This site is freaking me out a little....

rdalcanto

15 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You're a surgeon?  :blink:  And you want to ride downhill on a self-balancing, single wheeled made-in-China vehicle when your hands are everything?  Gulp!

Please, keep it real. I broke my hand playing football (the European kind) and riding a bicycle. I did not break my hand riding an EUC and quite likely won't in future. Are you suggesting surgeons should not play football or ride bicycles? 

I use the same protection gear like when I go running. For me it is precisely the same speed range, between 5km/h and (rarely) 25km/h, so it is the same protection gear. Of course, active safety is important, which means to conservatively adjust speed to the situation, practice emergency braking, and be ready to separate from the wheel (run it off) any time, in particular under heavy acceleration.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I will try to put some information about current direction in the watch. Perhaps using some color code. Watch screen is not very big.

Just a question, do you prefer seing the current/power with direction coded in color or the time you have been running in the watch?. Really distance is OK but time...

8 minutes ago, Paco Gorina said:

OK I will try to put some information about current direction in the watch. Perhaps using some color code. Watch screen is not very big.

Just a question, do you prefer seing the current/power with direction coded in color or the time you have been running in the watch?. Really distance is OK but time...

Eh, are you talking to me? Current direction? Well, colour would be best I think, easy to see with a glance. time duration would be good too if possible, but if it switches into and out of regenerative mode frequently, time may not mean much unles it is cumulative ( adds up). That way we could see how much total regenerative time we had on a certain hill. And total regenerative current would be brilliant. 

8 hours ago, Mono said:

Please, keep it real. I broke my hand playing football (the European kind) and riding a bicycle. I did not break my hand riding an EUC and quite likely won't in future. Are you suggesting surgeons should not play football or ride bicycles? 

I use the same protection gear like when I go running. For me it is precisely the same speed range, between 5km/h and (rarely) 25km/h, so it is the same protection gear. Of course, active safety is important, which means to conservatively adjust speed to the situation, practice emergency braking, and be ready to separate from the wheel (run it off) any time, in particular under heavy acceleration.

Reality is over-rated.  I prefer my version of how the world should be.  Trust me - it's even better than the real thing.  Yes I am totally suggesting that smart surgeons should not play football, drive cars or ride bicycles, and they should just stay home protected in bubbles for their own safety.  Skip that part about weighing the risks and benefits.  Just don't do it.  :innocent1:

Further to this, if you understand how much training, time, money, and hard work goes into becoming a physician and then specializing in a surgical field you might believe that they should think twice about their health.  Then again maybe you wouldn't.  I don't know you, but for me personally I tend to think three or four or more times about the what ifs.  I've never broken a bone in my body thank goodness.  I still ride my EUC.  I understand the risks, and the fun factor is worth it for me.

<Putting on my Captain Obvious hat> People are of course free to do whatever they want with their lives and free time, and they need to live with the consequences of their decisions.  </hat> Are EUCs safe for the most part?  Sure, just like riding a moped is kinda safe.  There's a lot more to it under the surface in terms of theory with an EUC, but it's fun to ride.  Fun and a little risky.

25 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Further to this, if you understand how much training, time, money, and hard work goes into becoming a physician and then specializing in a surgical field

no worries, I do have some vague idea about that as I am physician. I am pretty sure though you are not a surgeon.

For Regenerative Braking...anytime the wheel is breaking (not just downhill) allows it to charge.  Frequently I will have a friend pull me on his road bike holding on to his bike lock as a ski handle of sorts. The breaking I do to slow him down and make him work is enough to charge my wheel noticeably pretty quick.

@rdalcantoAnd, as for surgeon...good for you for diving into the bleeding world of Personal Transportation Devices. The amount of fun you're going to have on your Ninebot will make you want to spend more time riding and less in the operating room.  BUT, always wear your helmet and wrist guards!!!!    

I am a personal fitness trainer and massage therapist, in addition to being extremely athletic and fit. I have ridden first an X3 for 3 months then an X8 for 15 months, a Solowheel Xtreme for 4 months and I just orderded an Inmotion V8. In the close to 2 years I've been on 1 wheel (without safety equipment for much of it) I've ridden hard and fast and been a "daredevil." I became comfortable being thrown off or it cutting out on steep hills because I always landed on my feet (and never needed to touch my hands to the ground...until 2 weeks ago).  Doing nothing spectacular on an incline my wheel decided to cut out and I wasn't ready for it. Hit both hands and luckily had a writst guard on my left. Sprained my right wrist and thumb and am lucky I didn't break my Scaphoid or worse.   My left wasn't even sore because I had my brace on.

Moral of the story: You may not need to wear wrist guards and a helmet riding your Ninebot (because they're really reliable and maybe you're a young, fit and cocky athlete like myself), but on the off chance you do fall (and in all likelihood you will at some point, we all do) you will be thankful that you had your braces on (and so will your support staff).

Have fun! I'd love to see a picture of you on your wheel!

1 hour ago, Mono said:

no worries, I do have some vague idea about that as I am physician. I am pretty sure though you are not a surgeon.

That's the same thing that my patients keep telling me for some reason.  Geez... well at least the ones who survive the procedure do.   :smartass:  It does say "Pretty Good Surgeon" on my degree that I printed out.  I've completed both advanced surgery 1 and surgery level 2.  Can you say the same?

http://armorgames.com/play/3775/amateur-surgeon

http://www.adultswim.com/games/web/amateur-surgeon-2

In any case, physicians make for the worst patients.  They act like they know everything which they probably do, but that's the problem.  :whistling:  BTW, you might want to "re-surgerize" your "I am physician" part as I think there's an "a" missing.  :innocent1:   The devil is in the details!  :P  And there I was thinking all this time that you just had a bad case of mononucleosis.  My bad!

Okay... All of you, just stop! 

You're scaring @rdalcanto unnecessarily...

The key point was made by Smoother...

On 14/12/2016 at 8:17 PM, Smoother said:

There are two types of EUC riders those who have had an injury or three, and those who haven't, yet.

What wasn't highlighted is that, while some EUC riders have had injuries, they are still EUC riders - because wheeling is just awesome, and after an injury it is usually just a matter of time before you're back on your wheel.

And that is why we all do it - surgeon or architect - we just want to enjoy our world. And this is a great way to enjoy it! 

THAT was the key point !

I thought $10,000,000 in potential lifetime lost income had a slightly bigger impact. ?

Anyway. OP is already shopping for a second wheel, so he's made his mind up.  What ever he chose was right for him.  We all pointed out various pros and cons, so our job is done. At least he will never be able to say " but, nobody told me....." With a whine in his voice.  We are here to assist, inform, share, and in the case of @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Entertain.  And it's all here in this one thread.

our work is done.

wheel in the next sucker, I mean player.?

On 13.12.2016 at 6:35 AM, rdalcanto said:

My concern now is that I live up a 1.5 mile long hill, over 400 ft high, with some steep grades around 12-15% thrown in.  That means that if I want to go anywhere with my EUC, I will be going down a long hill right from the start.  Will this work with a full battery?  I know it can't use regen to slow me down when the battery is full.  Can it power the motor in reverse to brake for me?  Will that cause anything to overheat and shut down unexpectedly?  Maybe I should have just bought a hover board and been happy riding that inside my house....  I have gone from so excited that I couldn't sleep last night, to freaked out in the last hour.  I would appreciate any and all wisdom from the members here.  Thanks.

Look, I'll prove you below that all e-wheelers are smokers, and give you a recommendation at the end:

You could borrow a KS18 from a friend and do a downhill with 50 km/h.

Then you would know that a cutout with your Ninebot One C+ is not that bad !

Also be aware that any wheel increases the probability of a sudden lumbago, because the unnatural standing around for several hours on the same place shaking your spine is poison for your intervertebral disks.

We e-wheelers know all that, but we are addicts (which comes from smoking a lot).

So we e-wheelers are not the healthiest part of the population, you should know that before you buy one!

The only recommendation I can give you, if you start riding EUC's and also want to have fun:

You must be a smoker, sign a testament and abandon all hope to reach an age which allows you to reproduce yourself !

Cheers, htg

PS:  I didn't mention exactly, WHAT we smoke ...

And, as for surgeon...good for you for diving into the bleeding world of Personal Transportation Devices. The amount of fun you're going to have on your Ninebot will make you want to spend more time riding and less in the operating room. 

Well Tim, it depends.

If a surgeon starts riding Ninebots, it could easily be that he will spend MORE time in the operating room after that. It's always a question of the viewpoint ... :D

It has been said many time but worth having a refresher...

Don't get complacent, as over confidence hurts.  As with what @Tim Koffler mentioned earlier you can go a very long time without having an accident but it will happen sooner or later, you may start off wearing pads but as time goes by you may decide that you no longer need them.  Then wham'mo, you rolled the dice and hit jackpot.

I know this girl who used to wear a helmet, elbow and knee pads.  Then got over confident and decided not to wear them anymore.  Few weeks went by and all was well.  One day while being extra complacent and not being mindful she hard accelerated with low battery power and the wheel shut down due to the sudden spike in battery draw.  She faceplanted and smacked her head on the concrete path she was on.  Didn't regain consciousness until she arrived at the hospital where she was surrounded by strangers as she also suffered 4 hours of memory loss.

@chuts. Thanks for that sobering reminder. I hope your friend made a full recovery.

I have ridden a Few times w/o my pads and I did feel vulnerable. Put it all back on Asap.  A low battery power surge spike dumped me on my derrière about a month ago, and despite wrist guards, my left wrist is just now almost normal again.

10 hours ago, Smoother said:

I thought $10,000,000 in potential lifetime lost income had a slightly bigger impact.

That certainly depends on the basic income in the first place, so it's in general a no. It is rather the opposite: to be out of business for 3 month for injury has the more impact on your life the less money you earn in the first place, hence the more money you are bound to lose in these 3 months the less impact it is likely to have. Putting it differently: you can only go on a sabbatical (whether it is for injury or for different reasons) if you can effort it. So if the effect is as large as $10 million, the money point becomes pretty much irrelevant in the decision making.

7 hours ago, Chuts said:

It has been said many time but worth having a refresher...

Don't get complacent, as over confidence hurts.

That is indeed so, always good to remember. 

As with what @Tim Koffler mentioned earlier you can go a very long time without having an accident but it will happen sooner or later,

That might be likely, but it is not a certainty. Riding a bicycle, I have an accident (meaning: unexpected dismount of any kind) about every 3000km, though I never fell on my head, ever. It looks like my record with an EUC could become about similar.

Didn't regain consciousness until she arrived at the hospital where she was surrounded by strangers as she also suffered 4 hours of memory loss.

If I knew for sure that this were the only consequence of my worst accident in future, I would start to become very, very confident.

10 hours ago, Smoother said:

.... We are here to assist, inform, share, and in the case of @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Entertain.  And it's all here in this one thread.

Not trying to be argumentative, but actually I'm here to pick up hot chicks.  :innocent1:  Bring on the hot chicks.  Where they be?  :cry2:   I'm pretty sure most of you are not hot chicks.  :crying:  I do admit that riding on one wheel does bring out my "inner clown" so that might help explain my nature.  Historically speaking, unicycles were very popular with the circus crowd, and I remember watching clowns ride around while juggling so that does explain a few things.

As a fellow surgeon who likes pretending to be a surgeon :whistling:, I would be remiss if I didn't try to warn others new to this technology of some of the hazards of riding.  Many people do not factor in the risks and potential accidents that can occur which can lead to income loss, disability, impaired fine motor function, etc.  They just see the fun and cool side of it.  Let's not sugar coat things too much.  I like to place riding an EUC in the same family of activities such as parachuting, bungee jumping, sex without a condom.  All fun activities to be sure, but they are not without dangers and problems.  

That being said, as long as people ride safely, understand the theory, and wear some protective garments I think some of the risks can be mitigated for the most part.  Keep in mind though that even veteran riders can have accidents (looking at you @Cloud - my medical file records are getting full) so it's really not entirely safe.  I want to help grow and nurture this activity as much as the next person, but some people have inherently more to lose in the event of an accident so they have to take that into account when riding.

@rdalcanto....

The ninebot one c+ is a poorly powered wheel... be careful that the safety speed depends on the power and your weight! 

After my accident on my ninebot last February,  my humerus has just been declared... repaired by my surgeon this afternoon.... it still hurt... but I have recovered all movements... I just need some more strength!

So... be carefully and do not forget that slow speed and high power are your safety!

Have fun!

5814ac3c88b9a_vitessedescurit.png.021148683bd835cc19eb888cbdc018c0.png

13 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

s.  :innocent1:  Bring on the hot chicks.  Where they be?  :cry2:   I'm pretty sure most of you are not hot chicks

Your avatar use to be a hot chick! Now look at you!:laughbounce2:

After a couple days on my Ninebot, and a lot of time reading on this forum, I feel less nervous.  It seems that with a good unit, if you pay attention to battery levels, warning beeps, and pedal tilt back, you shouldn't have a shut down.  I have now ordered an Inmotion V8 as well, and will probably set the speed limit a couple mph below the limit of the wheel for added safety.  Has there been a poll looking at who has had a major crash with NORMAL RIDING and who has not? 

2 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

I have now ordered an Inmotion V8 as well, and will probably set the speed limit a couple mph below the limit of the wheel for added safety.  Has there been a poll looking at who has had a major crash with NORMAL RIDING and who has not? 

Setting the limit at only a couple mph below max is probably not enough to give you the safety margin you seek. I'd say 70% of max is more like it.

Crashes happen for any number of reasons, shutdowns being only a relatively small percentage of them, and I would bet that there is not a single person on this forum (who has ridden wheels for any length of time) who has never crashed. It is going to happen to every EUC rider one day, no matter how many steps they have taken to avoid it. There will always be one pothole in the road you just don't see in time. So don't worry, but also don't forget your body armour :) 

On 15 December 2016 at 7:37 PM, Mono said:

That certainly depends on the basic income in the first place, so it's in general a no. It is rather the opposite: to be out of business for 3 month for injury has the more impact on your life the less money you earn in the first place, hence the more money you are bound to lose in these 3 months the less impact it is likely to have. Putting it differently: you can only go on a sabbatical (whether it is for injury or for different reasons) if you can effort it. So if the effect is as large as $10 million, the money point becomes pretty much irrelevant in the decision making.

This time I have to disagree with you. You are 100% wrong.  It's a well known fact that most people in the west, and especially America, spend as much as they earn.  Savings are almost none existent.  A professional earning $200,000.00 a year inThe US will usually be spending almost $200,000.000 or even more thanks to easy access to credit.  Don't  let the big house, and the lake house, and the country house, and the fancy cars, and the boats and the kids in private schools fool you.  All this is being paid for by loans, which are being serviced by last months pay check.  Loose the income and the bills start mounting up fast.  It's called living pay check to pay check , and yes the wealthy do it too.  Of course one can sell off the assets, but if the assets are in a negative equity situation which they often are, then the value is less that the Money owed.  Answer, walk away from the asset and have it repossessed.  There goes your credit rating and just when you need it most.  This exact scenario has plagued the west and specifically America for decades.  Every 10 or 15 years or so there is another boom and bust cycle,. People borrow up to the hilt, and banks just love to lend it because that's where they make their money, then things go south, and suddenly every other house in a certain town is being repossessed because mr and Mrs "doing really well" weren't doing so well after all.

12 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Setting the limit at only a couple mph below max is probably not enough to give you the safety margin you seek. I'd say 70% of max is more like it.

I would say, that depends strongly on the wheel.

The official limit on a Kingsong KS16 is 30 km/h, and the app allows to set it to this maximum, not more.  After I rode it for ~300 kilometers, I turned off the first 2 alarms, and set the 3rd alarm and also the tiltback to 30 km/h.

I rode it meanwhile for more than 1600 kilometers, on all sort of terrains, meadows, asphalt, gravelroads, hiking trails, up- and downhill, and had not a single incident where the wheel turned itself off (app display showed once I even rode at 39 km/h, that was the max speed I saw until now).

So I believe, the real maxspeed of the wheel is above 40 km/h, and until now I don't see a reason to set it's limits below the official 30 km/h.

12 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Crashes happen for any number of reasons, shutdowns being only a relatively small percentage of them, and I would bet that there is not a single person on this forum (who has ridden wheels for any length of time) who has never crashed. It is going to happen to every EUC rider one day, no matter how many steps they have taken to avoid it. There will always be one pothole in the road you just don't see in time.

So don't worry, but also don't forget your body armour :) 

Right, the only faceplant which happened to me until now was, when I entered a leaves-covered gully between grass and asphalt. The wheel fell into it, and I was thrown forward onto the asphalt. Thanks God, as you write above, I had a helmet, gloves and ellbow protection. So I also recommend from experience some body armor. :)

7 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

I would say, that depends strongly on the wheel.

The limit on a Kingsong KS16 is 30 km/h.  After I rode it for ~300 kilometers, I turned off the first 2 alarms, and set the 3rd alarm and also the tiltback to 30 km/h.

I rode it meanwhile for more than 1600 kilometers, on all sort of terrains, meadows, asphalt, gravelroads, hiking trails, up- and downhill, and had not a single incident where the wheel turned itself off (app display showed once I even rode at 39 km/h, that was the max speed I saw until now).

So I believe, the real maxspeed of the wheel is above 40 km/h, and until now I don't see a reason to set it's limits below the official 30 km/h.

I agree. And indeed 30 kph limit you have set is about 70% of the 40 kph you think that wheel can do. I have a similar setup for my MS3 - can do 50 (unloaded), so I limit to 35, and like you, have never had an issue...

Having said that, it's not often I reach the 35 - I average about 20, so am quite relaxed about the safety margin I have, most of the time I'm riding...

I set my ks14c at the max 30 kmh and around 26 or 27 I got a 80% violent tilt back that almost threw me down the road.  I say 80% because I got a stronger one once that did throw me down the road.  Still have a slightly bum wrist to remember it by.

i still jump every time that damn beeper goes off, now. ?

Archived