Got my King Song KS-18S today!

eddiemoy

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

the lower the voltage, the more torque you can have, meaning more amps.  

no, sorry, thats a misunderstanding!

lets say you need a certain amount of power/torque/watts aka 2000 watt...

with an low voltage you have to draw much more amps than on an higher voltage....thats bad for the batterie, and no advantage at all, its more the opposite.

more amps = more torque is only valid when speaking about same voltage

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

no, sorry, thats a misunderstanding!

lets say you need a certain amount of power/torque/watts aka 2000 watt...

with an low voltage you have to draw much more amps than on an higher voltage....thats bad for the batterie, and no advantage at all, its more the opposite.

But speed/torque has to do with how the motor is wound, how many magnets, etc.  what it is made for.  Thats at least how i understand it from the bicycle hub motors.  crytalyte has motors built for hill climbing/speed or in between.  

Generally speaking given the same power, the higher the voltage, the faster you can go.  the lower the voltage, the more torque you can have, meaning more amps.  

This is clearly not true.

Less voltage, higher torque, how should that work out? What drives the amps through the motor? Yes, it's the volts that do that. The higher voltage you have at your disposal, the more amps you can push through the motor. The more amps you push through those coils, the more torque you get. The faster the motor turns, the more voltage you need to push the same amps through the motor. Now, if you use the same motor with different voltages, like Gotway does with the 67/84V wheels, you get more power and higher speed from higher voltage. However, if you compare two different motors designed for different voltages, there is no way to tell by the voltage, which motor will perform better in which discipline. It all depends on how the motor is set up, how the controller is configured, how much current the batteries can supply etc...

5 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

The same motor! Each motor has it's own force factor (torque per current), so different motors can perform under different voltages quite similarly. On the other hand, the motor doesn't care about the battery voltage, it only cares how much current is pushed through. So, yes, more  amps = more torque is true as long as it's always the same motor.

30 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

The same motor! Each motor has it's own force factor (torque per current), so different motors can perform under different voltages quite similarly. On the other hand, the motor doesn't care about the battery voltage, it only cares how much current is pushed through. So, yes, more  amps = more torque is true as long as it's always the same motor.

We are speaking about the batterie side...not the "after control board" side...where this is true!

That would mean that with batterie going down and needing more amps to produce the same amount of watts, the wheel is producing more torque, and getting better with batterie going down?

Sorry, my wheels tend to get weaker with voltage going down(and so amps going up)....

10 minutes ago, D i c K (ie) said:

Where did you guys bought your stand for the KS-18? 

Btw, I like the KS wheel logo more then the huge kingsong logo.

@KingSong69 @eddiemoyThanks for all the pictures. It makes the waiting a lot more bearable!!

Sorry, that was a gift :-) dont know where its from...

41 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Here's the link to the water testing video on the KS18 if anyone missed it:

i always have thought Jason was a bit nitpicky on that...

Its absolutly not doable to change this upper part easily...the one with the fan is connected to the board, and to take this piece away from the wheel you have to peel of part of the pads...to push that cover to the side!

And as said, this fan holes/slots are under the grip and between your legs AND are protected by foam!

Upped my limit to 35km/h and was able to hit it pretty easy in open space.  Scary at that speed.  Don't know if I will have the guts to go 40km/h!  Also getting more comfortable riding while seated. 

IMG_2109.PNG

4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

This also gets me thinking that maybe the KS16S would be perfect.  That wheel has a limit of 35km/h.

The KS16 Sport is definitely an awesome wheel. So much power, smooth ride, and everything is built-in - I love the handle and the twilight sensor.

13 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

We are speaking about the batterie side...not the "after control board" side...where this is true!

There has never been any problem concerning high currents on the battery side in any high powered wheel that I know of. That's only a problem on low powered wheels with max. two parallel cells in the battery. On the other hand, there have been quite a few problems with high currents on the motor side, especially in the Gotway 84V wheels. So why are we debating the benefits of higher voltage for the battery side of the wheel? I don't get this....

5 hours ago, Justina said:

Hi @eddiemoy,

How is the sitting on this beast going? I'm sure it's hard to make sharp turns. 

When I'm looking at your photo, the 14" Airwheel looks like a 10" wheel, haha.

Anyway, great purchase. Have a good one :-)

Going good, can't be expected to do any of the standing maneuvers.  It's only been my 4th session and already feeling comfortable going pretty fast while seated.  mainly for resting the feet and roadways.  can't imagine doing any tricks while seated.  bumps hurt the bum.  lol

18 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

This also gets me thinking that maybe the KS16S would be perfect.  That wheel has a limit of 35km/h.

Yea I am interested what your thoughts are as you get more time on 18S and how you like it compared to the KS16.  I am oscillating between buying a KS16S or 18S as my next wheel.  Since I only ride my 18" and 22" Gotway wheels I am not sure if dropping to a 16 would be something I would like anymore.  I rode an ACMS+  last weekend and it just felt very unstable compared to what I am used to.  The wheel felt short, low and fat.

So anyway, at this point of you had to only have one wheel do you think it would be the 18S or the KS16?

Hey @Duf I watched your ACM ride video recently.

I can understand that for you, a 16 incher makes little sense - all your rides are totally flat, smooth and wide paths with no obstacles, almost always pavement, not in traffic (where you might appreciate acceleration/nimbleness/lower weight for the stop-and-go or braking) etc. and you ride quite fast accordingly.

The ACM would really shine once you go a bit more complicated offroad, through thick mud puddles, higher inclines (no offense but I had to laugh at your 4th of July video for what counts as notable, named hills in Florida:) though their history is cool), narrow paths that require lots of hip maneuvering and so on. Basically anything that benefits from the higher acceleration/torque while you feel yourself through a more complicated route slower-ish-ly. Not the things you do or (looks like you) could do where you are.

Also, the ACM rides a little more differently than your bigger wheels, I believe (never rode anything else than mine so don't take this for 100% confirmed). Ideally, with the ACM you only stand on the outside of the pedals and don't touch the wheel's sides (sounds contradictory to it's big width, but isn't), which allows the wheel to move/"wobble" under you while you're steady. You manipulate it less by clenching it with the feet, but because your stance is so wide you have lots of leverage on the pedals without necessarily having to really touch the wheel anywhere else.

If I were you and would want another wheel (which technically you don't really need:P) I'd go for the 18S because it has the speed so you can keep up with Cindy when she is sit-speeding away from you on the Monster (she really seems to love that). Or maybe just a second Monster so both of you have one for speeding, but of course that's more expensive and no shiny new model.

32 minutes ago, Duf said:

Yea I am interested what your thoughts are as you get more time on 18S and how you like it compared to the KS16.  I am oscillating between buying a KS16S or 18S as my next wheel.  Since I only ride my 18" and 22" Gotway wheels I am not sure if dropping to a 16 would be something I would like anymore.  I rode an ACMS+  last weekend and it just felt very unstable compared to what I am used to.  The wheel felt short, low and fat.

So anyway, at this point of you had to only have one wheel do you think it would be the 18S or the KS16?

Hey @Duf, I used a lot of your videos to help me learn.  Thank you for all the videos!  

If I had to have one wheel right now, I would probably go with the 18S.  It just does more than the 16.  Faster, can sit, more stable at higher speeds.  The only thing I give the 16 is it is more portable and easier to bring into stores as there isn't a trolley handle on the 18S.  

When you get the 18S, I think many would want a video comparing the 18S to the Monster.  I know I would want you and Cindy to have a race.  LOL

Hey @Duf, I used a lot of your videos to help me learn.  Thank you for all the videos!  

If I had to have one wheel right now, I would probably go with the 18S.  It just does more than the 16.  Faster, can sit, more stable at higher speeds.  The only thing I give the 16 is it is more portable and easier to bring into stores as there isn't a trolley handle on the 18S.  

When you get the 18S, I think many would want a video comparing the 18S to the Monster.  I know I would want you and Cindy to have a race.  LOL

Yea I think for the way we ride, an 18S may be a better fit.  A side by side comparison/race would be some pretty interesting footage. :)   I can't believe it will be much different than riding the monster height-wise

11 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

bumps hurt the bum.  lol

Seated riding is the best for [absorbing] bumps!

You can either slightly stand up on the pedals right before to absorb them, because you end up just sitting right back down,

...or....

I also stiff arm the front of the seat, and the same result, sit right back down (same stiff arm I use to do mild-medium accelerations).

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Seated riding is the best for [absorbing] bumps!

You can either slightly stand up on the pedals right before to absorb them, because you end up just sitting right back down,

...or....

I also stiff arm the front of the seat, and the same result, sit right back down (same stiff arm I use to do mild-medium accelerations).

Hey, you have both the monster and the KS18, which one is taller? The specs say the ks18 is 50cm or  about 20 inches, but when I measured mine it is 28 inches high.  The monster specs say it is 66cm or 26 inches high.  

2 hours ago, Duf said:

Yea I think for the way we ride, an 18S may be a better fit.  A side by side comparison/race would be some pretty interesting footage. :)   I can't believe it will be much different than riding the monster height-wise

How tall is the monster with the seat?  The ks18 is a little over 27 inches with the seat.  

19 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Hey, you have both the monster and the KS18, which one is taller? The specs say the ks18 is 50cm or  about 20 inches, but when I measured mine it is 28 inches high.  The monster specs say it is 66cm or 26 inches high.  

Monster with seat is 27" high.

I like to ride seated on my KS18AY, but always not easy to slow down or stop, anyone know how to stop better when seated?

Thanks 

Peter

13 minutes ago, Peter Q said:

I like to ride seated on my KS18AY, but always not easy to slow down or stop, anyone know how to stop better when seated?

Lean your torso and or, slide your butt around the seat (i.e. don't just stay in the same place on the seat).

Archived