Got my Mten3

Barrett Roberts

30 minutes ago, radial said:

This doesn't really track with my experience.  I'm around 200 lbs, more or less.  My Mten3 has plenty of power to move me around without breaking a sweat.  It isn't entirely about watts.  The 10" wheel generates enormous torque, and that's what you need to put mass in motion.  

I never stated this reason.(or any at all for that fact)

Your experience is your experience, my opinion is my opinion.

Thanks all!

Marty don’t feel concerned about promoting the wheel at all.  Not all things are gonna appeal to all people.  

I have zero trouble mounting the wheel.  Also if I come to a complete stop and step off it also does a pretty good job.  It’s only if I step off in a hurry for some reason the wheel will go nuts.  

The KS18s is much more stable and forgiving even when mistakes are made.  

On 08/12/2017 at 8:57 PM, Barrett Roberts said:

Also if I come to a complete stop and step off it also does a pretty good job.  It’s only if I step off in a hurry for some reason the wheel will go nuts.  

A package arrived from GW on Friday with the Firmware Update tool, loaded with 12 different firmware images (across all hardware platforms) that is supposed to improve the cut-out handling. Time permitting I'll be testing this out later today, starting with the MTen3. 

uc?export=view&id=1bcCMkeYzWiGuY-6hqQ_Ig

@Jason McNeil

Did they loose some words in which way this firmware versions work?

I mean some more than "against the cutouts"....as it arent cutouts it are Mosfets blows.

So something like "we brought down the max amps in several situations" or so....

Its good that GW adresses this problems, but i really hope new firmware users arent the alpha/beta testers again, like they have been on the last firmware update, which ends in a oscillating/faceplant issue!

Appreciate your engagement to get the wheels better for our community, thanks for that!!!

11 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Its good that GW adresses this problems, but i really hope new firmware users arent the alpha/beta testers again, like they have been on the last firmware update, which ends in a oscillating/faceplant issue!

It was mainly on account of Marty's prompting which motivated me to chase this up with GW again.:rolleyes:

I was told by Linnea that GW themselves, & Korea, use this firmware, the only difference is the kill-switch delay on reaching the 45° angle is near instantaneous (similar to every other brand), rather than the several second delay that current GW Wheels are shipped with. 

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@Jason McNeil

Did they loose some words in which way this firmware versions work?

I mean some more than "against the cutouts"....as it arent cutouts it are Mosfets blows.

So something like "we brought down the max amps in several situations" or so....

Appreciate your engagement to get the wheels better for our community, thanks for that!!!

I think 'cut-out' is the wrong term. This is a fix that turns the wheel off as it falls over. You know, the Gotway-dance.

This firmware is in my Tesla (I've heard it's not in the earlier Tesla's) so that it too turns into a dead animal just like the new KingSong wheels. This is a MAJOR improvement in my mind and will prevent so much damage when learning and periodically when we all drop a wheel by accident.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

It was mainly on account of Marty's prompting which motivated me to chase this up with GW again.:rolleyes:

I was told by Linnea that GW themselves, & Korea, use this firmware, the only difference is the kill-switch delay on reaching the 45° angle is near instantaneous (similar to every other brand), rather than the several second delay that current GW Wheels are shipped with. 

This is absolutely fantastic Jason. A huge improvement that will prevent many battle scars when learning and when just using the wheel. My Tesla that I got from you has this version and I love it!

:thumbup:

38 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think 'cut-out' is the wrong term. This is a fix that turns the wheel off as it falls over. You know, the Gotway-dance.

This firmware is in my Tesla (I've heard it's not in the earlier Tesla's) so that it too turns into a dead animal just like the new KingSong wheels. This is a MAJOR improvement in my mind and will prevent so much damage when learning and periodically when we all drop a wheel by accident.

Aaah, Ok!

Then i got it wrong...actually this firmware is in my Tesla, too!

It stops balancing at about 45degree, a bit after the pedal scrapes to the ground. Much much better than on my old msuper, which only stops a bit before laying on the ground. While we "normal" drivers for sure appreciate this change, there are some xtreme drivers who might miss the old style firmware then. I guess it is not possible to drive the Tesla in a skate ramp curve, because you might reach the cutout point in such slopes. 

Actually i found this out like you did :-) I was having the Tesla only on one foot, and idling it forward/bakward in a curve...and then reaching the 45degree and it stops working :-) Good thyt it doesnt crazy dance anymore!

4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Aaah, Ok!

Then i got it wrong...actually this firmware is in my Tesla, too!

It stops balancing at about 45degree, a bit after the pedal scrapes to the ground. Much much better than on my old msuper, which only stops a bit before laying on the ground. While we "normal" drivers for sure appreciate this change, there are some xtreme drivers who might miss the old style firmware then. I guess it is not possible to drive the Tesla in a skate ramp curve, because you might reach the cutout point in such slopes. 

Actually i found this out like you did :-) I was having the Tesla only on one foot, and idling it forward/bakward in a curve...and then reaching the 45degree and it stops working :-) Good thyt it doesnt crazy dance anymore!

Good that you have it in your Tesla too.

It didn't occur to me that this might be an issue with extreme riders. I wonder if it doesn't stop if the wheel is moving fast - just like the power button doesn't work if the wheel is moving?

Fortunately for me I don't ride in skate parks ;)

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Good that you have it in your Tesla too.

It didn't occur to me that this might be an issue with extreme riders. I wonder if it doesn't stop if the wheel is moving fast - just like the power button doesn't work if the wheel is moving?

Fortunately for me I don't ride in skate parks ;)

As i remember it:

In earlier days all GW have the 45degree cutout! Then Eucextreme came up and asked for a 70degree cutout to go better with his riding style. Later on GW implemented this (at first special option) to all of their wheels, with the known disadvantage of the wheel dancing and slamming around.

Good they are now back to "normal" operation!

I have tried the feature while trollweying the wheel by hand, exactly to test out if this cutout only works when not moving or if it works all time. From my tests it works all time as soon you go over this certain degree. (but all other wheels do that also)

i guess you can not have all...stop the "dancing" AND have a higher degree cutout doesnt go together i guess

14 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

As i remember it:

In earlier days all GW have the 45degree cutout! Then Eucextreme came up and asked for a 70degree cutout to go better with his riding style. Later on GW implemented this (at first special option) to all of their wheels, with the known disadvantage of the wheel dancing and slamming around.

Good they are now back to "normal" operation!

I have tried the feature while trollweying the wheel by hand, exactly to test out if this cutout only works when not moving or if it works all time. From my tests it works all time as soon you go over this certain degree. (but all other wheels do that also)

i guess you can not have all...stop the "dancing" AND have a higher degree cutout doesnt go together i guess

So all of the damaged and broken wheels out there can be blamed on @EUC Extreme :furious:  ;)

Lets hope that they don't do this again. Modifying all wheels to support an extremely limited use case is stupid, IMHO.

Thanks for doing the test, but maybe Gotway disables it if you riding faster than 8 km/h, or 16 km/h?  Please find a skate park and confirm this ;)

22 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

You could, surely, have it all if the App allowed you to programme a “mere mortal” mode or “extreme riding” mode (or should that be “mad Fin” mode, especially for @EUC Extreme) with, of course, a big bold lettered warning that extreme mode could be very bad for your ankles ?

I’m sure that there are a fair number of people who would love to be able to turn on an extreme mode!

BTW @Marty Backe, I would think if it was going to disable above a certain speed it would make things worst as the wheel will quickly get above 16km/h if it has fallen over, indeed I suspect it might be the overspeed cut off that is cutting power?

2 minutes ago, Keith said:

You could, surely, have it all if the App allowed you to programme a “mere mortal” mode or “extreme riding” mode (or should that be “mad Fin” mode, especially for @EUC Extreme) with, of course, a big bold lettered warning that extreme mode could be very bad for your ankles ?

I’m sure that there are a fair number of people who would love to be able to turn on an extreme mode!

Yes, sure!

But it would -as first step from GW- nice to have an WORKING  app at all :-)

In my company we call such software behaviour the "golden door knob"...it will be only realized after the important things where done :-)

48 minutes ago, Keith said:

BTW @Marty Backe, I would think if it was going to disable above a certain speed it would make things worst as the wheel will quickly get above 16km/h if it has fallen over, indeed I suspect it might be the overspeed cut off that is cutting power?

Good point :thumbup:

The problem with having it configurable is that all of the Gotway haters out there would then start complaining when people would use it and then have failures. Just like they say Gotway is dangerous because they allow you to disable the tilt-back.

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The problem with having it configurable is that all of the Gotway haters out there would then start complaining when people would use it and then have failures. Just like they say Gotway is dangerous because they allow you to disable the tilt-back.

I think there is a big difference between a configurable function designed to prevent you from killing yourself at high speed and one that stops the wheel breaking your shins when you drop it.

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Btw.: I think complaining about that feature (disabling the tiltback) is totally nonsense!

At first, it is only an option, nobody has to disable it.

Second, you can not disable the last alarm. So you will always be warned!

So i dont see why that feature is in any way dangerous......

What i dont like on there tiltback feature is that you are able to set it so near to the cutout speed....people which dont understand how Euc's are working might feel safe about/because of the tiltback, while set at max speed it doesnt help you at all :-) 

Of course, it would be best if all the features were self-modifiable.
Admittedly, I have not noticed a 70 ° change any problem.
I understand that a regular user does not need such a function.
But, I myself refuse to drive an EUC that can not tilt over 45 °.
That would be very dangerous to me. :w00t2:

Archived