New firmware v 1.22

vido

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Adlers83 said:

The best is definitely the solved shaking problem. Very nice smooth ride now! Excellent Kingsong !!

I also updated today to 1.22 and it working great.

I can also confirm the smoother riding experience at higher speeds over 30km/h. ???

@Adlers83 do you or does anyone else notice the different motor noise too? I noticed that if I am accelerating it sounds differently than with the former 1.21 firmware...

So - have not rode it yet after upgrade to v1.22 but first few observations after brief check in the lobby:

- Haven't tested yet the distance calculation bug so atm status unknown

- The "white" LED flickering on side lights has improved a lot mainly in the Mode 3 though still present in Modes 1 + 2 (in same amount as in 1.18 or lower and that most likely down to serial addressing of RGB LEDs)

- The Flashing light mode bug in app is still present

- The AUX button bug introduced in v1.21 is still present so you can't control lights anymore

- The old bug from pre-1.21 firmwares is back so the wheel again doesn't remember the Light mode settings!

Last two bugs mean that you can't at use the wheel without mobile app if you require lights to be permanently on!

So once again rushed FW with zero testing from KS side :( I really DO wonder @OliverH if they have any clue of how the QA and software testing works??

39 minutes ago, HEC said:

- The AUX button bug introduced in v1.21 is still present so you can't control lights anymore

- The old bug from pre-1.21 firmwares is back so the wheel again doesn't remember the Light mode settings!

So once again rushed FW with zero testing from KS side :( I really DO wonder @OliverH if they have any clue of how the QA and software testing works??

Yes, the bug of forgetting the light mode settings seems to be back. However, the AUX button works if you haven't set the lights with the mobile app after powering on the wheel. Of course that will come with the penalty of the loud "Hello, King Song!" greeting... Luckily the v1.4 of the mobile app only causes beeps when setting the mode.

The side LEDs work a lot better than with the previous version. I guess in my case it means that I can turn off the animation and the setting is persistent. The battery level is still shown when the wheel is standing still.

It looks like we are doing quite a lot of the testing. Maybe we should compile a list of test cases as well... :P

43 minutes ago, HEC said:

So - have not rode it yet after upgrade to v1.22 but first few observations after brief check in the lobby:

- Haven't tested yet the distance calculation bug so atm status unknown

- The "white" LED flickering on side lights has improved a lot mainly in the Mode 3 though still present in Modes 1 + 2 (in same amount as in 1.18 or lower and that most likely down to serial addressing of RGB LEDs)

- The Flashing light mode bug in app is still present

Last two bugs mean that you can't at use the wheel without mobile app if you require lights to be permanently on!

After the first positive responses here I thought they did it well this time. Testing and bug tracking/ feature request handling (changes) can be managed with service management. If you establish processes based on ITIL you'll catch a lot trouble. But you need the skills and maturity to do it. We could help them, if there's some output back (no money, safety features to be prepared for future).

By the way, my wife's KS16 is still on 1.15 and I really like to eliminate this hope on power cut bug.

38 minutes ago, lepovirta said:

However, the AUX button works if you haven't set the lights with the mobile app after powering on the wheel. Of course that will come with the penalty of the loud "Hello, King Song!" greeting... Luckily the v1.4 of the mobile app only causes beeps when setting the mode.

Nice - haven't noticed that - thanks for sharing the yet another hidden "feature" ;) 

28 minutes ago, OliverH said:

Testing and bug tracking/ feature request handling (changes) can be managed with service management. If you establish processes based on ITIL you'll catch a lot trouble. But you need the skills and maturity to do it. We could help them, if there's some output back (no money, safety features to be prepared for future).

I believe @Jason McNeil already suggested to KS / @tinawong that new FW shall be tested by selected group of "power users" prior public release to avoid exactly this situations but lack of response is really disturbing ... In regards of compensation while I believe that most would gladly participate for free it would still be cheaper for KS to reward testers in some way to avoid current problems. And indeed some standard testing process should be in place for such procedures.

34 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

one wonders how long their own QC staff tested this same code. 

One of the real failings of software design and testing (IMHO) is the tendency to have test scripts designed to test every eventuality, the trouble is the designers have the same scripts and so design the software to meet them.

In my company I got invited to attend software testing as I was the lead training consultant and I needed to understand fully how the software worked (and didn't work) so I could develop the corresponding training courses in time for launch.

The first thing I did was throw away the test scripts! At each stage I would say to myself: "what would my students do at this point". I found something in the order of twice as many problems as anyone else! At the very least, any we were unable to fix in time were adequately covered in training to prevent people pressing the wrong buttons :-)

So, really I'm not at all suprised that good knowledgable users like @HEC find more problems than QA do. Shame I don't have a KS-16 :-)

1 hour ago, Keith said:

One of the real failings of software design and testing (IMHO) is the tendency to have test scripts designed to test every eventuality, the trouble is the designers have the same scripts and so design the software to meet them.

In my company I got invited to attend software testing as I was the lead training consultant and I needed to understand fully how the software worked (and didn't work) so I could develop the corresponding training courses in time for launch.

The first thing I did was throw away the test scripts! At each stage I would say to myself: "what would my students do at this point". I found something in the order of twice as many problems as anyone else! At the very least, any we were unable to fix in time were adequately covered in training to prevent people pressing the wrong buttons :-)

So, really I'm not at all suprised that good knowledgable users like @HEC find more problems than QA do. Shame I don't have a KS-16 :-)

The worst people to test the software are those who wrote it... automated unit- and integration-tests work great for catching small programming and logic mishaps, and to check that refactored/changed code still behaves as it should from interface-standpoint, but you should never, ever use the same people who write the software to do the actual "functional" testing ;)  There's a psychologic factor, once you know how the software is written (ie. how it works under the hood), you're inclined to use it exactly the way it was written for... well, that was probably badly worded, but I've seen so many cases where a tester (who doesn't know anything about the internal workings of the software) makes it crash / misbehave by doing something "unexpected" when using the program :P

@DS Version V1.22 "enhanced the starting torque"...

As our expert to Wattnumbers on idling perhaps you might want to test?

Also the "naming" of this improvement "enhanced the starting torque" makes me optimistic that this "power cutting" to a certain amount of Watt is only on starting!

i could imagine, that this behaviour is not on "complete" driving...seams to be a different Kind of protecting the board, before they have done that with the 3 second ramp up time?!

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@DS Version V1.22 "enhanced the starting torque"...

As our expert to Wattnumbers on idling perhaps you might want to test?

Thank you for making me aware of 1.22 :)

He, he, I like that "Wattnumbers expert" ;)

When back from work I'll upgrade and test the new FW...but the rain is coming :(

31 minutes ago, OliverH said:

Is the feature list of Android 1.4 and iOS Kingsong-New the same?

@Jason McNeil from where do you have the information that the new iOS app will be released around 20th August?

Maybe it will take a few days until the App Stores of all countries will provide the update...

I guess it will come out soon... ?

5 hours ago, DS said:

Thank you for making me aware of 1.22 :)

He, he, I like that "Wattnumbers expert" ;)

When back from work I'll upgrade and test the new FW...but the rain is coming :(

Successfully updated to 1.22

This time I recorded videos...if you guys could see power improvement, because I can not see. First video is with 1.21, second 1.22 FW

Archived