Malfunction...

Chris Westland

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your accident was due to a hardware malfunction, many of us would be interested because it may have relevance to our own wheels. And now that I'm writing this, even if it was your mistake, we can all learn something. Don't leave us hanging, and hope you have a fast recovery.

My own malfunction (and it's hard to type with this sling).  Thank you all for well wishes.  I love my IPS Zero and there was no fault with it.  I caught the right platform on a curb, it spun the EUC, the torque moment @90 degrees dropped me into the pavement.  That simple.  I've fallen harder before, and wasn't really hurt except that my shoulder was pushed out of its socket.  It hurt like the devil until they yanked it back into place at ER.  Anyway, no riding for a few weeks.:(

17 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

My own malfunction (and it's hard to type with this sling).  I love my IPS Zero and there was no fault with it.  I caught the right platform on a curb, it spun the EUC, the torque moment @90 degrees dropped me into the pavement.  That simple.  I've fallen harder before, and wasn't really hurt except that my shoulder was pushed out of its socket.  It hurt like the devil until they yanked it back into place at ER.  Anyway, no riding for a few weeks.:(

Well that's good to hear. The last thing you want is to lose confidence in your wheel. A good lesson - maintain situational awareness regards to your pedals. Funny, my worst injury (minor sprang) was falling to the ground when performing too tight of a turn at about 0 mph - I think I understeared, if that's a term.

Glad to hear that I'm not the first... absolutely right about situational awareness.  I'm hoping for a problem free recovery, as "winter is coming" and I'd like to get a bit more time in before it gets cold and icy.   On the IPS Zero, I'm a big fan, and up to this point cannot find any fault with my wheel.  I'd highly recommend it!

1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

Anyway, no riding for a few weeks.:(

I'm hoping for a problem free recovery, as "winter is coming" and I'd like to get a bit more time in before it gets cold and icy. 

Now the physicians amongst us (not including @Hunka Hunka Burning Love - he's a fraud) may not agree, but...

There could be some in this forum that may have wheeled, even while in plaster.

Just make sure you lean to the right (?) so that - should you have a mishap - you fall toward the good shoulder!  :rolleyes:

BTW - have you seen my elbow? 

PSX_20161030_122026.jpg

Glad to hear that I'm not the first... absolutely right about situational awareness.  I'm hoping for a problem free recovery, as "winter is coming" and I'd like to get a bit more time in before it gets cold and icy.

Glad your ok! Don't worry about the snow and ice diminishing your riding time! Just watch a few @EUC Extreme videos and you will be good to go!?

6 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Is that your elbow? Nice repair? New Zealand does have modern medicine?

56 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Now the physicians amongst us (not including @Hunka Hunka Burning Love - he's a fraud) may not agree, but...

:o  Fraud is such a harsh word!  As well as traitor!  :huh:  My certificate would tend to disagree with you.  -_-  And ahem, that would be Dr. Hunkahunkaburninglove.  Tension band figure of eight wire fixation (TBW) is considered the gold standard with olecranon fractures although subjective complaints of the subcutaneous positioning of the hardware can be common.  :P  It looks like they wisely chose to perform transcortical K wire placement (medical term - metal osseous tent spike) instead of intramedullary placement.

Here's a handy do it yourself PDF for you non-doctor types:

https://aotrauma.aofoundation.org/Structure/education/educational-programs/operating-room-personnel/Documents/FSP_ORP_Handout_English_Tension band_Final.pdf

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Just make sure you lean to the right (?) so that - should you have a mishap - you fall toward the good shoulder!  :rolleyes:

PSX_20161030_122026.jpg

Is that #8 wire I see in the x-ray?:lol:

21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:o  Fraud is such a harsh word!  As well as traitor!  :huh:  My certificate would tend to disagree with you.  -_-  And ahem, that would be Dr. Hunkahunkaburninglove.  Tension band figure of eight wire fixation (TBW) is considered the gold standard with olecranon fractures although subjective complaints of the subcutaneous positioning of the hardware can be common.  :P

BTW that one spikey thing (medical term: metal osteo tent spike) they didn't angle correctly so it's sticking out.  I just happen to know a good medical malpractice lawyer who you can consult with for a small fee.

Minions elscooter , soon Minions EUC 2 ?    :lol:

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

PSX_20161030_122026.jpg

That's the spirit, and the pic gives you bragging rights!!

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Glad your ok! Don't worry about the snow and ice diminishing your riding time! Just watch a few @EUC Extreme videos and you will be good to go!?

I love the video ...wow is he fast.  This guy has to be Russian, with the metal spikes in the tire and 30mph runs. It looks like a version of Russian Speedway Ice Racing but with only one wheel... and even more extreme

12 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

I love the video ...wow is he fast.  This guy has to be Russian, with the metal spikes in the tire and 30mph runs. It looks like a version of Russian Speedway Ice Racing but with only one wheel...

He is @EUC Extreme from Finland and has a lot of great videos.  It's amazing what he has done, too much to list but just watch some of his videos.  He even has some recent ones where he's going so fast the wheel just gives up and shuts off at high speed.  But he wears protective gear so he can ride fast and push the limits of the wheel.

Speedway racing is great, full lock power slide with no brakes.

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Is that your elbow? Nice repair? New Zealand does have modern medicine?

Thanks @Rehab1 - yes, that is my elbow. 

And no @litewave, that is not #8 wire - though it may have been recycled from an abandoned farm hay-baler.

I may brag about it @Chris Westland, and with reason too (I think) - after I did it I got on a plane and spent 3 weeks touring the USA, before returning home to get that x-ray. It's funny as it didn't hurt at all, but did bruise just a bit while I was away...

942542_932315133524827_71452763059435022

But it wasn't EUC related - it was one of those stupid hoverboard things... Two small wheels with independent drive is just asking for trouble! 

Seriously though - it didn't hurt at all! Though that may just be the medication I'm on. 

Not surprisingly, a lot of people said I should go to a doctor - but it didn't hurt! 

Though,  once I found out it was broken (snapped the olecranon process clean off), I realised that I could hold my arm just so and then clench to "wiggle" the broken bit!

This is what it looked like before they fixed it...

PSX_20161030_191321.jpg

The bit on the right (the bit I could wiggle) is supposed to be bolted to the ulna (bone at the bottom).

And while you're looking... Check out that gun!

Fat Unicyclists are awesome!!!

@John Eucist Can you add this badge of honor symbol next to each member's name that has submitted photos of an injury riding a EUC or @The Fat Unicycliststupid hoverboard?

With @Hunka Hunka Burning Loves 'Plus Member' status along with all of his other credentials including astronaut, pilot, physician, detective, judge, attorney, physicist, engineer, scientist, mathematician, athlete, sex therapist, etc, I believe he would be the most qualified to review each claim to make sure the photos of the injury are legitimate!:c1:

IMG_0423.JPG

Archived