Riding Shoes?

EDL

Today is the first time my feet hurt from riding.  I didn't go far - only 5k (although for me that is a lot in one go) - but I did it over lunch at work in my work shoes (dress shoes).  There happen to be a lot of cobblestones on my route, so I'm sure that didn't help.  But it got me thinking about shoes.  Normally I ride in sneakers and I've never noticed this before.  Are people using biking shoes, running shoes, normal sneakers, etc...?  Or is my foot problem possibly related to riding technique?

I wear sneakers 99% of the time, I have like 20 different pairs of Air Max and since I ride to work I wear those with the biggest Air cushion the most. One day I went with my Nike Free (those ultralight running shoes) and my soles were burning after the ride.

For me, the thicker the sole the better. I mostly have low top shoes, although I heard from other people high top shoes (like for basketball) help them not to bruise their ankles. I am past that issue, since my ankles dont touch the bot unless I am waiting on a traffic light. 

depends also on the size of your pedals. if they are small i would prefer shoes with a hard sole. as i ride barefoot in my flat i got used to ride with my barefoot shoes on my ninebot. you need to be more carefull of your position. also good grip and a tight hold is important it gives you an extra boost in security. had to get some stripes of griptape for my barefoot shoes as they where quite slippery compared to others.

just try out some of your shoes with different positioning until you find your perfect match :)

I have been using, on purpose, all kind of shoes, from sandals over sneakers to "regular" shoes. They work all for me, after a little habituation, and I couldn't even say which ones work best. Large shoes are tricky if you have large feet, because they leave less margin for positioning on the pedal. From pure logic, shoes with flexible sole or with thin sole and therefore little damping will be less comfortable. Being more flexible in the knees should also help to spare the feet, in particular on cobblestone. The more relaxed you are, the more flexible you become to make small positional changes (even unconsciously) that prolong the time until fatigue/pain sets in.  

I saw @SerpentineGX mentioning that he really liked a pair of Vans Chukka Midtop so I have ordered a pair.   The first pair I ordered were too small, so did not get to try them out.  They do seem to have good padding in the sole.  We'll see how they do.  Normally I wear rather stiff-soled but well padded walking/hiking shoes. 

But these Vans are attractive.  I'm thinking that lacing up all the way might keep feet from sliding forward inside the shoe, thus avoiding pressuring the toes on the front of the shoes.  But I don't know yet. 

UATGVS-HERO.jpeg

UATGVS-ALT4.jpeg

It's never really worried me that much. Whatever I'm wearing when I grab the wheel is what I wear, sandals, shoes, trainers or boots makes little difference.

In my first few weeks when my legs were taking a beating I actually found wellington boots were good for the protection they gave to my legs.

I have problems with me knees, so usually wear either MBT or Kybun Shoes.

Kybun are shoes with a massive air sole, they are really good while walking, not so good when sitting for long hours, and horrible for the euc, and it puzzles me, because I would have expected them to really good.

MBT doesn't give soar feet's, but since it have a round sole, and my EUC have flat platform, (think, wheel on wheel :)). it really gives horrible control.

so right now I actually have to change to my older 'normal' shoes, that sole doesn't touch in the middle and they sole is very hard, with these shoes I can ride the battery flat (1 hour) without any fatigue in my feet's. (But I can't walk in them without looking like a gangster)

I usually ride with either sneakers or hiking boots. The hiking boots have thick soles and are very comfortable for long rides, although my feet sweat if it's hot outside. Now that I've ridden more with the sneakers, they're ok, but not as nearly as comfortable, and I do get numb or sore feets every now and then, when riding 20+km trips. Also the pedals on the wheel affect this very much, with the 14" generic, it doesn't matter which shoes I use, the bottom of my feet always get numb or start aching after a while, with the Firewheel & the hiking boots, I can ride 25km in one go without stopping and never having numb or aching feet.

Here is a video of 'barefoot Ted' who always  rides his Solowheel on Luna sandals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDKyaqeD4CQ

Actually, I often wear sandals too now on the wheel and I must say it gives me a very good feel of what the wheel is doing. For learning and offroad I would recommend basketball shoes though since they protect the ankle quite nicely:

659c22f701ec0936a307392127a83b28.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone.  Although I'm more convinced that it is not the shoes and more likely just a lack of practice and comfort level and building some balance muscles.  However, I will now have to try out all my shoes just to be sure!

Went out yesterday wearing some 'deck shoes' but found they were a bit too soft, felt like my feet were moulding around the pedals & any bump would feel even worse. 
The answer for me is any normal, stout footwear that I would happily wear to walk into town.

Still looking....

For foot sore issues, besides stepping off for a minute, alternating lifting toe and heel, works, even doing both feet at the same time, one foot - toe, onther foot - heel, still have both feet on the pedals for control, if you can not do one foot riding....

e7e8188a273b74573ea5977b032dfc23.jpg

They are called Vibram Fivefingers. I have a pair of brown leather KSO Trek and like to wear them a lot riding on my euc. They have a Vibram sole which gives both a good grip and feel. The KSO Trek in leather are also not as colourful and flamboyant as most of the Fivefingers, which suits an older lad like me more.

On a different note, I also enjoy riding my euc with my Ecco Tour Hybrid golf shoe, which I am wearing "at the grindstone".

They are called Vibram Fivefingers. I have a pair of brown leather KSO Trek and like to wear them a lot riding on my euc. They have a Vibram sole which gives both a good grip and feel. The KSO Trek in leather are also not as colourful and flamboyant as most of the Fivefingers, which suits an older lad like me more.

On a different note, I also enjoy riding my euc with my Ecco Tour Hybrid golf shoe, which I am wearing "at the grindstone".

I wear mine with Vibram FiveFIngers as well. I wear almost exclusive VFF's anyway, but love them on my Airwheel. I occasionally wear Shamma Sandals (like Barefoot Ted's Luna Sandals) but I find that my feet slip their position more on a straight sole than my VFF's. Our sidewalks and streets are pretty terrible so there's quite a bit of bounce riding around town.

• 2 months later...

It's never really worried me that much. Whatever I'm wearing when I grab the wheel is what I wear, sandals, shoes, trainers or boots makes little difference.

In my first few weeks when my legs were taking a beating I actually found wellington boots were good for the protection they gave to my legs.

Wellingtons, you must have looked like a right clown :) I find in  my normal trainers i get cramp a bit, but if wear my air max gym trainers i am a lot more comfortable, But like gimlet, generally whatever i grab first is what goes on my feet.

Wellingtons, you must have looked like a right clown :) I find in  my normal trainers i get cramp a bit, but if wear my air max gym trainers i am a lot more comfortable, But like gimlet, generally whatever i grab first is what goes on my feet.

Maybe I would have looked clown like if I'd gone out but around the farm who cares?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.  I'm thinking of trying different kinds of boots again as it would probably be pretty cool.

Currently my best shoes for riding are basketball type shoes which have a very flat sole and have some stiffness to them.  When I used more comfortable shoes but with non-flat soles they don't get that kind of "mind-meld" with the pedals as flat shoes on flat pedals do.

But I want to try different shoes again - a good test might be riding for an hour (or 45 mins).

Archived