Got my Mten3

Barrett Roberts

So I got my Mten3 a few weeks ago.  Honestly I don’t care for it.  The app is unusable.   It feels cheaply made compared to the Kingsong.   Lots of creaks and groans.   Poor fit and finish.  The worst of all probably the fact that if you don’t step off perfectly it goes into a mad spin of death like the last star fighter and beats itself to pieces.    Both mine and my brother’s Mten3 has this behavior.   

It is fun to ride but I would not buy it again. 

Always appreciate candid reviews, whether positive or negative.  Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts.  I am not buying another wheel for a long while, but the MTen interests me because of it's unique qualities.  What's your impression of the wide/tubeless tire?  I've got high hopes for the Z series because of that design feature. 

Does your brother like his MTen? 

Sorry you are not liking the Mten3. Im noticing that there are many riders out there that write off this wheel to quickly. I personally think its an amazing wheel that has incredible torque, agility and speed. I rode it in NYC traffic in the pouring rain last night and it held up like a champ. Its certainly not a beginner wheel, as you have to get used to its riding vocabulary,  Its a compact little rocket.

Give it more time..

Hmmmm... interesting. The MTen3 for me is in my top 5 wheels all time, I've been riding it regularly in NYC traffic just like @Mrd777, notice no relative deficiency to it as a daily traveler.

The one caveat is I wouldn't recommend any sub 1200W motor wheel to bigger / taller riders above the 200 lbs. If I'm not mistaken, I thought I recalled you and your brother being fairly big & tall dudes @Barrett Roberts, no?

1 hour ago, Barrett Roberts said:

The worst of all probably the fact that if you don’t step off perfectly it goes into a mad spin of death like the last star fighter

Greetings Starfighter,

The 'feature' you mentioned is called "Death Blossom" and it's used to destroy your enemies in the event that they mock you for riding an euc. ;)

laststarfighterbadguy.gif.6b35e5e590c2e5fec1e287cb5ab2bee9.gif

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Hmmmm... interesting. The MTen3 for me is in my top 5 wheels all time, I've been riding it regularly in NYC traffic just like @Mrd777, notice no relative deficiency to it as a daily traveler.

The one caveat is I wouldn't recommend any sub 1200W motor wheel to bigger / taller riders above the 200 lbs. If I'm not mistaken, I thought I recalled you and your brother being fairly big & tall dudes @Barrett Roberts, no?

Yes we are both over 200 pounds.   Do a lot of weight lifting 

On 12/6/2017 at 1:54 PM, Barrett Roberts said:

So I got my Mten3 a few weeks ago.  Honestly I don’t care for it.  The app is unusable.   It feels cheaply made compared to the Kingsong.   Lots of creaks and groans.   Poor fit and finish.  The worst of all probably the fact that if you don’t step off perfectly it goes into a mad spin of death like the last star fighter and beats itself to pieces.    Both mine and my brother’s Mten3 has this behavior.   

It is fun to ride but I would not buy it again. 

That's really too bad that you don't like the Mten3 much. I hope that I never have to live without my Mten3 or equivalent, I love it that much.

Perhaps you need more time on it. When you mention the problems that can occur when not stepping off it correctly, I wonder if you haven't developed necessary skills to ride it? Although a small wheel, I place it in the category of an Advanced User wheel because of the learning curve that comes with it. But once you progress up that learning curve it's such a fantastic wheel.

Except for a few backward riding instances I've never had an issue with losing control of the wheel when starting or stopping. That's what makes me think that you need to give it more time before writing the wheel off.

BTW, the 'app' has nothing to do with the Mten3. The Gotway app in general is hard to get to use unless you can run the older version. Or with WheelLog you don't need the Gotway app. But in any case, that's not a fault of the wheel.

I may have influenced you to get the wheel, and for that I'm sorry. I hate to see disappointed owners of wheels that I promote :(

:w00t2:  Dibbs on the half price Mten3 soon to be on sale!

Seriously though, I wonder if with the smaller wheel it's even more important to come to a complete stop before dismounting.  A rolling dismount might be resulting in the wheel instability as it's more "feisty" and responsive due to the lower weight and smaller diameter wheel.  I've never tried one, but imagining it theoretically I bet it's likely more important to keep a level foot on it while dismounting.  Any forward or backwards pressure is probably sending it off into the death spiral of doom.

Even with my Ninebot, it's tricky when I dismount on a slight downhill slope.  I once had to stop at a crossing down an overpass while carrying a bag of groceries and a jug of milk.  I think I didn't give the wheel enough back pressure on the pedal so it almost got away from me.  Stopping on a slope is tricky!

Stepping off smoothly is not that easy, took me a long time.  But it is fun to come to a smooth stop, and step off.  It feels cool to pull up to my car, stop, and reverse just a little, then step off.  Took me forever but getting on and getting off smoothly is harder than it looks.

Maybe the MTen3 is not for taller, heavier riders?

36 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Took me forever but getting on and getting off smoothly is harder than it looks.

Oh yeah... mounting this little wheel is interesting. Toughest mount of my 4 wheels by far. It rolls so fast and I can't brace it against my calf without rolling my knee well in over the wheel, so far it's in the way... 

I am now rolling the wheel over so that the pedal I step up on is closer to the ground when I begin the mount. I step up as the wheel rights itself and I have a lot less trouble catching the rising pedal on the way up. I'm not 100% smooth, but I am improving with this method.

3 minutes ago, stevedig said:

I am now rolling the wheel over so that the pedal I step up on is closer to the ground when I begin the mount. I step up as the wheel rights itself and I have a lot less trouble catching the rising pedal on the way up. I'm not 100% smooth, but I am improving with this method.

This is my standard method. It puts the force of the already mounted foot closer vertically in line with the tire contact patch, so your weigh passes more or less straight down to the ground through the contact patch.  And, as you say, you catch the rising pedal as all your weight, transfering to the mounted foot, causes the wheel to pivot towards that force, as you raise the other foot off the ground.  I thought everyone does it like that.

20 minutes ago, stevedig said:

I do it the opposite way, I step on the higher pedal, and kind of hop on when the pedals are level.:blink1:

5 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I do it the opposite way, I step on the higher pedal, and kind of hop on when the pedals are level.:blink1:

"Hopping" should never be the adverb used for describing how one mounts the pedals, because that implies some haphazardness in the process. It does take practice, but I recommend that everyone practice their mounts (both feet) every time you ride. Only then will you get better.

Film at 11

15 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I thought everyone does it like that.

With the msuper, ks18s and tesla, the body is tall and wide enough that i set my foot on the pedal and let the wheel lean against my leg to hold it upright as i bring up the other foot. i can actually step up on the wheel and ride it a ways without setting the second foot down on the other pedal. 

The mten3 won't play this way because by the time the body of the wheel comes into contact with my inner leg the outside pedal is so high i have a hard time getting my foot up on it and it's really hard to brace the wheel with so much angle in the pedal. With the larger wheels, the pedal my weight is on as I step up is flat/level when the wheel body comes into firm contact with the inside of my leg. 

@Hunka Hunka Burning Lovepool noodle idea might work. I had actually considered it and rejected the idea cause I didn't want to cruse around with a pair of hacked off pool noodles glued to the euc between my legs...

I hadn't even considered trying Hunka's video option. I'll call it the lever manuver... :) 

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

Stepping off smoothly is not that easy, took me a long time.  But it is fun to come to a smooth stop, and step off.  It feels cool to pull up to my car, stop, and reverse just a little, then step off.  Took me forever but getting on and getting off smoothly is harder than it looks.

Maybe the MTen3 is not for taller, heavier riders?

I've been noting for awhile now that when I get off the wheel, sometime I come to stop where I'm paused for almost a second before I lift my foot off the pedal and to the ground. It's such a nice feeling to be in absolute control of your wheel.

Here's a little video which I hope demonstrates the ease in which mounting and dismounting from the Mten3 can be accomplished. And it's easier with the bigger wheels.

We must always practice our craft to get better :D

@Barrett Roberts , the app is totally unusable in its current state, and Gotway has been unhelpful in offering any solutions.  Short of learning Chinese, I'm screwed it seems.  The wheel, on the other hand, continues to be so much fun that I put up with the crappy support from the manufacturer and just keep trying to figure out how to overcome the challenges without counting on any help from them.  It's not the best scenario, but I have so much fun on the wheel that I'm still willing to overlook the deficits.  

7 hours ago, steve454 said:

I think you just described the same way.  If you read @stevedig s description carefully, it's the same thing.   BTW is it just me or is this box we post in acting funny to you when you try to enter a break by pressing the "enter" key?  Every time I try it, half my text disappears.  Thank God for "ctrl Z".  Nice work @Marty Backe .  You've improved since last year's videos, where you did have a decided "hop".  Of course, in ALL my videos you can see a perfect technique every time :rolleyes:

On 12/6/2017 at 2:23 PM, houseofjob said:

Not sure I agree with this. For instance, @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" is a tall guy around 200 pounds and he doesn't have any problems with his Mten3 and is also a fan of the KS14C (800w motor).

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Not sure I agree with this. For instance, @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" is a tall guy around 200 pounds and he doesn't have any problems with his Mten3 and is also a fan of the KS14C (800w motor).

‘’I wouldn’t recommend’’, YOU may do whatever you like ;)

On 12/6/2017 at 5:23 PM, houseofjob said:

The one caveat is I wouldn't recommend any sub 1200W motor wheel to bigger / taller riders above the 200 lbs. 

This doesn't really track with my experience.  I'm around 200 lbs, more or less.  My Mten3 has plenty of power to move me around without breaking a sweat.  It isn't entirely about watts.  The 10" wheel generates enormous torque, and that's what you need to put mass in motion.  

Archived