Rywokast

Hey all, new member here from BC Canada, been perusing these forums for a little while now and found them very insightful, just over a week ago I decided to take the plunge into the world of electric unicycles. I decided to go with the ninebot one C+ (only because I found one for 300 dollars cheaper than the E+ and I wasn't even sure if I would like it) but I must say it's been the most fun i've ever had! I have been taking it literally everywhere around the city, off roading and exploring places i've never been to before simply because it is so much fun.. Now that being said, I have already decided to upgrade and purchased the inmotion V8 after doing a lot of reading on it, I think it will be perfect for me.. constantly fighting the speed limiter on the C+ and I have drained the battery fully every day since getting it a week ago so would like something with a better battery. The reason I chose the V8 is because it is a good mid-range model with a battery good enough to get me anywhere I need to go and back in my city but the speed/engine is good enough so that I won't be fighting the limiter constantly, while at the same time not so ludicrous that I will be tempted to go 30 miles an hour and kill myself haha because I don't wear any protection and don't plan on it. Also some of the features that are lacking on the ninebot such as a handle to walk it, kill switch, and headlight will be much appreciated and I can't wait to not have to lug around 30 lbs in stores, crowded places etc. Also I would like to add for anyone else here in Victoria possibly looking at getting an electric unicycle that I have had no problems with the authorities whatsoever, had dozens of police pass me without a second look and this was without any lights or protection whatsoever.. so I don't think that will be any problem at all, which is what I was slightly worried about before deciding to get it. Anyways just wanted to say hey and thanks for all of the useful information that people have contributed on these forums and for helping to convince me to pull the trigger on this hobby (it's the only thing that will get me outdoors) :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the one wheeled community!  :thumbup:

Regarding protective gear, there are basically three camps.  Group one (The Skin Savers let's call them) are the ones who wisely wear helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, and wrists guards because they value their health, know that accidents will happen and want to ride another day.

Group two (The Skin Donors) ride until they have a bad accident to then decide to get geared up.  These are the fearless until they get bitten by the gravel gator that lurks beneath them riders.

Group three (The Hopelessly Scarred) don't need no stinkin' protective gear because they are East Coast Muthafu.... ah... fast healers.  :innocent1:

Which group do you want to belong to?  :efef927839:

18 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Regarding protective gear, there are basically three camps.  Group one (The Skin Savers let's call them) are the ones who wisely wear helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, and wrists guards because they value their health, know that accidents will happen, and want to ride another day.

Group two (The Skin Donors) ride until they have a bad accident to then decide to get geared up.  These are the fearless until they get bitten by the gravel gator that lurks beneath them riders.

Group three (The Hopelessly Scarred) don't need no stinkin' protective gear because they are East Coast Muthafu.... ah... fast healers.  :innocent1:

Thanks :) ohhh ouch that video looked very painful, though riding in the dark going backwards at high speed while filming is just asking for it >.> I suspect that I would be in group two, because I'm not doing to be doing any stunts or trying anything stupid, although there is a reason they call it an accident haha.. but it's usually pretty cold here so im wearing two jackets and pants most of the time. Though I may decide to invest in some wrist guards when the new higher speed uni gets here but isn't it pretty hard to eat pavement when you're already standing up? Unless of course you're going very fast or doing some tricks..

I ate pavement going super slow on melting ice once.  :crying:  My wristguards, kneepads and elbow padded jacket helped.   Just look what happened to this newb.  :whistling:  ;)

I like to think of wearing protective gear is similar to using a seat belt.  It doesn't guarantee that you won't get hurt, but in the rare case that you do need it, you're very thankful that you did!

Hi! Lucky you got your V8 while they're still available in North America.

It's not just accidents, but the maybe non-neglegible possibility of the wheel electronics failing in some way (cut out). You get dumped instantly with ZERO chance of running it out or whatever possibility of saving it. Then, only what protection you wear matters. I'm way more scared of hardware failure than any self-caused crashes. Even if the chance is tiny.

44 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I ate pavement going super slow on melting ice once.  :crying:  My wristguards, kneepads and elbow padded jacket helped.   Just look what happened to this newb.  :whistling:  ;)

I like to think of wearing protective gear is similar to using a seat belt.  It doesn't guarantee that you won't get hurt, but in the rare case that you do need it, you're very thankful that you did!

Ouch!! Glad you were able to walk away from that one thought you might have broken your neck for a second.. yea I guess it's always a better idea to have protection and not need it heh

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hi! Lucky you got your V8 while they're still available in North America.

It's not just accidents, but the maybe non-neglegible possibility of the wheel electronics failing in some way (cut out). You get dumped instantly with ZERO chance of running it out or whatever possibility of saving it. Then, only what protection you wear matters. I'm way more scared of hardware failure than any self-caused crashes. Even if the chance is tiny.

Yes actually I got one from an Ebay store in Quebec, was the only one I could find in North America and very glad I did because paying crazy shipping/import fees and waiting a month or more sucks lol... Good point, haven't taken a hardware malfunction or something like that into consideration.. which I suspect could be even worse because you would have even less warning

On 7/16/2017 at 7:42 PM, Rywokast said:

Ouch!! Glad you were able to walk away from that one thought you might have broken your neck for a second.. yea I guess it's always a better idea to have protection and not need it heh

I'd like to be able to take credit for that spectacular crash, but that was the famous @Marty Backe!  And I was just kiddin' about the newb comment.  :whistling:  Gotta poke fun at those veteran members now and then!  :laughbounce2:

When you getting some merch, Marty?  How about some cool T-shirts with "AC/DC Backe in Black" or "BrokeBacke Mountain Survivor" or "Backe from the Future" or "Ride like a Backe Savage!" or "Gotway or the Highway!" or "Gotwaysmacked!"  Always plug!  Like 'n subscribe!  :efefd0f676:

So @Rywokast, you just want to tool around and enjoy the wheel like we all do, but with no protection? I only offer this example because you are new. When you have some serious miles under your belt do as you wish. I certainly ride with plenty of guys that don't gear up and it doesn't bother me. But you should understand what you're getting into.

Here's a guy that certainly isn't pushing any boundaries. Does it look like he had a fun day?

Oooh that guy ( @HonestPizza ) had a nasty landing that broke his collarbone when his Ninebot cut out.  I think he had just swapped out his OEM tire for a fancier one so that cutout might have been related to that?  The last I heard they were looking at accident/injury lawyers to go after Ninebot.

I think maybe if he had wristguards on with the palm skid pads he might have used his arms more to help cushion the fall rather than land square on his shoulder?  Hard to say.  I don't think even my padded shoulder motorcycle jacket would prevent that fracture if I landed on it that way.

42 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Oooh that guy ( @HonestPizza ) had a nasty landing that broke his collarbone when his Ninebot cut out.  I think he had just swapped out his OEM tire for a fancier one so that cutout might have been related to that?  The last I heard they were looking at accident/injury lawyers to go after Ninebot.

I think maybe if he had wristguards on with the palm skid pads he might have used his arms more to help cushion the fall rather than land square on his shoulder?  Hard to say.  I don't think even my padded shoulder motorcycle jacket would prevent that fracture if I landed on it that way.

BTW, the point of the video is to show that even while riding a wheel at conservative speeds, s*!t happens and you can get injured. Why not add some protection to better your odds?

Yes, regardless of what you wear you can still injure yourself. That, in my opinion, does not negate the positive attributes of protection.

Besides, it can look cool ;)

32503067856_0dfcb754e3_b.jpg

20 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Regarding protective gear, there are basically three camps.  

Group one (The Skin Savers let's call them) are the ones who wisely wear helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, and wrists guards because they value their health, know that accidents will happen, and want to ride another day.

I can only advise to join Group One...

The video is a good example...shit may happen...wheel just stops working then, a no chance to react!

So join group one, please :-) 

And....welcome to the Forum btw

Ninebot C+.....Inmotion V8.....i sense a this will not be the last wheel :-)

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

I can only advise to join Group One...

The video is a good example...shit may happen...wheel just stops working then, a no chance to react!

So join group one, please :-) 

And....welcome to the Forum btw

Ninebot C+.....Inmotion V8.....i sense a this will not be the last wheel :-)

Yes, welcome to the forum and prepare for more and more fun.

And start saving your pennies for a Gotway to ride once you've reached the limits of the V8 (which is a very nice wheel that I continue to be tempted to buy) :D  I'm a big Gotway fan btw. Unapologetic. 

21 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I have taken some fairly hard falls on black ice just walking.  You get that thin layer of ice on asphalt and you can't even see it ... but it sure is slippery enough to launch you at a good speed!

Also, Rywokast -- if it's how bulky safety items are, it's not an all or nothing choice.  Maybe it's wise to use a helmet but you don't always have the desire or room/ability to carry one around ... you could still wear some gloves, which generally aren't terrifically bulky and could fit in lots of jacket pockets/backpacks or whatever.  Consider going partway even if you don't go full bore on the safety gear?

Okay these videos and comments have convinced me to get some safety gear.. don't want to end up in the hospital >.> 

3 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

Okay these videos and comments have convinced me to get some safety gear.. don't want to end up in the hospital >.> 

Great. Check out all the info in our most recent addition to the forum:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/58-riding-safety-and-protective-gear/

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So @Rywokast, you just want to tool around and enjoy the wheel like we all do, but with no protection? I only offer this example because you are new. When you have some serious miles under your belt do as you wish. I certainly ride with plenty of guys that don't gear up and it doesn't bother me. But you should understand what you're getting into.

Here's a guy that certainly isn't pushing any boundaries. Does it look like he had a fun day?

If you put the cursor at .07 and keep hitting the mouse button, you can watch the crash over and over, and you still won't know what happened.  Not sure if it's a cutoff or hitting a bump.

3 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Ride wheel, be wheel 

- Buddah and Jesus probably

Luckily you got away without learning the age old saying "Break axle, break bone" ;)

Sorry if this is too soon, just came to my mind, no malicious intent, I'll see myself out...:whistling:

Welcome! I had a Ninebot One C+ for about a or two month before getting an upgrade.  Yeh, the 12mph limit is easy to hit.  That video of the E+ failing is very scary!

Also welcome to the forum. I own an E+ and I used to go out on it without protection too. It was after seeing this video on the forum I decided to never go out on it again without helmet and hand protection. I use these gloves. I think they are not really protecting my wrists, more the skin on my hands. I also have rollerblade wristguards, but I have the feeling they would break my lower arm if I would fall with those on... 

Let's hope we never need them, but the more I ride, the better I come, but the more I have the feeling that I will need them one day...

Archived