I bet nobody's been injured like this before

flashrite

I was practicing balancing on my KS 14C in the garage, and in the process, lost my balance and had to quickly bail. I know that EUC's briefly become homicidal if you bail on them at a certain angle. Not wanting the unicycle to go running off and smashing things in the garage, I grabbed it in a panic. However, I ended up grabbing it by the wheel, and my fingers got sucked into the wheel well. I tried to pull out, but the torque was too great, and I had to grind it out until the speed limit shutoff kicked in. So it looks like I have a nasty case of road rash, and will take about 2 months to fully recover. Luckily no broken bones or nerve damage. I should have taken pics during the injury, but they might be too gory to post here anyway.

Lesson learned: when you bail, just let it spin itself out.

2 minutes ago, flashrite said:

I was practicing balancing on my KS 14C in the garage, and in the process, lost my balance and had to quickly bail. I know that EUC's briefly become homicidal if you bail on them at a certain angle. Not wanting the unicycle to go running off and smashing things in the garage, I grabbed it in a panic. However, I ended up grabbing it by the wheel, and my fingers got sucked into the wheel well. I tried to pull out, but the torque was too great, and I had to grind it out until the speed limit shutoff kicked in. So it looks like I have a nasty case of road rash, and will take about 2 months to fully recover. Luckily no broken bones or nerve damage. I should have taken pics during the injury, but they might be too gory to post here anyway.

Sorry man! 

You hit the nail on the head - let the wheel spin, and stay away from it. The sharp pedal edges flying around can do some damage to your legs if they are in the way. I myself got hurt this way back in the day when i was just learning to ride.

another important thing to remember. If you let the wheel (kingsong 14c) spin and shut down, dont simply place it vertially again to let it regain balance. Turn the wheel off and on. If you dont do this, the wheel will regain balance and if this situation is repeated before the wheel is turned off next time,  the wheel will not turn itself off again! It will keep spinning forever and can damage things and people around. Important to remember

Ouch. Glad you survived.

I think these wheels can be potentially dangerous when they are spinning out of control. When I was learning (waaaay back in August) the wheel got away from me and as it was spinning once or twice the pedal whacked my ankle. I got a tennis ball size bruise, and my ankle is still recovering.

Thankfully I don't lose control any more (knock on wood), but I'll never grab the wheel - just jump away like it's a rattle snake.

That's a nifty little tool you've got there, the cutoff switch. I might have to build one. But I also like the trolley handle, which looks much sturdier than the KS trolley handle. What parts did you use to build it?

21 hours ago, Cloud said:

If you let the wheel (kingsong 14c) spin and shut down, dont simply place it vertially again to let it regain balance. Turn the wheel off and on. If you dont do this, the wheel will regain balance and if this situation is repeated before the wheel is turned off next time,  the wheel will not turn itself off again! It will keep spinning forever and can damage things and people around. Important to remember

Wow. I've never heard about this.  Scary if true.  Do you have a source for this?  EDIT: @Jason McNeil can you confirm or deny this?

4 hours ago, John Eucist said:

Wow. I've never heard about this.  Scary if true.  Do you have a source for this?

Well its true in relation to the lift test and i believe it could be the same when the wheel falls and spins. I tried it myself. If you do a lift test snd let the wheel spin and will spin fast and shut down. But after regaining balance if you do yhe spin test again it will not shut down and just keep spinning. Luckily these situations are rare that the wheel will spin out of control 2 times in a row without switching off and back on again, but it could happen to someone

it is possible that the wheel behaves differently when cutting off after a fall on the side, i should test it more, but i suspect it may be doing the same thing

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Well its true in relation to the lift test and i believe it could be the same when the wheel falls and spins. I tried it myself. If you do a lift test snd let the wheel spin and will spin fast and shut down. But after regaining balance if you do yhe spin test again it will not shut down and just keep spinning. Luckily these situations are rare that the wheel will spin out of control 2 times in a row without switching off and back on again, but it could happen to someone

it is possible that the wheel behaves differently when cutting off after a fall on the side, i should test it more, but i suspect it may be doing the same thing

I just tested all three of my KS14-800W in Shenzhen and it doesn't do what you described.  Weird.  Also two of them were bought several months apart.  (two of them have the usb port, the newer one does not).

18 hours ago, flashrite said:

Sorry about your strange injury. I wish you a fast recovery. I usually have lanyard tethered to my waist belt when I ride in the public sidewalks. The idea is to prevent the wheel to run off against oncoming traffic. But I don't know what to expect when the wheel cuts off when I'm tethered. Am I going to tangle with the string during the fall or wheel will pull me into oncoming traffic along with it...hard to calculate now.

1 hour ago, John Eucist said:

I just tested all three of my KS14-800W in Shenzhen and it doesn't do what you described.  Weird.  Also two of them were bought several months apart.  (two of them have the usb port, the newer one does not).

Mine definitely did that. And i tried it on someone elses wheel and it did that too. I will test it again tonight

17 hours ago, Mistagear said:

A member of my family was so concerned that her wheel might roll-on/spin after bailing that she asked me to fit a cut-out switch and lanyard. Works well in preventing an escaping wheel. Lanyard clips to your belt

image.jpeg

Don't pull it when riding :ph34r:

I always have a learner's strap attached to the wheel, no way it can get away from me. Also, I'm almost always able to keep it upright. I have had to jump off my wheel many dozens of times and it still looks like the day I bought it.

20 hours ago, flashrite said:

Normally it should switch off at 45 degree tilted to the side and 30 degree to the front and back.

If it's rolling away with out you run beside and give a kick on the side with your shoe. It smash on the floor and get some scratches but you don't get hurt. 

I wish you a fast recovery. 

Sorry to hear @flashrite. I had something similar happen to me at a Tradeshow a couple years ago with training Wheels attached to a Unicycle. Someone jumped off, but with the appendage to the pedals, it wasn't able to cut-out below the 45°point. The Wheel was flying around quite violently, I had to try to grab it, reached in, my fingers took nasty hit from a sharp aluminum edge. For this reason, I've since depreciated use of training Wheels—find they're also counterproductive to people trying to learn how to use the Wheel. 

Do you guys think warning stickers like these would serve a benefit if applied to the Wheel?

J6014.png

4 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Sorry to hear @flashrite. I had something similar happen to me at a Tradeshow a couple years ago with training Wheels attached to a Unicycle. Someone jumped off, but with the appendage to the pedals, it wasn't able to cut-out below the 45°point. The Wheel was flying around quite violently, I had to try to grab it, reached in, my fingers took nasty hit from a sharp aluminum edge. For this reason, I've since depreciated use of training Wheels—find they're also counterproductive to people trying to learn how to use the Wheel. 

Do you guys think warning stickers like these would serve a benefit if applied to the Wheel?

J6014.png

LOL that GRAPHICAL icon should be a very effective deterrent.  Did you make it? :D 

My buddy a few days ago tried to move the KS-16 into another seat in his car. With the wheel off, he grabbed the tire and with it free spinning the wheel spun taking his hand and fingers into the wheel well. The edge of the kingsong shell caught his thumbnail and basically ripped it off.

So basically never put your hand near the wheel on or off.

Warning stickers are only as useful as people wanting to heed them.  I noticed there is a nice one on some of the ACM's in videos, but there's tons of fine print.  It can't hurt I guess to have them on a wheel, but maybe it's better to be placed inside a manual.  I fear the day that some little kid plays around with an unattended wheel and ends up getting hurt as the free spinning wheel when tilted over can be pretty powerful.  Add to that some of the powered charging ports... just trouble ready to happen.  Maybe a safety power engage key might be a good addition to allow a push button start like in some vehicles.  Would they make a car or motorcycle with no locks and a push button start so that any kid can press a button a go?  Proooobably not.  So why make these EUCs without that additional safety?

Why can't the wheel shut off automatically when a greater than 45-60 degree tilt longer than 2 seconds is detected?  There must be some method to detect a zero load free spin situation as well you would think?  That acceleration pattern is pretty identifiable?  We need some smarter firmware!

6 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I fear the day that some little kid plays around with an unattended wheel and ends up getting hurt as the free spinning wheel when tilted over can be pretty powerful.  

Jeez this is something that has never occurred to me. I usually store my wheel inside and have caught my toddlers turning it on once or twice. I've always told them off for doing it and they are good kids that don't do something once I have told them not to. It never crossed my mind that they may get their little hands caught in the moving parts. Ignorant of me I guess. This is a really scary as all children are curious little souls and are really good at finding ways to hurt themselves. Thank you so much for making this point. I will be finding a new place for the wheel ASAP. Please share this with everyone you know that has a wheel and kids before something bad happens.

53 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

My buddy a few days ago tried to move the KS-16 into another seat in his car. With the wheel off, he grabbed the tire and with it free spinning the wheel spun taking his hand and fingers into the wheel well. The edge of the kingsong shell caught his thumbnail and basically ripped it off.

So basically never put your hand near the wheel on or off.

Ouch! Looks like I'm not the only one. Will he be able to make a full recovery?

Archived