Got my King Song KS-18S today!

eddiemoy

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as heavy as the ninebot surprised me, the ks18s seems lighter. i think the weight per volume, or density of the smaller wheel is what throws my mind off. plus the ks-18 has a good thick solid, non moving, handle.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Lovei know, i move slow. it's hot here. i think Bob and i will go to home depot tonight. they let him shop too. thought costco might have duct tape, nope, big huge boat fenders though, weird. then maybe tmrw, put the battery packs in the ks-18s and reassemble and pad. air the tires. my little road is pretty gnarly right now, so gotta to a little chainsawing and move limbs aside. i think all of the batteries have sufficient juice for lesson one, should i top them off before each use or take them down to halfway or so?

I'd probably charge them both up fully really well before the first ride.  Depending on how well you are able to ride they should be good for a while until you are able to put some real distance on them so no need to charge up each use.  It's better to have the batteries between 50-90% or so during use to prolong their life.  I usually charge up to 100% since I want to get the most out of my pack, but my ride only goes about 18 km or so riding near top speed all the time.  I usually average 20 kph over my trips.

On 8/23/2017 at 2:21 PM, novazeus said:

as heavy as the ninebot surprised me, the ks18s seems lighter. i think the weight per volume, or density of the smaller wheel is what throws my mind off. plus the ks-18 has a good thick solid, non moving, handle.

oops, yeah of course the ks-18s seems lighter by comparison, i still have to put the battery packs in it. stoned, i guess.

On going diary:

I REALLY dont want to sound biased...and i can imagine that is hard to believe when my forum nickname represents the brand that i am talking about. BUT:

This is -by far- the best EUC i have ever driven....

Perhaps some words why i need a bit longer to get to this conclusion:

I am very carefuly and doubtful when geting a new wheel! After some bad faults i always have to build some trust into the new wheel, before i really put it to its paces/borders. In the beginning i always have in mind, that a small manufacturing fault can easily send me faceplanting, just one of the cables not plugged in can be enough for such a desaster!

Now, i think i have drove this wheel enough and i allreally pushed it -as hard- as i can ever imagine....

Leaning in on hills, accelerating on long steep hills, very, very hard breaking, etc etc etc.

And i have to say, this is -again: by far- the best driving and wheel behaviour i have ever meat on an unicycle!

Even on 35kmh and above, the pedals are rock hard and did not get weak/soft , even when pushing on this always crazy speed.

I have done ultra steep hills, going them slowly, fast, middle speed...the 18S takes them with in a glimpse!

Yes, i have to admit, that with a lower case, the drive behaviour would perhaps be even better, as a smaller case makes a wheel more moveable on curves, and its easier to throw it around and back and forth. But for this instead i got a stable drive, with the ability to seat, and that on a position much higher than even on the monster....so i can forgive the high case.

So, was this the right decision for me? Yip, it was the best e-wheel wise i ever made, Kingsong really had done great improvements with the "S" series, and including the build quality and safety focus they have, i can only recommend to try out one of the S series wheel...

I am still looking out for progress and better wheels, but as the speed game is finished.(for me), as i barely reach 40kmh and thanks to Darkness Bot i could even before 1000km experience going over 40kmh, and i doubt that i will ever, ever go faster than 45kmh for longer than an experiencing second....So a 70-80kmh wheel is (for me) absolutely nonsense...thats just no speed for this type of device, especially not on 16/18 inch wheel size!

So, to give an end on this "hallelujah" post....

Keep wheeling :-)

5 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

On going diary:

I REALLY dont want to sound biased...and i can imagine that is hard to believe when my forum nickname represents the brand that i am talking about. BUT:

I am very carefuly and doubtful when geting a new wheel! After some bad faults i always have to build some trust into the new wheel, before i really put it to its paces/borders. In the beginning i always have in mind, that a small manufacturing fault can easily send me faceplanting, just one of the cables not plugged in can be enough for such a desaster!

Now, i think i have drove this wheel enough and i allreally pushed it -as hard- as i can ever imagine....

Leaning in on hills, accelerating on long steep hills, very, very hard breaking, etc etc etc.

And i have to say, this is -again: by far- the best driving and wheel behaviour i have ever meat on an unicycle!

Even on 35kmh and above, the pedals are rock hard and did not get weak/soft , even when pushing on this always crazy speed.

I have done ultra steep hills, going them slowly, fast, middle speed...the 18S takes them with in a glimpse!

Yes, i have to admit, that with a lower case, the drive behaviour would perhaps be even better, as a smaller case makes a wheel more moveable on curves, and its easier to throw it around and back and forth. But for this instead i got a stable drive, with the ability to seat, and that on a position much higher than even on the monster....so i can forgive the high case.

So, was this the right decision for me? Yip, it was the best e-wheel wise i ever made, Kingsong really had done great improvements with the "S" series, and including the build quality and safety focus they have, i can only recommend to try out one of the S series wheel...

I am still looking out for progress and better wheels, but as the speed game is finished.(for me), as i barely reach 40kmh and thanks to Darkness Bot i could even before 1000km experience going over 40kmh, and i doubt that i will ever, ever go faster than 45kmh for longer than an experiencing second....So a 70-80kmh wheel is (for me) absolutely nonsense...thats just no speed for this type of device, especially not on 16/18 inch wheel size!

I've found that the KS18S is my favorite wheel too.  I love the seated position and the only thing missing really is the trolley handle which I've not done the DIY yet.  The seat is permanent on mine so much so I think it should be glued on.  LOL  

It is difficult to imagine going faster than 40kmph as there is a lot of wind resistance to overcome.  I agree it is really stable more so than the MSuper.  But maybe I'm must not used to the Msuper yet.  I want to do a acceleration test to compare the two.  They are both 1500w motors and want to see which is quicker.  

On the group ride this past Saturday, I had to leave early.  On my way down, this girl on a bike nearly ran into me and I made this really right S maneuver that you shouldn't be able to do in the tall and larger profile of the KS18S, but I did which surprised me.  I'm vacationing in OC, MD in the US with my KS16 and wish I had brought my KS18S instead because I'm constantly hitting the 30kmph limit.  I still think the sweet spot for travel is about 35-37kmph.  

29 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

On going diary:

Nothing wrong with being biased :)  We all have our favorite wheels.

Nice follow-up review. I know that I may be tempted to get a "18L" if/when it comes out. I just prefer the short shell, if I have the option.

40 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

And remember, only due to that tall body it's possible to build the wheel as narrow as it is, whereas a mSuper v3 is much wider between your feet!

@KingSong69 good to hear u like it after u posting all those faceplant videos. trying to scare me before i even get on one. but i did break down and ordered some safety equipment because of it i'd truly be pissed if i faceplanted because of a cut out.

9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

@KingSong69 good to hear u like it after u posting all those faceplant videos. trying to scare me before i even get on one. but i did break down and ordered some safety equipment because of it i'd truly be pissed if i faceplanted because of a cut out.

If you ever had a cutout on a Ks18s ( or the "S" series" at all)....you would be the first i heard of!!!

None reported accidents like that....

On 8/23/2017 at 2:21 PM, novazeus said:

On 8/24/2017 at 5:07 PM, novazeus said:

oops, yeah of course the ks-18s seems lighter by comparison, i still have to put the battery packs in it. stoned, i guess.

yeah, now it's heavy.

7 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

On the group ride this past Saturday, I had to leave early.  On my way down, this girl on a bike nearly ran into me and I made this really right S maneuver that you shouldn't be able to do in the tall and larger profile of the KS18S, but I did which surprised me.  I'm vacationing in OC, MD in the US with my KS16 and wish I had brought my KS18S instead because I'm constantly hitting the 30kmph limit.  I still think the sweet spot for travel is about 35-37kmph.  

I don't have the KS18S, but I really like my KS18AY.  The scary part is that I'm getting so comfortable on it, that almost every time I'm out riding it, I hit the 'tilt back' (40kph) at least once during the rides. And with my tires pumped up to their max pressure of 40psi, it's much more maneuverable than most people think.  That 2.5" wide tire really grips the surface and adds to the stability. 

And I agree with you, the sweet spot does seem to be around 35-37kph. 

And don't even get me started on how durable it is.  I'll take it any day over the Gotway Monster. (And it can climb hills much better than the Gotway Monster.)

15 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Is this already in the released version of darkness bot or do you have a test version?

1 hour ago, D i c K (ie) said:

Is this already in the released version of darkness bot or do you have a test version?

beta test version....you can ask the developer to get in also...

Archived