mrelwood

Shock Absorbers, Easy DIY!

I reserve the second post for additional pictures of the current design.

Cool project! I just checked what could be possible on a V8 (it may be doable). It's somewhat unfortunate that the design and possibly even the material needs to be specifically tailored to the EUC model.

Do you have a measurement or estimate of the overall suspension travel that you achieve? I am slightly less optimistic about the size of the effect that is achievable with this method, in particular on riding safety. I can't quite see how a slightly larger tire run with slightly less air pressure shouldn't be at least as effective on absorption and grip contact. That your average speed has increased quite a bit due to this modification suggests to me that it may rather have a negative effect on riding safety.

Edited by Mono

5 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Why not use a tube of bathroom silicone, clean up the metal on the frame and squeeze a thick bead of it along the contact point, then put some cling film or polythene on it whilst still mouldable and open the pedal to the position you want it. You've then got a custom moulded elastomer spring stuck to one side.

I don't think silicone caulk will take compression very well, even when fully cured. Maybe something like Shoe Goo

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I found it good to have such material and amount that the weightless pedal angle is quite high. Solid rubber is way too dense for that, as it doesn't actually compress that much.

Well thats what I used when i was playing around with the idea a year or so ago!

It did work to a certain extent but I found that when I put enough in to get the amount of movement I wanted the pedals were up at too steep angle for my general comfort.

• Upvote 1

Very nice work. Well done! Did it work as you guess? 

I used @mrelwood s idea. I took the shell- protection pads that shipped with my 16s, stuck to the pedals.  I pealed them off and stuck them where the pedal contact the hangers.  They seem to work well, hold up well, and do not tilt the pedals noticeably 

• Like 1

very nice idea indeed :D I will definetly try that ;) if its possible in any way on my euc

Edited by Shad0z

didn't work on my tesla.. :ph34r:

well it drives pretty smoothly anyways ^_^

shock absortion for pedals

im thinking for models of eucs where you cant do this trick

i have another idea. here is a little drawing im thinking of doing this

(drawing is eccagurated)  but im thinking of putting springs or rubber between the two parts of my pedal (gotway pedals)

flat part on top and hollow part on bottom 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Shad0z said:

(drawing is eccagurated)  but im thinking of putting springs or rubber between the two parts of my pedal (gotway pedals)

You do that, and let us know how it works out........from your hospital bed.:facepalm:

How are you going to control your wheel when the front and back of your foot can move up and down without necessarily moving the pedal up and down? And vice versar?

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There already on the market. Some idiot tried them out on an ACM and crashed! 

26963574678_fcabe89d96_b.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Smoother said:

You do that, and let us know how it works out........from your hospital bed.:facepalm:

How are you going to control your wheel when the front and back of your foot can move up and down without necessarily moving the pedal up and down? And vice versar?

im thinking about either springs or rubber but my main choice would probably be rubber and as i said

"over eccaguration" and im thinking 1 cm or less

i will try see how it works out. im not expecting this to work that well but i will give it a go anyways doesnt hurt to try

Edited by Shad0z

im thinking about either springs or rubber but my main choice would probably be rubber and as i said

"over eccaguration" and im thinking 1 cm or less

i will try see how it works out. im not expecting this to work that well but i will give it a go anyways doesnt hurt to try

It would probably be easier to just get a pair of soft spongy shoes, or insoles.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Shad0z said:

Ask @Rehab1 if it hurts to try...

As for suspension, @Joey Serrin's MAX wheel as it "integrated" check out his video...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Ask @Rehab1 if it hurts to try...

As for suspension, @Joey Serrin's MAX wheel as it "integrated" check out his video...

as for try i mean not while the pedals are attached

i have seen that max euc and thinking about that it could be nice to make one myself. but my problem is materials and skills

and just not wanting to risk anything and just be happy with what i have

Edited by Shad0z

oh i just noticed somewhere on youtube another guy did the same thing that i was thinking of doing on his ks pedals so atlest it would be possible to a small extend

2 hours ago, Shad0z said:

oh i just noticed somewhere on youtube another guy did the same thing that i was thinking of doing on his ks pedals so atlest it would be possible to a small extend

Um, Hello! Where's the link?

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Um, Hello! Where's the link?

i cant find video but i think his name was simon or something

2 hours ago, Shad0z said:

i cant find video but i think his name was simon or something

it's in your History folder.