Max Weight Limit

Slartibartfast

Omg yes that was the thread! Quite a walk down memory lane.  Wow , you do have powers! And apparently all my files too! Looks like on page 2 of that thread I outlined the main principles of the “ naturally slim” program.   I recommend it to everyone, it really is a great program guys

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheesh, and all I wanted was to know the weight limits of various wheels.

I have to say this is a surprisingly active and bustling community you have going here.

Thanks for all the info guys, but I'm thinking I'll keep my belly as it is and opt for the KS16s for now. Cheers for your thoughts though ??.

... Now to work out how to get my hands on one of those KS16s' down here in Australia. ??

I just walked 4 miles on the treadmill. First time walking that far in 10 years? This thread must have subconsciously motivated me. 

Bread before bed is great, as part of an active lifestyle. 

Any diet plan that doesn't include the words 'as part of an active lifestyle' is a diet plan for being unhealthy.

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Sheesh, and all I wanted was to know the weight limits of various wheels.

I have to say this is a surprisingly active and bustling community you have going here.

Thanks for all the info guys, but I'm thinking I'll keep my belly as it is and opt for the KS16s for now. Cheers for your thoughts though ??.

... Now to work out how to get my hands on one of those KS16s' down here in Australia. ??

Slarti, keep in mind that the recommended rider weight for the KS16s is only 250 lbs/113 kg, and you're 286 lbs/130 kg.

I think it would be a rookie move to buy a wheel with a suggested rider weight 36 lbs/16 kg below your weight. 

KS16S is a great wheel, but not for you. It's 1200 watt motor isn't enough. You need to think really hard about the 1500 watt and 2000 watt wheels that can carry you more comfortably, with higher performance, with better longevity, and as a better investment of your pretty big investment.

Tesla, ACM, MSuper, KS18L, KS18S, V10, Monster, I'd say any of those would be a much better investment.

Going with a wheel you won't break also means you'll actually be able to re-sell it at a later date when you fall in love with some new wheel in 2020.

My advice is take one with low pedal height, probably ks, never inmotion. They are balancing issues involved but most important is how easy you can get up and down from it, and trust me, you gonna do a lot of exercise doing that.

The second aspect is the handle, I improve a lot the range walking up the hills. They are more comfortable when you come fresh and you have the euc for help when is necessary. A ergonomic handle is mandatory fot that.

Hope you find what you need. If is the euc I sure you gona be really happy but keep in mind all of us had fallen at least one time, be careful with the speed

14 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

keep in mind that the recommended rider weight

I am well over the recommended rider weight for the 14D (but not the 14S which has the same power output). The recommendations referenced were made by @Jason McNeil , but he didn't push the 'S' much (even though we met in person). Still, I wish I had made it clear that I was amenable to the upgrade... (Missed opportunity.) <_<

There is a greater risk of encountering a power spike that the lighter batteries can't handle.

As a result I try to:

1. Ride more conservatively
  2. Keep charge above 50%
  3. Lose some weight...

I've done pretty well with the first two, but the last part is coming along slowly... (I'm not a big dieter.) :huh:

In the final analysis, this isn't a sport/hobby for the masses (or massive). EUC's are designed for average, yet unconventional people... (i.e. quirky but ave. size).

1 hour ago, RayRay said:

1. Lose some weight...

Slarti has made clear he has no plans on losing weight. I believe this hobby can be for the massive these days, but they just have to be a lot smarter even as newcomers about choosing their wheel. 

I lost almost 30 pounds just riding my wheel, but as a newcomer these 'lose weight' tips were off-putting. It made me think at 240 lbs that I shouldn't consider this sport, but I definitely should have, and am glad I did. 

8 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

Slarti has made clear he has no plans on losing weight. I believe this hobby can be for the massive these days, but they just have to be a lot smarter even as newcomers about choosing their wheel. 

They have to be a lot smarter ESPECIALLY as newcomers...

53 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I lost almost 30 pounds just riding my wheel, but as a newcomer these 'lose weight' tips were off-putting. It made me think at 240 lbs that I shouldn't consider this sport, but I definitely should have, and am glad I did. 

Good thing you didn't start with a Ninebot One S1, or the wheel would have broke before you lost the weight.

I don't want Slarti's only exercise experience with an EUC to be bitterly carrying a broken KS-16S home because it fried out going up a small hill.

39 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

I don't want Slarti's only exercise experience with an EUC to be bitterly carrying a broken KS-16S home because it fried out going up a small hill.

I don't think that could happen. At worst, it will overheat and beep. If anything. Exactly as it should be.

16S is the best 16 inch choice here imho.

I weigh ~ 245 with riding gear and backpack and ride a Ninebot One E+ with no hint that it is straining. I have taken some short steep climbs but no long protracted climbs. I think I would have problems on such hills. The main problem my weight affords is reduced range. I will be trying a 8.5 mile ride tomorrow over mostly flat terrain and I doubt I will make it on the wheel.:cry2: Given how easy the E+ handles my weight I can't imagine having problems with a KS16S or any Gotway 16" wheel. Obviously the 18" wheels handle the weight with less reduction of range. 

46 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't think that could happen. At worst, it will overheat and beep. If anything. Exactly as it should be.

16S is the best 16 inch choice here imho.

For a 285 lb guy? The best wheel? Better than a 2000 watt Tesla or ACM or MSuper?

I hope you're not factoring in presumed weight loss, as he has no such plans

23 minutes ago, Jerome said:

I weigh ~ 245 with riding gear and backpack and ride a Ninebot One E+ with no hint that it is straining. I have taken some short steep climbs but no long protracted climbs. I think I would have problems on such hills. The main problem my weight affords is reduced range. I will be trying a 8.5 mile ride tomorrow over mostly flat terrain and I doubt I will make it on the wheel.:cry2: Given how easy the E+ handles my weight I can't imagine having problems with a KS16S or any Gotway 16" wheel. Obviously the 18" wheels handle the weight with less reduction of range. 

Interesting, but Slarti will weigh 295-300 with backpack and riding gear, or 50-55 lbs more than your riding weight. Maybe he'll be just fine with the KS-16S, but there are a variety of seemingly superior wheels right now for a guy his size. KS-18L included.

54 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

For a 285 lb guy? The best wheel? Better than a 2000 watt Tesla or ACM or MSuper?

I hope you're not factoring in presumed weight loss, as he has no such plans

Not sure if it's (still) justified, but if I imagine a heavy guy going up a constant incline (which is the biggest stress situation), I'd trust KS electronics over GWs.

44 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not sure if it's (still) justified, but if I imagine a heavy guy going up a constant incline (which is the biggest stress situation), I'd trust KS electronics over GWs.

No Hills! (Does Canberra have hills?)

There are no hills in Florida, which is why I can get away with the 800W KS14D... (Started with a 14C and was sure I'd crack the axle at any given moment.) :o

From Wikipedia:

Canberra or Nganbra means "woman's breasts" and is the indigenous name for the two mountains, Black Mountain and Mount Ainslie, which lie almost opposite each other.

Sooo, if your gonna go for the gusto and climb the 'woman's breasts', better buy the big wheel! (You're gonna need all the power you can get.) ;)

On 09/04/2018 at 9:26 PM, Scouts Honor said:

Keep in mind that recommended rider weight is a better number than max rider weight. 

1: King Song KS18S

1a? Gotway Monster ?

3 Gotway MSuper 3

4 Gotway Tesla

4a? Gotway ACM2?

Keep in mind this chart might be outdated a bit, and new wheels like the Kingsong KS18L probably has a nice number too

The numbers were derived from manufacturer spec, reported failures for the model, estimated pedal mounting loads. With the latest GWs, I would probably rank the 2000W MSuper & ACMv2 above the KS18S now. Reluctant to put the Monster on top of the pecking order because of the shim wearing issue. Since the change of MOFSETs, all the most recent Boards in the Gotways have been substantially up-rated. Don't believe there's been a single reported failure on a new ACMv2 board yet? 

Inmotion have a weight limit on the V10F of 260lb, but looking at those gloriously large pedals, & all the other high power equipment in there, surely it could support a 300lb Rider?

Thing about weight & performance, which may seem obvious to forum readers, is that the performance figures & weight are NOT ANDed; you cannot have a 290lb Rider, using the Wheel at max speed, going up the steepest incline... I have a self-appointed task to create a diagram that will try to show the weight limit danger points of the different model Wheels, simply as a guide so that new Riders will have a better perspective of this point. 

17 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

The numbers were derived from manufacturer spec, reported failures for the model, estimated pedal mounting loads. With the latest GWs, I would probably rank the 2000W MSuper & ACMv2 above the KS18S now. Reluctant to put the Monster on top of the pecking order because of the shim wearing issue. Since the change of MOFSETs, all the most recent Boards in the Gotways have been substantially up-rated. Don't believe there's been a single reported failure on a new ACMv2 board yet? 

Inmotion have a weight limit on the V10F of 260lb, but looking at those gloriously large pedals, & all the other high power equipment in there, surely it could support a 300lb Rider?

Thing about weight & performance, which may seem obvious to forum readers, is that the performance figures & weight are NOT ANDed; you cannot have a 290lb Rider, using the Wheel at max speed, going up the steepest incline... I have a self-appointed task to create a diagram that will try to show the weight limit danger points of the different model Wheels, simply as a guide so that new Riders will have a better perspective of this point. 

Jason, would you recommend a KS-16S to Slartibartfast at 285 lbs? Or would you recommend one of MSuper/ACM2, or something else?

The V10F and KS-18L also have very high pedal height, which is another reason a 285-300 lb rider might look elsewhere. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, especially from heights (6.6"ish pedal height)

3 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

would you recommend a KS-16S to Slartibartfast at 285 lbs? Or would you recommend one of MSuper/ACM2, or something else?

Until last week, I would, but I've received the first reported case of a 250lb Rider cut-out at max speed. Until KS release the 18L, there's no denying the dominance of GW in the high power class across the ACMv2 & MSuper.

One feature request is to have apps ask users their weight so wheel alarms can be set accordingly.  Or maybe have smarter firmware that have weight to current draw profiles so the wheel can compute the payload weight automatically in conjunction with accelerometer data over flat roads, uphill climbs and off-roading.  Tiltback and alarms can be adjusted in relation to battery reserves and rider weight.

If I'm blindfolded and tasked to carry a random weight in a wheelbarrow, I can likely tell the weight as I'm pushing the wheelbarrow.  With a lighter load I would be able to run with it faster up to my top speed, but with a heavy weight I would complain earlier before hitting it rather than trying to and falling flat on my face.

On 4/13/2018 at 4:50 PM, Scouts Honor said:

Good thing you didn't start with a Ninebot One S1, or the wheel would have broke before you lost the weight.

Not true. I own the S1.  It’s max weight is 220. At the time I bought it, I was 280. 

I put 350 miles on that wheel, doing pendulums and every other standard move.  The wheel never broke, never shut down, never failed. I still have it, it’s a great wheel, it has just been superseded by my KS18S.  I much prefer 25 mph to 12. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thank you all for your input.

To update you all, as it is I did end up ordering a KS16s, and I have to say I... FREAKING LOVE THIS THING!!!!

I've had it for a little over a week and since I got it have ridden it every single day.

Winter is coming on here in Canberra which not only brings the cold but also the shorter days, and given I work till 6:30-7:00pm most days it means thus far most of my riding has been in the dark. It took me 2 nights of practice to get the hang of things (probably about 3 hours of practice each night). I started of practicing on a tennis court at the local school yard which turned out to be a really good place to train. I would hold onto the net and gently guide my self along until I reach the end, then holding onto the post at the end carefully wheel about then poke along back the other way. I did this all night the first night and ended up covering a remarkable 5km just from one side of the court and back again, over and over. The second night I was able to travel around the court itself a little then ventured out into the car park and went for some longer stretches. By the end of the second night I was able to roll out of the car park and follow the footpath (sidewalk) along the side of the road to the end of the street and down into a separate little car park of a local church. It was quite a thrill to actually "travel" on the wheel between the two car parks, then come back again. Since then I have been going at it non-stop, and have now racked up a total of 153km (95 miles). I'm sure 150 km in the first week probably isn't that impressive to many of you veterans but bear in mind I'm a middle aged, overweight office worker who considers playing computer games with the window open an adventure!

At first I found the wheel extremely tiring on my feet and calves and couldn't manage to ride anymore than just a few minutes before needing to step off to relieve by feet. Since then though I found placing my feet such that my toes extend quite a distance over the front of the peddles helps alleviate the strain considerably. My feet definitely feel a lot further forwards than it seems would be right but it is significantly more comfortable and the wheel rides perfectly well like this, so that's how I now ride. The other thing that has greatly increased my comfort in riding has been to increase the "kickback" limit to 35km/h and set double beeps at 20 km/h and tipple beeps at 30. With these settings I find I can tootle along quite happily at 25/30 km/h and the fact that the peddles don't keep pushing up into my feet really relieves my calf mussels a lot.

So all in all the wheel is everything I had hoped it would be and I am extremely happy with the purchase.

All the best,
And many thanks,
Slarti.

Archived