Problem with Brand New KS14s

Barrett Roberts

Just got my new wheel today and unfortunately I’m having an issue I can’t figure out.   

Unboxed the wheel and connected to the KS app.   Got a message about firmware update and that started as normal.   When finished the wheel bucked and then shut off and won’t turn on.   Turns out the fuse had been blown.   

I replaced it but as soon as I turn it on it bucks and blows the fuse again.  I don’t have any more fuses to try right now.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Just got my new wheel today and unfortunately I’m having an issue I can’t figure out.   

Unboxed the wheel and connected to the KS app.   Got a message about firmware update and that started as normal.   When finished the wheel bucked and then shut off and won’t turn on.   Turns out the fuse had been blown.   

I replaced it but as soon as I turn it on it bucks and blows the fuse again.  I don’t have any more fuses to try right now.  

I'd assume firmware update completed "ok" and cannot be repeated?

Could be a problem that only your reseller can resolve ;(

4 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

that sucks. the kingsong app sucks btw. pls let us know how everything shakes out.

I've been thinking about this.  Firstly, it's bad that either the wheel shipped faulty, or the official app bricked it, way to go King Song. :angry:  But on the other hand, the much debated King Song fuse has apparently done its job of protecting the hardware from damage, so....way to go King Song. :)

13 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Unboxed the wheel and connected to the KS app.   Got a message about firmware update and that started as normal.   When finished the wheel bucked and then shut off and won’t turn on.

Did you use the Wheel at all before performing the FW update? It's highly coincidental the connection between the update & board failure, but there hasn't been another reported case of this before, so the evidence for causation is not certain. I'll drop you email with what we can do for sorting this out. 

18 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Did you use the Wheel at all before performing the FW update? It's highly coincidental the connection between the update & board failure, but there hasn't been another reported case of this before, so the evidence for causation is not certain. I'll drop you email with what we can do for sorting this out. 

Thanks!  No did not have a chance to ride it.  

22 minutes ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Yes it does suck I was excited to ride it!  However, I love my KS18s so much I’m willing to give Kingsong another shot.   

That really sucks....but you should let Jason sort that problem out, and i will promise you will love a functioning 14S!

i would suspect the board to have a failure and dont believe it was the update alone......but in the end ...who knows.

Hope you get the problem sorted out soon...as the 14S is really a fantastic wheel.

4 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Yes it does suck I was excited to ride it!  However, I love my KS18s so much I’m willing to give Kingsong another shot.   

yeah, i love my 18s too. it’s so different from the other wheels. they feel like toys. fun toys, but toys. driving skills are so different for me.

6 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

That really sucks....but you should let Jason sort that problem out, and i will promise you will love a functioning 14S!

i would suspect the board to have a failure and dont believe it was the update alone......but in the end ...who knows.

Hope you get the problem sorted out soon...as the 14S is really a fantastic wheel.

That’s great to hear!   Jason already put a new one in the mail for me and I shipped the defective unit back.   Excellent service.  

On 2/22/2018 at 7:20 PM, Barrett Roberts said:

Unboxed the wheel and connected to the KS app.   Got a message about firmware update and that started as normal. 

Barrett - did you register an account with the King Song app prior to installing latest firmware version?  Do you remember what firmware version your new wheel was running prior to upgrade?

I am curious as to role the registered account might play in upgrade and if going from base firmware to latest greatest firmware will risk bricking the wheel.

Thanks!

On 2/23/2018 at 9:25 PM, Barrett Roberts said:

That’s great to hear!   Jason already put a new one in the mail for me and I shipped the defective unit back.   Excellent service.  

All forum 14S users, PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE TO THE LATEST FIRMWARE RELEASE! Barrett reported last evening that after receiving his replacement 14S, the new App prompted to update the firmware, which promptly blew the control-board. This suggests it is not a Wheel specific related one-off, but a more general problem with KS's hardware & this revision of FW. 

I'll also be sending out an advisory to all our 14S Customers this morning.

9 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

All forum 14S users, PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE TO THE LATEST FIRMWARE RELEASE! Barrett reported last evening that after receiving his replacement 14S, the new App prompted to update the firmware, which promptly blew the control-board. This suggests it is not a Wheel specific related one-off, but a more general problem with KS's hardware & this revision of FW. 

Good to know. The only reason that I upgraded my 14S the first time was to get rid of the speed limitations. In general (with wheels anyway), if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Same with their apps.

It is frustrating that every time I connect to the KS14S I have to wait for the prompt that tells me to install the latest firmware. Guess I'll have to get used to seeing that screen until I get rid of the wheel :(

But it's still good to know that KingSong makes higher quality products than Gotway ;)  Allow me this one dig, as I get to hear 'Gotway Sucks' all day long.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

@Jason McNeil, does this go for the 14D as well? 

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It is frustrating that every time I connect to the KS14S I have to wait for the prompt that tells me to install the latest firmware. Guess I'll have to get used to seeing that screen until I get rid of the wheel :(

???

Didn't you always tell us that you use only wheellog?...So "every time" should be quite seldom, or?

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

We haven't received any reports of this yet for the 14D. 

This could be because the app isn’t working right now. I tried to update but it failed 3x.  Same with trying to register . It just doesn’t seem to work.

6 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

wow!

Archived