How steep can your euc climb?

Paddylaz

Hi guys, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on an euc but soon. Leaning towards the Ninebot e+.

Just wondering, because I live in quite a hilly area in surrey, how steep a slope/hill can your respective eucs climb?

You can download inclinometer/clinometer apps for iPhone etc so was wondering if anyone had put this to the test. Obviously I'm aware that this will eat into battery somewhat so would be interested to hear about that too. Thanks.

Good points @Gimlet. I would add that if you buy a 500+ W motor from a reputable brand you will generally be surprised how steep the wheel can climb -- at least, I am B)  Usually, I give up before the wheel gives up :D 

My E+ can climb *ANY* hill i throw at it. I live in Seattle WA. a notoriously hilly city. We are talking HUGE hills. I have ridden this thing up and down one of our largest hills, the Queen Anne hill climb. I have had no problems. 

Ill take a video tonight and post it. 

I have to say that this hill-climb thing seems like a non-issue. It's frequently mentioned as a concern but I don't think anyone has ever posted about being unable to climb a hill with any model. My cheap 14-inch wheel can climb the bike ramps near the stairs around here and I'd guess they are about 30 degrees. Perhaps someone can mention some models they have used that cannot climb a reasonable incline? 

I have to say that this hill-climb thing seems like a non-issue. It's frequently mentioned as a concern but I don't think anyone has ever posted about being unable to climb a hill with any model. My cheap 14-inch wheel can climb the bike ramps near the stairs around here and I'd guess they are about 30 degrees. Perhaps someone can mention some models they have used that cannot climb a reasonable incline? 

I haven't yet found a hill where the Firewheel would stall with my weight, but it will be slower on really steep hills, and I probably could overpower it by leaning forward enough. It probably could be an issue for heavier weight riders, as they could possibly overpower the wheel very easily.

Back when we we're doing some basic physics calculations, we concluded that around 425-430W of power is needed to go up a 10 degree slope with 90kg mass for wheel + rider (so for example, 15kg wheel + 75kg rider) at 10km/h constant speed. On top of this, you need to calculate the power needed for balancing, air resistance and rolling resistance.

Using the more "over the top" example of wheel + rider mass = 90kg, 30 degree incline and 20km/h steady, the power needed would be around 2500W (+ whatever is needed for balancing and to beat rolling resistance + air resistance).

For those of you climbing or descending steep hills, do you think having some sort of safety tether from your belt to the EUC is a good idea?  I've seen a few videos where people have lost control, and the EUC continues rolling downhill gaining speed.  I'd hate to imagine a EUC crashing into someone (small child, pregnant woman, etc) at the bottom as it would be like a cannonball hitting you.  Do you think a slim wire safety cable is a good idea?

For those of you climbing or descending steep hills, do you think having some sort of safety tether from your belt to the EUC is a good idea?  I've seen a few videos where people have lost control, and the EUC continues rolling downhill gaining speed.  I'd hate to imagine a EUC crashing into someone (small child, pregnant woman, etc) at the bottom as it would be like a cannonball hitting you.  Do you think a slim wire safety cable is a good idea?

I use a dog leash around my waist (through the belt loops of my pants) and down to the Ninebot One.  I have it for anytime my EU might get away from me.  I am a beginner (20 outings) so I still have occasions where the leash comes in handy but knowing my luck I am not sure I will ever consider myself so good that it wouldn't be a good idea... like my helmet.  I feel the same as @esaj, the day I don't wear my protection will be the day I need it.

I use a 15mm x 1.5m strap from an outdoor shop, those usually used to fix baggage on a bike. It is fixed to the wheel handle and only loosely looped through my belt from below (another member has reported to push the loose end in his pocket). It serves two purposes: I can snatch it with the hand when I loose the wheel, pretty much like the so-called training belt. If I don't have time to snatch it or miss it, the strap still has some chance to disturb the balance of the loose wheel bringing it down on its own. 

This approach is probably not 100% failsafe, but I don't like the idea to have a leash fixed to myself, because then it seems not so unlikely to stumble over it and fall when running off the wheel (happened once to me). Running off is to me the number one safety feature of e-wheeling.

..., but I don't like the idea to have a leash fixed to myself, because then it seems not so unlikely to stumble over it and fall when running off the wheel (happened once to me). Running off is to me the number one safety feature of e-wheeling.

I do not like the idea of running off the wheel and drag the 15kg block behind me on a leash, too ;) Putting the other end loose in the pocket or under the belt should be more than enough.

We should advocate that wheels must stop (not shut down, EDIT: stop while keeping the self-balancing feature on), when there is no weight on the pedals. It's a safety feature as important as that the wheel does not shut down when the speed or load limit is exceeded. I guess we have to deal with the fact that at some point in human history a child will be hit by a free running EUC and die. However if EUCs would just stop without the drivers weight the number of such accidents would be greatly reduced.  

EDIT: this might suggests to have a trolley mode, which can be activated manually and is deactivated automatically when weight (or a leg) goes on the pedals. 

I agree!

If the pedal sensor solution is complicated to get right, a simple solution would be to have a thin rope/wire similar to those on small boats, that once pulled off, stops the motor. The end of the rope to be hooked up to the riders trousers.

I don't want my EU to stop suddenly because the pedal weight sensor malfunctions.

sure, true for any device we want to function reliably, i.e., true for any device

Or if I jump a curb.

the jumping behavior would rather improve: instead to start spinning like stupid and then shut down (which is what it does now) it could just stop spinning.  But maybe it would just behave as it behaves now, as the self-balancing function remains in place. 

Anything with wheels can go down the hill and kill a child.

that sounds like an excellent reason to send even more things with wheels unleashed downhill. I probably missed your point, but are you saying you don't perceive this as a problem? 

that sounds like an excellent reason to send even more things with wheels unleashed downhill. I probably missed your point, but are you saying you don't perceive this as a problem? 

If this becomes a problem, mayby it's easier to solve by just designing this things not so symmetrical?

Same thing applies today for skateboards or baby carriages. Of course with EU the problem is bigger wheel meaning more speed. The biggest problem will be to stop other people from trying to stop the thing when it's running havoc.

Well, thought about that as well, but I fear that even if the weight where less symmetrical, there's still a chance that the wheel pick up speed. The problem as I see it, is that the EU gain speed the moment you get off, as it will try to compensate the natural forward lean. A motor less thing will at least only pick up speed passively. 15 kg of EU coming tumbling against a child, even a normal person, at those speed will cause harm. (e.g. hitting someone with their back against the EU)

I think the string solution, would be nice - when one are doing tricks, just leave the string unattached/on the EU. If MF's would incorporate, the wheel could gently break instead of switching off, which probably would be best, should one accidentally pull the string when riding. :)

Archived