I bet nobody's been injured like this before

flashrite

5 hours ago, Cloud said:

Well its true in relation to the lift test and i believe it could be the same when the wheel falls and spins. I tried it myself. If you do a lift test snd let the wheel spin and will spin fast and shut down. But after regaining balance if you do yhe spin test again it will not shut down and just keep spinning. Luckily these situations are rare that the wheel will spin out of control 2 times in a row without switching off and back on again, but it could happen to someone

it is possible that the wheel behaves differently when cutting off after a fall on the side, i should test it more, but i suspect it may be doing the same thing

I guess you gotta take the way I ride into consideration too...still scary though.

I know firsthand what kids will do as I was a kid once plus I kinda still am!  ;)  I would place my tongue on a semi-unplugged lamp plug to see what electricity from the 120 V outlet felt like.  It's a strong zap/tingle!  I'm no pediatrician (unlike @Greg Spalding :D) , but after seeing some of these electrical burn injuries that children have experienced, I'm surprised I'm not a deformed mess of flesh as I've done some silly things in my childhood.  Finding out that some wheels have live power to the charging port which is covered by a rubber flip off tab is alarming as any kid who flips that cover off can give it a lick... or even a pet might do it...

It's wise to keep in mind these personal electric vehicles are not toys even though they have attractive flashing lights and make beeping sounds irresistable to most children, pets, and some adults (me included!), but they have their inherent dangers...

Sucking on extension plug...

art-472812.fig1.jpg

It is for my old touring RV, they cover outdoor plugs, water hookups even for the pooper drain hook-up and in different sizes. I bet you can find them in plastic too. It could fix the accidental push as well as the kid thing. Kinda ugly but so is pain!

s-l1000.jpg

As for that kid...that is so effed up! Where were the mom and dad?

Even the best parents can't watch their children 24/7 ... nor should they. This is like a one-in-a-million case.

Speaking of safety I shouldn't have bragged about safely jumping off the wheel dozens of times and being able to keep it upright. I have just had my first real crash, reason unknown - either the wheel cut out (350W, 132Wh vs. approx. 280lbs.) or I just leaned to far forward and fell off the pedals, lol.

I surprised my fat-assed couch-potato self though, did a nice tuck-and-roll, no bruise, no rash, no torn clothing.

On 10/14/2016 at 1:40 PM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I know firsthand what kids will do as I was a kid once plus I kinda still am!  ;)  I would place my tongue on a semi-unplugged lamp plug to see what electricity from the 120 V outlet felt like.  It's a strong zap/tingle!  I'm no pediatrician (unlike @Greg Spalding :D) , but after seeing some of these electrical burn injuries that children have experienced, I'm surprised I'm not a deformed mess of flesh as I've done some silly things in my childhood.  Finding out that some wheels have live power to the charging port which is covered by a rubber flip off tab is alarming as any kid who flips that cover off can give it a lick... or even a pet might do it...

It's wise to keep in mind these personal electric vehicles are not toys even though they have attractive flashing lights and make beeping sounds irresistable to most children, pets, and some adults (me included!), but they have their inherent dangers...

Sucking on extension plug...

art-472812.fig1.jpg

That is horrible! It appears to be a 2004 WebMD picture so hopefully the kid has fully recovered. I am sure plastic surgeons were involved.

The pediatric academy does make strides to keep parents abreast of ongoing safety issues but there can be an over saturated-numbing effect after awhile. The 'back to sleep program' is one example that began in the the early 90s. Parents are still are so afraid of SIDS that sometimes they do not comply with physician recommendations to introduce supervised 'tummy time' for their infants. Subsequently I see 5 kiddos a week with flat heads. 

I could go on and on about children's injuries I have been involved with but the one that really stands out in my mind is a two year old boy with Spina Bifida. He did not have any feeling in his lower extremities from the hips on down. The family's pit bull chewed off one of his legs while he was sleeping. The child never once cried out in pain.

Yikes that is just awful.   It's worse enough to have Spina Bifida then to add an injury like that.  I know some people like pit bulls and maybe they are a misunderstood breed, but there are too many bad stories with them involved.

I don't think I could deal with being a pediatrician or doing what you do.  Must be tough seeing these little kids suffer.

3 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I don't think I could deal with being a pediatrician or doing what you do.  Must be tough seeing these little kids suffer.

You get my respect too @Greg Spalding I couldn't do it! Someone has to keep our kids healthy. Thanx man! :)

On the original subject. Surprised someone didn't mention it, but the new Inmotion V series has a safety power switch for this reason I think.

great words above, from all of you

i am truly the luckiest guy in the world to get to care for the children of my community

25 year so far... i hope to do so for as long as i can

watching them grow up... seeing their collective resiliency... their bravery... their resolve

if only more adults could adopt their wide-eyed wonder in the world around them... instead of swimming in a pool of negativity....

... but, i digress :D

have i told you lately how happy i am to be a part of this wonderful community?

Archived