Got my King Song KS-18S today!

eddiemoy

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Here are a few pictures of the top of the unit.  There are vents on the top that can introduce water into the unit.  There are two yellow warning labels!  The seat is supposed to be used to protect it from rain.  LOL

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

The vents are a smart idea for cooling. Is there any space below the seat for air flow or does it completely cover the vents?

If you don't want to carry around the seat constantly and are worried about rain just make up 2 little plastic covers and carry them in your pocket. If it rains they can easily be fastened over the vents with self stick Velcro. Your kitchen should have some plastic bowl covers lying around that can easily be cut to size. Black or clear would be nice!

1FUJTM1.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Did your KS18s also come with another top cover that didn't have any slots ?

At one time, Jason had convinced King Song to include the 'slotless' top covers with the wheels.  The intention was to enable a rider to put on the 'slotless' top cover if they thought they may encounter some rain or wet conditions. 

(My KS18AY from Jason came with both covers.)

no optional top cover...

33 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The vents are a smart idea for cooling. Is there any space below the seat for air flow or does it completely cover the vents?

If you don't want to carry around the seat constantly and are worried about rain just make up 2 little plastic covers and carry them in your pocket. If it rains they can easily be fastened over the vents with self stick Velcro. Your kitchen should have some plastic bowl covers lying around that can easily be cut to size. Black or clear would be nice!

1FUJTM1.jpg

there is space left when the cover is on.

52 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

there is space left when the cover is on.

Very good! KS really thought the process through! Your wheel is beautiful!  Enjoy! 

5 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I unlocked it using the online unlock tool.  it is now showing 40km/h as the speed limit.  

Interesting. So the online tool doesn't unlock the full 50km/h. I guess you really do have to ride 1,000km to get the full 50km/h (there was an FB post recently showing this).

On 7/18/2017 at 10:27 PM, eddiemoy said:

Update:  Just did another 20 minutes, clicked!  I'm able to ride sitting down now, not very stable, need more practice.  I think this is closer to how a regular unicycle feels, except with no pedaling.  Ass is sore from clenching.  Think I'm not doing it right.  Still too stiff using too many muscles to correct.  LOL

When I ride seated, I tend to leverage my hand/straight arm leaning on the front of the seat to both initially sit down, and then to control slower to mild acceleration while seated.

From my experience and every seated EUC video I've seen online, only the balls of your feet are on the pedals, not your heels (can't theorize why, but probably something to do with balance).

Turns are compensated by sliding your butt and torso to the opposite side of the turn direction.

My bum is sore from riding around today seated for 30+ minutes.  I also noticed that it takes a lot more effort to hit the same speed as the KS16.  

2 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

My bum is sore from riding around today seated for 30+ minutes.  I also noticed that it takes a lot more effort to hit the same speed as the KS16.  

Hmmmm... I find it easier to go faster seated, bum never gets sore. Think you just need to get more of the hang, get used to the sliding.

Just now, houseofjob said:

Hmmmm... I find it easier to go faster seated, bum never gets sore. Think you just need to get more of the hang, get used to the sliding.

I think it is just conditioning, or getting used to it.  Just like with the sore shins when learning to ride.  

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

From my experience and every seated EUC video I've seen online, only the balls of your feet are on the pedals, not your heels (can't theorize why, but probably something to do with balance).

Pretty sure that it has to do with the flexibility of the ankle. Shorter people will find it easier than someone with longer legs to be able to rest their foot flat on the pedals when seated. 

Try to see if you can actually flex your ankle easy enough to make the angle it would take for you to have your feet rest flat on the pedals/foot rests. 

10 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Pretty sure that it has to do with the flexibility of the ankle. Shorter people will find it easier than someone with longer legs to be able to rest their foot flat on the pedals when seated. 

Try to see if you can actually flex your ankle easy enough to make the angle it would take for you to have your feet rest flat on the pedals/foot rests. 

Hmmm... could be due to my personal body physics, but definitely not an issue of ankle flexibility; I can place my feet flat if I wanted to, but then it throws things off because you tend to want to ride like you do when riding normal standing, place weight on the feet, which is the biggest mistake of riding seated IMHO. The weight needs to be focused on the top of the seat where your bum is for the free-est of movements riding seated.

It is difficult if not impossible for me to put my feet flat when seated.  your legs is coming in at ~45% and the pedal is flat.  maybe if you sit way back in the seat, you can change the angle of your leg closer to 90% allowing the ankles to relax and having the feet flat?

I can easily put my feet flat on the pedals while seating!!!............If i cut them Off :-)

Serious: Not possible for a normal human, i always have my toes on the front of the pedals, thats it....

I like the bigger wheel, Just placed an order for the Msuper V3+...  This is an addiction!  I want the higher speed and hope Jason reflashed all the units.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I like the bigger wheel, Just placed an order for the Msuper V3+...  This is an addiction!  I want the higher speed and hope Jason reflashed all the units.

Well why not?:D Might as well have gone for a Monster if you want a big tire. But you'll keep your 18S?

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

Well why not?:D Might as well have gone for a Monster if you want a big tire. But you'll keep your 18S?

I think the monster might be too big, I want something like the KS16, but faster.  So the Msuper fits.  I think the Msuper and the KS18S will be my main wheels.  

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hehe I think once you try a Monster you might change your mind. All the wheels seem heavy and bulky until you ride them, then the size "goes away".

Not really, I do feel the KS18S is not as nimble.  Harder to turn and slower to react.  I'm able to push the KS16 to 30km/h in an instant, but the KS18S requires a lot of effort.  I still havent hit 30km/h, just 25 max so far...  Can't imagine how I can hit 40, the mex speed after unlock.

10 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Very cool. Looks a lot harder to ride sitting than standing. Congratulations on the new EUC.

Not really, I do feel the KS18S is not as nimble.  Harder to turn and slower to react.  I'm able to push the KS16 to 30km/h in an instant, but the KS18S requires a lot of effort.  I still havent hit 30km/h, just 25 max so far...  Can't imagine how I can hit 40, the mex speed after unlock.

so everyone feels it different...i have absolutly no problem to speed up and have been over 38kmh easily in one go...but i am used to 18" for a while now...

in general smaller wheels speed up faster and generate more torque...so no wonder that with the 16S , which has nearly the same power it goes or feels much faster for you.

Yesterday i received my v3 67volt back from maintenance, so i could compare it directly to the 18S...

So for an 67Volt AND 18inch...the 18S is the best and most powerfull wheel in this category (67v/18)i have ever driven! the 18s eats up the v3 in reactionary very easy... So The "S" Versions seam to be the only left competitor to the 84Volt beasts from Gotway....

Hopefully next month i meat some friends with v3s+ to compare THAT directly....but to be honest, powerwise this can not be won by a 67volt wheel, but nevertheless .... i am interested in drive behaviour comparison to the v3s+! The 18S has such a rock hard pedal setting...my normal v3 feels like a pudding to it :-)

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

so everyone feels it different...i have absolutly no problem to speed up and have been over 38kmh easily in one go...but i am used to 18" for a while now...

in general smaller wheels speed up faster and generate more torque...so no wonder that with the 16S , which has nearly the same power it goes or feels much faster for you.

Yesterday i received my v3 67volt back from maintenance, so i could compare it directly to the 18S...

So for an 67Volt AND 18inch...the 18S is the best and most powerfull wheel in this category (67v/18)i have ever driven! So The "S" Versions seam to be the only left competitor to the 84Volt beasts from Gotway....

Hopefully next month i meat some friends with v3s+ to compare THAT directly....but to be honest, powerwise this can not be won by a 67volt wheel, but nevertheless .... i am interested in drive behaviour comparison to the v3s+! The 18S has such a rock hard pedal setting...my normal v3 feels like a pudding to it :-)

Good to know about the comparison between the V3 and 18S.  I think I'm just not brave enough to lean harder into it yet.  Whereas I'm very comfortable leaning hard into the 16 to get to max quickly.  I'm sure with a few more sessions, I will be able to max out the 18S and might feel differently on the acceleration.  Maybe even on the maneuverability.  

the V3s+ and the 18S both have the same rated watts for the motor, 1500w.  Same wheel size, 18inches, so I'm not sure why one would over accelerate the other unless GW pushes to the peak for longer.  I don't see anywhere for the peak from GW, but for KS, the peak is 3600w, translate to about 40amps.  

14 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

the V3s+ and the 18S both have the same rated watts for the motor, 1500w.  Same wheel size, 18inches, so I'm not sure why one would over accelerate the other unless GW pushes to the peak for longer.  I don't see anywhere for the peak from GW, but for KS, the peak is 3600w, translate to about 40amps.  

yeah, the motor powers are the same...but with 84volts instead of 67volts its much easier to generate more Watts...and that by using less amps/stress the batterie less

Believe me, the 84volts -especially on high power situations- are a bit stronger :-)....as you will see on your v3s+!

Nevertheless i would go for a KS more than for a GW....quality is just 10times better, and the focus is on "never have a shutdown" instead of "highest performance"....

my 2 cents :-)

7 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

yeah, the motor powers are the same...but with 84volts instead of 67volts its much easier to generate more Watts...and that by using less amps/stress the batterie less

Believe me, the 84volts -especially on high power situations- are a bit stronger :-)....as you will see on your v3s+!

Nevertheless i would go for a KS more than for a GW....quality is just 10times better, and the focus is on "never have a shutdown" instead of "highest performance"....

W don't really have an insight into the motor except the power rating.  Don't really know how the motors are setup for speed or torque.  

Generally speaking given the same power, the higher the voltage, the faster you can go.  the lower the voltage, the more torque you can have, meaning more amps.  

I have to agree with you on the quality of the build.  Just comparing KS to Ninebot, it feels solid.  

27 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Totally agree. 

Not really, I do feel the KS18S is not as nimble.  Harder to turn and slower to react. 

KS18 form factor is not like any other EUC, it requires a slightly different technique to maneuver.

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

True max unlock for KS18S apparently is 50km/h, but you must ride 1,000km, can't just unlock with code (see FB post here).

Archived