Got my King Song KS-18S today!

eddiemoy

So Fedex finally delivered my King Song KS-18S today.  At first it looks big compared to the other wheels I have.  I got it from eWheels.com.  It came with the fast charger with voltage readout.  4amps max.  Had about 45% charge on the unit.  I charged it for 30 minutes, got up to 60%.  I rode it around my property for a bit.  It isn't difficult to ride.  I did notice the leaning back that was mentioned before when you turn.  So it is in the KS-18S also.  I'm so used to going fast, I keep on hitting the default limiter of 20km/h.  The tilt is more pronounced than on the KS-16 I have.  It is more like the ninebot the way it tilt back more dramatically.  Maybe it is because it is so much taller.  not sure.  

I spend about 20 minutes trying to learn to ride sitting down, no luck!  I dropped the unit twice already!  Jason had included some bumpers.  I think I should have put it on before trying to learn how to ride it sitting down.  It looks like it will take a bit of work to learn to ride while sitting down.  I had a tendency to over accelerate the unit when sitting.  It almost feels like learning to ride all over again.  very discouraging.  The other problem is when the unit runs away from you, you can't really catch it since the seat is on the handle.  

The speakers are much louder, but they are not clear at the highest volumes.  The turning is about the same, though I can see why some would think it is less nimble.  

Anyway, here is a picture of all my wheels so far...

IMG_2084.JPG

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:  Just did another 20 minutes, clicked!  I'm able to ride sitting down now, not very stable, need more practice.  I think this is closer to how a regular unicycle feels, except with no pedaling.  Ass is sore from clenching.  Think I'm not doing it right.  Still too stiff using too many muscles to correct.  LOL

Was able to do a left turn and ride about 200' without falling.  WOOHOO!

I notice the motor whine is louder much louder than the KS16.

Nice collection of wheels you got going there!  That KS16 looks wicked in black.  @Bryan Wells has a good collection of KS18 videos, some including tips on riding while seated.

I'm not sure if this is the video, but I recall it mentioned that it's best to sit down quickly?  Maybe Bryan or @houseofjob or @Sven can comment.

5 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Update:  Just did another 20 minutes, clicked!  I'm able to ride sitting down now, not very stable, need more practice.  I think this is closer to how a regular unicycle feels, except with no pedaling.  Ass is sore from clenching.  Think I'm not doing it right.  Still too stiff using too many muscles to correct.  LOL

Was able to do a left turn and ride about 200' without falling.  WOOHOO!

I notice the motor whine is louder much louder than the KS16.

Just take your time with riding seated!

like you said, it's kind of totally different to standing and i guess a good experience is needed to do it :-)

so the experience will come with time :-)

Bryans videos  are really great videos, but he is driving a 1,5 year old 800watt unit, which has a totally different driving behavior than the 1200Watt versions or the 18S! 

And yip: the 18S is loud...it's sounding a bit like a Star Wars Fighter :-)

Here are a few pictures of the top of the unit.  There are vents on the top that can introduce water into the unit.  There are two yellow warning labels!  The seat is supposed to be used to protect it from rain.  LOL

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

The seat does protect the wheel from the rain:P

Though I do not understand why a designer would introduce such an obvious weak spot. Looks like they just copied @KingSong69's solution (the vents) and called it a day. Which is better than nothing, but still a bit funny. Maybe this way was the only way without needing a new shell mold or something similar. Or they simply didn't do more than the necessary minimum.

--

Would you mind making some more pictures of the 18S from all the angles? There's surprisingly few photos of it (all 18 models) that show the finer details. Looks nice!

There is a video that was posted showing them water testing the top vents.  I believe there is dense foam underneath which allows air passage, but it also helps repel water ingress.  I believe @Jason McNeil posted the video up if the ol' brain cells recall correctly.

I was originally thinking they could have made sort of like a J inlet so water would have to go down and up around a curve to get in or incorporate some sort of drainage cover to allow air to flow freely, but if water were to get in it would be channeled to the side away from components so short of total water immersion it would be pretty waterproof.

I unlocked it using the online unlock tool.  it is now showing 40km/h as the speed limit.  Going to do some more riding later today.  It is over 90 degrees here in NJ.  Going to wait until it cools down a little bit before venturing out.  

35 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Here are a few pictures of the top of the unit.  There are vents on the top that can introduce water into the unit.  There are two yellow warning labels!  The seat is supposed to be used to protect it from rain.  LOL

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

I had done such an installation on my 18A myself....and i can tell you as long it is not raining cats and dogs...everything is fine and nothing will happen, as this place is between your legs and under the handle...and with foam under the slots...for dust and water!

Yes,there is a video showcasing Ks staff, pouring water over a 18ay with this slots...massive water and nothing happens!

Sure there could be better solutions....but thats china :-)

9 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Here are more pictures...  Let me know if you want any specific ones that I didn't cover.

Thanks! Not looking for anything specific, just an impression of the 18. The shell has a quite complicated shape, somehow it's hard to fathom it in its entirety.

Also, looks so shiny and new with the unused tire:wub:

btw.:

The yellow stickers....are only on the international 18S version, my chinese "ks wheel sports" 18S (printed on the pads), does not have these stickers, so only american and european seam to be afraid of the water , haha ;-)

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thanks! Not looking for anything specific, just an impression of the 18. The shell has a quite complicated shape, somehow it's hard to fathom it in its entirety.

Also, looks so shiny and new with the unused tire:wub:

don't you see all the scratches in the last photo?  lol

10 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

don't you see all the scratches in the last photo?  lol

New is new. The real sign of a no-longer-new wheel is the fine dust that you don't have (yet:P)

12 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

btw.:

The yellow stickers....are only on the international 18S version, my chinese "ks wheel sports" 18S (printed on the pads), does not have these stickers, so only american and european seam to be afraid of the water , haha ;-)

Didn't both of you order from Ali/RW Store? Oops the "Kingsong" is from ewheels.

Is there a method for getting Kingsong vs KS wheels when ordering from China? Do you have to ask for it? Chance? Can you even get "Kingsong" on Ali?

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

New is new. The real sign of a no-longer-new wheel is the fine dust that you don't have (yet:P)

Didn't both of you order from Ali/RW Store? Is there a method for getting Kingsong vs KS wheels? Do you have to ask for it? Chance?

I got mine from Jason @eWheels

17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Didn't both of you order from Ali/RW Store? Is there a method for getting Kingsong vs KS wheels? Do you have to ask for it? Chance?

Ordering a KS in china/asia gets you a "KS wheels"...thats the name under what Ks operates in asia, not only china....

As you see on the pedals=KingSong engraved, same serial number stickers.beside the pads its the same!

Thats KS price/region politics...when it is true what i have heard,  that Ks has rised the prices for "sample orders"(which means small  chinese ali-resellers are screwed!) .maybe the aliexpress door will close its door soon!

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thanks! I know it's the exact same wheels. Might just be interesting for possible app geolocking (not yet, phew) or servicing reasons to have a "Kingsong".

Servicing....you have to stay on your ali seller!

KS themself will not speak a word to you and just tell you something like: Wheel is bought from illegal source....(what should a buyer know about their "laws"?...its ridiculous...but Gw is behaving the same!)

But as i only have good experiences with my ali seller, that does not bother me!

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

IMG_2087.JPG

Did your KS18s also come with another top cover that didn't have any slots ?

At one time, Jason had convinced King Song to include the 'slotless' top covers with the wheels.  The intention was to enable a rider to put on the 'slotless' top cover if they thought they may encounter some rain or wet conditions. 

(My KS18AY from Jason came with both covers.)

Archived