Practice for a Power Shut Off?

Rehab1

34 minutes ago, DS said:

I was thinking also to remote the power button on my generic EUC with an one meter cable IOT get the real feeling of power cut while riding.

If an EUC is only remotely reasonably designed, the power button is only functional at stand still. It is the case for my Gotway, even when moving slowly by hand, the power off button does not work. Did you check that you can turn off the generic while it is moving?

2 minutes ago, Niko said:

If an EUC is only remotely reasonably designed, the power button is only functional at stand still.

I just checked with KS16. True, you can not turn it off while in motion.

Never checked this with the generic, but you got the idea - to cut off the power intentionally while riding.

4 minutes ago, Niko said:

If an EUC is only remotely reasonably designed, the power button is only functional at stand still. It is the case for my Gotway, even when moving slowly by hand, the power button does not work. Did you check that you can turn off the generic while it is moving?

Unfortunatelly yes. Cheap generic EUCs have a mechanical on / off switch only instead of push button evaluated by firmwate on the board.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Fat Unicyclist, this device is awesome! Still working on cost and how to recharge.

I saw this a year or so ago (before I had an EUC) and didn't even think about it until your comment earlier. 

What I don't know is whether it would work for an EUC faceplant? If it is triggered by a sudden jolt (like car air bags) then it may not deploy until after the impact...

10 hours ago, AlanR said:

Just a thought - placing a large block to hit as suggested by @HunkaHunkaBurningLovemay not replicate level ground fails because you will be anticipating the event?

Close your eyes at random distances while you approach the block.  B)  I'd make sure to wear safety protection items while practicing and only try this on grass...

On 4 июня 2016 г. at 0:21 PM, Rehab1 said:

Has anyone ever practiced for a Power Shut Off?

Rather than practice for a shut off, or maybe in addition to it, lets try to prevent the severity of the consequences of one. Here is one behavior ive realized is good practice when riding - try to avoid proximiy to any, especially sharp objects, in your direct path. Cut off can happen any time and it will happen if you ride long enough.

For example, i sometimes ride making a lot of manouvers around fences, peoples, open doors, cars, etc. what happens if the wheel cuts out when i am close to and right in front of a sharp hard object, like edge if a fence when i am about to graciously jump around it? Im gonna fly right into it. So, a good practice, as a rule, would be to visullize your direct travel path to make sure there is noone directly in it in close proximity. The safe distance to an object in front of you is of course proportional to your speed. You may think its a long shot, but with long enough riding the probability of a shut off increases to an almost 100%. You can still ride skillfully, fast and still make cool manouvers - just try to direct the patch towards open areas.

I totally agree with awareness and visualizing your path ahead in case an escape manuever becomes needed. Sort of take the fun out of free wheelin while listening to music but practicing maneuvers such as quick stops and sharp turns is a given. Hopefully it just becomes subliminal or second nature.

You can make a simple "hang man" kind of device to practice being dropped from cut-off wheel:

Small (wooden) platform mounted on two small beams with an axle underneath fitted in the stand (preferably on ball bearings) slightly "unbalanced forward with the safely pin(s) on the side which will suddenly get pulled out (either by a friend or some kind of timing / spring mechanism) and the platform will till front and throw you down. You can build in in the would shop under half hour - no need to involve your precious EUCs at all ;)

Or just stand on the children swing and "dive" to front :D

11 hours ago, HEC said:

You can make a simple "hang man" kind of device to practice being dropped from cut-off wheel:

Small (wooden) platform mounted on two small beams with an axle underneath fitted in the stand (preferably on ball bearings) slightly "unbalanced forward with the safely pin(s) on the side which will suddenly get pulled out (either by a friend or some kind of timing / spring mechanism) and the platform will till front and throw you down. You can build in in the would shop under half hour - no need to involve your precious EUCs at all ;)

Or just stand on the children swing and "dive" to front :D

Thank you for the kind advice HEC. I like the platform idea! Need something soft to fall into like a ball pit during practice.  Well I didn't have a power shut off this weekend  but had to abruptly stop, jump off and roll so I would not collide with a bunch of stupid kids on an ATV. 

3 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

BTW what the hec @HEC LOL I though I had a bug crazy around on my monitor with that avatar of yours.  :lol:

I spent 10 minutes trying to squash it too! 

Find a gente slope with a not too deep hole in the road, and accelerate (lean forward) as fast as you can 2m before the hole.

You can try this at 5km/h (or slower) the first time, and increase the speed gradually as you become more experience.

Don't forget to capture the experience on video for us.

Good luck, may the Big Rider watch over you.

PS: wear full joint-protecting gear and a good helmet.

On 6/5/2016 at 8:45 PM, Cloud said:

Rather than practice for a shut off, or maybe in addition to it, lets try to prevent the severity of the consequences of one. Here is one behavior ive realized is good practice when riding - try to avoid proximiy to any, especially sharp objects, in your direct path. Cut off can happen any time and it will happen if you ride long enough.

For example, i sometimes ride making a lot of manouvers around fences, peoples, open doors, cars, etc. what happens if the wheel cuts out when i am close to and right in front of a sharp hard object, like edge if a fence when i am about to graciously jump around it? Im gonna fly right into it. So, a good practice, as a rule, would be to visullize your direct travel path to make sure there is noone directly in it in close proximity. The safe distance to an object in front of you is of course proportional to your speed. You may think its a long shot, but with long enough riding the probability of a shut off increases to an almost 100%. You can still ride skillfully, fast and still make cool manouvers - just try to direct the patch towards open areas.

yep, very good suggestions.

I'm always slowing down to almost walking speed when approaching these litlle poles they put everywhere in the city; if you touch it with a pedal and hit your head or neck on the top of one of these poles it's not going to end well.

On 6/5/2016 at 6:41 PM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Close your eyes at random distances while you approach the block.  B)  I'd make sure to wear safety protection items while practicing and only try this on grass...

"hey look mom, there's an astronaut riding a flying saucer with his eyes closed", BANG :o

23 hours ago, Jurgen said:

"hey look mom, there's an astronaut riding a flying saucer with his eyes closed", BANG :o

Hey Jurgen: so let me get this straight. You would like me to practice a simulated shut off by starting on a gentle slope with a not too deep hole in the road and accelerate as fast as I can approximately 2m before the hole while occasionally closing my eyes. Most important... capturing the event on video? Nice:wacko:

On 6/5/2016 at 8:53 AM, dmethvin said:

I am not convinced that you can practice for a true shutoff. I've had several close calls with balance due to hitting potholes, uneven pavement, or the pedals scraping something. For most of those I've managed to run off or at least gently roll onto the ground with no scrapes or hard contact. Once I overleaned into to the point of shutoff, and the problem is that when you're going that fast and already leaning forward there is no opportunity to get your feet out in front of you because you're already at a 45-degree angle with the ground. You are going DOWN!

That is a very good point about the angle you would be already leaning forward.

@Cloud That is a good point, when I am riding am always aware of the environment.  I don't like to get too close to chain link fences, trees. buildings, or anything that would hurt worse to fall in to.  So when riding in the park I stay about 10 feet away from anything like that, and people I give an even wider berth.

Hello thought i'd chime in having had 3 engine cutoffs on my old zipwheel twice due to bms i think and the third was due to a wire on the switch when the crimp slipped off as bumped down a kerb luckily for me i was able to hop of the wheel and hit the ground running on all three i would personally say there isnt a way to practice as each time it happened i was unprepared for it but i think the only thing that really helped was forward planning and positioning yourself in such a way to minimise the risk to yourself, others, property and of course your wheel i think the most important thing is being stood straight when it happens, accelerate with your feet and try not to use leaning as you driving force as its more likely to faceplant if it cuts out because you would have a poor center of gravity i find when it cuts out you feel the instant change at your feet and seems like reflex to hop off it but with the momentum the wheel has it does tend to continue at speed so be prepared to run after it before it cause someone or something damage i know this isnt much but i hope this can be of some use to you

On 6/8/2016 at 8:01 PM, Rehab1 said:

Hey Jurgen: so let me get this straight. You would like me to practice a simulated shut off by starting on a gentle slope with a not too deep hole in the road and accelerate as fast as I can approximately 2m before the hole while occasionally closing my eyes. Most important... capturing the event on video? Nice:wacko:

I would very much recommend you keep your eyes open, but appart from that 'minor' detail, yes that's the idea :rolleyes:

On 5.6.2016 at 6:34 AM, Rehab1 said:

After watching @EUC Extreme videos you are probably right! He would be the perfect teacher! Hopefully he will respond. Next question: Do any companies offer full body gear with air conditioning?

Sorry to keep response delay. I popped Gotway at the factory, and was a bit busy :)
The answer is, not to my knowledge any ready-made whole shelter.
I think every crash is different. I will be very much crashes which I have not been able to prepare.

On 6/13/2016 at 11:41 PM, EUC Extreme said:

Sorry to keep response delay. I popped Gotway at the factory, and was a bit busy :)
The answer is, not to my knowledge any ready-made whole shelter.
I think every crash is different. I will be very much crashes which I have not been able to prepare.

Good point.  Every crash is different., so is hard to prepare.

Archived