Now, I do the same exact thing on my KS18S; it's like a turbo boost. I could never accelerate as fast while standing.

Yip, your seat riding technique is impressive. While on my Monster and KS18 i always ride seated as most as possible, and know the better acceleration curve, until today i didnt try that from complete standstill. Need some more works on my seating skills on the wheel, so.

Next wheel for me will be Msuper X or Monster 100V.....if the new boards dont have any bad surprise....or: Next month i will hopefully try the 18L on my holidays, lets see what thats like :-)

8 hours ago, US69 said:

I definitly know what you mean...but i dont experience this on my Monster and also didnt on my Tesla.

Lucky!

8 hours ago, US69 said:

Yip, your seat riding technique is impressive. While on my Monster and KS18 i always ride seated as most as possible, and know the better acceleration curve, until today i didnt try that from complete standstill. Need some more works on my seating skills on the wheel, so.

Thanks! ?

TBF, it's more like I push off standing first, then immediately sit down.

8 hours ago, US69 said:

Next wheel for me will be Msuper X or Monster 100V.....if the new boards dont have any bad surprise....or: Next month i will hopefully try the 18L on my holidays, lets see what thats like ?

All very tempting wheels indeed! Also really interested in what a KS with 84V will feel like, doesn't seem like the same amount of people are hyped for this as for the other new manufacturer wheels *smh

4 hours ago, Cannings said:

Do we think the seat will work with the Msuper X? I'm quite tempted to get a wheel I can sit on as an alternative to the tesla

I can't imagine why not, as the MSuperV3, despite being pretty short, has an optional seat, and the MSuperX, being a bigger 19" tire, should be taller than the MSuperV3.

congrats on the commute!  i alternate bike and 18s on my 20 mile round trip.  rarely drive the car.  it is the best.  good outside time in the mornings and seriously sweet after work rides.  i stop at a coffee shop about a mile from my office and chill for a cup of coffee.  this gives me a little buffer instead of rolling in hot to the workplace.

Archived