Got my King Song KS-18S today!

eddiemoy

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really did unlock the speed limit but now if somebody could give me suggestions on setting these up for somebody who has never been on one. player, cycling, learner and how to set speed alarms or not?

That depends on what YOU want....

as the warnings/beeps are more or less nerving...i would suggest to set it like:

0 0 35 40

which means you still got a acoustic warning (35) before tiltback (40) sets in.

Then you can drive as fast as you want...without beiing disturbed AND you are still in all safety environment!

But again: your choice! I have my wheel at 0 0 38 45 at the moment....(just doable over 1000km or on darkness bot app!)

Just now, ir_fuel said:

Sorry to be the dumbass here, but what do you mean by "responsive"? The amount of acceleration according to your lean? I don't think my Inmotion has this, or if it has I've never looked at it.

Yeh, the delay between your input (leaning forward or backwards) and the units response to the input.  For new riders, it may be better to have it at a softer or more delayed responses.  Vs a more experienced rider wants the quicker response.  

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Sorry to be the dumbass here, but what do you mean by "responsive"? The amount of acceleration according to your lean? I don't think my Inmotion has this, or if it has I've never looked at it.

It is probably better explained as a feel, the hardest mode actually makes the peddles feel solid, almost like you are standing on the ground, a softer mode allows the peddles to move backwards and forwards to an extent more like you are standing on a thick soft rubber mat. Acceleration may not be noticeably reduced in a softer setting, but you will need to noticeably lean further forward to get a high acceleration.

People tend to favour the hardest mode on their wheel because that feels most "responsive". However, this isn't the whole story. Firstly a softer mode needs less power as the electronics do not have to work so hard on softer modes, secondly that "soft rubber mat" analogy isn't far out, on long rides over rough ground The dampening effect it has can reduce the strain on your feet and tire you out less. So it can be sensible to select the mode depending on the type of riding you are going to do that day.

Different wheels have different degrees of hardness so hard on one wheel can seem like soft on another. One thing is sure the very softest mode - often called "Learner" or "Training" mode is rarely liked by anybody and I'm not at all sure it really is any help to a learner either?

Having checked a little further the Inmotion wheels are considered to have one of the hardest rides and, as far as I can see, this isn't changeable with the Inmotion app.

On 26-8-2017 at 9:25 PM, KingSong69 said:

But again: your choice! I have my wheel at 0 0 38 45 at the moment....(just doable over 1000km or on darkness bot app!)

I also have the beta version of DarknessBot. Yesterday I tried to set the wheel to 45kph. The wheel beeped when the slider in DarknessBot was changed, and the wheel beeped to inform me the setting was changed. But when I tested, the tiltback still came in at 40kph. The maximum speed DarknessBot registered was 41,8 and the kickback was substantially there (read, impossible to go any faster). Did it just work for you, or did you try different things before the tiltback came in at 45kph? I am on 2.1(95).

11 hours ago, D i c K (ie) said:

I also have the beta version of DarknessBot. Yesterday I tried to set the wheel to 45kph. The wheel beeped when the slider in DarknessBot was changed, and the wheel beeped to inform me the setting was changed. But when I tested, the tiltback still came in at 40kph. The maximum speed DarknessBot registered was 41,8 and the kickback was substantially there (read, impossible to go any faster). Did it just work for you, or did you try different things before the tiltback came in at 45kph? I am on 2.1(95).

I have tested that as the speed on beta was still set on 50kmh...

and: I only once did go over 40( was 42) ....

but on this try I did not recognize a tiltback, while user error from me  Might still also be possible!

So perhaps must try again this evening commuting home :-( 

this are not my preferred speeds:-)

did you try to set tiltback in Darkness to 20kmh or something, just to try out if setting works in general?

6 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I have tested that as the speed on beta was still set on 50kmh...

and: I only once did go over 40( was 42) ....

but on this try I did not recognize a tiltback, while user error from me  Might still also be possible!

So perhaps must try again this evening commuting home :-( 

this are not my preferred speeds:-)

did you try to set tiltback in Darkness to 20kmh or something, just to try out if setting works in general?

Yes, I tried to set it on 28kph with darknessbot and this worked. But then I could not change it to another value with the darknessbot app. I needed the kingsong app to change it back to tiltback at 40kph...

1 hour ago, D i c K (ie) said:

Yes, I tried to set it on 28kph with darknessbot and this worked. But then I could not change it to another value with the darknessbot app. I needed the kingsong app to change it back to tiltback at 40kph...

I will try to test it again today or tomorrow...

Archived