Problem with Brand New KS14s

Barrett Roberts

14 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Hello Everyone,

ive gotten the wheel to start up by laying it on the side which prevents it from blowing the fuse.   After connecting in this manner it looks like the app put the 18s firmware on the wheel even though it is connected and recognized as a 14s.  

Is there something to do to tell the app which firmware to use?   I’m very new to the software/hardware interaction but there seems to be no way to change anything.  

No, nothing to be configured in the app. KingSong is really brain-dead to have released the app software like this. Makes we wonder if they have kids writing some of their software, maybe as a High School project.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No, nothing to be configured in the app. KingSong is really brain-dead to have released the app software like this. Makes we wonder if they have kids writing some of their software, maybe as a High School project.

If I'd written that I would have got a load of backlash.

ya, doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. i’m pretty sure my charging problem is software/firmware related. before when i’d hold my mouth right and connect to the kingsong app, it would flash “illegal device” and then say kingsong 18s or whatever. the ks-16s would just say what it was. now i notice, the 18s no longer says illegal device but now the 16s says “illegal device” but it is starting to charge properly. 

i was laughing to myself yesterday because i’m gonna hopefully get frontier fios in the old homestead again next door and not have to do over air anymore and get 150/150 up and down, so maybe a new computer build or dust off my then state of the art build from 2012. be interesting to see whats on the harddrive. but i was signing back in to another forum “overclockers” and i hought i bet there are overclockers on this forum.

On 3/2/2018 at 2:01 AM, Jason McNeil said:

All forum 14S users, PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE TO THE LATEST FIRMWARE RELEASE! Barrett reported last evening that after receiving his replacement 14S, the new App prompted to update the firmware, which promptly blew the control-board. This suggests it is not a Wheel specific related one-off, but a more general problem with KS's hardware & this revision of FW. 

I'll also be sending out an advisory to all our 14S Customers this morning.

What version of firmware is this?  My current version is V. 1.06.

12 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

I just hope that the only thing fried is the small replaceable fuse and nothing on the board itself.   If they correct the issue maybe installing the correct firmware will fix the problem 

Exactly, once they realize what went wrong, it should be a simple correction of mapping the correct hardware serial number to firmware branch. 

4 hours ago, dbfrese said:

What version of firmware is this?  My current version is V. 1.06.

Appears that this issues is only with the newest App to v1.06, if you already have v1.06, then you shouldn't be prompted to update & if you do, please DON'T.

16 hours ago, Smoother said:
16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

If I'd written that I would have got a load of backlash.

It's undeniable that KS are not exactly on a winning streak between another botch App release & now the elementary failure to map the correct hardware to firmware. It's better that failures are discussed in the open, so that it increases the odds of that something is done about it, rather then putting one's head in the sand.

What I personally need to see from King Song, is a bit more of a grownup Company's attitude to managing high impact problems that affect all their Users. Whoever is responsible for coordinating with the [lousy] 3rd party Development company, needs to be available on call extended hours & weekends as well, to deal with the problem in a more timely fashion. The original reports of the App registration failure go back 4 weeks now, & as of today, it's still a problem, this is simply not good enough!  

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Appears that this issues is only with the newest App to v.1.06

That may explain it. I upgraded about a month ago using v. 1.35 of the app. So far, absolutely no problems with the new v.1.06 FW.

I heard the Chi_ese gover_me_t rece_tly blocked the use of the letter ‘N’ o_ the i_ter_et.  Maybe that is causing issues for Ki_gSo_g.  

Hopefully the issue will be resolved soo_.

Sometimes you just gotta laugh!

Still no luck guys... tried a loader to reset the firmware and it didn’t work.  Wheel is in worse shape now it pops fuses even on its side.   I don’t think I will ever update firmware again...  this is a long time to not be able to ride. 

5 minutes ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Still no luck guys... tried a loader to reset the firmware and it didn’t work.  Wheel is in worse shape now it pops fuses even on its side.   I don’t think I will ever update firmware again...  this is a long time to not be able to ride. 

Isn't your dealer helping you?

I feel for you.

I'm thinking maybe it's a good thing that Gotway doesn't allow firmware updates.

11 minutes ago, Barrett Roberts said:

i admire ur patience, i’m not exactly geared that way. even though i love my 18s and see it as a great tool for getting around the ranch, kingsong really has to step up in their software dept. segway/ninebot app works fine. for me, for getting around the ranch, since i learned how to ride half ass ( not hard ) i really hope the new ninebot one z10 doesn’t have issues. that’s the best design for me, i think, with the big tire for pasture use. a lightly used 16s and 18s(might keep if kingsong ever gets it together) will be in the classifieds. the 16s without mods hits my boney ankles in a bad place.

25 minutes ago, Barrett Roberts said:

He’s trying yes.  i think he may still be out of town on a trip. 

I assume worst case scenario is a replacement board, right? It's a hassle but yeah - always a good sober reminder that these things are half computer and with that comes the expected...............glitches.

Look on the bright side: better the wheel fucks up the moment it turns on rather than when you're doing 30kph downhill with the wind in your sails ?

On the subject of glitches....still my favourite computer glitch scene and also one of my favourite movie scenes ever ???????:

Now that’s the KS iOS app authenticated my account I noticed the app no longer prompts me to update firmware after log in.  The firmware interface shows no available update available as well.  Might be dumb luck or maybe KS HQ took down all upgrades based on your issue.

Dont you have another wheel to ride?

I certainly understand what you are going through.  My FedEx guy and I got to know each other pretty well during my initial purchase process.

Are you sure it worked before the firmware upgrade?  My KS issues did not present until I ran the initial battery charge down enough to warrant a charge.

4 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Yeah it’s frustrating. Especially since I spent $120 for the initial expedited shipping ?

yeah that really sucks. if i were jason, i’d be checking every china made wheel i sold, before i shipped it out. shipping charges are ridiculous now.

Holt,

I can only assume it worked but I maybe rode it 10 feet.  I’m super bummed at the moment.  After the first failure I actually emailed Jason and asked if I should try to update this one and was told it should be fine.   

I have faith it will be worked out but having to just have a $1300 dead wheel sitting in my garage all this time really sucks.   

I do have the KS18S to ride but this was supposed to be my portable wheel to take around town.  While I love the 18 that is one massive wheel and not super friendly for hauling around in the car or on trips.  

2 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

Wanted to report that I am finally the proud owner of a working KS14S.  I love the wheel and @Jason McNeilhas been great helping me get things straight.  

Much happier with this small wheel.  

And never ever upgrade the firmware again :D

Archived