Did you use any shin pads / calf compression sleeves while learning?

vladmarks

Hey euc lovers!

I know there are lots of you who started riding very basic default models purchased off alibaba, ebay and other retailers. These tend to have sharp top corners and hurt your calves more than some of the newer models.

Have any of you used/still use particular protection gear for calves to make the learning a bit easier and prevent bruising? 

We've recently ordered several boxes of branded custom equipment that has extra silicon inserts on the inner sides. The main reason I'm asking is to gather feedback and provide our future customers with some insight about these kits. 

So far, our tests during the academies show that wearing a set reduces your leg fatigue during the training. However, in order to make a fair test we'd have to set two similar individuals with almost identical physique, which wasn't possible so far.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this: maybe you used some kind of alternative to guard your shins during the training? Just like my technique of rolling up the sweatpants so that only the softest spot interacts with the EUC :D :D

IMG_20160503_170245.jpg

I used sturdy walking boots with thick hiking socks, protected my shins and legs well. I found these also made control easier as there was less give in the ankles when leaning forwards/backwards.

Even now I find it more comfortable and tend to go a bit faster when wearing boots.

Yes, I did. Not the first day though. Got the idea that I tend to press my shins against the 9b1 to get better cotnrol of it. So I had to buy some generic football shin guards. Got more comfortable ride and no bruises after that. Hiking boots did good job protecting my ankles and giving me more stability due to thicker/sturdier sole. I continued to use shin guard for a week or so after my initial learning prosess.

Now, many weeks later I don't use any shin protection and feel comfortable enough to ride with any shoe type I want.

Oh, my wife did use knee high boots to learn on the same 9b1 and it seem to help a lot - supporting lower leg parts as well as protecting them.

After couple days of riding, my right shin in particular became incredibly sore. I ended up buying a relatively expensive neoprene shin guard for that shin. The difference was night and day. However I no longer wear it for several reasons. Firstly, I no longer need it, therefore it's no longer worth the trouble of putting on. Secondly, it made my leg sweaty and soaked up the sweat. Eww. I suppose that something cheaper like a regular shin guard set with an outer shell would have worked just as well.

i did it the other way round and padded my generic with 1cm neoprene cell rubber. this stuff was hard to find in sheets / small quantities, but works great. even though my new mcm4 has pretty decent padding, i'm actually considering replacing it with neoprene cell rubber too.

3 hours ago, vladmarks said:

Hey euc lovers!

I know there are lots of you who started riding very basic default models purchased off alibaba, ebay and other retailers. These tend to have sharp top corners and hurt your calves more than some of the newer models.

Have any of you used/still use particular protection gear for calves to make the learning a bit easier and prevent bruising? 

We've recently ordered several boxes of branded custom equipment that has extra silicon inserts on the inner sides. The main reason I'm asking is to gather feedback and provide our future customers with some insight about these kits. 

So far, our tests during the academies show that wearing a set reduces your leg fatigue during the training. However, in order to make a fair test we'd have to set two similar individuals with almost identical physique, which wasn't possible so far.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this: maybe you used some kind of alternative to guard your shins during the training? Just like my technique of rolling up the sweatpants so that only the softest spot interacts with the EUC :D :D

IMG_20160503_170245.jpg

Would have loved to use these when I started on a cheap generic wheel and later continued to learn on a NB1. Bruised my chins pretty good in the first few weeks. These snugglies could probably have cut my (quite lengthy) learning time in half  :mellow:. Great job!

I used a very low-tech solution to save my shins - please don't laugh at the method of my madness! For the first week of learning to ride I made 2 'sleeves' out of bubble wrap for my lower legs. I stuck a couple pieces of velcro on each to keep them tight around my calves and so i could easily re-use them. Of course I wore these under my pant legs so I wouldn't look like a dork! These bubble wrap sleeves worked wonders - the 'air cushion' around my legs allowed me to ride a lot longer each day, and with much less discomfort. After a week I noticed my legs weren't getting sore at all while riding so I stopped wearing them.

You'll be glad to hear that your shins eventually get acclimatized to the pressure of the EU against your legs and soon you won't need any protection at all - and surprisingly your legs won't feel this type of discomfort while riding ever again!

12 hours ago, Nuo Meng said:

I used a very low-tech solution to save my shins - please don't laugh at the method of my madness! For the first week of learning to ride I made 2 'sleeves' out of bubble wrap for my lower legs. I stuck a couple pieces of velcro on each to keep them tight around my calves and so i could easily re-use them. Of course I wore these under my pant legs so I wouldn't look like a dork! These bubble wrap sleeves worked wonders - the 'air cushion' around my legs allowed me to ride a lot longer each day, and with much less discomfort. After a week I noticed my legs weren't getting sore at all while riding so I stopped wearing them.

You'll be glad to hear that your shins eventually get acclimatized to the pressure of the EU against your legs and soon you won't need any protection at all - and surprisingly your legs won't feel this type of discomfort while riding ever again!

Whatever suits you, man! :D 

Back when I was learning (abt a year ago), I noticed that the right side of my EUC leaves quite a visible ridge on my right shin. Maybe that was simply cause i loved shorts so much.

Would've been thankful having these a year ago while learning. As you mentioned there are several ways to cheat on this process, but wrapping your legs with bubble wrap and trying to hide them under the trousers sounds like a lot of work for a routine ride... 

22 hours ago, vladmarks said:

I used hard shin guards turned inwards for about a week (after abandoning the soft ones), then mounted them in this position on the wheel instead of putting them on the legs for about four weeks (mounting on a Gotway MCM2 worked just fine using the stretches from the shin guards), then I used the white foam which came with the packaging of the wheel taped on the wheel. Still using the latter for about a year now. 

On 5/16/2016 at 6:30 AM, vladmarks said:

Hey euc lovers!

IMG_20160503_170245.jpg

No I did not but I really should have! I still wear shin guards and high top shoes almost always because I still injure my shins doing tricks, both on the front and sides. I Really wish I thought of it when I first got my wheel, I was kind of bruised up. Lol.

Those shin guards look so sick!!

Note to the manufacturer: They could make the side with the padding have a little grip and maybe also connect the pad part using velcro making it removable and can be relocated on the actual shin guard that would make them more accommodating to many different style riders needs.

• 7 months later...

I had to search for this hurt, sore ankle problem.  I'm new to the electric wheel, just bought myself a Ninebot One C+ for Christmas. Now after riding it for a total of about 8hrs since Christmas, I'm suffering with a very sore and bruised top right ankle, with skin rubbed off.  The left ankle is in better shape but there is a little soreness.  I determined the soreness was occurring right at the bottom of the big pad on the sides of Ninebot.

My ankles/legs are so sore and tender, it makes riding the wheel extremely unpleasant.

I am somewhat relieved that this is a normal evolution in learning to ride the wheel. And that I'm not the only one to experience it.  Earlier this evening, I created some foam pads that I cut from seat cushions that my wife had left over from a project.  I cut the pads large enough to cover my ankle and a little higher.  Then stuffed the pads into my socks between my ankle and the Ninebot.  Wow, what a difference.... 

Weather permitting I will ride around tomorrow during lunchtime. The parking lot is basically empty this time of the year.

Question: So which wheel is most painful and which is most comfortable?  

I can definitely say the Ninebot One C+ is extremely painfull because of the hard pad on each side and where the end of that pad strikes on your leg.  For me that would be right above my ankle bone.  I can't see me riding this thing without some padding on my leg.  I'm thinking it may have been best if they had extended the padding lower and also taperered it inward on the lower part.  

7 minutes ago, Wagtenor said:

Question: So which wheel is most painful and which is most comfortable?  

My experience is limited, but my Inmotion V8 with no padding is much more comfortable than my Ninebot C+ with the big, hard, square foam "pads."

@Wagtenor As mentioned above, the EUCs with the square battery boxes tend to be harder on your shins and calves. The main thing is that once you've been riding for a while it doesn't tend to hurt because you'll be applying just enough pressure to control the wheel. That's true even for the boxy wheels. 

Thanks for replies guys.  Good to know that at some point I won't hurt myself as much while I control it.  Looking forward to that....

@rdalcanto I do have my eye on the Inmotion V8 as a possible upgrade once I become proficient.  My only concern though is battery size, primarily because I'm 205lbs.  I'm thinking at a minimum I would need 630WH battery to get a solid 12mile range.  But I'm not yet proficient, so got some time to research.  I'm now putting comfort toward the top of my requirements.  Inmotion seems to make solid, safe and well designed wheels though - based on what I'm reading thus far... I do like that.

When I started I couldn't ride without using hard shin protectors. Now, after a few 1000km, I still have soft foam padding fitted on my wheels, without it's just too unpleasant to ride. My feeling is that this will never change for me, but with the padding all is good. I think I am just unusually sensitive to pressure.

23 minutes ago, Mono said:

When I started I couldn't ride without using hard shin protectors. Now, after a few 1000km, I still have soft foam padding fitted on my wheels, without it's just too unpleasant to ride. My feeling is that this will never change for me, but with the padding all is good.

@Mono what wheel(s) do have?

5 hours ago, Wagtenor said:

I looked into possibly adding some soft padding on my Ninebot, but from what I can tell, where I need the padding - it will interfere with the foot pedals closing. :-(

I don't have a Ninebot, but if you add a thick enough layer over the top paddings (which don't interfere with the pedals), you probably won't touch the wheel with your ankle area anymore. This would be anyway the better strategy, as IMHO the ankles shouldn't touch the wheel anyways, whether in a padded or unpadded area.  

I did start with a IPS zerro. Because of their design i didnt had anny problems with my calves. there is nothing protuding at that heigt. I did have somme minor bruises at my inner ankle however. Too remedie that i did wear high schoes/boots with ski-socks in them. After a while i learned to ride without the need of touching the wheel much and u get used to it.

Thanks guys.  The Ninebot One C+ definitely have a large pad that protrudes and bows outward toward the leg and ends at the bottom which happens to be its furthest protruding area and cuts off right there - at my ankle bone.  For my ankle not to touch this area I would have place my feet on the edges of the pedal.  Since I've only recently started riding - I'll take your word for it that at some point my ankle will not touch the wheel at all - however with this design, I'm not overly confident about that.

Anyway - I have devised ways to overcome the pain and continue to ride/practice.  However, I am actively researching wheels that better fit my anatomy.  At least I hope there are some different designs.  I'll continue to read on the various brands and offerings.  And thanks to the nice people on this forum that readily share their experiences... I can't thank you enough.  Thanks for including the information about your starting wheel @Ponne, Great to know the different wheel designs.

I wouldn't blame the shape of the wheel so much.  No question some are nicer than others, but when you're learning you're going to get some bruises and pain no matter what.

Still, having pain in the ankle or shin while learning really takes the fun out of it. Personally I just got some inexpensive closed-cell foam weatherstripping (the self-adhesive type on a roll) from the local hardware store.  After a few minutes studying how my ankle and shin tended to hit the wheel, I padded it where I needed protection and it made all the difference. 

Suddenly I was having longer, pain-free training sessions and advancing much more quickly.  It was a $6 solution and removing it later is easy.  The weatherstrip just peels off and you can clean up the adhesive with a little glue remover (like Goo Gone) or a 3M Eraser Wheel.

Thanks @Ombre. For now, I simply stuff some padding into my socks.  Just rode for about 30 minutes pain free in the parking lot at my work place.  It's a nice size campus with inclines and all.  Had a great time. 

I do foresee a more powerful wheel with larger battery in near future though.  While the 450W motor on the Ninebot One C+ is good, it was going a little slow to bring my 205+ lbs up some of the hills.  

Archived