Problem with Brand New KS14s

Barrett Roberts

I have commented several times on my issues with the KingSong app and have stopped attempting to troubleshoot.  My last effort was at BestBuy yesterday using the latest Samsung phone - loaded app and ran through trying to register.  Guy working there was standing there watching some guy roll up on a euc, grab a demo phone, load app from china, connect it to the euc and start punching email addresses and phone numbers in.  LOL.  Nothing worked.  The app did state an update was available but when you clicked ok it did nothing.  The Android app did look/feel much more stable than the Apple version I'm stuck with.  Oh well.  Guess we wait for a fix.

BUT I do have a firmware question - how much risk am I inviting running the base level firmware on the 18s?  I agree with Marty's comment 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' but if there are critical updates that impact my ability to safely juggle chainsaws ride the 18s that would be helpful to know.

And do we have any idea if KingSong even knows or cares that the app isn't working for some of their customer base?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Holt said:

And do we have any idea if KingSong even knows or cares that the app isn't working for some of their customer base?

there are people in the world that pay thousands to get shat upon, it appears we now have joined that club.

31 minutes ago, Holt said:

BUT I do have a firmware question - how much risk am I inviting running the base level firmware on the 18s?  I agree with Marty's comment 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' but if there are critical updates that impact my ability to safely juggle chainsaws ride the 18s that would be helpful to know.

No problem running the 18S on the previous Firmware, the new version (1.04) didn’t make any substancial changes, mostly lowering the speed unlock requirement down to 200km from 1,000km. 

FYI - I am running a Samsung Galaxy S7, I was able to leave the old black and green app on my phone, and at the same time download and run the new white orange app on my phone, so I have both apps on one phone.  I was able to register a KS account on the new app using my mobile phone number and proceeded to update both my 16S and my 18S with no issues at all. And since I only had around 750km on the 18S not the 1,000km I was then able to unlock my speed limits from 40km/h up to 50km/h with the new app and the new Firmware (version 1.04 on the 18S).....so it looks like this issue with firmware upgrade problems is only on the 14 S model at this point.

13CE821A-4A75-4191-8F4A-53F07F0F234A.thumb.png.76863325d7ed7060378125c64effe23b.png

6 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

@Jason McNeil, does this go for the 14D as well? 

First, ask yourself why you need to update the firmware. For me it's not worth the risk unless there's some huge improvement being made.

7 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

All forum 14S users, PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE TO THE LATEST FIRMWARE RELEASE! Barrett reported last evening that after receiving his replacement 14S, the new App prompted to update the firmware, which promptly blew the control-board. This suggests it is not a Wheel specific related one-off, but a more general problem with KS's hardware & this revision of FW. 

I'll also be sending out an advisory to all our 14S Customers this morning.

Wow! That's a real shocker! (switches of sarcasm mode) :rolleyes: I'm glad my 16s upgrade fails repeatedly, and trying to create a King Song account also fails. I'll wait until someone else volunteers to brick their wheel to get this "upgrade"

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

???

Didn't you always tell us that you use only wheellog?...So "every time" should be quite seldom, or?

OK, "every time" is an exaggeration. When I need to adjust the LEDs I have to use the KingSong app, and sometimes WheelLog refuses to connect to the KS14S so I have to run the KingSong app.

It still annoys me that I have to wait for the Internet connection and then "Firmware Update" dialog.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

OK, "every time" is an exaggeration. When I need to adjust the LEDs I have to use the KingSong app, and sometimes WheelLog refuses to connect to the KS14S so I have to run the KingSong app.

It still annoys me that I have to wait for the Internet connection and then "Firmware Update" dialog.

Darkness bot should allow you to change disco mode

1 hour ago, Holt said:

I have commented several times on my issues with the KingSong app and have stopped attempting to troubleshoot.  My last effort was at BestBuy yesterday using the latest Samsung phone - loaded app and ran through trying to register.  Guy working there was standing there watching some guy roll up on a euc, grab a demo phone, load app from china, connect it to the euc and start punching email addresses and phone numbers in.  LOL.  Nothing worked.  The app did state an update was available but when you clicked ok it did nothing.  The Android app did look/feel much more stable than the Apple version I'm stuck with.  Oh well.  Guess we wait for a fix.

no problems on the 18s whatsoever...

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Wow! That's a real shocker! (switches of sarcasm mode) :rolleyes: I'm glad my 16s upgrade fails repeatedly, and trying to create a King Song account also fails. I'll wait until someone else volunteers to brick their wheel to get this "upgrade"

This is my same outlook an the 14d. I’ve tried and failed to update or register . Now I’m afraid to try again. 

Darkness bot should allow you to change disco mode

If only I had an iPhone <_<

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

If only I had an iPhone <_<

This surprises me. Based on your past recommendation I bought a new android for $49. You could easily buy a used Iphone that has been run over by a truck for around $300. :)

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

This surprises me. Based on your past recommendation I bought a new android for $49. You could easily buy a used Iphone that has been run over by a truck for around $300. :)

Darknessbot only iOS? I didn't know that.  I have two iPhones both 5.  One bought for £170 and one for £80 about a year later (from a Playboy Bunny, Man, some of the photos on it were interesting :o )  That's the one I use now.  I cracked the screen on the original one but last week I replaced the screen myself for £11 in parts and a couple of hours following YouTube.  The 5 is old, but it does everything I need.  I don't understand why people clamor for the latest and greatest every time they come out.  I can't see paying those prices. My recent snow and cliff photos come from that phone.

I don't understand why people clamor for the latest and greatest every time they come out.  I can't see paying those prices. My recent snow and cliff photos come from that phone.

I agree. My wife treated herself to a new Iphone 10 last week. She had the 7 plus which was fine but I figured if she gets a new toy so do I. Right @Jason McNeil;)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I agree. My wife treated herself to a new Iphone 10 last week. She had the 7 plus which was fine but I figured if she gets a new toy so do I. Right @Jason McNeil;)

You must have hit your head harder than you remember.  She gets a new phone, you say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except ~"You deserve it honey".  Then you shut up!  You may have forgotten how dire things looked 2 weeks ago but she hasn't.  Patience grasshopper, all in good time.  You've got your illicit Mten3 so your wheeling on thin ice anyway, Be grateful for that, and bide your time.  Open the oven door too soon and you'll ruin the souffle. Now run along and play nice with the kids. :P

You must have hit your head harder than you remember.

You missed the hermetic epistle ;)

45 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Means ‘hidden cryptic message’. @Smoother missed something:)

If you mean you have already ordered something from Jason, that was my first thought.  But then I thought, no, not even an id-10-T would do that.  I had another thought, your wife got her new phone last week because she knew damn well you would not be able to mount a credible argument against it.  All she would have to do was point at your shoulder and win the argument.  Turns out not ALL chicks dig scars.  Who knew.  Or to be a contrarian, she does dig YOUR scar because she scored a new phone, but that would be very cynical, and not what I believe happened. After all a new phone counts for nothing compared to everything associated with you sticking your landing.

EDIT and thanks for making me look up hermetic.  Hermes Trismegistus.  You learn something every day, who knew?  I can go to bed now.

3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

If you mean you have already ordered something from Jason, that was my first thought.  But then I thought, no, not even an id-10-T would do that.  I had another thought, your wife got her new phone last week because she knew damn well you would not be able to mount a credible argument against it.  All she would have to do was point at your shoulder and win the argument.  Turns out not ALL chicks dig scars.  Who knew.  Or to be a contrarian, she does dig YOUR scar because she scored a new phone, but that would be very cynical, and not what I believe happened. After all a new phone counts for nothing compared to everything associated with you sticking your landing.

EDIT and thanks for making me look up hermetic.  Hermes Trismegistus.  You learn something every day, who knew?  I can go to bed now.

I don't want to look that up, but I know a little.  Does that mean three times the speed?

EDIT and thanks for making me look up hermetic

Your most welcome. Interesting interpolation.  Best to maintain my shroud. B) 

Hello Everyone,

ive gotten the wheel to start up by laying it on the side which prevents it from blowing the fuse.   After connecting in this manner it looks like the app put the 18s firmware on the wheel even though it is connected and recognized as a 14s.  

Is there something to do to tell the app which firmware to use?   I’m very new to the software/hardware interaction but there seems to be no way to change anything.  

7 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Hello Everyone,

ive gotten the wheel to start up by laying it on the side which prevents it from blowing the fuse.   After connecting in this manner it looks like the app put the 18s firmware on the wheel even though it is connected and recognized as a 14s.  

Is there something to do to tell the app which firmware to use?   I’m very new to the software/hardware interaction but there seems to be no way to change anything.  

Brilliant thinking there.  Unfortunately, I can't help you with your question.  Jason will be your best source, but he's traveling right now.  You won't be able to contact him meaningfully until Tuesday.  I suspect, he may send you a fresh board and sort yours out in his workshop.  Be patient, Mr. Gotway, I mean @Marty Backe loves his 14s, and you will too once this is sorted.  Probably by next weekend.  And stay away from that stupid factory app until Jason gives you the all clear.

Archived